IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 13th July 2021, 07:35 AM   #401
SuburbanTurkey

Ohio cop that was fired for stomping on a restrained man's head is getting his job back and back-pay.

Quote:
EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio (WJW) – An East Cleveland officer who was fired after he was caught on video stomping on a man’s head is scheduled to return to the police department in 10 days.

The Fox 8 I-TEAM received a copy of the ruling on Nicholas Foti’s case. The ruling was issued by attorney Bruce B. McIntosh, of Cincinnati, that was sent to East Cleveland officials Friday.

The letter dated July 9 also orders the city to pay Foti back pay. Foti was fired in March. Officials with the Fraternal Order of Police, who represent Foti, filed an appeal. The arbitration hearing was held last week.
https://fox8.com/news/i-team/east-cl...turn-to-force/
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2021, 11:25 AM   #402
SuburbanTurkey

Power cycling a cop to see if it fixes the racism bug.

Quote:
A Knoxville Police Department officer attending a wedding reception while off duty was knocked unconscious after allegedly making racist remarks.

“I didn’t know they let Black people into the reception,” 22-year-old KPD officer Tanner Holt reportedly told a Black man just moments before he was knocked unconscious.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/knoxv...b0639661bcea78
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2021, 11:38 AM   #403
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Power cycling a cop to see if it fixes the racism bug.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/knoxv...b0639661bcea78
Forcing the cop to reboot might remove the bug, but I think it's an issue with the ROM.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2021, 12:25 PM   #404
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
“I didn’t know they let Black people into the reception,” 22-year-old KPD officer Tanner Holt reportedly told a Black man just moments before he was knocked unconscious.
Appearing in new textbooks explaining correlation v causation.

Plus, did you get a load of his pic, all in black in front of the flag with a **** eating grin and Hitler youth haircut?
Old 13th July 2021, 12:28 PM   #405
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"'I didn’t know they let Black people into the reception,' 22-year-old KPD officer Tanner Holt reportedly told a Black man just moments before he was knocked unconscious."

And the Officer Tanner was awarded the Nobel Prize for his work on finding the most efficient route possible form "**** around" to "Find out."
Old 13th July 2021, 02:32 PM   #406
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
"The last words Michael Chad Breinholt heard were, “You’re about to die, my friend.”

With his hands cuffed behind his back, he briefly wrestled with two officers. One screamed that Breinholt was grabbing his holstered gun. Sgt. Tyler Longman rushed into the room, made his declaration and fired.

“He took the time to think about that, to say those words,” Neese said in a recent interview. “And then aim and shoot. And kill Chad.”

It was his third."

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...hooting-video/
Good job it's not an epidemic!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2021, 08:29 PM   #407
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Here's a bit of an aside.

Judge maintains children who saw George Floyd's murder possibly not traumatized because they smiled

*sigh*

Back to the police, though.

My City Invited Citizens to Speak Out Against Racism. The Cops Turned Our Names Over to the FBI.

That sure looks like abuse of power, to say the least.
Old 13th July 2021, 10:58 PM   #408
erlando
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
"Land of the free". Well... Not all y'all. Just some of you..
Old 16th July 2021, 04:28 AM   #409
SuburbanTurkey

Journalist that witnessed a cop accidentally run over a pedestrian describes how they respond.

Whole thread, but he summarizes here:

Quote:
Anyway, long story short, a cop drives recklessly and hits a pedestrian, breaking her leg, 3 cops fail to render aid, try to intimidate us away from the scene where my partner was rendering aid, and escalated every opportunity they could. I’ll have a clearer report soon.
https://twitter.com/PeterKayReports/...94295339945985

Cop that hit the pedestrian made 200k in 2019.

The "cover your ass" attitude of police is automatic. A fairly minor screw-up has them refusing to render aid, trying to prevent an EMT from rendering aid, attempting to conceal their identities, and trying to intimidate and run off witnesses.
Old 16th July 2021, 04:35 AM   #410
SuburbanTurkey

Cop speak is wild.

Originally Posted by LAPD press release

When officers arrived in the area they saw a male matching the description armed with a handgun. At that time there was an officer involved shooting. The man was struck by gunfire and transported to a local hospital where he has died.

There is a replica handgun at scene. No officers were injured. A female who was nearby was transported to a local hospital for an injury sustained during the incident.

FID Detectives are interviewing witnesses and people who may be the victims of assaults by the suspect.
https://twitter.com/LAPDHQ/status/1415794126906281985

Cops shot and killed a man brandishing a replica firearm in public. Is that so hard to say? Press releases by cops seem to always avoiding laying out plain cause and effect of actions. Officers don't shoot people, they are "involved" in shootings in which people are transported to a hospital after and die.

The complete erasure of agency here makes it unclear how the bystander was injured. Seems likely that the cops injured her during the shooting, but it's hard to say given the impenetrable abuse of the English language.

ETA: It's understandable that the police prefer to use the exonerative tense in their press releases, but it's absolutely maddening that so many media outlets just parrot the language rather than speaking plain truth.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 16th July 2021 at 05:20 AM.
Old 16th July 2021, 05:17 AM   #411
SuburbanTurkey

Cop gets 4 years for beating up a protestor that turned out to be an undercover cop.

Quote:
According to the indictment against the four defendants, several officers deployed "expressed disdain" for the protesters and "excitement about using unjustified force against them."

"It's gonna be a lot of fun beating the hell out of these ********* once the sun goes down and nobody can tell us apart!" Boone said in an exchange transcribed in the court document.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...cid=entnewsntp

Only the black UC got brutalized, imagine that

Quote:
His white partner, also dressed in civilian clothing, went unscathed.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 16th July 2021 at 05:19 AM.
Old 16th July 2021, 05:54 AM   #412
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Two Maine police officers who allegedly beat porcupines to death while on duty have been fired

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/09/us/po...rnd/index.html
Old 16th July 2021, 06:00 AM   #413
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Two Maine police officers who allegedly beat porcupines to death while on duty have been fired

What the hell?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 06:00 AM   #414
SuburbanTurkey

Seems unusually depraved and pointlessly violent, even for cops. Or perhaps I'm just underestimating the police.
Old 16th July 2021, 06:10 AM   #415
SuburbanTurkey

Quote:
Lawsuit: unmarked police cars driven by plainclothes officers blockade and bang up woman’s car, then cops rush her with guns drawn, smash window, pull her from car, threaten to tase her, finally realize she isn’t who they were looking for and…just leave.
https://twitter.com/pebonilla/status...57948551794693

The police have refused to identify the 4 plainclothes cops that ambushed this lady then left her without any explanation.

Quote:
The car followed her to the 1000 block of Church St. when the car suddenly swerved in front of Watson to cut her off, stopped and reversed into her car. At the same time, a second car hit Watson from behind.

A third and fourth car then pulled up on either side of her car, blocking her in.

All four cars were unmarked Delaware State Police vehicles driven by plainclothes officers.

“I thought I was about to be kidnapped,” Watson said Thursday during a press conference outside the gas station.

The four plainclothes officers got out of their cars with guns drawn and pointed at Watson through her rolled-down windows, according to the suit.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

“Stop talking and shut the ---- up,” an officer said, the suit says.

One of the officers broke the driver’s side rear window of Watson’s car, according to the suit, and another officer opened the door of her car and forcefully pulled out Watson.
https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ar/7980717002/

Gangbangers with badges.
Old 17th July 2021, 10:21 AM   #416
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/...iolent-arrest/

Quote:
I Will Choke You. I Will Kill You.’ Baltimore Police Officer, Sergeant Indicted Over Violent Arrest of Teenager; Officials Not Yet Releasing Body-Worn Camera Video

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 10:43 AM   #417
Belz...
Fiend God

Maybe they should stop hiring the school bullies.

Old 17th July 2021, 03:47 PM   #418
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
"A job for two, who are now of job age."

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 08:04 PM   #419
SuburbanTurkey

LAPD using less lethals in a way known to be highly dangerous again. Seems that deliberate abuse of "less lethal" weapons, be that shooting at close range or targeting at the face and head, is a preferred method that US cops use to maim.

Beanbag round from a shotgun at less than 10 yards, something that could absolutely kill or cause serious injury:

Quote:
Woman was shot at point blank range this afternoon with a rubber bullet by police for no apparent reason. She was a counter-protestor at the anti-trans rally at WiSpa in LA.
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...19459616038915
Old 19th July 2021, 05:20 AM   #420
SuburbanTurkey

A stark lack of police violence for protestors shutting down an active freeway. No journalists had their eyes shot out, no close range use of less lethal shotguns, no rampaging riot cops clubbing in every direction, and not a drop of tear gas used.

Quote:
#BREAKING: Large group of demonstrators march onto Palmetto Expressway in show of support for Cuban protesters: http://on.nbc6.com/yNrQH0K
https://twitter.com/nbc6/status/1415004762483961862

For context, this took place in Florida, which passed explicit laws to criminalize this type of protest. I guess it's different when it isn't people calling for cops to stop murdering black people.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 19th July 2021 at 05:23 AM.
Old 19th July 2021, 05:28 AM   #421
SuburbanTurkey

Police inspector facing charges for illegally using police database system to engineer traffic stop for fiancé's ex-boyfriend, who share custody of a 9 year old child.

Quote:
RPD Investigator Faces Criminal Trial After Allegedly Using State Police Database to Harass Male Rival

A Redding Police Department investigator has been charged with six criminal misdemeanors after he allegedly used the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS) to have a male rival’s brand-new Dodge pickup towed and impounded.

The RPD inspector, Joshua Siipola, allegedly accessed the CLETS database five times to look up information on Michael Peters, the ex-boyfriend of Siipola’s fiancé, Summer Gagnon. Peters and Gagnon broke up nine years ago, but share joint custody of their 9-year-old son.

While searching the database, Siipola discovered Peters’s driver’s license was suspended for multiple DUIs and allegedly used that information to engineer a traffic stop at the location where Peters and Gagnon exchange custody of their son. Peters’ pickup truck was towed and impounded as a result.
https://anewscafe.com/2021/07/17/red...ss-male-rival/

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 19th July 2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 19th July 2021, 07:00 AM   #422
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

An interesting discussion on Glen Lourie's substack about a case where a police officer shot an unarmed white teenager named Hunter Brittain.

Quote:
Here’s something I don’t often say: hats off to Al Sharpton and Benjamin Crump.

As fans of TGS are no doubt aware, I’ve taken a dim view of Sharpton and Crump in the past. I think they’ve acted irresponsibly in promoting mistaken ideas about the police and black communities. I think they’ve sometimes fanned the flames of racial hysteria when they could have used their platforms to exert a moderating influence. And let’s not even talk about the Tawana Brawley fiasco.

But it seems that Sharpton and Crump may be changing their tune. Last month, a white teenager, Hunter Brittain, was shot and killed by a police officer in Beebe, Arkansas under murky circumstances. Hunter’s family asked Crump and Sharpton to take their case, and the pair agreed, despite their having been involved almost exclusively in issues involving black families.

https://glennloury.substack.com/p/br...tion-on-police

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2021, 11:35 AM   #423
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A broader look at why cops go rogue:
Quote:
So, most everywhere cops are responding to 911 calls. And because response time remains a key metric used for pay and promotions—woe be the police chief presiding over slow response times—cops are under pressure to stabilize any situation they find and get back “in service” to respond to the next 911 call. They’re doing triage, responding to symptoms rather than solving problems—and they know it. The patrol car will be back later this week to deal with that abusive marriage or that mentally ill person or that drunk or that drug dealer or that noise complaint, and nothing will change. In cop-speak, these are repeat customers.

“One thinks of 911 as a major advance in American law enforcement, but it had several less than beneficial consequences,” write former New York and Los Angeles top cop Bill Bratton and Peter Knobler in their new book, The Profession. “In our haste to get to every call and handle them quickly, cops began to lose the intimacy of their relationship with the neighborhood they were policing.”

And one consequence is that cops now have little interaction with the neighborhood’s solid citizens—the school kids, the local businessmen, the ladies sitting on the stoops. No time for that. Since 911 calls drive everything, the overwhelming majority of folks cops deal with on a day-to-day basis are going to be agitated. They’re angry. Frustrated. Traumatized. Injured. Drunk. High. Some are dying. And some are violent. In crime-ridden inner-city neighborhoods, a disproportionate percentage of these folks, for complex reasons that no doubt include racism, may be people of color.
https://washingtonmonthly.com/2021/0...iserable-life/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2021, 01:59 PM   #424
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
A broader look at why cops go rogue:

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2021/0...iserable-life/
I think it's got a good point going there--but not against the general idea of rapid response. HOW rapid response is designed (and how performance is measured) can make a big difference. Just giving up and leaving people in crisis to fend for themselves wouldn't seem like much of an improvement.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2021, 05:37 PM   #425
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I think it's got a good point going there--but not against the general idea of rapid response. HOW rapid response is designed (and how performance is measured) can make a big difference. Just giving up and leaving people in crisis to fend for themselves wouldn't seem like much of an improvement.

Part of the writer's point is that many 911 calls are not true emergencies, but people don't have anyplace else to call. If other resources were available, the police could focus on the emergencies, and minor property crimes, family disputes etc. might be dealt with other ways.
Quote:
Over the past decade or so, for instance, cities like New York, Philadelphia, Boston, San Jose, and Denver have taken pressure off 911 with a new 311 number for non-emergency municipal services—like for handling a dead animal or an abandoned vehicle. There’s an increasing realization as well that too many problems have been dumped on the cops, so police departments are working more and better with social service and health care agencies to deal with the homeless and the mentally ill.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2021, 06:36 PM   #426
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Good.

Old 20th July 2021, 04:04 AM   #427
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Over the past decade or so, for instance, cities like New York, Philadelphia, Boston, San Jose, and Denver have taken pressure off 911 with a new 311 number for non-emergency municipal services—like for handling a dead animal or an abandoned vehicle.
Philadelphian here. Just to clarify, you are supposed to call 911 for anything that needs the police; emergency or not. You call 911 if someone is trying to break into your house. You call 911 if someone stole a package off your doorstep two hours ago and just want to file a report.

They use 911 as a way of tracking and prioritizing everything. We're constantly told that if you don't call 911, as far as the police are concerned, it pretty much didn't happen.

But yeah, we do have 311 that works as a centralized number to call for other municipal service issues as well as working as what is essentially a phone directory for the city, including the police. You'd call 311 to get in contact with police for things like questions or setting up security for an event - that sort of thing.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 05:17 AM   #428
SuburbanTurkey

Wrongful death civil trial begins 6 years after Troy Goode was killed in police custody via positional asphyxiation. Goode was intoxicated on LSD and was wandering the streets.

Quote:
The prosecution told the jury police used a taser and a police dog on Goode before hogtying him and strapping him face-down on a stretcher.

Prosecutors say Goode, who had asthma, was deprived of oxygen, and the manner in which first responders handled his apprehension is what led to his death, that Goode suffocated and died from lack of oxygen.
No cops were criminally charged for the killing.

https://www.localmemphis.com/article...e-c6ed17c5f967
Old 20th July 2021, 05:20 AM   #429
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Slight hijack, but it does fall into the general topic/theme of the thread//

I actually think that's slightly backwards. As in there's a lot more people in LEO positions who got shoved in the metaphorical locker back in 4th grade than who did the shoving.

There's a lot more "Let me see you give me a purple nurple now Jimmy Glick from Ms. Rosenstein's biology class!" in the attitude of cops than not.
Old 20th July 2021, 05:28 AM   #430
Belz...
Fiend God

I actually think that's slightly backwards. As in there's a lot more people in LEO positions who got shoved in the metaphorical locker back in 4th grade than who did the shoving.

There's a lot more "Let me see you give me a purple nurple now Jimmy Glick from Ms. Rosenstein's biology class!" in the attitude of cops than not.
Are you sure about that? Because the bullies tend to be the ones who are bigger and stronger. The weaker kids rarely pump iron in my experience.

Old 20th July 2021, 05:31 AM   #431
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Are you sure about that? Because the bullies tend to be the ones who are bigger and stronger. The weaker kids rarely pump iron in my experience.
No they get bitterer and bitterer and then get jobs where they get to carry guns and have the authority of the state behind them so they don't feel weak anymore.
Old 20th July 2021, 05:32 AM   #432
Belz...
Fiend God

No they get bitterer and bitterer and then get jobs where they get to carry guns and have the authority of the state behind them so they don't feel weak anymore.
Do we have stats either way for this?

Old 20th July 2021, 05:33 AM   #433
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Do we have stats either way for this?
No, just a gut feeling, but to be fair that's all the "All cops were bullies" argument has as well.
Old 20th July 2021, 05:39 AM   #434
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What is your evidence for this?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 05:40 AM   #435
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What is your evidence for this?
It's right next to the exact same evidence that cops are grown up high school bullies. Go find it.
Old 20th July 2021, 06:26 AM   #436
Belz...
Fiend God

No, just a gut feeling, but to be fair that's all the "All cops were bullies" argument has as well.
Sure. But my opinions are worth more than yours!!

Old 20th July 2021, 06:42 AM   #437
SuburbanTurkey

Seems more probable to me that a couple years in high school of getting stuffed into lockers, or doing the stuffing, probably pales into comparison to the culture of brutality that cops spend decades of their life stewing in.

Plenty of fights happened in my high school, but I don't recall any involving people kneeling on someone's back until they asphyxiated or examples where someone got repeatedly tasered until they died.

I don't think recruits are bringing this baggage with them.
Old 20th July 2021, 07:57 AM   #438
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You don't become a cop unless you want to control others and be violent to them against their will. It's kind of in the job description.
Old 20th July 2021, 11:37 AM   #439
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Part of the writer's point is that many 911 calls are not true emergencies, but people don't have anyplace else to call. If other resources were available, the police could focus on the emergencies, and minor property crimes, family disputes etc. might be dealt with other ways.
Yes, and thats why I'm all for (PARTIAL!) defunding of the police and moving that money to other public departments. Sometimes you need a cop. But some calls will be better handled by a social worker, or animal control, or a crime scene investigator (who need not be a LEO).
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 11:39 AM   #440
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You don't become a cop unless you want to control others and be violent to them against their will. It's kind of in the job description.
Or, from a different perspective, you want to help the community by making it safer. It'd be like saying people doctors only because they want to either make a lot of money or fondle people's genitals.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events