IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 26th June 2022, 12:02 PM   #1361
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Hey, he was off-duty.

That doesn't count as police officer behavior.
Old 26th June 2022, 03:07 PM   #1362
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Hey, he was off-duty.

That doesn't count as police officer behavior.
I hope you're joking given that police officers in most (all?) states retain virtually all their police powers and privileges when off duty
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 08:18 AM   #1363
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Oakland police chase suspect, flee scene after deadly crash, sources say

Quote:
OAKLAND, Calif. - Two rookie Oakland police officers chased the driver of a Nissan 350Z they said was involved in a sideshow event, prompting a deadly crash before fleeing the scene without helping anyone who was injured, two sources with knowledge of the department told KTVU.

The two officers did not have authorization or approval to instigate the pursuit that ended with the Nissan driver crashing into a row of vehicles, leading to the death of a bystander at a taco truck, according to one source. Such rogue chases are known as "ghost stops," the source said.

The officers did not initially come forward with what happened Sunday at 2 a.m. at 54th Avenue and International Boulevard, in a collision that killed 28-year-old Lolomanaia "Lolo" Soakai of Hayward, who was described as an innocent bystander and had no connection to the sideshow, the sources said.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, Police Chief LeRonne Armstrong did not mention that the officers had witnessed the crash and left. He said, however, that he had placed the officers on administrative leave and opened an Internal Affairs investigation, which is typical protocol.

On Wednesday, in response to questions from KTVU, Armstrong said he has "relieved the officers of police powers, as these very serious allegations are being investigated."
Remember, the police are under no obligation to protect the public or to render assistance, so it's just standard operating procedure!
Old 4th July 2022, 02:33 PM   #1364
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

One of these individuals must be technically in the right, but I don't know which one and I'm not sure it matters that much.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 02:53 PM   #1365
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

If they both resist arrest, do they just go sit in each other's cars?
Old 5th July 2022, 12:01 AM   #1366
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I notice the Highland Park shooting suspect was detained in a calm and orderly fashion, no stomach to the ground, no posse of fat guys sitting on his back, no score upon score of police vehicles, no circle of officers ready to fire and empty their clips. Just a normal arrest! I wonder, could this be a White supremacist, detained by White supremacists, all chatting gaily and talking shop?
Old 5th July 2022, 12:59 AM   #1367
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
One of these individuals must be technically in the right, but I don't know which one and I'm not sure it matters that much.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I think their mothers need to have a chat and tell them to play nicely with one another.
Old 7th July 2022, 05:23 PM   #1368
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Don't think this case has been mentioned yet: the death of Peyton Ham in Maryland.

https://defector.com/witnesses-to-ki...all-it-murder/

Last spring, Michelle Mills saw Maryland State Police Trooper Joseph Azzari shoot and kill 16-year-old Peyton Ham.

And Mills doesn’t describe the loss of life that took place right in front of her in broad daylight as accidental or the result of merely bad police work.

“Peyton was murdered in my driveway,” she says.

Mills, 51, says Ham was kneeling in the gravel and already wounded and bleeding badly when she saw Azzari fire four shots at him. At least three of the final four shots hit Ham in the neck and chest, killing him.

Allison Mills, Michelle’s daughter, also saw Azzari kill Ham.

“Peyton was on his knees and obviously wasn’t a threat,” Allison Mills, 23, says of Ham’s final moments. “What I saw, from start to finish, was just appalling.”

Photo taken a few seconds before the final shots

Last edited by jimbob; 7th July 2022 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Resizing wide image
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2022, 11:24 PM   #1369
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Don't think this case has been mentioned yet: the death of Peyton Ham in Maryland.

Last spring, Michelle Mills saw Maryland State Police Trooper Joseph Azzari shoot and kill 16-year-old Peyton Ham.

And Mills doesn’t describe the loss of life that took place right in front of her in broad daylight as accidental or the result of merely bad police work.

“Peyton was murdered in my driveway,” she says.

Mills, 51, says Ham was kneeling in the gravel and already wounded and bleeding badly when she saw Azzari fire four shots at him. At least three of the final four shots hit Ham in the neck and chest, killing him.

Allison Mills, Michelle’s daughter, also saw Azzari kill Ham.

“Peyton was on his knees and obviously wasn’t a threat,” Allison Mills, 23, says of Ham’s final moments. “What I saw, from start to finish, was just appalling.”

Photo taken a few seconds before the final shots
In counterpoint, I just posted this over on the Uvalde thread but it's completely relevant here too.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I AGREE

A Uvalde police officer had the gunman in his sights before he entered the school and, and this is the ironic thing, waiting for permission to shoot

According to a new report

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 09:31 AM   #1370
erlando
Master Poster

And of course the pig is free after lying about what happened.
Old 11th July 2022, 07:15 AM   #1371
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Looks like some states are getting to grips with the problems highlighted by people videoing police in action: https://www.npr.org/2022/07/10/11106...ding-of-police

"...First Amendment advocates are considering their options in response to an Arizona law signed last week making it a crime to record video police officers from closer than 8 feet away...."
Old 11th July 2022, 08:37 AM   #1372
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Looks like some states are getting to grips with the problems highlighted by people videoing police in action: https://www.npr.org/2022/07/10/11106...ding-of-police

"...First Amendment advocates are considering their options in response to an Arizona law signed last week making it a crime to record video police officers from closer than 8 feet away...."
Gotta love the unbridled optimism of someone who says they think the law would be found unconstitutional if challenged. The current federal court system would uphold the law if it was 50 feet.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2022, 12:01 PM   #1373
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To poke at a few more cases -

Cops investigated for killing had plenty of time to kill again in one California city—and they did

The headline itself refers more specifically to an analysis of Vallejo, CA, to be clear. Of course, a number of those killings were truly absurd. Guy apparently fell asleep in a drive thru? Shot 55 times. Multiple executions of unarmed, already immobile and surrendered people.
Old 11th July 2022, 01:07 PM   #1374
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
To poke at a few more cases -

Cops investigated for killing had plenty of time to kill again in one California city—and they did

The headline itself refers more specifically to an analysis of Vallejo, CA, to be clear. Of course, a number of those killings were truly absurd. Guy apparently fell asleep in a drive thru? Shot 55 times. Multiple executions of unarmed, already immobile and surrendered people.
Just wait I am sure the cop defenders will be here to explain them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 04:28 PM   #1375
shemp

Fort Worth police detective arrested for burglary, department says

Quote:
FORT WORTH, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) - A Fort Worth police detective has been arrested for burglary, the department announced Thursday.

Officials said on July 8, police responded to a burglary call after citizens reported an individual had forced his way into a residence with a gun.

During their investigation, officers learned that detective Bryan Lafaurie -- who was off-duty at that time -- had entered the residence to confront teenagers he suspected of stealing his personal property.

Lafaurie was then placed on restricted duty and "stripped of all police powers during the course of the ongoing criminal and administrative investigations," the department stated in a press release.
If only there had been some legal process available to him, like, say, the ability to report these kids and have this alleged theft investigated.
Old 16th July 2022, 06:37 PM   #1376
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Fort Worth police detective arrested for burglary, department says

If only there had been some legal process available to him, like, say, the ability to report these kids and have this alleged theft investigated.
He's a lying piece of ****. "I was just trying to get my stuff back" is probably at the top of the burglar excuse list. A long time ago I had to testify against a burglar who tried that bit when he broke into my house.
Old 16th July 2022, 07:11 PM   #1377
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

An investigator for the Rochester Police violently arrested an EMT...

...While she was seeing to a man she brought to the hospital...

...for refusing to give the investigator ID when he demanded it...

...for hitting his car with the door of the ambulance so she could get the patient out...

...his car being parked in the hospital ambulance bay illegally...
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 07:57 PM   #1378
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
An investigator for the Rochester Police violently arrested an EMT...

...While she was seeing to a man she brought to the hospital...

...for refusing to give the investigator ID when he demanded it...

...for hitting his car with the door of the ambulance so she could get the patient out...

...his car being parked in the hospital ambulance bay illegally...
What a ******* thug. Standing there doing her job and taken away like she was a threat to anyone. These bullies can't stand when people don't automatically kowtow to them as though they're special.
Old 16th July 2022, 08:32 PM   #1379
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
What a ******* thug. Standing there doing her job and taken away like she was a threat to anyone. These bullies can't stand when people don't automatically kowtow to them as though they're special.
Cops gonna cop
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2022, 05:25 PM   #1380
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

There is a recent trend of police sharing, on social media, phone videos of incidents in which fellow officers handle a small amount of fentanyl during an arrest or investigation and then moments later appear to suffer a seizure of a type known to be suffered by fentanyl users who have overdosed.

It has been pointed out by many sources however that actual possibility of overdosing on fentanyl because of incidental contact like this is highly negligible - to be generous. As the above-linked article points out, this leaves police faking these incidents or a psychogenic origin as the most likely cause of these incidents.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2022, 05:36 PM   #1381
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
There is a recent trend of police sharing, on social media, phone videos of incidents in which fellow officers handle a small amount of fentanyl during an arrest or investigation and then moments later appear to suffer a seizure of a type known to be suffered by fentanyl users who have overdosed.

It has been pointed out by many sources however that actual possibility of overdosing on fentanyl because of incidental contact like this is highly negligible - to be generous. As the above-linked article points out, this leaves police faking these incidents or a psychogenic origin as the most likely cause of these incidents.
There's even an episode of "Blue Bloods" that included this nonsense. At the end of the day the videos are probably half fakes (cameras on, let's put on a show) and half gullible morons (cops are generally stupid) having panic attacks because their training is garbage.
Old 18th July 2022, 02:16 AM   #1382
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Quoting from the mass shooting thread, where it also belongs

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Shooting in Denver last night. One dead and five injured.

The kicker?

It was the Denver Police Department. They shot and killed the suspect - but also wounded five bystanders.

DPD officers shoot man in LoDo; 5 others in crowd injured

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2022, 04:06 AM   #1383
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Quoting from the mass shooting thread, where it also belongs
I'm sure those bystanders could have been about to pull a gun on the police so they had no choice.
Old 18th July 2022, 07:55 AM   #1384
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
... having panic attacks because their training is garbage.
This is the rock upon which the entire church of police misconduct is built.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2022, 08:06 AM   #1385
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Here's the kicker and for me where the honest discourse sort of ends.

Which of the two scenarios does police behavior in the United States make more sense?

1. Overall cop culture is based on actually protecting the citizenry
2. Overall cop culture is based on wanting to be in a position of authority and power over the citizenry?

Very little what cops, even "good" cops, do really makes sense under #1 but it makes a LOT of sense under #2.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2022, 08:31 AM   #1386
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's the kicker and for me where the honest discourse sort of ends.

Which of the two scenarios does police behavior in the United States make more sense?

1. Overall cop culture is based on actually protecting the citizenry
2. Overall cop culture is based on wanting to be in a position of authority and power over the citizenry?

Very little what cops, even "good" cops, do really makes sense under #1 but it makes a LOT of sense under #2.
It's almost always ultimately #2. The only catch is that a lot of cops think #2 is a necessary condition for #1. Which is a combination of hubris and a natural reaction to the sad fact that when you are in a position of authority you are going to far more often encounter hostility than graciousness. That can work on people who lack the skills to cope. They develop a sense of persecution, a contempt for those they are supposed to serve, etc.

Completely natural thing, really. It's like gravity, except we have a political atmosphere that sees safety rails and parachutes as liberal plots to give away America to the sorry people.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2022, 10:04 AM   #1387
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Well yeah at the best, most honest way to define the "problem" is that we are the end of a 40-50 year cycle of the police transforming for law enforcement officers who's job it is to protect a citizenry they are a part of to the idea of cops as pulp novel soldiers on mission behind enemy lines every moment kill or be killed despite as has been point out numerous times "Cop" isn't that statistically dangerous.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2022, 10:57 AM   #1388
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Well yeah at the best, most honest way to define the "problem" is that we are the end of a 40-50 year cycle of the police transforming for law enforcement officers who's job it is to protect a citizenry they are a part of to the idea of cops as pulp novel soldiers on mission behind enemy lines every moment kill or be killed despite as has been point out numerous times "Cop" isn't that statistically dangerous.
There's a reason cops don't patrol the areas they live in themselves.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2022, 02:41 PM   #1389
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
There's a reason cops don't patrol the areas they live in themselves.
They do here.

Which makes a massive difference. I've been in both and the difference it makes is astounding. We just don't have the scale to "other" people, and the cops are not all that well paid so they really are for the most part policing their peers and their own neighborhoods.

I mean, we have our problems. Most of them are a pretty direct result from the police academy being an absolute dumpster fire.

Community policing is a necessary condition for reasonable law enforcement.
Old 19th July 2022, 02:14 AM   #1390
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Man shot and killed by police while running away.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/n...ardino-police/

Here's the video:

I AGREE
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2022, 02:54 AM   #1391
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

"And the police are now working with a public information company to release information..." presumably the tax payers are paying for the PR company?
Old 19th July 2022, 08:09 AM   #1392
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
"And the police are now working with a public information company to release information..." presumably the tax payers are paying for the PR company?
Of course.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the police having spokespersons skilled in PR, but that stuff needs to be in house as hiring out creates a layer of plausible deniability when the PR firm starts presenting false or at least massively misleading information.
Old 20th July 2022, 07:37 AM   #1393
shemp

Not quite police but...

Black man awaiting kidney transplant beaten by hospital security

Quote:
The daughter of a late Black kidney patient wants justice against the security guards who attacked and wrongly detained him, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The shocking incident begins with Hughie Robinson heading back to the Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis after staff told him he left his wallet there. Just a few days before, the patient, who has stage four renal failure, got the good news: he was second in line for a possible kidney transplant.

After retrieving his wallet, Robinson came back to the Kingshighway garage and couldn’t find his Buick. He asked the front desk and even a security guard for help as he continued looking for his vehicle. This reportedly caught the attention of other security guards, who started suspecting he was looking for cars to steal, reporters learned.

That’s when the guards start approaching Robinson and forcefully grabbed his arm, which was tender from a procedure, according to a lawsuit filed last year against Barnes-Jewish. The then 52-year-old man allegedly asked them, ‘What did I do?’ before one of the guards tackled him, the filing claims. Then security allegedly started beating him up — including the guard tasked with helping Robinson search for his Buick.

“Hughie cried out that the guards were hurting him. At least one of the guards responded, ‘Good.’ The guards then forced Hughie into a pair of handcuffs. All of this was on video,” the lawsuit alleges.

The document says Robinson was taken to an interrogation room, where hospital security asked him what he was doing in the garage. The lawsuit also claims an officer used “his forearm to smash Hughie’s head into the wall” while another threatened the kidney patient.

“If one of my officers, or WashU officers see you back on this property again, we’re going to do this whole thing again, cause you ain’t supposed to be here. You cool with that? … Don’t come back.”

Robinson just finished a four-day stay at the hospital when the vicious assault happened, according to reporters, adding that he was drugged and “in a weakened state” when security allegedly beat him up.
Jesus H. ******* Christ on a pogo stick! Who in their right ******* mind would think this is an acceptable thing to do? Oh, that's right, I forgot, half the people in this ******** country of the U.S. of A. are out of their ******* minds!
Old 20th July 2022, 07:41 AM   #1394
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Who in their right ******* mind would think this is an acceptable thing to do?
Contrarian trolls, that's your cue.
Old 20th July 2022, 08:40 AM   #1395
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Of course.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the police having spokespersons skilled in PR, but that stuff needs to be in house as hiring out creates a layer of plausible deniability when the PR firm starts presenting false or at least massively misleading information.
The 'in house' PR departments of US police have their own problems. Spending millions on copaganda. (The writing of the article isn't the best but at least it has sources, but it's still funny anyone wrote the line 'what I like to call copaganda' as if they came up with the pun.)
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2022, 12:06 PM   #1396
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Contrarian trolls, that's your cue.
Let's wait and see what they say when they turn up. I'm betting that's not gonna happen and you're just, what is it they call it?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2022, 12:37 AM   #1397
Matthew Best
Philosopher

In a recording obtained by MCIR, a Mississippi law enforcement officer can be heard bragging about killing 13 people in the line of duty, saying, “I shot that n----- 119 times, OK?”

https://www.mississippicir.org/news/...cist-recording
Old 21st July 2022, 06:45 AM   #1398
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

In a recording obtained by MCIR, a Mississippi law enforcement officer can be heard bragging about killing 13 people in the line of duty, saying, “I shot that n----- 119 times, OK?”

Mississippi police chief linked to racist recording
As the headline points out, this wasn't just any law enforcement officer; he was the Chief of Police. I say "was," because he was fired yesterday and an interim chief has been appointed.

They guy is white, and was the chief of police for a community that's 85% black.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2022, 07:30 AM   #1399
Planigale
Philosopher

https://www.mississippicir.org/news/...cist-recording
But if he had been at Uvalde he would have been a hero!

Quote:
He described a shootout in a cornfield. “Justified, bro’,” he said. “I shot that n----- 119 times, OK? I saved 67 kids in a school.”

“I chased this motherf---er across the field. I got him. He was DRT [dead right there] in the field. The vehicle was shot 319 times, but he was hit 119 times by me.”
Not the sort of cop to have a school shooter in his sights but do nothing pending permission to open fire!

My guess is all the number are exaggerated.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2022, 10:59 PM   #1400
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

There's not enough information available in this article to truly form an opinion about actual cause here, but it is quite suspicious.

A North Carolina city hired a Black town manager. Then its entire police force resigned.

I'm not going to just assume racism or hating accountability triggered this mass resignation, but I do think that such is reasonably likely. That's likely also combined with more legitimate underlying grievances, of course, with all that that entails.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events