IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 20th August 2022, 05:50 AM   #1441
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfAHfWr6vvA

(The video is age-restricted and can't be embedded here)

Police manage to shoot a man who had already thrown his gun away and put his hands in the air, and also shoot six innocent bystanders.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...jured-88514862
What do people expect? If they associate with harden criminals then this is what will happen...
Old 20th August 2022, 06:36 AM   #1442
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What do people expect? If they associate with harden criminals then this is what will happen...
I think you mean "hardened".
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 04:32 PM   #1443
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

From Arkansaw, something that might have gotten more attention had all the participants not been the same skin color...

Quote:
Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced Monday the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the Civil Rights division of the U.S. Department of Justice have launched a separate investigation into the arrest of a man by Crawford County sheriff’s deputies and a Mulberry police officer Sunday.

The federal investigation is in addition to the Arkansas State Police probe undertaken by its Special Investigation Unit, the governor said at an afternoon press conference.

“First of all, that is reprehensible conduct in which a suspect is beat in that fashion,” Hutchinson said of a video, widely circulated on social media, showing the arrest of Randal Ray Worcester.

“We don’t have all of the details, and certainly that suspect had a history of concern that was legitimate for the officers, but what that response was, was not consistent with the training that they receive as certified officers with the Arkansas Law Enforcement Training Academy,” Hutchinson said.

Hutchinson has called the sheriff of Crawford County, who promised full cooperation in the ensuing investigations, the governor said.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...n-video/?crime

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 08:09 PM   #1444
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
From Arkansaw, something that might have gotten more attention had all the participants not been the same skin color.
What's especially chilling about the video is that all three cops are brutalizing the guy. Not one is trying to stop the others, or even just hanging back.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:49 AM   #1445
erlando
Master Poster

From Arkansaw, something that might have gotten more attention had all the participants not been the same skin color...

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...n-video/?crime
The hair-grab and smashing of the victim's head on the curb is evil.
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:54 AM   #1446
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
You spelled “Republican” wrong
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:59 AM   #1447
Armitage72
Philosopher

It's on CNN's website. Not on the front page right now though.

Video

Story

Quote:
Three Arkansas law enforcement officers have been removed from duty and are facing state and federal investigations, officials confirmed Monday, after bystander video captured at least two of them punching and kneeing a suspect during an arrest.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:59 AM   #1448
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
You spelled “Republican” wrong
"dOn't MaKE it POlitical!!!"
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 06:14 AM   #1449
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
(Managed to watch this one since I knew the victim wasn't killed.)

Doesn't seem like this was a first time by the police - they look as if they are well practised at such beatings. I would be interested to know how they are trained.
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:00 AM   #1450
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't seem like this was a first time by the police - they look as if they are well practised at such beatings. I would be interested to know how they are trained.
I suspect bullies of this sort need no training. Practice makes perfect. I'd be more concerned about whom they've trained.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:53 AM   #1451
ZiprHead
Muse

Notice in the video that when the cops see they are being recorded they back off and get mad at the recorder.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:51 AM   #1452
crescent
Philosopher

I wonder if their training includes the concept that when a person get punched in the face, the natural instinct for many is to cover up. When kicked in the gut, the natural instinct is to curl up.

Which means that when you are kicking a guy in the gut and repeatedly punching him in the face - there is a very good chance that he cannot comply with your orders. He just can't. He's not thinking, he's reacting and panicking and more kicking and punching and yelling only strengthens that reaction.

Maybe some people don't react that way - but many many do. I look at that video and I don't see a guy refusing to lay flat and put his arms behind his back. I see instead a guy who cannot do that because his instinct is to protect himself. A normal human instinct which cannot be overcome by just applying more violence.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:09 PM   #1453
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I suspect bullies of this sort need no training. Practice makes perfect. I'd be more concerned about whom they've trained.
That's what I always think. People don't just randomly join the police force and get this way. The system is acclimated to antisocial, violent ******** being given positions of power because they seek it out.
Old 24th August 2022, 07:31 AM   #1454
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Maybe not bad behavior, but it certainly qualifies as police stupidity.

Emails notifying Fairfax County Public Schools about sex charges against school counselor never delivered

Quote:
LINCOLNIA, Va. — Former Glasgow Middle School counselor Darren Thornton was arrested on child sex charges in November 2020. By law, the Chesterfield Police Department had to notify the Fairfax County Public School System of the arrest. But it appears the emails sent by the police department bounced back. The messages, obtained by WUSA9 through a Freedom of Information Act or FOIA, were never delivered.

"Today, upon further investigation, we learned that the emails did come back to that employee's spam folder as undeliverable," said a police department spokesperson in a statement. "It is unknown who our staff member spoke to in the school office in November 2020. Going forward, we will record that information as part of our process for making notifications.”

Thornton’s arrest came months after he was hired by the school system and even though he was convicted and sentenced to 5 years of supervised probation he remained on the job. Thornton was placed on admin leave after a second arrest in 2022 for allegedly soliciting sex online from adults. The Virginia Department of Correction has now launched an investigation into how he remained employed at the middle school despite his probation.
Who the hell thinks that sending an email is sufficient notification? Emails get lost or ignored all the time! An officer should have been sent to the school district office to notify in person, or at least made a phone call or sent a registered letter. WTF???
Old 25th August 2022, 07:27 AM   #1455
Disbelief
Illuminator

Nothing to see here. Perfectly acceptable to arrest a man for watering flowers.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/poli...140301444.html

Quote:
A Childersburg, Ala. pastor was arrested while watering his neighbor’s flowers, according to WBRC. Per the video footage, several witnesses confirmed he was supposed to be there but the officers refused to remove his handcuffs.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 10:55 AM   #1456
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post

This line from the story is unfortunate,

"Let’s just call a spade a spade. Jennings was racially profiled."
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 11:08 AM   #1457
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
That's what I always think. People don't just randomly join the police force and get this way. The system is acclimated to antisocial, violent ******** being given positions of power because they seek it out.
A lad I employed wanted to become a PC, he certainly was not a bully in any sense or aggressive. It is a profession that proves the adage “ one bad apple spoils the barrel”.
Old 25th August 2022, 11:51 AM   #1458
Disbelief
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
This line from the story is unfortunate,

"Let’s just call a spade a spade. Jennings was racially profiled."
I caught that too, but it may have been purposeful since the author is a WoC.

Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 12:50 PM   #1459
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfAHfWr6vvA

(The video is age-restricted and can't be embedded here)

Police manage to shoot a man who had already thrown his gun away and put his hands in the air, and also shoot six innocent bystanders.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...jured-88514862
How DARE he disrespect the police by attempting to deprive them of an excuse for killing him!
Old 25th August 2022, 03:16 PM   #1460
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

A lad I employed wanted to become a PC, he certainly was not a bully in any sense or aggressive. It is a profession that proves the adage “ one bad apple spoils the barrel”.
Did he go on to join the force and if so have you met him since? I only ask because I've got a story about PC Gordon Mitchell that demonstrates how those who cower without any authority behind them can become quite the ticket once they don the uniform.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 03:35 PM   #1461
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Did he go on to join the force and if so have you met him since? I only ask because I've got a story about PC Gordon Mitchell that demonstrates how those who cower without any authority behind them can become quite the ticket once they don the uniform.
It seems you don't understand the adage employed. It means all the apples are spoiled by the rotten ones. So many people think it means the bad apples are the exceptions.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 03:38 PM   #1462
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post

I suppose he should count himself lucky they did not mistake that hose nozzle for a gun and shoot him 20 or 30 times.

I mean, really, what in ******* hell did they think a man holding a garden hose watering the flowers was doing? What kind of abject drooling idiot would even have to ask what he was doing? I mean, really, there is no good explanation for this. If they are either too bigoted to live in society or too stupid to function in it, what possible reason is there to keep them employed in public service?

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 04:33 PM   #1463
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Let's say he wasn't actually asked and was just there watering flowers. And? Why cuff him?

Are they really out there protecting flowers from being overrated? Ask him to finish up and move on if you have to. But you don't have to
Old 25th August 2022, 04:59 PM   #1464
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

I didn't say anyone who wants to be a police officer is necessarily a violent bully, anywhere in my post. My point was, people of that nature seem to gravitate towards these positions of authority, and the system in place seems to not only allow but at times promote it. Look at the reports of police officers written up for not being aggressive enough. It boggles the mind.

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 25th August 2022 at 05:07 PM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 05:04 PM   #1465
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Let's say he wasn't actually asked and was just there watering flowers. And? Why cuff him?

Are they really out there protecting flowers from being overrated? Ask him to finish up and move on if you have to. But you don't have to
The black guy didn't respect their authority, and they made an example of him.

It's really the neighborhood's fault for letting them in. It would never have happened in the good old days, they wouldn't have had black neighbors watering their flowers, the devious devils.

ETA: Really, aren't flowers overrated?

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 25th August 2022 at 05:05 PM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 06:20 PM   #1466
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

He did join the police but I'm not in touch with him these days. I would expect he will have been spoiled by the bad apple.
Old 25th August 2022, 06:22 PM   #1467
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I didn't say anyone who wants to be a police officer is necessarily a violent bully, anywhere in my post. My point was, people of that nature seem to gravitate towards these positions of authority, and the system in place seems to not only allow but at times promote it. Look at the reports of police officers written up for not being aggressive enough. It boggles the mind.
Or are these institutions rotten and spoil the good oeople?
Old 25th August 2022, 06:52 PM   #1468
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

According to the account they did ask, and he told them that he was watering the flowers (duh, holding a hose while watering flowers not, apparently, being visible to the cops standing there), told them who he was, and told them he was supposed to be there. What he refused to do was to surrender ID after having given absolutely sufficient, abundant, redundant information about what he was doing. Others came and told the police the same thing. Everyone but the anonymous tipster who called the cops confirmed his story. They then confiscated his phone (but of course that doesn't constitute any kind of ID, and taking it doesn't count as offensive) and hauled him off to the police station and arrested him on a flagrantly bogus charge of obstructing a government operation - that operation presumably being the bogus arrest of a person unequivocally and obviously and visibly minding his own business.

And sorry, no matter what, they have absolutely no business telling him to move on, either. He was where he belonged, doing exactly what he was supposed to where he was supposed to, confirmed by his neighbors, and where is he supposed to move on to anyway, given that he lives right across the street! No, even that should be seen as an unnecessary offense.

If the cops got a call, they have to come investigate. Any reasonable cop given the call they got should have arrived, and maybe gone so far as to ask something like "are you supposed to be doing this?" and having been given the visibly obvious answer, maybe have said something like "we got a complaint about a stranger, sorry to have troubled you."

Old 25th August 2022, 06:57 PM   #1469
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Or are these institutions rotten and spoil the good oeople?
What do you think I meant by promoting it? The good ones probably get beaten down and give up.
Old 26th August 2022, 06:24 AM   #1470
shemp

Cellphone video shows MDPD officers blocking pregnant woman from entering emergency room in Doral

Quote:
DORAL, FLA. (WSVN) - A husband who was driving his pregnant wife to the hospital said two Miami-Dade Police officers refused to get out of the way.

Cellphone video caught the confrontation between the officers and the couple.

On Monday, the department said it is aware of the video.

On July 28, Kevin Enciso was taking his pregnant wife, Sabrina Enciso, to the emergency room of Jackson Memorial Hospital’s West Campus.

“I’m having a lot of pain,” said Sabrina on video.

She said she had been in a accident a day prior and her doctor instructed her to go to the hospital.

The couple were detoured when they tried to park, before the confrontation.

In the video, two deputies are seen blocking the entrance of the ER, they were said to have been talking to each other from their vehicles.

After being honked at, one of the officers moved on, although the other officer turned the encounter into a traffic stop.

“Cause I think I’m going to miscarry,” said Sabrina on video.

Kevin, who was the driver, was ordered out of his car. He had refused to show his license and demanded the officer’s supervisor.

“I am coming to the ER today because that’s what my doctor stated I needed to do, to make sure I don’t lose this child,” said Sabrina on video.

Enesco’s wife continued to film the entire confrontation.

The family is familiar with JMH, since Sabrina also works for the hospital.

“What is your title with Jackson Hospital?” said the officer.

“I am a financial analyst, I work in the business office,” said Sabrina.

The police officer, who identifies himself as Officer Daniels, provided his own diagnosis.

“She’s alert and she’s breathing,” said Daniels.

Only steps away from the ER doors, Daniels called fire rescue.

“Sit on the curb over there,” said Daniels.

The family said their civil rights were violated and have since filed a complaint.

The Enciso family eventually got the medical attention they needed and were at the hospital for several hours.

At this time, the case is currently under investigation by Internal Affairs.
I'm sure the cops will investigate themselves and find themselves innocent.
Old 26th August 2022, 07:13 AM   #1471
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What do you think I meant by promoting it? The good ones probably get beaten down and give up.
I was more responding to this part of your post "..I didn't say anyone who wants to be a police officer is necessarily a violent bully, anywhere in my post. My point was, people of that nature seem to gravitate towards these positions of authority.."

Can we support that with evidence? I think (ETA: well to be honest it's more a "gut feeling" so not thinking!) that there is a spectrum of people who want to join the police force as officers and they are then spoiled by the institution to become bullies/ authoritarians/criminals.
Old 26th August 2022, 07:17 AM   #1472
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Unless we can come up with some sort of logical narrative where people becomes cops and just all magically transform into authoritarian bullies after the fact I'm not sure what the alternative is.

Now sure as well things there is a degree of self-creating/self-feeding cycle here; i.e person type A tend to become cops therefore the culture of "cop" benefits person type A the most, wash, rinse, repeat, but I don't think "Career as a cop attracts a certain type of person" is really an extraordinary claim.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2022, 10:25 AM   #1473
Armitage72
Philosopher

There was a guy I knew in high school, a year ahead of me, who was planning to become a police officer after he graduated. A drug dealing arrest he had after graduation prevented that, and he's currently in prison for murdering his pregnant wife, stuffing her body in a duffel bag, and tossing it in the river five years after he graduated.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2022, 10:29 AM   #1474
shemp

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There was a guy I knew in high school, a year ahead of me, who was planning to become a police officer after he graduated. A drug dealing arrest he had after graduation prevented that, and he's currently in prison for murdering his pregnant wife, stuffing her body in a duffel bag, and tossing it in the river five years after he graduated.
So, what's keeping him from being a cop?
Old 26th August 2022, 10:57 AM   #1475
Disbelief
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
He needed to wait until after he was hired to become a criminal.

Old 26th August 2022, 11:22 AM   #1476
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Because he did it in the wrong order. You become a drug-dealing wife murderer AFTER you become a police officer, not before. Or I could believe that APD officers didn't help cover up for a a fellow officer, and that his story that his wife killed herself with his service pistol on the day he "forgot" to bring it to work with him isn't the biggest load of BS I have ever heard.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 07:13 AM   #1477
bobdroege7
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post

So many people think it means the bad apples are the exceptions.
I blame the Jackson 5!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 10:44 PM   #1478
erlando
Master Poster

Inmate Who Was Pregnant Settles Suit Over Stop at Starbucks en Route to a Hospital

Quote:
Sandra Quinones, six months pregnant, was at a jail in Orange County, Calif., when her water broke in March 2016, according to court records.

She pushed the call button in her cell for two hours without a response, and when county employees finally did take her to a hospital, they stopped at a Starbucks along the way, her lawyer said in a federal lawsuit. She lost the pregnancy, according to court records.
Quote:
A lawyer for Ms. Quinones, Richard P. Herman, wrote in the lawsuit, which was filed in April 2020 and later amended, that the unnamed county employees had decided not to call an ambulance.

Instead, he said, they took Ms. Quinones, then 28, to the hospital on a “nonemergency basis.” While the employees stopped at a Starbucks, Ms. Quinones was in the back of a van, bleeding and in labor, the lawsuit said. The suit did not say how long the stop at the Starbucks lasted.
Old 31st August 2022, 12:16 PM   #1479
shemp

If this happened in any of several states today, they'd charge HER with murder.
Old 1st September 2022, 03:01 AM   #1480
Disbelief
Illuminator

Fear when waking a man in the middle of the night, so one immediately opens fire.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-poli...003757956.html

Quote:
Police body-cam footage shows an officer opening a bedroom door in an apartment and immediately shooting Lewis, who was in bed. Lewis appeared to be holding the vape pen before he was shot, said Columbus Police Chief Elaine Bryant. No weapon was found.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events