IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Dr. Oz , John Fetterman , Mehmet Oz , Pat Toomey , Pennsylvania politics , senate races

Old 25th March 2022, 06:43 PM   #81
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oz is whining that he got 'fired' by Biden. Oz was asked to resign, or be terminated, from the President's Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition. Oz then claimed "It's beyond sad that Joe Biden would politicize such an important issue as health. The doctor he should ask to resign is Dr. Fauci, for a multitude of obvious reasons. If President Biden wants to politicize health, he will have to fire me. You would think record gas prices, a 40-year inflation high, and the situation in Ukraine would be his highest priorities at the moment."
"“Clearly, Joe Biden can’t be around anyone who doesn’t completely fall in line with his fear-mongering authoritarian one-size-fits-all COVID handling. I am proud of my service and will not resign,”

Trouble is, it is the Biden Administration's policy that does not allow candidates running for federal office to serve on presidential boards.
That Oz sees himself as a victim does not surprise me. If anyone is 'politicizing' this, it's Oz. Suck it up, buttercup, and put on your big boy pants.
Hatch Act. Government employees, of which Oz’s position on that council is one, cannot run for office as it is perceived as taking advantage. They must resign first.

So Biden is doing Oz a favour, given Oz is running for office. Removing a potential legal stumbling block for him. Oz knows this, of course, but no GOP candidate can let a good deed go unpunished.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2022, 06:53 PM   #82
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Hatch Act. Government employees, of which Oz’s position on that council is one, cannot run for office as it is perceived as taking advantage. They must resign first.

So Biden is doing Oz a favour, given Oz is running for office. Removing a potential legal stumbling block for him. Oz knows this, of course, but no GOP candidate can let a good deed go unpunished.
Assumes a fact not in evidence. Based on what he says, it is obvious he is mostly clueless.
Old 25th March 2022, 11:37 PM   #83
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

Actually, no. The Hatch Act exempts Special Government Employees such as members of Presidential Commissions.

Quote:
However, special government employees (SGEs), such as those who are part of a commission, may run for partisan political office, according to a 2019 advisory opinion issued by OSC Hatch Act Unit Chief Ana Galindo Marron. But they cannot participate in campaign-related activity while performing official government work.
https://www.fox61.com/article/news/v...c-fef1022c1c32

But it is within the president's power to prohibit it, which the Biden Administration has done. Hershel Walker, also appointed by Trump to the same Presidential Commission, received the same letter.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2022, 02:01 AM   #84
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Assumes a fact not in evidence. Based on what he says, it is obvious he is mostly clueless.
Facts you say? This is a post fact GOP so it isn't relative.

It suggests Oz knows more about winning over the GOP base than maybe we give him credit for.

And let's not forget, he doesn't have to win to get a ton of publicity for his supplement business. His TV appearances may have been waning recently.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2022, 07:02 PM   #85
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, no. The Hatch Act exempts Special Government Employees such as members of Presidential Commissions.

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/v...c-fef1022c1c32

But it is within the president's power to prohibit it, which the Biden Administration has done. Hershel Walker, also appointed by Trump to the same Presidential Commission, received the same letter.
Also, any Federal Employee can run for non partisan postions, such as school board member, etc.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 06:22 PM   #86
stanfr
Master Poster

So is the Oz victory a good thing or bad thing? Obviously it would be horrific if he won in the general election, but might it be good to mobilize the opposition vote, given that pretty much any sane person knows that Oz is evil?
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 06:48 PM   #87
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Oz was born in the US. But being Muslim will be a difficult obstacle to overcome with rural Republicans.
If they think it will own the Libs and get some more judges in they will back Satan, Lord of Darkness.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 07:22 PM   #88
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
If they think it will own the Libs and get some more judges in they will back Satan, Lord of Darkness.
They voted for Rump didn't they? And here they voted for Oz who wasn't really even a Penn resident.

Hopefully the fact the vote was split bodes well for the Democrat.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 07:47 PM   #89
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Hopefully Fetterman will recover quickly.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 09:27 PM   #90
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Hopefully Fetterman will recover quickly.
He's already recovered. They dissolved the clot before any permanent damage occurred.

The thing about strokes from afib clots is you resolve the etiology of the stroke. They are unlike strokes because of atherosclerotic narrowing of brain arteries/arterioles which have a poorer prognosis.
Old 4th June 2022, 07:55 PM   #91
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He's already recovered. They dissolved the clot before any permanent damage occurred.

The thing about strokes from afib clots is you resolve the etiology of the stroke. They are unlike strokes because of atherosclerotic narrowing of brain arteries/arterioles which have a poorer prognosis.
I hope you are right.

Fetterman may have to slow down, and his appeal is that he can actually appeal to getting crossover votes. But that means travel and work.

Oz is trying to run against general liberalism, and hasn’t addressed Fetterman as a candidate yet. Oz also need to shed his out-of-state image.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2022, 08:15 PM   #92
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

As I understand, he also had a pacemaker/defibrillator installed.

From my years as a hospital chargemaster, those things cost 40 to 50 thousand dollars.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2022, 09:47 AM   #93
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
As I understand, he also had a pacemaker/defibrillator installed.

From my years as a hospital chargemaster, those things cost 40 to 50 thousand dollars.
But did Dr. Oz install it?
Old 5th June 2022, 10:45 AM   #94
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
But did Dr. Oz install it?
Heh!

I wouldn't let that quack anywhere near me.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 03:04 PM   #95
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Oz the Everyman

https://twitter.com/jasonselvig/stat...DLuTQc8soKKPJA

Old 18th June 2022, 03:22 PM   #96
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's as staged a photo as a smiling Trump shaking a black man's hand.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 04:14 PM   #97
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
And who's the moron who agreed to pose with him?
Old 18th June 2022, 06:14 PM   #98
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

And who failed to tell him to take his ill-fitted jacket off and roll his sleeves up
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:33 AM   #99
plague311
Great minds think...

Everything about the picture sucks, and the comments are outstanding. Here this poor guy is just trying to move some gravel around, probably repair a back road, and up comes Dr. Oz to get a photo shoot.

Nothing in that picture goes together.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 08:02 AM   #100
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Everything about the picture sucks, and the comments are outstanding. Here this poor guy is just trying to move some gravel around, probably repair a back road, and up comes Dr. Oz to get a photo shoot.

Nothing in that picture goes together.
Yeah, that's pretty much what the picture screams to me as well. "Oh look, a hard working Joe in action, a perfect photo opportunity!"
Old 20th June 2022, 08:37 AM   #101
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much what the picture screams to me as well. "Oh look, a hard working Joe in action, a perfect photo opportunity!"

If he’s going to resort to such insincerity, I would advise him to start kissing babies. At least we might have a chance to bring him down on some sexual assault charge as a pedo.
Old 20th June 2022, 09:07 AM   #102
Donal
Philosopher

Probably just some dude trying to get his work done when Dro Oz from TV asked for a picture. That guy may not know Oz is running for senate. He may not even be able to recognize Oz.
Old 20th June 2022, 09:10 AM   #103
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
And who failed to tell him to take his ill-fitted jacket off and roll his sleeves up
An ill-fitting, 3-button jacket. That's another thing I never got about the Orange weakling. The guy professed to be a billionaire but his suits looked like his big brother's hand-me-downs. Is this really going to be a trend? Will the next line of attacks against Dems be that they must be elitist because their clothes fit?
Old 20th June 2022, 09:11 AM   #104
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Oz also cannot spell the PA township he claims to reside in.

https://twitter.com/politicspa/statu...MlueD1Vn8A4dMQ

Old 20th June 2022, 10:15 AM   #105
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Oprah Winfrey has a lot to answer for. Oz, Dr. Phil, The Secret, and on and on.
Old 20th June 2022, 11:12 AM   #106
Donal
Philosopher

not-a-Dr Phil. Jon of God. Jenny McCarthy. She's done some real damage.
Old 20th June 2022, 01:54 PM   #107
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
not-a-Dr Phil. Jon of God. Jenny McCarthy. She's done some real damage.
Can you say, "SATAN"? (Well a little stretch.)
Old 27th June 2022, 02:51 PM   #108
mikegriffith1
Critical Thinker

A "quack"? Why? Because he believes that faith can heal in some cases, that alternative medicines sometimes work, and that some phenomena are paranormal? Oz is a former cardiothoracic surgeon and a professor emeritus at Columbia University. "Quack" seems a bit excessive.
Old 27th June 2022, 02:58 PM   #109
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
A "quack"? Why? Because he believes that faith can heal in some cases, that alternative medicines sometimes work, and that some phenomena are paranormal? Oz is a former cardiothoracic surgeon and a professor emeritus at Columbia University. "Quack" seems a bit excessive.
BS, Oz is a quack with his excessive claims. As for medical degrees, quite a few people with medical degrees turn quack.
But I see you are one of those who would probably vote for Hitler if he ran on the GOP ticket.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 03:03 PM   #110
eerok
Quixoticist

Should be "dangerous quack" since all he does is spread misinformation while pretending to represent medical science.
Old 27th June 2022, 03:22 PM   #111
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

"Magic" weight loss claims - multiple times including pills he sells.
Speaking with the dead nonsense
Homeopathy advocacy
Rieki healing
Hydroxychlorquinine
Astrology for health
Various quack cold & flu cures, including collodial silver
Conversion Therapy
Negative Ion Pajamas

These are just a fraction of the quack claims Oz has made. This is a skeptics forum, did you think we'd just let you hand-wave this BS?

Old 27th June 2022, 03:53 PM   #112
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

For those who think that having advanced medical degrees shows you are not a quack. I give you the long list of "Dr.Feelgood"'s who were licensed to practice medicine but ended up peddling snake oil and phony cures and prescreding unneeded drugs to wealthy patients,particualry in Show Business.
No secret in Hollywood there were a number of doctors who, if you had the money and wanted prescription drugs for recreatinoal purporses would get you whatever you wanted ..for a price.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th June 2022, 04:26 PM   #113
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
For those who think that having advanced medical degrees shows you are not a quack. I give you the long list of "Dr.Feelgood"'s who were licensed to practice medicine but ended up peddling snake oil and phony cures and prescreding unneeded drugs to wealthy patients,particualry in Show Business.
No secret in Hollywood there were a number of doctors who, if you had the money and wanted prescription drugs for recreatinoal purporses would get you whatever you wanted ..for a price.
I JUST KNEW that's what got Flipper!
Old 27th June 2022, 10:06 PM   #114
grunion
Penultimate Amazing

Not excessive. Rather conservative use of the term in this case I should think. Here’s https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/a-seal-of-approval/ Mark Crislip of Science Based Medicine justification for the use of the term in the Doctor’s case. Oz ticks every quack box there is.
Old 28th June 2022, 06:01 AM   #115
Armitage72
Philosopher

If "alternative medicine" worked, it would just be called "medicine".
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 12:25 PM   #116
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sure as hell got Elvis and his would have been Son In Law Michael Jackson. In fact, one of Jackson's doctors went to jail for his obtaining drugs for Jackson.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th June 2022, 12:27 PM   #117
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Quacks with MD's are nothing new. They see they is money to be made with quack medicine , more then they can make legitmately, and then they use their MD as a selling point for the suckers.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th June 2022, 12:28 PM   #118
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As stated, Mike would support Adolf Hitler if he ran as a GOP candidate.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th June 2022, 05:18 AM   #119
Donal
Philosopher

I don't think Hitler could win in today's GOP. He spent too much money on public welfare projects.
Old 3rd July 2022, 06:31 PM   #120
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I heard Mr. Ed went down from a horse overdose. He just had to ride the white horse.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 3rd July 2022 at 06:32 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics