IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2022, 07:25 AM   #561
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Don't you need to actually reside in a state you're wanting to represent?

https://news.yahoo.com/georgia-senat...trk=fb&tsrc=fb
Lock him up. Put him in the same cell with Trump in Georgia.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 08:38 AM   #562
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
"A wall do work," he said. "When you got a wall around your house, people don't... yeah, but they can get in. But, you know what, if they get in, it would be hard to get out because I got a dog that... well, my dog really won't bite, but he's pretty bad anyway."

https://www.newsweek.com/herschel-wa...senate-1763364
Idiocracy was a satire, not a suggestion box.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 08:59 AM   #563
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Question: If Walker wins, will he actually serve? Or will he resign on some pretext so the governor can appoint a rabidly right-wing but less embarrassing successor?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 09:06 AM   #564
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Don't you need to actually reside in a state you're wanting to represent?

Yahoo news link
This seems to be standard for the MAGA Republicans. Mehmet Oz was not really a Pennsylvania resident. They run in places where they think they can be elected. Another example is marjorie taylor greene. greene and her husband resided in a suburb of Atlanta. greene had built a big social media following and was a huge supporter of trump. When she was ready to cash in -- ca-ching! -- she moved to a Georgia congressional district where the demographics were more in her favor.

This seems to reflect the social/tribal nature of MAGA politics. The people who support MAGA candidates don't care where they're from. Those voters aren't thinking about local representation. So long as they think a candidate 'hates the people I hate' they support them.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 09:11 AM   #565
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
So long as they think a candidate 'hates the people I hate' they support them.

That is as valid a reason for casting a vote as any.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 09:46 AM   #566
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Question: If Walker wins, will he actually serve? Or will he resign on some pretext so the governor can appoint a rabidly right-wing but less embarrassing successor?
He would take his place among the dozens of other GQP gibbering idiots in the Senate.
Old 30th November 2022, 10:09 AM   #567
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Well sure, if one is completely devoid of principle and humanity.

People who aren't sociopaths, however, typically vote for people they think will address important problems and at least try to make the world a better place for everyone.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 12:29 PM   #568
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

No it's not. How 'bout not hating any of your fellow citizens and voting for the person who will serve the community best?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 12:34 PM   #569
plague311
Great minds think...

"A wall do work," he said. "When you got a wall around your house, people don't... yeah, but they can get in. But, you know what, if they get in, it would be hard to get out because I got a dog that... well, my dog really won't bite, but he's pretty bad anyway."

Seriously speaking, has anyone checked to see if he's having a mild, persistent stroke? There has to be something mentally wrong. I know that's kind of a "Thanks Captain Obvious" statement, but doesn't he have any friends or family that care about him or his reputation? He's doing nothing but making a complete ass out of himself every time he's in front of a camera, and he knows it. He's admitted it when he spoke about their debates. I just can't imagine letting someone I care about do this to themselves time after time.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 12:39 PM   #570
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Seriously speaking, has anyone checked to see if he's having a mild, persistent stroke? There has to be something mentally wrong. I know that's kind of a "Thanks Captain Obvious" statement, but doesn't he have any friends or family that care about him or his reputation? He's doing nothing but making a complete ass out of himself every time he's in front of a camera, and he knows it. He's admitted it when he spoke about their debates. I just can't imagine letting someone I care about do this to themselves time after time.
The answer is "nope, the GOP doesn't care". As long as he wins and votes how they want in Congress, they don't care if he can't feed or wipe himself and regularly goes out without pants on while wearing a lampshade on his head.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 01:33 PM   #571
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if "persistent stroke" is a thing. A stroke is usually immediate and urgent. But there is some speculation that he may be suffering from CTE as a result of his many years playing football and MMA.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...likely-has-CTE
Old 30th November 2022, 01:36 PM   #572
kevbo
Critical Thinker

So... dogs are the answer. Especially dogs that don't bite? I am really glad that he cleared that up for me... well, maybe kinda, he did.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 01:44 PM   #573
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I don't know if "persistent stroke" is a thing. A stroke is usually immediate and urgent. But there is some speculation that he may be suffering from CTE as a result of his many years playing football and MMA.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...likely-has-CTE
It's probably not. That's why I do IT!
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 02:45 PM   #574
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

From Twitter:

“Herschel today: “So I got washed in the blood of Jesus at that time. And my life blossomed. God said, ‘You’re ready now.’ So all of the sudden I started watching television. I’m telling you, don’t be watching TV, because it will totally confuse you.”
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 02:52 PM   #575
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
From Twitter:

“Herschel today: “So I got washed in the blood of Jesus at that time. And my life blossomed. God said, ‘You’re ready now.’ So all of the sudden I started watching television. I’m telling you, don’t be watching TV, because it will totally confuse you.”
Did he say it in a television interview? That would be awesome.
Old 30th November 2022, 03:05 PM   #576
plague311
Great minds think...

Per Axios:

Quote:
As of Tuesday evening, more than 800,000 Georgians had voted in the runoff — which will define whether Democrats expand their Senate majority with a pivotal additional seat or whether the 50-50 majority remains for the remainder of President Biden's term.
Generally that's a really bad sign for the GQP candidate, and I'm hoping that holds true. Almost a million people have voted in a state of 10m. I'd consider that a pretty good turnout for a runoff.
Old 30th November 2022, 04:11 PM   #577
mgidm86
Philosopher

The party of Walker!
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 04:37 PM   #578
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
From Twitter:

Well, it sure did the job on him.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 11:22 PM   #579
Fidelio
Graduate Poster

Per Axios:

Generally that's a really bad sign for the GQP candidate, and I'm hoping that holds true. Almost a million people have voted in a state of 10m. I'd consider that a pretty good turnout for a runoff.
Never underestimate the stupidity of the redneck electorate. ~~~
imagining senator Hershal on CSPAN~~~
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 12:05 AM   #580
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Well, it sure did the job on him.
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
He would take his place among the dozens of other GQP gibbering idiots in the Senate.
Did he say it in a television interview? That would be awesome.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 03:57 AM   #581
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes, indeed, he should be left alone. In a padded cell.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 08:37 AM   #582
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Quote:
No one throws shade better than Barack Obama. No one.
https://twitter.com/JoJoFromJerz/sta...77801782677504
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:31 AM   #583
bobdroege7
Illuminator

Lets repeal that stupid amendment, we want you back.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:32 AM   #584
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Maybe when Walker dies they will determine that he has CTE from his football days (I sure wouldn't doubt it). Then it will be fun to watch this clip in a different light.

But I have to agree, Obama is very funny and witty.

Last edited by Warp12; 2nd December 2022 at 09:33 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:45 AM   #585
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Maybe when Walker dies they will determine that he has CTE from his football days (I sure wouldn't doubt it). Then it will be fun to watch this clip in a different light.

There's very little doubt in my mind that he does. Makes it important to keep him from becoming a United States Senator by any and all legal methods. If that's throwing shade... by literally just repeating the dumb ******* **** he's said before... then fine, OK.

Now he's (Walker) repeating the meme that people who criticize the US should just be kicked out, but for some reason only if they were born after 1990, a random arbitrary year Its the GoP who should be ashamed that they chose this man to be their representative in congress, not Obama who should be ashamed.

And yet another woman accuses him, this time of violence:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/polit...ion/index.html

But, yeah lets just focus on Obama, throwing some shade, not the utter imbecility of choosing this guy as a candidate for a senior federal position.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:53 AM   #586
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think if Walker were just some private person, maybe that would be true. Or if, like many of those people Trump and his ilk have insulted, his handicap had nothing do do with his competency to do his job. If, for example, he stammered. But he is running for the US Senate, and I don't think an attack on his competency to do the job should need any re-evaluation even if it's made clear why he should never have been in that position in the first place.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:12 AM   #587
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

I have to agree with him on this one.

https://www.newsweek.com/herschel-wa...-1764120?amp=1
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:18 AM   #588
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
But, yeah lets just focus on Obama, throwing some shade, not the utter imbecility of choosing this guy as a candidate for a senior federal position.

Hey, I thought it was funny. I'm just saying, if Walker does turn out to have brain damage, Obama clowning him as having the mind of a 7-year-old might not age too well.
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:25 AM   #589
slyjoe
Illuminator

Hey, I thought it was funny. I'm just saying, if Walker does turn out to have brain damage, Obama clowning him as having the mind of a 7-year-old might not age too well.
Why?

Do you think brain damage affects intelligence?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:38 AM   #590
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

To be clear, if it gets proven that Walker has brain damage you think that Obama pointing out how badly out of his depth Walker is will be bad, but the folks like you who cheer Walker on and hope he becomes a Senator will be considered the good guys? Like...pointing out a brain damaged man is incapable of doing the job is bad, but trying to give that brain damaged man a job when his failure to do the job has the potential to harm the entire country is somehow good?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:02 PM   #591
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
To be clear, if it gets proven that Walker has brain damage you think that Obama pointing out how badly out of his depth Walker is will be bad, but the folks like you who cheer Walker on and hope he becomes a Senator will be considered the good guys? Like...pointing out a brain damaged man is incapable of doing the job is bad, but trying to give that brain damaged man a job when his failure to do the job has the potential to harm the entire country is somehow good?

All things considered, factoring in how many voters support Walker? Yeah, I'd rather be in that group than be the former President who stood at a podium and cracked jokes about him having the mind of a 7-year-old.
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:25 PM   #592
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

A deliberative body

If Walker has brain damage, what will not age well is how close voters have already come to putting into a very high-ranking office. Prior to 2016 I might have described the US Senate as an august, deliberative body, but I don't believe this to be entirely true any longer.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 2nd December 2022 at 12:27 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:27 PM   #593
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
If Walker has brain damage, what will not age will is how close voters have already come to putting into a very high-ranking office. Prior to 2016 I might have described the US Senate as an august, deliberative body, but I don't believe this to be entirely true any longer.

And that speaks volumes about how much Dems are hated, as I mentioned. People might actually vote in someone with brain damage, rather than have a Democrat in the seat. It's so funny.
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:57 PM   #594
lobosrul5
Illuminator

And that speaks volumes about how much Dems are hated, as I mentioned. People might actually vote in someone with brain damage, rather than have a Democrat in the seat. It's so funny.
Better a senator with brain damage, with accusations of violence against women, and whose paid multiple women for abortions, than a Christian preacher who has an opposing viewpoint.

The "moral majority" indeed.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 01:03 PM   #595
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Remember when Trump made fun of that handicapped guy, man that was hysterical.

What Obama said was nothing compared to a fraction of what Trump has said.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 01:05 PM   #596
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Better a senator with brain damage, with accusations of violence against women, and whose paid multiple women for abortions, than a Christian preacher who has an opposing viewpoint.

The "moral majority" indeed.
Warp keeps on implying that it reflects how much people hate Dems, yet Walker lost the vote already, and it's shaping up like he'll lose this vote again. Also, it really reflects poorly on the voters that vote for Walker, to be completely honest. It goes to show how pathetically partisan those voters are that they don't give a **** who sits in the seat as long as it's an R and Warp12 finds that funny, for some reason. Republicans truly have lost the script.
Old 2nd December 2022, 01:51 PM   #597
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This is absolute nonsense. Republicans would rather have someone with brain damage than a Democrat in the seat. The demography in Georgia is mostly Republican. That Walker is so close to winning only shows that Republicans tend to vote for party over any other consideration.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 02:12 PM   #598
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

All things considered, factoring in how many voters support Walker? Yeah, I'd rather be in that group than be the former President who stood at a podium and cracked jokes about him having the mind of a 7-year-old.
When you'd rather be the guy who put a guy with the mind of a 7 year old in the Senate than be the guy who said not to, you know you have no principles.

And in a state that leans heavily R, the fact that Walker gets fewer votes than the Dem candidate really isn't something you should be crowing about.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 02:48 PM   #599
arayder
Illuminator

And that speaks volumes about how much Dems are hated. . .
Projection yet again?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 02:59 PM   #600
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I thought Obama just stated the facts. Walker has the mental capacity of a vindictive, uninformed 7-year-old punk. Considering he's a grown man, he needs treatment, not electing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics