IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old 30th November 2022, 03:35 AM   #1801
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Braverman strikes again! So now the once-wiped out disease of diptheria, is now circulating the UK again.

What a player.
Rees-Mogg will be happy, we're hurtling rapidly back to the 19th century.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 03:36 AM   #1802
Gulliver Foyle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Good Grief a Tory politician apparently showing a bit of backbone:

World Cup 2022: UK Sports minister Stuart Andrew wears OneLove armband
Gesture politics. The same fellow will likely support every effort by the current English government to unperson transgender people.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 03:42 AM   #1803
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Rees-Mogg will be happy, we're hurtling rapidly back to the 19th century.
I joked in the Scottish Ref thread that "Of course by that time they will have to explain to the rUK nationals what schools were and that healthcare doesn't mean Widow Winter's Universal poultice."

I really do need to stop making jokes.
Old 30th November 2022, 04:10 PM   #1804
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I joked in the Scottish Ref thread that "Of course by that time they will have to explain to the rUK nationals what schools were and that healthcare doesn't mean Widow Winter's Universal poultice."

I really do need to stop making jokes.
I swear by Nurse McReady's Surgical Bruise Lotion.

Preferably with a cocktail cherry.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 02:31 AM   #1805
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The UK government has abandoned any pretence of "levelling up" with Rishi Sunak's stout defence of tax-exempt status and public money for private schools.

The subtext seemed to be that if you don't send your kids to private school, you're not aspirational and you don't care about their future.

For the record, Rishi Sunak is an Old Wykehamist.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 06:24 PM   #1806
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I don't know what that means.
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 09:53 PM   #1807
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I don't know what that means.
It means he went to Winchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_College
Old 1st December 2022, 10:18 PM   #1808
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Cool, thanks.
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 02:45 AM   #1809
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Cool, thanks.
It's a point of note because Rees-Mogg used it as a snide put down to an MP of his own party a couple of years ago.

P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 10:42 PM   #1810
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Sajid Javid has announced that he won't stand as an MP at the next election. This just five months after he stood in an election to be the leader of the Conservative party, so it's not like he has been considering retiring for long. He's just realised that he's on his way out anyway, so why not get out ahead of the pack.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:57 PM   #1811
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Sajid Javid has announced that he won't stand as an MP at the next election. This just five months after he stood in an election to be the leader of the Conservative party, so it's not like he has been considering retiring for long. He's just realised that he's on his way out anyway, so why not get out ahead of the pack.
According to Rory Stewart on The Rest is Politics podcast, Javid wanted to be Sunak's chancellor of the exchequer and he was Sunak's preferred candidate. Hunt is the Party's choice and won't be going anywhere soon.

Looks like Javid is leaving in a bit of a huff and taking his ball with him. If he gets one of the major posts, I can see him reversing his decision "for the good of the country".
Old 3rd December 2022, 01:35 AM   #1812
Lothian
should be banned

What I found Interesting in the BBC article about Javid standing down was not the Javid bit, more the Tory party review of MP's intentions.

I suspect they are looking at opinion polls and will be trying to move MPs to new constituencies to try to save the favoured ones in what looks like it will be a massive culling of Tory MPs.
Depending on forecasts they may even try to move MPs who want to remain out of their seat to give a cabinet member a better chance of remaining in parliament.
That could upset local party members getting outsiders parachuted in.

I am sure this happens as they near every GE but this time the numbers clambering for a move to a safe seat will be unprecedented
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 06:46 AM   #1813
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

According to Rory Stewart on The Rest is Politics podcast, Javid wanted to be Sunak's chancellor of the exchequer and he was Sunak's preferred candidate. Hunt is the Party's choice and won't be going anywhere soon.

Looks like Javid is leaving in a bit of a huff and taking his ball with him. If he gets one of the major posts, I can see him reversing his decision "for the good of the country".
I think he's one of those politicians who's only interest in being an MP was as a necessary prerequisite for ministerial position & who's interest in being a constituency MP in opposition is basically zero.

Old 3rd December 2022, 06:56 AM   #1814
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The demand that Tory MPs declare their intentions for the next GE by Monday makes me suspect there will be a very early election. They've got to know they can't claw it back, but if they wait two years the rest of the world may be dragging us out of recession & Labour will get the recovery, they may feel it will be more advantageous to bail on the way down, then snipe from the sidelines as 12 years of Tory chickens come home to roost. Then when things are turning around try & win the next election, considering how many people believed Johnson when he claimed everything was someone elses fault when the Tories had been in power for 10 years, how many will believe them (maybe even him again) when they're not in power?

Old 3rd December 2022, 07:35 AM   #1815
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
The demand that Tory MPs declare their intentions for the next GE by Monday makes me suspect there will be a very early election. They've got to know they can't claw it back, but if they wait two years the rest of the world may be dragging us out of recession & Labour will get the recovery, they may feel it will be more advantageous to bail on the way down, then snipe from the sidelines as 12 years of Tory chickens come home to roost. Then when things are turning around try & win the next election, considering how many people believed Johnson when he claimed everything was someone elses fault when the Tories had been in power for 10 years, how many will believe them (maybe even him again) when they're not in power?
I think it is quite plausible that some Tories have drawn that conclusion. Problem is Sunak must know he won't personally survive a massive defeat and the ERG are terrified that whatever Starmer might say in public once Labour is in office they will try and repair relations with the EU. Labour certainly won't rubber stamp the ERG's bonfire of workers' rights and environmental protections.
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:25 AM   #1816
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Apparently BlowJob has indicated he will stand again. That's an open goal for Labour and the Lib Dems to gang up on him and run a campaign based solely on speeches in which he lied through his lying teeth and then lied about lying. And then publish lists of names of all those who died unneccessarily from Covid as a result of BlowJob's inactions and corruption.

But I am a vindictive person...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 11:05 AM   #1817
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The UK government has abandoned any pretence of "levelling up" with Rishi Sunak's stout defence of tax-exempt status and public money for private schools.

The subtext seemed to be that if you don't send your kids to private school, you're not aspirational and you don't care about their future.

OTOH Sunak got a half-price scholarship so his parents only had to pay half the £40,000 per annum fee, on the other hand, his brother also went there, so a whopping £40K fee per year, but not completely unaffordable as Dad was a GP (I think) and Mum was a pharmicist with her own chemist. Presumably they could claim the fees back in tax to some extent, if a trust was set up.

The irony is that the founder, Wykeham set up the school for poor boys, as it was assumed the aristocracy never needed to work. It became a 'feeder' for New College Oxford and once the rich realised the enormous benefits and prestige of such an education, they then appropriated it but forgot to get rid of the charitable status.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 05:39 AM   #1818
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Oh, do feel free to **** off to the far side of **** and then carry on ******* off some more, Zahawi you utter twunt!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2238518.html

Meantime, Barclay is refusing to negociate about pay and tries to deflect all talk on to things like body cameras - https://www.theguardian.com/society/...urses-over-pay

Yes, if I was still at work I would have voted for strike action, but then I was never a member of the notoriously useless RCN...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 06:50 AM   #1819
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It means he went to Winchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_College
I'm reminded of Sayers on Public Schools:
Quote:
"What schools do you call public schools?”

“Eton,” said Mr. Bredon, promptly, “—and Harrow,” he added, magnanimously, for he was an Eton man.

“Rugby,” suggested Mr. Ingleby.

“No, no,” protested Bredon, “that's a railway junction.”

Ingleby delivered a brisk left-hander to Bredon's jaw, which the latter parried neatly.

“And I've heard,” Bredon went on, “that there's a decentish sort of place at Winchester, if you're not too particular.”

“I once met a man who'd been to Marlborough,” suggested Ingleby.

“I'm sorry to hear that,” said Bredon. “They get a terrible set of hearty roughs down there. You can't be too careful of your associates, Ingleby.”
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2022, 08:04 AM   #1820
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Rishi Sunak is apparently shocked at the allegations made about Baroness Mone

Quote:
Rishi Sunak said he was "shocked" to read allegations about Baroness Mone, adding it was "absolutely right" that she is no longer attending the Lords.

The peer is taking a leave of absence amid claims she benefited from a firm she recommended for a Covid contract.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63888582

I guess he and his staff haven't been reading Private Eye for the last few months.

Unless of course he's shocked that the alleged wrongdoing is so blatant that she got caught, not that there is alleged wrongdoing.
Old 7th December 2022, 09:05 AM   #1821
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

So, all that money that was given to the companies which are absolutely nothing to do with Michelle Mone or her husband, which she just happened to aggressively (to use the word already used by civil servants and politicians) lobby for, as she had no connection at all with these companies and just picked some names at random to shout at folk about, was signed off by who?

Really the Exchequer knew nothing about hundreds of millions of pounds of expenditure?
Old 7th December 2022, 09:38 AM   #1822
Wudang
BOFH

Unless of course he's shocked that the alleged wrongdoing is so blatant that she got caught, not that there is alleged wrongdoing.
Captain Renault: I'm shocked! Shocked to find that gambling is going on in here.
Old 7th December 2022, 09:49 AM   #1823
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

So, apparently Mone has lost the Tory whip "by default"...

That's very convenient for Rish!, as it saves him actually having to make any class of a decision.
Old 7th December 2022, 11:09 AM   #1824
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

And Hancock has announced he will be stepping down as a MP.

Will the folk of south west Suffolk know the difference?

And another thing, Matt: all this recent blether about "campaigning" for dyslexia, errrr, can you tell me what you actually did for services for dyslexic folk while you were Secretary of State for Health'n'that? What, you didn't know that health services work with dyslexic folk? That quite a number of dyslexic bairns were picked up by CAMHS staff and school nurses? Y'know, groups of health workers whose numbers were cut by your party? And that's without looking at the numbers of educational psychologists and educational welfare officers which were cut by - wait for it, wait for it - your party. Good work there, Matt! Well done for dyslexic (and many other) folk!
Old 7th December 2022, 01:34 PM   #1825
Garrison
Philosopher

So Sunak wants to protect people's livelihoods, just obviously not nurses, ambulance drivers, train drivers, border guards, schoolteachers... Oh and to show his green credentials he has decided to approve a new coal mine!
Old 8th December 2022, 12:06 AM   #1826
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So Sunak wants to protect people's livelihoods, just obviously not nurses, ambulance drivers, train drivers, border guards, schoolteachers... Oh and to show his green credentials he has decided to approve a new coal mine!
...and he doesn't want employers to have to pay higher wages.

The livelihoods he wants to protect are those people whose main income comes from generous bonuses, dividends and share options.

IOW the sort of people he mixes with.
Old 8th December 2022, 12:38 AM   #1827
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Don't forget rent collectors, he's very keen on them
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2022, 03:02 AM   #1828
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

After the spin Nick Hancock is putting on his role as Health Minister during the pandemic, where he tries as hard as he can to dodge responsibility and make himself out to be the hero of the moment, Penny Mordant does the same.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/po...s-book-3945449

She uses the proceeds from a book she has written to help start up three food banks in her Portsmouth constituency. She will now think of herself as generous and caring and forget that the massive rise in the need for foodbanks is due to Tory policies and failures over the past decade.

Politicians are particularly adept at spotlighting what they can make out to be their greatness, whilst failing to accept responsibility for their failures.
Old 8th December 2022, 03:06 AM   #1829
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
After the spin Nick Hancock is putting on his role as Health Minister during the pandemic, where he tries as hard as he can to dodge responsibility and make himself out to be the hero of the moment, Penny Mordant does the same.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/po...s-book-3945449

She uses the proceeds from a book she has written to help start up three food banks in her Portsmouth constituency. She will now think of herself as generous and caring and forget that the massive rise in the need for foodbanks is due to Tory policies and failures over the past decade.

Politicians are particularly adept at spotlighting what they can make out to be their greatness, whilst failing to accept responsibility for their failures.
Which brings us nicely back to the often quoted example from the "Red Wall" where a prospective voter was lauding the Conservative Party for providing so many food banks when the Labour Government didn't.

Too few people are sufficiently interested to look further than the headline but that's hardly their fault. Most people don't have the time or interest to look beyond the headline.
Old 8th December 2022, 03:21 AM   #1830
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

...and he doesn't want employers to have to pay higher wages.

The livelihoods he wants to protect are those people whose main income comes from generous bonuses, dividends and share options.

IOW the sort of people he mixes with.

But he mixes with all sorts of people, he has friends from the upper class, the middle class, the working class... Well, not the working class obviously. [Brief chuckle at the absudity]

Old 8th December 2022, 03:28 AM   #1831
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
But he mixes with all sorts of people, he has friends from the upper class, the middle class, the working class... Well, not the working class obviously. [Brief chuckle at the absudity]
Well they're "working class" on the grounds that they are in paid employment

That's in contrast to his other friends who live of their family's wealth (upper class ) and/or the returns from their investments (middle class ).
Old 8th December 2022, 03:37 AM   #1832
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Government once again breaking records: 7.2m waiting for treatment in NHS England highest number since records began in August 2007…
Old 8th December 2022, 03:46 AM   #1833
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Hard to keep up with them, another whip removed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63897387
Quote:
Julian Knight has been suspended as a Conservative MP after a complaint was made to the Metropolitan Police, a party spokeswoman has said.

..snip…
Mr Knight becomes the fifth MP to currently have the Conservative whip removed.
As chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, Mr Knight has previously commented on drafts of the online safety bill.
Old 8th December 2022, 03:46 AM   #1834
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Government once again breaking records: 7.2m waiting for treatment in NHS England highest number since records began in August 2007…
Time to re-jig those definitions to reduce the number "waiting for treatment".
Old 8th December 2022, 05:20 AM   #1835
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Time to re-jig those definitions to reduce the number "waiting for treatment".
It'll be happening.

We went through a load of this stuff in days gone by: only count patients from fund-holding GPs (remember them?) as being officially on a "waiting list", which would be only around half the practices in the county; conduct a one-off "screening" exercise to take folk off the actual counted waiting list and on to the "no, these don't actually exist, honest" internal waiting lists which no-one else sees; introduce a model of "care", but do it wrongly, so that folk come off the external waiting list and, rather than being booked directly into follow up appointments as the actual model stipulates, put them on that invisible externally internal waiting list; send out an initial appointment, but do it so late or make the timing and location so inconvenient that it will either be cancelled or DNA'd and so said patient can be removed from the waiting list for non-attendance...

Seriously, all that and more has happened: I wrote a couple of pieces for a now dormant nursey blog about NHS management "counting" and the arcane philosophies which can underpin said "counting"; the understanding of epistemology, algebra, calculus, linguistics, quantum physics and all goes some way to explaining the move to nursing being an all graduate job...
Old 8th December 2022, 08:19 AM   #1836
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Hard to keep up with them, another whip removed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63897387
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...r-whip-removed

Seems as if it may be quite serious.
Old 8th December 2022, 11:07 AM   #1837
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Oh great, the government is going to create a free for all in the financial services sector

Quote:
The government is set to announce what it describes as one of the biggest overhauls of financial regulation for more than three decades.

It is expected to loosen rules on banks introduced after the financial crisis in 2008 when some banks faced collapse.

The changes will be presented as an example of post-Brexit freedom to tailor regulation specifically to the needs and strengths of the UK economy.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63905505

I think the next sentence encapsulates my views pretty well:

Quote:
Critics will say it risks forgetting the lessons of the financial crisis.
Nevermind, it'll be 15-20 years before the chickens come home to roost and those politicians will be long gone.
Old 9th December 2022, 02:56 AM   #1838
Gulliver Foyle
Graduate Poster

Rishi Sunak is apparently shocked at the allegations made about Baroness Mone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63888582

I guess he and his staff haven't been reading Private Eye for the last few months.

He's shocked to think that anybody would be so vulgar or so republican to accuse a peer of engaging in criminal acts.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2022, 02:57 AM   #1839
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
He's shocked to think that anybody would be so vulgar or so republican to accuse a peer of engaging in criminal acts.
Ah, but she's a Scottish slattern so what could he expect ?
Old 9th December 2022, 05:32 AM   #1840
Gulliver Foyle
Graduate Poster

Oh great, the government is going to create a free for all in the financial services sector

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63905505

I think the next sentence encapsulates my views pretty well:

Nevermind, it'll be 15-20 years before the chickens come home to roost and those politicians will be long gone.
Given that nothing really concrete was done to put manners on the banks etc. after 2008, I think such a regime will have almost immediate results. Look how close the pension funds were to a system collapse back in the autumn.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics