IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags russia , ukraine

Old 27th November 2022, 04:05 AM   #1001
jeremyp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Ah, sorry. I assumed you are concerned about safety. If it was just time wasted, wouldn't clicking be way faster than making a post about it ?
It’s fairly inconsiderate to post link only comments. Unfortunately, behaviour won’t be changed if everybody else just sucks it up.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 05:29 AM   #1002
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I did follow the link and spent longer dismissing ads and trying to navigate down the page while panes kept jumping around than I did actually reading the text. I'd have appreciated a one-sentence summary.

I got that the FSB claimed to have raided a pro-Ukrainian terrorist cell and killed a guy but the photo evidence they posted of terrorist paraphernalia looked like merch from some online game and now a player of that game has suddenly and mysteriously become uncontactable.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 10:09 AM   #1003
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Winter is going to cause problems for Russian troops

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/stat...UjgRhI9uo8NoXg

Even before being finishing training, there are outbreaks of infectious disease

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 06:06 PM   #1004
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Ah, sorry. I assumed you are concerned about safety. If it was just time wasted, wouldn't clicking be way faster than making a post about it ?
I would appreciate it if you actually read my entire post instead of only the first sentence. I covered that point in detail later in the post.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 01:31 AM   #1005
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Russia's still openly propagandizing future goals.

Quote:
Russia's strategy for decades to come is discussed on Russian state TV. Along with the claim that the Ukrainian language does not exist, pundit predicts Russia's absorption of the neighboring countries into "one big Russian home," with eventual expansion to the Balkans & Poland.
Old 28th November 2022, 01:51 AM   #1006
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Russia's still openly propagandizing future goals.
It makes sense. When successes are very thin on the ground and you've suffered a couple of humiliating reverses then claiming that it's all part of a much larger masterplan which is sure to succeed is the only way to keep the public upbeat and onside.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 08:47 AM   #1007
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

UK Intelligence reports that Russia continues to bombard the civilian concentration known as Kherson.
Old 28th November 2022, 08:51 AM   #1008
sackett
Philosopher

Reuters (and probably others) is running a story about Boeing "proposing" to the US government a combo of the M26 rocket with the small diameter bomb for a relatively cheap precision weapon w/ a range out to 120-130 km. Nothing novel there, though it may be news to the scribblers. I think that "proposal" in this context means "Hey, Unca Sam we'll sell ya these rocket booms CHEAP! Like only $40K each, 'n they're old tech, so you don't spill no secrets!"

Fine by this taxpayer. Keeping a static front hot isn't the same as advancing, but it maintains a degree of initiative.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 12:17 PM   #1009
ginjawarrior
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It makes sense. When successes are very thin on the ground and you've suffered a couple of humiliating reverses then claiming that it's all part of a much larger masterplan which is sure to succeed is the only way to keep the public upbeat and onside.
Yeah there's that side of it...

Or you can look at it as, that was always the master plan. Ukraine was just the first step.

If they'd fallen in 3 days then we'd either be neck deep in step two, or on the brink of it

But yeah Ukraini was always just the first step they just aren't pretending so much anymore
ginjawarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 12:25 PM   #1010
ginjawarrior
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
UK Intelligence reports that Russia continues to bombard the civilian concentration known as Kherson.
If AFU can't push them back from the left bank either cutting down from north past nova kakohka or just crossing the dinypro river then Kherson will just end up like Mariupol

Except this time the citizens can actually flee. Although not sure where hundreds of thousands are going to flee to

Last edited by ginjawarrior; 28th November 2022 at 12:26 PM.
ginjawarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 01:19 PM   #1011
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...droidApp_Other

I don't know how much Wagner is paying but it's not enough. No wonder they can't recruit anymore.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 07:07 PM   #1012
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Russia Strategy with these attacks seems to be like the German bombing of London after the battle of Britian:No military use, just an attempt to break the spirit of your enemy.
I don;t think it will work; Ukraine, like London, can take it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 10:39 PM   #1013
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Russia Strategy with these attacks seems to be like the German bombing of London after the battle of Britian:No military use, just an attempt to break the spirit of your enemy.
I hope so, though there is the fact that in 1940 personal heating and cooking in houses was still done by wood or coal (at least in most cases) so less dependent on a vulnerable infrastructure and the winters in the UK are far less severe than in Ukraine.

I hope NATO countries (can) come trough with their promise of support for the civilians in that area as well.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 12:31 PM   #1014
jeremyp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The destruction wrought on German cities during the same war was worse by orders of magnitude. It didn't break them either.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 01:11 PM   #1015
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
The destruction wrought on German cities during the same war was worse by orders of magnitude. It didn't break them either.
What does it look like when a population is broken? Do we have any cases where that's happened?

What would a broken population do under a nazi regime?

sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 01:18 PM   #1016
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
What does it look like when a population is broken? Do we have any cases where that's happened?

Bomber Harris' objective was de-housing the population. No it didn't lead to large scale uprisings by the German people, or even a mass refusal to work. But it certainly had an effect on their capability to continue the war. How many missiles is Russia sending that are getting through, 10 a day maybe? Whats the sum total of that explosive power? I'd wager a tiny little fraction of the amount of tonnage that the RAF and USAF dropped on Germany in WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehousing
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 01:59 PM   #1017
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Bomber Harris' objective was de-housing the population. No it didn't lead to large scale uprisings by the German people, or even a mass refusal to work. But it certainly had an effect on their capability to continue the war. How many missiles is Russia sending that are getting through, 10 a day maybe? Whats the sum total of that explosive power? I'd wager a tiny little fraction of the amount of tonnage that the RAF and USAF dropped on Germany in WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehousing
Roger. Reading you numbah one. But I'm asking if any cities' inhabitants have ever cracked under bombardment. Villages and small towns have certainly been abandoned by their populations, and I'd call that breaking. Who could blame people for running for their lives?

I sure don't wish it on Kyiv or any other Ukrainian cities.

Do I wish it on, say, St. Petersburg or Moscow? No, not them either.

Old 30th November 2022, 02:04 PM   #1018
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Strategic bombing worked with nukes. But there were many other circumstances. The population was not broken .. but the leadership was, namely the emperor.
But Ukraine is different. They know Russians would kill many of them if they gave up anyway. So I think they won't give up even if nukes are used.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 03:03 PM   #1019
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Reuters (and probably others) is running a story about Boeing "proposing" to the US government a combo of the M26 rocket with the small diameter bomb for a relatively cheap precision weapon w/ a range out to 120-130 km. Nothing novel there, though it may be news to the scribblers. I think that "proposal" in this context means "Hey, Unca Sam we'll sell ya these rocket booms CHEAP! Like only $40K each, 'n they're old tech, so you don't spill no secrets!"

Fine by this taxpayer. Keeping a static front hot isn't the same as advancing, but it maintains a degree of initiative.
I'm sure Boeing will be able to produce a non-working prototype by the mid 2030's or so.
Old 30th November 2022, 03:27 PM   #1020
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Of course that those plans would cause World War 3 (attacking Nato Contries)
might dampne that a bit.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 11:55 PM   #1021
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

These days electrical power is critical for just about everything. Knock out the power and just about everything else is gone too.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 12:16 AM   #1022
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
These days electrical power is critical for just about everything. Knock out the power and just about everything else is gone too.
There are reports that the Ukrainians are using diesel locomotives to move military supplies about.
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 12:46 AM   #1023
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
There are reports that the Ukrainians are using diesel locomotives to move military supplies about.
Which is good, but signals still need power.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 01:50 AM   #1024
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ee-2022-11-30/

Letter bombs at Ukrainian embassy in Spain and Spanish arms manufacturer making grenade launchers for Ukraine

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 02:18 AM   #1025
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile the Russians continue to grind on towards Bakhmut with another village in the area, Andrivka, taken in the last 24 hours.

Viewed one way, it's a trivial gain, a small village (though in this case they've at least managed a successful river crossing) taken slowly and doubtless at great loss.

Viewed another it seems to indicate that Russia can still take ground even against well dug-in Ukrainian defenders and that the new conscripts and/or forces redeployed from Kherson are making a difference.

Captain Swoop correctly pointed out that forces which have been "hollowed out" can suddenly collapse - the successful Ukrainian counterattack in Kharkiv is an excellent example - I wonder (fear) whether this could be the case w.r.t. Ukrainian defenders on the Eastern front.

I guess time will tell.
Old 1st December 2022, 09:41 AM   #1026
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm sure Boeing will be able to produce a non-working prototype by the mid 2030's or so.
It's in the current US Army inventory. I said old tech for a reason.

It's just a tube launched glide bomb fired from a self propelled launcher. That means it can deliver a quick ripple of silent, low-IR, guided warheads (after high-altitude separation from the rocket motor, natch) and skedaddle. Worth a try, sez Field Marshal Sackett, World's Leading Expert On Anything You Can Think About.

Old 1st December 2022, 09:46 AM   #1027
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Has Russia decided to go ahead and act like a terrorist state, now that they've been named one, or are these letter bombs completely unrelated?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ts-2022-12-01/
Old 1st December 2022, 10:03 AM   #1028
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It's in the current US Army inventory. I said old tech for a reason.

It's just a tube launched glide bomb fired from a self propelled launcher. That means it can deliver a quick ripple of silent, low-IR, guided warheads (after high-altitude separation from the rocket motor, natch) and skedaddle. Worth a try, sez Field Marshal Sackett, World's Leading Expert On Anything You Can Think About.
I'm pretty sure that Trebuchet knows that, and I seem to recall him saying that he's worked for Boeing.

Old 1st December 2022, 01:48 PM   #1029
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Has Russia decided to go ahead and act like a terrorist state, now that they've been named one, or are these letter bombs completely unrelated?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ts-2022-12-01/

I doubt the Russians had anything to do with this. They have almost nothing to gain, and a lot to lose if they're discovered. My guess is it's some especially deranged Putin fanboy.
Old 1st December 2022, 10:38 PM   #1030
Aridas

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
I doubt the Russians had anything to do with this. They have almost nothing to gain, and a lot to lose if they're discovered. My guess is it's some especially deranged Putin fanboy.
I think Russia actually is distinctly plausible, though, especially if the point was simply performative for an intended Russian audience. With that said, personally, I'd go with simply saying that I've not seen enough information to speculate meaningfully on probability. There are a lot of possibilities and no actually firm evidence about the culprit(s) to work with that I've seen.

Last edited by Aridas; 1st December 2022 at 10:40 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:44 AM   #1031
KDLarsen
Illuminator

What, exactly, do they have left to lose?

The West is pretty much universal in its condemnation and repudiation of Putin and his terror state already, and it's not like they haven't done overseas operations before, ie. Salisbury, where they pretty much gave the West the middle finger in response to outrage.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 03:12 AM   #1032
wobs
Master Poster

Lindybiege interviews brit who just returned from fighting in Ukraine. He had earlier interviewed him when he was about to first go out there. He had no previous military experience, but wasn't naive. He has led an interesting life doing all sorts, so has a variety of life skills.

You may recall the rocket attack on the base for training foreign nationals early in the war. Looks like he was there.

Anyway, its interesting as an on the ground perspective from the Ukarine side.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 2nd December 2022, 05:37 AM   #1033
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
What, exactly, do they have left to lose?

The West is pretty much universal in its condemnation and repudiation of Putin and his terror state already, and it's not like they haven't done overseas operations before, ie. Salisbury, where they pretty much gave the West the middle finger in response to outrage.

Sending letter bombs to a NATO military base, and now a NATO embassy, are grounds for invoking Article 5. Further, Putin's entire strategy at this point is predicated on turning Western public opinion against support for Ukraine. But such pinprick attacks can only serve to stiffen Western resolve, as the Spanish have already shown with their reiteration of support.
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:53 AM   #1034
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Well, looks like Russia is ready to talk.

And all they want is to be given everything, after which they'll compromise somehow I guess.

Maybe by promising not to take more land?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63832151
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:02 PM   #1035
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Well, looks like Russia is ready to talk.

And all they want is to be given everything, after which they'll compromise somehow I guess.

Maybe by promising not to take more land?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63832151
They even want land that they briefly held and have now lost. They are truly delusional.
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:08 PM   #1036
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

They even want land that they briefly held and have now lost. They are truly delusional.

Even worse, they want territory they've never held, such as Zaporizhzhia city.
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:20 PM   #1037
Aridas

Even worse, they want territory they've never held, such as Zaporizhzhia city.
Sadly enough, to me, that actually makes it sound like a more like a sincere offer for a temporary ceasefire, given Russia.
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:36 PM   #1038
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Sadly enough, to me, that actually makes it sound like a more like a sincere offer for a temporary ceasefire, given Russia.
Why would anyone give Russia an opportunity to regroup and re-equip on their terms ?
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:48 PM   #1039
Drewbot
Philosopher

The general consensus seems to be:

No talking until you leave the Ukraine.

This is a fair stance.

Russian has illegally been in Ukraine since 2014.
Russia has committed severe war crimes.

Biden is doing what Obama should have done in 2014.
Much easier to say now, knowing the deplorable condition/readiness of the Russian military.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 01:00 PM   #1040
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Also knowing the great strides Ukraine has made in military reform and readiness since 2014.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics