ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 12th January 2019, 12:43 PM   #1441
Minoosh
Philosopher

Clarification:

Who the hell writes Wikipedia, anyway?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 12:53 PM   #1442
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

@Michel H
Originally Posted by wiki
The InfoWars website receives approximately 10 million monthly visits, making its reach greater than some mainstream news websites such as The Economist and Newsweek.
Indeed, there's no shortage of conspiracy minded suckers in the world. Why anyone would think this validates Infowars is beyond me.

Are you aware of the concept of logical fallacies such as argumentum ad populum? It would behoove you to familiarize.

I'm going to leave it at that in deference to the thread topic.
Old 12th January 2019, 12:56 PM   #1443
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I really wonder just how many people actually believe Trump these days and how many are just using him because of judges or tax cuts or guns or that he's promoting their own brand of racist xenophobic homophobic nonsense. Because if you can't recognize that Trump is manifestly and inherently deceitful you're just a moron and immensely gullible.
Those who believe in Trump at this point clearly don't want to change their core beliefs, so they simply ignore the facts. I have a friend (in Canada) who only watches Fox News. Anything I try to tell him, he just calls "Fake News."
Old 12th January 2019, 01:00 PM   #1444
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Wikipedia doesn't write anything. It's a user-moderated encyclopedia that is written in a studied, neutral style that people can challenge and change if they cite appropriate outside references.

What the effing eff? The military is there for defense, not as some standby labor force to work in unspecified factories solving an unspecified problem. It's up to consumers to fix the trade deficit and if they do it wrong, Trump will just add a bunch of taxes to imports, then lie about how tariffs work. Americans are not told where to work and what to buy in the interest of some planned central economy. It's not part of our brand.

Gork ... I'm trying to puke, but all I'm getting is the dry heaves.
Quote:
Wikipedia doesn't write anything. It's a user-moderated encyclopedia that is written in a studied, neutral style that people can challenge and change if they cite appropriate outside references.
This was just a simplified way of expressing myself, Minoosh. Another example:
Quote:
Wikipedia writes things which are actually true and double checked
(https://www.quora.com/Should-Nitin-G...at-is-defaming )
Quote:
The military is there for defense, not as some standby labor force to work in unspecified factories solving an unspecified problem.
I have edited my post, to take your observation into account (replaced "G.I.'s" by "(former) G.I.'s").
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 01:07 PM   #1445
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
That's dated to just over 10 years ago.
Old 12th January 2019, 01:07 PM   #1446
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Apparently, you can't handle the truth.
I have explained in post #1437 why I said that about InfoWars, Elagabalus.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 01:40 PM   #1447
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Democratic head of House Foreign Affairs Committee creating special unit just to investigate Trump

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/dem...estigate-trump
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 01:47 PM   #1448
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Some records broken by Trump.
Longest shutdown, highest rate of staff turnover, most days golfing, biggest single-year increase in uninsured Americans, first President to never break 50% approval worst December stock market since Great Depression.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 01:56 PM   #1449
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Some records broken by Trump.
Longest shutdown, highest rate of staff turnover, most days golfing, biggest single-year increase in uninsured Americans, first President to never break 50% approval worst December stock market since Great Depression.
Add to that largest deficits,
Most children incarcerated
Most families separated
Most lies told.
Most people insulted.
Old 12th January 2019, 01:59 PM   #1450
fagin
Philosopher

It just gets better and better.
Old 12th January 2019, 02:08 PM   #1451
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Add to that largest deficits,
Most children incarcerated
Most families separated
Most lies told.
Most people insulted.
Obama had larger deficits
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 02:09 PM   #1452
Allen773
Muse

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
It just gets better and better.

I mean

Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 02:10 PM   #1453
Allen773
Muse

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Obama had larger deficits
Source?
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 02:14 PM   #1454
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningPlease remember this is the general chewing the fat thread about Trump. If you wish involved in depth discussions about a particular policy take it to the active thread on the subject (the chances of there not being one is quite low but if there isn't one you can always start one.) If you wish to discuss the veracity of a website to any degree, take that to its own thread and so on.
Posted By:Darat
Old 12th January 2019, 02:18 PM   #1455
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
Source?
https://www.apnews.com/044c01a171894e74b8f1b327c6350961

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The federal budget deficit has surged to $779 billion in fiscal 2018, its highest level in six years as President Donald Trump’s tax cuts caused the government to borrow more heavily in order to cover its spending.

The Treasury Department said Monday that the deficit climbed $113 billion from fiscal 2017. Debt will likely worsen in the coming years with the Trump administration expecting the deficit to top $1 trillion in 2019, nearly matching the $1.1 trillion imbalance from 2012.
ETA: why did you ask? Did you think I was wrong?

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 12th January 2019 at 02:22 PM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 02:42 PM   #1456
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Given that the tax cuts were supposed to create a surplus at the level of GDP growth in 2018, I think the Trump Deficit is historic, even if technically not the largest (which was set in motion by Bush before retiring).
Old 12th January 2019, 02:59 PM   #1457
eerok
Quixoticist

If we're doing Trump's Greatest Hits, that time the UN laughed at him should be remembered. That was something special.

Last edited by eerok; 12th January 2019 at 03:01 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 03:12 PM   #1458
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
It seems to me that Trump sounds here like a concerned and hard-working president.

What's next, his deep understanding of international trade, encyclopaedic knowledge of history and large circle of close personal friends?

Last edited by timhau; 12th January 2019 at 03:17 PM.
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 03:16 PM   #1459
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I don't like to "label" people or organizations, either as good or bad. Even if the "Islamic State" had said something of interest, I could try to report it on this forum or elsewhere, this is not illegal, as far as I know. The same is true for Trump, I generally have never liked most of his ideas, but I tend to think that he is perhaps not quite as bad as he looks, that some of his ideas actually may protect either his country, or the world (or both), an obvious example being a possibility of better relations with Russia. Another example is a slow troop withdrawal from Syria, which is probably much welcomed by Assad and Russia.

You cited Infowars without any supporting evidence.

If someone has a record of promting unhinged conspiracy theories and of making stuff up, why quote them? They have demonstrated they can't be trusted. If, by some strange happenstance, they have a real story, then link to some other site that carries it.

You might as well believe someone who claims to be telepathic.

It seems to me that Trump sounds here like a concerned and hard-working president.
It's easy to sound like a hardworking person.
I personally have been at work from 5am to 3am eight times this last week, and only stopped because my colleagues couldn't keep up with me, so they told me to slow down.

Trump is by far the laziest president the US has had, he's pretty much the laziest leader that any superpower has had - although Leonid Brezhnev might have been less active in his last few years.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 03:22 PM   #1460
Tero
Graduate Poster

Our local brewery is not getting labels for their new beer (old standards no problem) from the gov't approval step, so they are giving away growlers of beer to gov't employees.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 03:25 PM   #1461
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

NVM

Ninja'd by johnny karate (who's also apparently 'johnny ninjitsu')

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 12th January 2019 at 03:33 PM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 03:32 PM   #1462
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Some people are so eager to be Trump's props.

Quote:
On January 3, Brandon Judd, the president of the National Border Patrol Council (NBPC), stood next to President Trump in the White House Briefing Room and addressed the press: “I can personally tell you, from the work I’ve done on the southwest border, that walls actually work,” he said. “You hear a lot talk that there are experts that say that walls don’t work. I promise you that if you interview Border Patrol agents, they will tell you that walls work.”

After Judd finished speaking, Trump said that Judd and his colleagues “basically said—and I can take the word ‘basically’ out—that without a wall, you cannot have border security.”

At that very moment, however, the official policy of Judd’s organization—a union for employees of US Customs and Border Control—was that it “disagrees with wasting taxpayer money on building fences and walls along the border as a means of curtailing illegal immigration into the United States.”

That statement came from the official website of the NBPC’s “Media FAQ” page which argued at length against the policy of building border walls. The page, originally published in October 2012, was deleted on or after January 4, according to archives obtained through the Wayback Machine. This was the day after the press briefing, and four days before President Trump gave a prime-time television address arguing for Congress to spend $5.7 billion in order to build a larger wall along the US-Mexico border.
Linky.
Old 12th January 2019, 03:42 PM   #1463
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

If someone has a record of promting unhinged conspiracy theories and of making stuff up, why quote them? They have demonstrated they can't be trusted. If, by some strange happenstance, they have a real story, then link to some other site that carries it.

I personally have been at work from 5am to 3am eight times this last week, and only stopped because my colleagues couldn't keep up with me, so they told me to slow down.

Trump is by far the laziest president the US has had, he's pretty much the laziest leader that any superpower has had - although Leonid Brezhnev might have been less active in his last few years.
Quote:
I cited InfoWars (a popular though sometimes dubious news website) after I had read an InfoWars webpage that seemed interesting and of good quality to me, about a story that is verified in other ways. If you have doubts, you can do a quick Google search, but be warned that you might not find elsewhere some interesting insights.
Quote:
Indeed.
Quote:
I agree with you, that there is a difference between "sounding like a hard-working person", and "being an actual hard-working person", that's why I just said:"Trump sounds here like a ... hard-working president." Now, having said this, I don't think it's easy to be an US president, and I doubt this is a job for really lazy people" (just a personal opinion).
Old 12th January 2019, 03:47 PM   #1464
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
What's next, his deep understanding of international trade, encyclopaedic knowledge of history and large circle of close personal friends?
If I may, I would vote for "large circle of close personal friends" .
Old 12th January 2019, 03:58 PM   #1465
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Some people are so eager to be Trump's props.

Linky.
Thank you. Formatted/edited for emphasis:

Originally Posted by Judd, President NBPC, Trump stooge, Jan 3
You hear a lot talk that there are experts that say that walls donít work. I promise you that if you interview Border Patrol agents, they will tell you that walls work.
Originally Posted by NBPC Official Website
...disagrees with wasting taxpayer money on building fences and walls along the border as a means of curtailing illegal immigration into the United States
The page was deleted from their site on Jan 4.
Old 12th January 2019, 04:11 PM   #1466
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
https://www.apnews.com/044c01a171894e74b8f1b327c6350961

ETA: why did you ask? Did you think I was wrong?
Good job Trump's shutdown the government then!
Old 12th January 2019, 04:13 PM   #1467
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Don't know. I think Lenin may have been less hardworking over the last few years.
Old 12th January 2019, 04:38 PM   #1468
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Don't know. I think Lenin may have been less hardworking over the last few years.
Kim Il Sung has really been phoning it in since mid '94.

Still better than Trump though.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:41 PM   #1469
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Kim Il Sung has really been phoning it in since mid '94.

Still better than Trump though.
Thinking about it. Trump has probably did more for Russia than Leonid Brezhnev did in his last decade of power
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:43 PM   #1470
Minoosh
Philosopher

This was just a simplified way of expressing myself, Minoosh. Another example:

(https://www.quora.com/Should-Nitin-G...at-is-defaming )

I have edited my post, to take your observation into account (replaced "G.I.'s" by "(former) G.I.'s").
I don't know the right size and position for the U.S. military to deploy forces to defend itself and protect its interests abroad. Even if your suggestion was undoubtedly a good policy I still wouldn't trust Trump not to screw it up, even if his intentions were good. Those are two really big "ifs." I see no reason at all to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I agree with you, that there is a difference between "sounding like a hard-working person", and "being an actual hard-working person", that's why I just said:"Trump sounds here like a ... hard-working president." Now, having said this, I don't think it's easy to be an US president, and I doubt this is a job for really lazy people" (just a personal opinion).
A) Aren't weasel words great?
B) Trump had no idea how hard the job was.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:46 PM   #1471
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
He does indeed have a plan - to hold his breath until he gets what he wants. Everybody other than Michel thinks it's not a good idea to give him what he wants.
I think they should give him a wall. It will be a great opportunity for him to demonstrate his incompetence in a safe way. It will also let the USA function and the public servants get paid.
Pick another issue to make a stand on.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:49 PM   #1472
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Trump must go! At least to Mar a Lago. Iím shoveling snow and still itís about Trump.
And we all know what he's shovelling. Well, almost all.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 05:02 PM   #1473
a_unique_person

Nvm
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 12th January 2019 at 05:07 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 05:17 PM   #1474
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I think they should give him a wall. It will be a great opportunity for him to demonstrate his incompetence in a safe way. It will also let the USA function and the public servants get paid.
Pick another issue to make a stand on.
I don't think they should. Trump would not be gracious. He would gloat and boast until his fat head exploded. That this fact is the first one in my consideration vs the unfortunate Americans not being paid right now disappoints me greatly. Trump does not bring out the best in people.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 06:02 PM   #1475
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just to give everyone an idea of the scope building a wall across the 2000 mile US Mexico border.

This is a video where they flew a helicopter following the border from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
That was useful. Perhaps the Democrats should play the video in the Senate.

It also needs to go viral.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:05 PM   #1476
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Since this now the longest government shut down ever, Trump is going to so totally own it and boast how his is the biggest, strongest shutdown ever! He is very likely proud of it!
This is why the Democrats should be targeting McConnell and the GOP Senators and not Trump.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:07 PM   #1477
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
I don't think they should. Trump would not be gracious. He would gloat and boast until his fat head exploded. That this fact is the first one in my consideration vs the unfortunate Americans not being paid right now disappoints me greatly. Trump does not bring out the best in people.
He would. That's what he does and always has done.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:43 PM   #1478
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
So, you're knowingly foisting an infamously unreliable data source. One thing worse than delusionality ... lazy delusionality.

You misspelled "intentional".
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 06:47 PM   #1479
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I don't like to "label" people or organizations, either as good or bad. Even if the "Islamic State" had said something of interest, I could try to report it on this forum or elsewhere, this is not illegal, as far as I know. The same is true for Trump, I generally have never liked most of his ideas, but I tend to think that he is perhaps not quite as bad as he looks, that some of his ideas actually may protect either his country, or the world (or both), an obvious example being a possibility of better relations with Russia. Another example is a slow troop withdrawal from Syria, which is probably much welcomed by Assad and Russia.

You can have better relations with organized crime, too. If you give them what they want.

That's pretty much their business model, for that matter.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 07:03 PM   #1480
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
I don't think they should. Trump would not be gracious. He would gloat and boast until his fat head exploded....
I'd probably pay money to see that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics