ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 12th January 2019, 12:27 PM   #2601
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
How can we know anything? What if what you see as blue, I see as green? Or if all of this is a figment of my imagination? Or if I'm the figment of someone else's imagination?
I'm not asserting I do know anything. I'm asking about your assertion.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 02:17 PM   #2602
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
How can you ask him about his assertion if you don't know he made an assertion?
Old 12th January 2019, 02:24 PM   #2603
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

How do you know he doesn't know?
Old 12th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #2604
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I don't feel knowing it is an assertion is a requirement for asking.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 02:32 PM   #2605
fagin
Philosopher

I have no opinion on that.
Old 12th January 2019, 02:34 PM   #2606
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Because he’s got the emergency-powers arrow squirrel in his quivver back pocket, all set to let it fly loose* on that day?

*Thank goodness, poor thing.
There are already enough squirrels loose in his head. So what's one more!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 02:38 PM   #2607
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Who are you posting about?
Old 12th January 2019, 02:41 PM   #2608
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Question

Bobthecoward
Old 12th January 2019, 03:36 PM   #2609
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

But how do you know that you don't feel that?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 03:48 PM   #2610
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Wow, just learned in the Failing New York Times that the corrupt former leaders of the FBI, almost all fired or forced to leave the agency for some very bad reasons, opened up an investigation on me, for no reason & with no proof, after I fired Lyin’ James Comey, a total sleaze!...

...Funny thing about James Comey. Everybody wanted him fired, Republican and Democrat alike. After the rigged & botched Crooked Hillary investigatAmerica. He was a Crooked Cop...

.....who is being totally protected by his best friend, Bob Mueller, & the 13 Angry Democrats - leaking machines who have NO interest in going after the Real Collusion (and much more) by Crooked Hillary Clinton, her Campaign, and the Democratic National Committee. Just Watch!
Comey and the FBI hid the existence of the investigation into the Trump campaign from the American public prior to the election.

Mueller was named special counsel by a Trump appointee.

Anyone who believes Trump’s conspiracy theories is a moron.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:04 PM   #2611
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Not a clue
Old 12th January 2019, 04:10 PM   #2612
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Bobthecoward
I've no opinion about that.
Old 12th January 2019, 04:37 PM   #2613
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladi*mir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.

Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump’s actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson.

The constraints that Trump imposed are part of a broader pattern by the president of shielding his communications with Putin from public scrutiny and preventing even high-ranking officials in his own administration from fully knowing what he has told one of the United States’ main adversaries.

As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump’s face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.
Linky.

Totally innocent.
Old 12th January 2019, 04:40 PM   #2614
Mojo
Mostly harmless

How do you know it isn't swift?
How can we know anything? What if what you see as blue, I see as green? Or if all of this is a figment of my imagination? Or if I'm the figment of someone else's imagination?
Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
How do you know he doesn't know?
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I have no opinion on that.
Bobthecoward
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Not a clue
I've no opinion about that.

Whut?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:59 PM   #2615
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Whut?
Obviously, you have never previously encountered an example of "bobbing a thread"!
Old 12th January 2019, 05:07 PM   #2616
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Obviously, you have never previously encountered an example of "bobbing a thread"!
Which, unfortunately, is more a result of others responding than of Bob himself.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:02 PM   #2617
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump Tweets

Lyin’ James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Peter S and his lover, agent Lisa Page, & more, all disgraced and/or fired and caught in the act. These are just some of the losers that tried to do a number on your President. Part of the Witch Hunt. Remember the “insurance policy?” This is it!
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Lisa Page was a lawyer, not an agent, IIRC.

And apparently Trump still hasn't figured out how to spell "Strzok".
Old 12th January 2019, 06:13 PM   #2618
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

This is more like an example of "Bobbing a Bob".
Old 12th January 2019, 06:40 PM   #2619
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
This is more like an example of "Bobbing a Bob".
What? Recursive "bobbing"?

Tell me it ain't so.

Back to topic, it seems to me that Trump supporters are simple sheep. As Trump ramps up his rhetoric, so they in turn ramp up their apologia.

Surely at some point the disconnect must become untenable.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 06:49 PM   #2620
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Which, unfortunately, is more a result of others responding than of Bob himself.
Let's not blame the fish for the fisherman's hook.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 06:52 PM   #2621
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I still honestly want to know what one considers swift justice.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:58 PM   #2622
Steve
Illuminator

Justice that happens quickly.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:59 PM   #2623
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Justice that happens quickly.
You're gonna be soooooooorrryyyyyyy….
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 07:01 PM   #2624
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Let's not blame the fish for the fisherman's hook.
Fine. I'll accept responses to Bob from anyone who acknowledges being as dumb as a fish.
Old 12th January 2019, 07:07 PM   #2625
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You're gonna be soooooooorrryyyyyyy….
I am quite familiar . Sometimes I like to play a little but then I get bored easily and just stop.
Old 12th January 2019, 07:13 PM   #2626
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A kick in the nuts.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 09:11 PM   #2627
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I am quite familiar . Sometimes I like to play a little but then I get bored easily and just stop.
Yeah, I can relate. Look at it as entertainment.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 09:32 PM   #2628
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Linky.

Totally innocent.
He's the president. Just trust him.
Old 12th January 2019, 09:35 PM   #2629
Stacyhs
Philosopher

He's the president. Just trust him.
Would he lie to you?
Old 13th January 2019, 04:42 AM   #2630
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump took notes from his translators, there are no records, not even classified ones, of what Trump and Putin discussed, and even some of Trump's advisors are in the dark.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...0a8_story.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 04:49 AM   #2631
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Trump took notes from his translators, there are no records, not even classified ones, of what Trump and Putin discussed, and even some of Trump's advisors are in the dark.

Perhaps Putin will have kept a record?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 05:59 AM   #2632
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Perhaps Putin will have kept a record?

I expect he has a recording of every meeting.
Old 13th January 2019, 08:11 AM   #2633
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I expect he has a recording of every meeting.
I would act on the assumption that Putin will be having every meeting recorded. And not just the ones he attends.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 08:13 AM   #2634
carlitos
"más divertido"

Mueller Investigation pt4

I’ve read these reports and I find myself skeptical. The stories are almost too good for the narrative that Trump is beholden to Putin, like maybe a leaker(s) with an agenda is feeding them to the reporter. I want to read some more thorough reporting before making up my mind.

Maybe someone can research Trump’s interactions with other shady leaders and compare/contrast. For instance, at the start of the presidency, we read a lot of stories that it was his habit to tear up the paper of his speeches, notes, etc. into little pieces and that archivists were having to re-assemble them for public records purposes. Not that this would excuse anything, I’m just a little leery of this storyline.

Last edited by carlitos; 13th January 2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Clarity and grammar
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 08:17 AM   #2635
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I’ve read these reports and I find myself skeptical. The stories are almost too good for the narrative that Trump is beholden to Putin, like maybe a leaker with an agenda is feeding them to the reporter. I want to read some more thorough reporting before making up my mind. Maybe someone can research Trump’s interactions with other shady leaders and compare/contrast. For instance, at the start of the presidency, we read a lot of stories that it was his habit tore up speeches, notes, etc. Not that this would excuse anything, I’m just a little leery of this storyline.
We already know for a fact that customary meeting "read outs" were not read out.
Old 13th January 2019, 08:22 AM   #2636
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
We already know for a fact that customary meeting "read outs" were not read out.

Ok, as an example, was that only for the Russia meetings?
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 08:28 AM   #2637
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I’ve read these reports and I find myself skeptical. The stories are almost too good for the narrative that Trump is beholden to Putin, like maybe a leaker(s) with an agenda is feeding them to the reporter. I want to read some more thorough reporting before making up my mind.

Maybe someone can research Trump’s interactions with other shady leaders and compare/contrast. For instance, at the start of the presidency, we read a lot of stories that it was his habit to tear up the paper of his speeches, notes, etc. into little pieces and that archivists were having to re-assemble them for public records purposes. Not that this would excuse anything, I’m just a little leery of this storyline.
We'll know for certain if Trump starts saying that he's been open but Hillary or Obama concealed details about meetings with the Russians.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:19 AM   #2638
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Whut?
It's performance art, it's rather like Mornington Crescent but without the strict rules.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:37 AM   #2639
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This noise by Trump that FBI is some subversive anti-GOP group is bonkers.
They must be the most Republican organisation in the government.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:46 AM   #2640
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

This noise by Trump that FBI is some subversive anti-GOP group is bonkers.
They must be the most Republican organisation in the government.
Let's consider the last few weeks of the 2016 election. Comey publicly announced that they might be reopening the investigation of Hillary, based on (as it turns out) nothing. Meanwhile, there really were ongoing investigations into Trump's Russia ties and into Russia's interfering for Trump. They didn't mention either of those.

And this is the FBI helping Hillary?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics