ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Mike Pompeo , religion and politics , Trump administration

Old 28th December 2018, 10:32 AM   #1
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

In it till the Rapture!

I don't know whether this has been noted anywhere else, but Mr Pompeo let us know he's doing the Lord's work.....Holy expletive deleted....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Minoosh
Philosopher

People who think the world is going to end soon are poor candidates for government service, IMO. Sustainability is going to be of no interest whatsoever and they're probably happy to hasten Armageddon in the Middle East. Good thing Pompeo has been "outed" because even though there are voters who agree with him, a lot of people won't. One article said Pompeo is part of White House bible study run by a fervent anti-Catholic. Also, I seem to recall Israelis being none too happy to be associated with so-called Christians who seem to think they're doing Israel some kind of favor by announcing that Israel will be a key part of the Second Coming and "perfected" which as far as I tell means converted to Christianity so Jews can go to heaven after all.

It's not so much that evangelicals follow the bible; it's that they follow the most bat-**** crazy part of the bible. If Pompeo were a Catholic (which I probably assumed he was), I wouldn't be so concerned.

Best-case scenario, Pompeo is a hypocrite playing to his audience at that time.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Scary. But not surprising.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 02:16 PM   #4
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I hear this in Timon the meerkat's voice.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Diablo
Muse

There should be a separation of church and state.... oh wait...
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Well actually, I am surprised. I know Trump has a bunch of Evangelicals around him. Pompeo must have been recommended by Pence or something.

But Rapture believers? I would have thought that's an extreme element within the Evangelical crowd. Perhaps I should reconsider.
Old 28th December 2018, 08:10 PM   #7
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
But Rapture believers? I would have thought that's an extreme element within the Evangelical crowd. Perhaps I should reconsider.
What do you mean? Evangelicals are the primary believers in the rapture.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
What do you mean? Evangelicals are the primary believers in the rapture.
Sure but even if all Rapture believers are Evangelical, not all Evangelicals are necessarily Rapture believers. If they are, it's news to me.
Old 28th December 2018, 08:28 PM   #9
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Sure but even if all Rapture believers are Evangelical, not all Evangelicals are necessarily Rapture believers. If they are, it's news to me.

They possibly are Rapture believers, but smart enough not to publicise it.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 08:28 PM   #10
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

??? That doesn't make much sense as a response.

Rapture believers aren't an extreme element within the Evangelicalism, they are a majority.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 28th December 2018 at 08:29 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 08:32 PM   #11
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
They possibly are Rapture believers, but smart enough not to publicise it.
Uh, no. They are very loud about it. It's actually built in to the name Evangelical, which means to publicize and promote.

Is the situation much different in your country?

Old 28th December 2018, 08:40 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Rapture believers aren't an extreme element within the Evangelicalism, they are a majority.
Link?
Old 28th December 2018, 08:51 PM   #13
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 28th December 2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 28th December 2018, 10:02 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Great. Wiki data dump.

How about a quote of the proportion of Evangelicals that are also Rapture believers?
Old 29th December 2018, 12:00 AM   #15
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Just the first sentence is sufficient.

Old 29th December 2018, 12:07 AM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just the first sentence is sufficient.
That says nothing about proportion of Evangelicals who believe in the Rapture.
Quote:
The rapture is an eschatological concept of certain Christians, particularly within branches of North American evangelicalism, consisting of an end time event when all Christian believers – living and dead – will rise into Heaven and join Christ.[1][2] Some adherents believe this event is predicted and described in Paul's First Epistle to the Thessalonians in the Bible,[3] where he uses the Greek harpazo (ἁρπάζω), meaning to snatch away or seize.
Remember, this is what you claimed:
Quote:
I rest my case, not all Evangelicals believe in the Rapture and you have not supported your claim "they are a majority."

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 29th December 2018 at 12:09 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 12:08 AM   #17
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

It's a very american thing at least. Until I started reading things on the internet from american websites I'd never heard of the rapture. If there are any dutch/european denominations that believe that, they are very quiet about it.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 12:14 AM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
It's a very american thing at least. Until I started reading things on the internet from american websites I'd never heard of the rapture. If there are any dutch/european denominations that believe that, they are very quiet about it.
It was amplified here by the popular book series by Tim Lahaye called Left Behind. They also turned one (some) of them into a movie. It was like a soap opera you wanted to keep watching to see what happened next.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behind

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 29th December 2018 at 12:16 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 12:17 AM   #19
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Uh, no. They are very loud about it. It's actually built in to the name Evangelical, which means to publicize and promote.

Is the situation much different in your country?

I honestly don't know any rapture frootloops (i.e, promoting the rapture is their major hobby), and cannot recall the last time I read about one. I imagine we have some, but they hold no prominence of any sort that I am aware of.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 12:23 AM   #20
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Great. Wiki data dump.

How about a quote of the proportion of Evangelicals that are also Rapture believers?
Evangelical/rapture believers. Same thing.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 12:46 AM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Evangelical/rapture believers. Same thing.

No it isn't.
Old 29th December 2018, 01:22 AM   #22
This is The End

The vast majority of evangelicals believe the rapture will happen at some point in the future.

A small subset of evangelicals believe the rapture will happen within a double digit number of years.

Glad I am able to clear that up.
Old 29th December 2018, 07:13 AM   #23
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

No it isn't.
Yup, I think This Is The End has summed it up.

when talking about "the Rapture" in these terms, like you, I would think that's supposed to be imminent, or at least within a lifetime.

believing in a day of judgement is not the same.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 07:13 AM   #24
sphenisc
Illuminator

In a global survey of Evangelical Protestant Leaders, " Six-in-ten leaders (61%) also say they believe in the Rapture of the Church — the teaching that believers will be instantly caught up with Christ before the Great Tribulation, leaving non-believers behind to suffer on Earth."

http://www.pewforum.org/2011/06/22/g...urvey-beliefs/
Old 29th December 2018, 08:21 AM   #25
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
In a global survey of Evangelical Protestant Leaders, " Six-in-ten leaders (61%) also say they believe in the Rapture of the Church — the teaching that believers will be instantly caught up with Christ before the Great Tribulation, leaving non-believers behind to suffer on Earth."

Interesting in context of the GOP's relationship with evangelicals

Quote:
With near unanimity, the Lausanne leaders see two practices as essential to being a good evangelical Christian. Virtually all of the leaders surveyed (97%) say it is necessary to follow the teachings of Christ in one’s personal and family life. Nearly as many (94%) say that working to lead others to Christ is part of being a good evangelical.

Smaller but still substantial majorities of leaders also agree on several other essential behaviors. About three-quarters (73%) say working to help the poor and needy is essential for being a good evangelical Christian; 24% say this is important but not essential. There is widespread agreement about this activity among leaders from all regions of the world. Fully 74% of leaders from the Global North say helping the poor and needy is essential, as do 72% of leaders from the Global South.
And in answer to Skeptic Ginger's point - there is only a slight majority in favour of an imminent Rapture

Quote:
A slight majority of leaders (52%) believe that Christ will either probably (44%) or definitely (8%) return in their lifetimes. Six-in-ten leaders (61%) also say they believe in the Rapture of the Church — the teaching that believers will be instantly caught up with Christ before the Great Tribulation, leaving non-believers behind to suffer on Earth.
ETA: But only a minority in the Global North (which includes the US, as well as Australia)

Quote:
When it comes to these beliefs about eschatology or the End Times, regional differences once again are notable. Two-thirds of Global South leaders (67%) say Christ definitely or probably will return in their lifetimes, compared with a third of Global North leaders (34%). Renewalist leaders are also more likely than non-renewalists to believe that Christ is likely to return in their lifetimes (60% vs. 47%). Among leaders from the Global South, 73% say they believe in the Rapture, compared with 44% of Global North leaders. But majorities of those surveyed from all regions except Europe believe in the rapture of the Church; evangelical leaders from sub-Saharan Africa are especially likely to believe in the Rapture (82%).
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 29th December 2018 at 08:23 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 08:28 AM   #26
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I thought about citing that but assumed it will fall on deaf ears because it's specifically about leadership. Here is something more on point for someone who needs a water is wet explanation:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...turn-to-earth/ (ETA: I'm tempted to predict the excuse for ignoring this one).

The fact is that, in the US, the number are such that it's pretty close to arithmetically impossible for any large Christian sect not to be dominated by Rapture believers of some kind. Rapture belief and related ideas, such as evolution denial, are rampant in the US.

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/
http://www.pewforum.org/religious-la...ing-scripture/

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 29th December 2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 29th December 2018, 08:36 AM   #27
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

See my last most before this one for links.

No it isn't.
While you are technically correct that not all Evangelicals are believers in the Rapture the majority are. If not Evangelicals, then who? Which sect did you think had the most? You apparently thought they'd be a fringe group amongst Evangelicals. In the US Rapture believers are so numerous that they can't be a fringe group in any large Christian sect. There's just too many of them for the numbers to work any other way.

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
The vast majority of evangelicals believe the rapture will happen at some point in the future.

A small subset of evangelicals believe the rapture will happen within a double digit number of years.

That "small subset" it actually still a majority of Evangelicals.

Old 29th December 2018, 09:15 AM   #28
Egg
Graduate Poster

I thought about citing that but assumed it will fall on deaf ears because it's specifically about leadership. Here is something more on point for someone who needs a water is wet explanation:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...turn-to-earth/

The fact is that, in the US, the number are such that it's pretty close to arithmetically impossible for any large Christian sect not to be dominated by Rapture believers of some kind. Rapture belief and related ideas, such as evolution denial, are rampant in the US.
As your earlier wiki link showed, the second coming and the rapture are not necessarily the same.

"That's the thing with eggs: It's all about chicks and getting laid." - Wuschel
"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg" - Samuel Butler
“When arguing with a stone an egg is always wrong” - African proverb
“A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked” - Bernard Meltzer
Egg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 09:22 AM   #29
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Good timing, Egg.

Old 29th December 2018, 09:28 AM   #30
sylvan8798
Master Poster

I wish there were a rapture-believer in here - I have some questions about the mechanics of this event.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 09:41 AM   #31
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
I wish there were a rapture-believer in here - I have some questions about the mechanics of this event.
I've a friend who's a rapturist and has kept me up-to-date on the relevant details, perhaps I can be of assistance?
Old 29th December 2018, 09:44 AM   #32
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I've a friend who's a rapturist and has kept me up-to-date on the relevant details, perhaps I can be of assistance?
Can we have their stuff?
Old 29th December 2018, 10:12 AM   #33
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Can we have their stuff?
In the event it happens I'd be happy to forward you 100+ tomes on why you're going to hell.
Old 29th December 2018, 10:34 AM   #34
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

In the event it happens I'd be happy to forward you 100+ tomes on why you're going to hell.
Yes, yes, yes, but can we have their stuff?
Old 29th December 2018, 10:55 AM   #35
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

He's an Evangelical deacon and teaches Sunday school, so it shouldn't be much of a shock.
Old 29th December 2018, 11:33 AM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

NVM

Last edited by theprestige; 29th December 2018 at 11:34 AM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 12:08 PM   #37
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Yes, including their dirty undies, since it is common wisdom that you get raptured in the nude.
Old 29th December 2018, 01:18 PM   #38
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Do the rapturees get any advance warning? I mean, I think I'd be really pissed off if I spent my last days on earth doing laundry and scrubbing the floors and paying off debts when what I really wanted to do was relax and have a beer, and then POOF the good-for-nothing clowns next door end up not only with all the beer but a basket of clean undies too!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 05:01 PM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What makes you think the sort of person who would get raptured would even have any stuff you'd want? DVD box set of "The Waltons", perhaps, if they even have a DVD player. No alcohol, no sex toys, no porn. Possibly not even soda. They're not people who have Grand Theft Auto, a freezer bag full of coke, and a collection of exciting leather costumes is what I'm getting at. These are people who are too boring to get into Hell.
Old 29th December 2018, 05:02 PM   #40
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post

And you know this, how?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics