ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 12th January 2019, 07:36 PM   #1481
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Thought this was worth pointing out: Wiki on Infowars: During the 2016 presidential election, the website was promoted by bots connected to the Russian government.[32]
Old 12th January 2019, 07:38 PM   #1482
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wonder if anyone fact-checked that tweet? This article from September does not support that claim, but it is 4 months old and it tracks only brand-name drugs.
If it is true, the decline has nothing to do with Dump's policies. He's done NOTHING to bring down drug prices.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 08:07 PM   #1483
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This does not surprise me. And, when we know that Russia is often less dangerous and trouble-making than the U.S. in the world ... .
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 08:11 PM   #1484
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
If it is true, the decline has nothing to do with Dump's policies. He's done NOTHING to bring down drug prices.
So, you have invented a new name for your president, now. I wonder if InfoWars would do such a thing .
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 08:18 PM   #1485
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

23% of Federal inmates are illegal immigrants. Border arrests are up 240%. In the Great State of Texas, between 2011 & 2018, there were a total of 292,000 crimes by illegal aliens, 539 murders, 32,000 assaults, 3,426 sexual assaults and 3000 weapons charges. Democrats come back!.
Note these numbers represent 8 years of incidents. So I decided to put them in context and chose murders, which I figured would be easiest to get some data on. But the data I found were on murder rates, not total numbers. So making some rough estimates I computed that the 539 murders were less than .4% of total murders over the same period.

Doesn't sound so scary when the number is .4% rather than the total Dump cited. I'm sure that's just accidental.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 08:21 PM   #1486
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
For Trump fans, they'll just take the investigation as evidence that the FBI went rogue.
No, they'll claim it's FAKE news; that it isn't true at all.
Old 12th January 2019, 08:26 PM   #1487
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post

Thank you, InfoWars, for contributing to peace in the world.
Then I tossed my cornflakes.
Old 12th January 2019, 08:31 PM   #1488
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Obama had larger deficits
If so, would you like to speculate as to the reasons?
Old 12th January 2019, 08:37 PM   #1489
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I think they should give him a wall. It will be a great opportunity for him to demonstrate his incompetence in a safe way. It will also let the USA function and the public servants get paid.
Pick another issue to make a stand on.
You've stated this opinion many times and a number of posters have stated cogent and reasonable reasons why this is a bad idea. I wonder why you keep don't take those comments into consideration.
Old 12th January 2019, 08:40 PM   #1490
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

If so, would you like to speculate as to the reasons?
No. And it isn't "if so." It is so.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 08:57 PM   #1491
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This does not surprise me. And, when we know that Russia is often less dangerous and trouble-making than the U.S. in the world ... .
So you are pro-Putin and pro-Trump?

Or are you pro-Russian imperialism and anti-USA imperialism?

Enlighten me.
Old 12th January 2019, 08:59 PM   #1492
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So, you have invented a new name for your president, now. I wonder if InfoWars would do such a thing .

OMG it's the second time I posted the laughing dog in as many days.
Old 12th January 2019, 09:02 PM   #1493
Stacyhs
Philosopher

There is no doubt that these bots are still very active on the internet. I rather suspect we have at least one on ISF.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 09:13 PM   #1494
Michel H
Graduate Poster

So you are pro-Putin and pro-Trump?

Or are you pro-Russian imperialism and anti-USA imperialism?

Enlighten me.
I would say I am against brutal and arrogant imperialism by any nation (but I see more of that coming from the U.S. than from Russia). Regarding Putin and Trump, I am not systematically "pro" or "anti", it depends on each issue. I believe the Dems should go back to the White House, and explain their border security plans, including physical barriers (for which they voted on January 3), and try to convince their president, and negotiate around that.
Old 12th January 2019, 09:17 PM   #1495
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I would say I am against brutal and arrogant imperialism by any nation (but I see more of that coming from the U.S. than from Russia). Regarding Putin and Trump, I am not systematically "pro" or "anti", it depends on each issue. I believe the Dems should go back to the White House, and explain their border security plans, including physical barriers (for which they voted on January 3), and try to convince their president, and negotiate around that.
They've already done that. Unless the Dems agree to $5.6 Billion to be used for his Wall/Fence/Peaches Trump refuses to negotiate and walks out. Negotiation is a two way street and Trump is stuck on a one way dead end.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 09:18 PM   #1496
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
There is no doubt that these bots are still very active on the internet. I rather suspect we have at least one on ISF.
I hope the mods can see that kind of activity and will ban a bot like they ban sock puppets. Maybe someone with more tech knowledge can enlighten me.
Old 12th January 2019, 09:24 PM   #1497
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I would say I am against brutal and arrogant imperialism by any nation (but I see more of that coming from the U.S. than from Russia).
So the Ukraine and Crimea? Meh.

Regarding Putin and Trump, I am not systematically "pro" or "anti", it depends on each issue.
That's not exactly how your pro-Trump posts read.

I believe the Dems should go back to the White House, and explain their border security plans, including physical barriers (for which they voted on January 3), and try to convince their president, and negotiate around that.
Yeah right.

So you missed the whole pathologic narcissism thread? And you haven't noticed the whole Trump behavior despite the fact it's been blatantly in your's and everyone else's faces for the last two years?
Old 12th January 2019, 09:51 PM   #1498
Michel H
Graduate Poster

So the Ukraine and Crimea? Meh.

Yeah right.

So you missed the whole pathologic narcissism thread? And you haven't noticed the whole Trump behavior despite the fact it's been blatantly in your's and everyone else's faces for the last two years?
Quote:
So the Ukraine and Crimea? Meh
I don't see much Russian imperialism there. Crimeans have a right to democracy, just like you, me, or anybody else.
Quote:
I am actually not pro-Trump at all (generally), but I think he may deserve support on some issues. His recent tweet:
Quote:
... I do have a plan on the Shutdown. But to understand that plan you would have to understand the fact that I won the election, and I promised safety and security for the American people. Part of that promise was a Wall at the Southern Border. Elections have consequences!

We have a massive Humanitarian Crisis at our Southern Border. We will be out for a long time unless the Democrats come back from their “vacations” and get back to work. I am in the White House ready to sign!
is actually not stupid, in my opinion.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:03 PM   #1499
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't see much Russian imperialism there. Crimeans have a right to democracy, just like you, me, or anybody else.

I am actually not pro-Trump at all (generally), but I think he may deserve support on some issues. His recent tweet:

You didn't properly attribute that last quote but no matter, there's really not much to reply to in your post. Your words are belied by your past words.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:04 PM   #1500
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
They've already done that. Unless the Dems agree to $5.6 Billion to be used for his Wall/Fence/Peaches Trump refuses to negotiate and walks out. Negotiation is a two way street and Trump is stuck on a one way dead end.
No, I don't think Trump insists so much on the $5.6 billion figure (if you pay attention to his tweets and statements). What he insists very much on, it's on physical barriers on the Southern border. Read for example (again) his January 9 tweet:
Quote:
Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!
Just a high-tech fence could be considered a "steel barrier" (it's neither a paper nor a wooden barrier!). The Dems are not against physical barriers since they have voted for them on January 3. So, I think there is room for negotiation.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:07 PM   #1501
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No, I don't think Trump insists so much on the $5.6 billion figure (if you pay attention to his tweets and statements). What he insists very much on, it's on physical barriers on the Southern border. Read for example (again) his January 9 tweet:

Just a high-tech fence could be considered a "steel barrier" (it's neither a paper nor a wooden barrier!). The Dems are not against physical barriers since they have voted for them on January 3. So, I think there is room for negotiation.
Your post suggests you are in LaLa land.

Pay attention to Trump? Pfffttt. As if the man ever Tweets or pronounces anything coherent.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:15 PM   #1502
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Michael, you have been tricked by Trump's vagueness: he will throw out absolutely everything once, so that people who wish to be"fair and balanced" can find something they agree with.
But it's a question of actions, not words that matters when it comes to Trump or Putin.

That is why Dems no longer deal with Trump proposals unless they are in writing.
Neither should you.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:15 PM   #1503
Michel H
Graduate Poster

You didn't properly attribute that last quote
??
Who is the author of the tweet(s):
Quote:
... I do have a plan on the Shutdown. But to understand that plan you would have to understand the fact that I won the election, and I promised safety and security for the American people. Part of that promise was a Wall at the Southern Border. Elections have consequences!

We have a massive Humanitarian Crisis at our Southern Border. We will be out for a long time unless the Democrats come back from their “vacations” and get back to work. I am in the White House ready to sign!
then?
Obama??
(https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump?lang=fr )
Old 12th January 2019, 10:25 PM   #1504
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Michael, you have been tricked by Trump's vagueness: he will throw out absolutely everything once, so that people who wish to be"fair and balanced" can find something they agree with.
But it's a question of actions, not words that matters when it comes to Trump or Putin.

That is why Dems no longer deal with Trump proposals unless they are in writing.
Neither should you.
I don't buy the "Trump is so evil" argument. And I think that those who constantly use that kind of argument should perhaps ask themselves the question whether they are not evil themselves (and perhaps far more than Trump). Once again, I find his recent tweet(s):
Quote:

intelligent, and "normal". I reject anti-Trump hysteria, and I fully intend to continue to do so.

Also, you should keep in mind that Trump is not alone, he is "working" with a team (advisors, the vice-president, GOP senators ...). This is an insurance policy against "full madness".

Last edited by Michel H; 12th January 2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:29 PM   #1505
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Ok, don't believe that Trump is evil (against evidence).
Just accept that he is unreliable and incompetent and hasn't hired competent people to run the government.
In any case, you need something in writing before you can judge what his actual intentions are beyond obfuscation.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:34 PM   #1506
Minoosh
Philosopher

They're against holding the federal government hostage for Trump's vanity project. If they could get enough in return maybe negotiations could be worthwhile. So I'm thinking Dreamers, and allowing many families to stay (with guilty pleas to illegal entry; a significant fine; fingerprinting, probation, etc.) and getting workplace enforcement. Establishing that asylum seekers have a right to a hearing and so on.

I explained that nothing comprehensive ever happens - it's just "give us more fence, period." We did that, 12 years ago in what GWB called a "start" on needed reform. The Republican House is gone; the Dems are in a pretty strong position, even the GOP Senate might be in the mood for a grand bargain and Trump might not even care.

I'm kind of tired, not really sure what I propose is practically feasible but I don't see why not. It's maybe too ambitious to try to put it all on the table to end the shutdown, but it's the kind of deal-making I would like to see. Fences were never supposed to be the entire solution; that was appeasement to an intransigent GOP House.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 10:40 PM   #1507
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You've stated this opinion many times and a number of posters have stated cogent and reasonable reasons why this is a bad idea. I wonder why you keep don't take those comments into consideration.
Because I think they are wrong.

The shutdown is going to cost a lot in monetary terms and also the further destabilization it causes to the political system.

Who cares if Trump gets a win? Is this a playground dispute? He will lose anyway when it turns out it doesn't achieve anything.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 10:40 PM   #1508
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That's dated to just over 10 years ago.
Thanks, I did not catch that.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 10:43 PM   #1509
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Not actually stupid? Did you miss this bit?

"unless the Democrats come back from their “vacations” and get back to work."

Do you really think that the Democrats who were recently sworn in as members of Congress are still "on vacation"? This is a perfect example of Trump trying to re-write reality in favour of his own narrative, and it is spectacularly stupid. They've been working, and have passed bills to re-open the government, they're not on ******* vacation, no matter what this idiot says.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:49 PM   #1510
Michel H
Graduate Poster

They're against holding the federal government hostage for Trump's vanity project. If they could get enough in return maybe negotiations could be worthwhile. So I'm thinking Dreamers, and allowing many families to stay (with guilty pleas to illegal entry; a significant fine; fingerprinting, probation, etc.) and getting workplace enforcement. Establishing that asylum seekers have a right to a hearing and so on.

I explained that nothing comprehensive ever happens - it's just "give us more fence, period." We did that, 12 years ago in what GWB called a "start" on needed reform. The Republican House is gone; the Dems are in a pretty strong position, even the GOP Senate might be in the mood for a grand bargain and Trump might not even care.

I'm kind of tired, not really sure what I propose is practically feasible but I don't see why not. It's maybe too ambitious to try to put it all on the table to end the shutdown, but it's the kind of deal-making I would like to see. Fences were never supposed to be the entire solution; that was appeasement to an intransigent GOP House.
Quote:
They're against holding the federal government hostage for Trump's vanity project.
The Dems could explain politely that they refuse expensive concrete walls, and Trump would pay attention.
Quote:
If they could get enough in return maybe negotiations could be worthwhile. So I'm thinking Dreamers, and allowing many families to stay (with guilty pleas to illegal entry; a significant fine; fingerprinting, probation, etc.) and getting workplace enforcement. Establishing that asylum seekers have a right to a hearing and so on.
All of this sounds like interesting ideas. It would be the Dems' job to raise these issues with their president. But it would be immoral for the Dems to do nothing, thinking that a long shutdown is good for them, because many Americans blame the shutdown on Trump. If this is their plan, I think this is very despicable.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:50 PM   #1511
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Because I think they are wrong.

The shutdown is going to cost a lot in monetary terms and also the further destabilization it causes to the political system.

Who cares if Trump gets a win? Is this a playground dispute? He will lose anyway when it turns out it doesn't achieve anything.
I could see it as an extension of the 2006 Secure Fences act. But Dems need more concessions on immigration policy moving forward. Even some GOP senators might buy in to such a strategy.

But I'm repeating myself, so I'll stop.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:54 PM   #1512
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I could see it as an extension of the 2006 Secure Fences act. But Dems need more concessions on immigration policy moving forward. Even some GOP senators might buy in to such a strategy.

But I'm repeating myself, so I'll stop.
Just come up with a deal and pretend to Trump that he made it. That's how everyone feels with him currently anyway.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 10:54 PM   #1513
Minoosh
Philosopher

All of this sounds like interesting ideas. It would be the Dems' job to raise these issues with their president. But it would be immoral for the Dems to do nothing, thinking that a long shutdown is good for them, because many Americans blame the shutdown on Trump. If this is their plan, I think this is very despicable.
It's not despicable. They want to reopen the government too. But if they can get concessions that make for better legislation, it might be worth prolonging the shutdown for another week or so.

ETA: Trump deserves no benefit of the doubt. Ending the shutdown to just appease a bully is bad for the country. It may not look that way from Belgium but it's pretty obvious here.

Last edited by Minoosh; 12th January 2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: minor reworking
Old 12th January 2019, 11:01 PM   #1514
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Not actually stupid? Did you miss this bit?

"unless the Democrats come back from their “vacations” and get back to work."

Do you really think that the Democrats who were recently sworn in as members of Congress are still "on vacation"? This is a perfect example of Trump trying to re-write reality in favour of his own narrative, and it is spectacularly stupid. They've been working, and have passed bills to re-open the government, they're not on ******* vacation, no matter what this idiot says.
I think the Dems are not doing their job, because they are not coming back to the White House to talk with the legal and elected president Donald J. Trump, the 45th and current president of the United States. They should explain their plans for physical barriers (they voted and approved this themselves) and negotiate about various measures related to the immigration issue, and report to the people. Trump tweeted recently:
Quote:
I am in the White House waiting for ... Chuck and Nancy to call so we can start helping our Country both at the Border and from within!
(https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump?lang=fr )
Frankly, if the Dems refuse to talk and negotiate with their elected president, I wonder why they are still getting paid.
Old 12th January 2019, 11:08 PM   #1515
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Frankly, if the Dems refuse to talk and negotiate with their elected president, I wonder why they are still getting paid.
Even babysitters qualify for a minimum wage.
Old 12th January 2019, 11:10 PM   #1516
Michel H
Graduate Poster

It's not despicable. They want to reopen the government too. But if they can get concessions that make for better legislation, it might be worth prolonging the shutdown for another week or so.

ETA: Trump deserves no benefit of the doubt. Ending the shutdown to just appease a bully is bad for the country. It may not look that way from Belgium but it's pretty obvious here.
Quote:
it might be worth prolonging the shutdown for another week or so
No, I don't think this shutdown is a good thing. And, when a disaster strikes a country which is so large and important as the U.S., it can have bad repercussions in Belgium too (suppose airports have to be closed for example). Btw, I have lived, worked and paid taxes in the U.S. for about four years.
Old 12th January 2019, 11:12 PM   #1517
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

For both the situation with Trump and this thread itself I have the same advice: don't engage with trolls.
Old 12th January 2019, 11:19 PM   #1518
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I think the Dems are not doing their job, because they are not coming back to the White House to talk with the legal and elected president Donald J. Trump, the 45th and current president of the United States. They should explain their plans for physical barriers (they voted and approved this themselves) and negotiate about various measures related to the immigration issue, and report to the people.

They have explained that. Repeatedly. But you can't explain anything to Trump because he's a petulant ass who thinks he knows more than anyone about everything, and simply refuses to listen to anyone who tries to explain anything to him.

His own ******* staff can't get him to listen to them when they disagree with him, what the **** makes you think he'd listen to the opposition party?

Have you read Bob Woodward's book about the Trump Whitehouse? If not, you should, because even with Woodward providing a narrative entirely informed by the input of the people who have worked with and supported Trump the last two years, it's still clear that Trump simply never listens to anyone who isn't an ass-kissing sycophant who agrees with everything Trump says.
Old 12th January 2019, 11:30 PM   #1519
Bob001
Philosopher

It just keeps getting worse:
Quote:
President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladi*mir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...?noredirect=on

We are left to wonder what Trump needed to conceal from his own Secretary of State and his own national security advisor.

Last edited by Bob001; 12th January 2019 at 11:33 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 11:31 PM   #1520
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
They have explained that. Repeatedly.
Where? You did not give a link. I am always glad to learn something new (and important).
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics