ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Cold War history , Robert Oppenheimer

Old 29th December 2017, 09:19 PM   #1
Mondial
Critical Thinker

Robert Oppenheimer:Was the Manhattan Project Scientist A Traitor ?

Nuclear physicist Robert Oppenheimer has been accused of treachery to the USA by betraying atom bomb secrets to the Soviet Union. His supporters deny this. An article by John Wear which examines the claims against Oppenheimer -
https://wearswar.wordpress.com/2017/...aying-america/
Mondial is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 11:24 PM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So someone's blog? I did not click on it, this thread seems a bit far-fetched.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 11:29 PM   #3
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Why? Oppenheimer did have his security clearance revoked.
Old 29th December 2017, 11:30 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Who give a **** about this at this point in time?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 11:33 PM   #5
Kid Eager
Philosopher

The author of the blog appears to have written the article with the intention of arriving at a conclusion of yes. He cites valid references, but draws conclusions that aren’t quite aligned with the evidence he cites.

Oppenheimer was a bit of an ******** as a person, but also a brilliant physicist and scientist in general. His trouble with boundaries and implications of personal actions was a recurring thread in his life right on through the Red Scare era and after
Old 30th December 2017, 12:13 AM   #6
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Who give a **** about this at this point in time?
You cared enough to reply to the thread.

I read it because Oppenheimer has been called the greatest American chemist ever (he had dual PhDs), so it's a professional interest.
Old 30th December 2017, 12:44 AM   #7
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2015/...dacted-part-i/
http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2015/...acted-part-ii/

Here's a writeup on the "lost transcripts" of Oppenheimer's security hearings about the allegations by Alex Wellerstein, my go-to source for most matters concerning nuclear history.

Other posts of interest:
http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2015/...f-oppenheimer/ - The Doubts of Oppenheimer
http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2014/...enheimer-gita/ - Oppenheimer and the Bhagavad-Gita (context for the famous "Now, I am become death..." quote)
Old 1st January 2018, 03:46 AM   #8
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

By a kangaroo court in the paranoid fifties.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 03:54 AM   #9
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
By a kangaroo court in the paranoid fifties.
From what I read on the links above, there were a few elements:

1. Oppenheimer had been approached with a request to leak information to the Russians, allegedly and by all appearances refusing to do this in no uncertain terms.
2. He made the mistake of reporting this while at the same time hiding the identity of the person who came to him, feeling that he was innocent. He made some stupid excuses for this that came to be held against him in the "character court".
3. He was more in favour of smaller, tactical fission bombs than thermonuclear bomb (yes, Oppenheimer was a hawk), which caused conflict with the team and military and plenty of animosity in the testimonies against him.

Last edited by TubbaBlubba; 1st January 2018 at 03:55 AM.
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 04:29 AM   #10
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
From what I read on the links above, there were a few elements:

1. Oppenheimer had been approached with a request to leak information to the Russians, allegedly and by all appearances refusing to do this in no uncertain terms.
2. He made the mistake of reporting this while at the same time hiding the identity of the person who came to him, feeling that he was innocent. He made some stupid excuses for this that came to be held against him in the "character court".
3. He was more in favour of smaller, tactical fission bombs than thermonuclear bomb (yes, Oppenheimer was a hawk), which caused conflict with the team and military and plenty of animosity in the testimonies against him.
The full record is that he was approached by a communist buddy who said he had ways of getting information to the Soviets. It's not clear but apparently Oppenheimer reported it but not for something like six to eight months. I hadn't heard the bit about him refusing to name names because the name was known by the time the hearings came along.

There was more than the anti-commie McCarthy era paranoia, true. He made enemies in the Pentagon and administration because he was against thermonuclear weapons as he saw them almost solely as being used against civilian populations. He'd also pissed off a couple of bureaucrats in the AEC of the time.

I think, ironically, his contract was up a month later and he would've given up his security clearance, anyway. (It should be noted that he also had support from at least one general - the entire military were evidently not paranoid frothing lunatics.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 08:49 PM   #11
Hans
Philosopher

...a fan boys blog too

Quote:
Germany’s War by John Wear refutes this characterization of Germany, bringing history into accord with the facts. Germany’s War documents that the Allied leaders of the Soviet Union, Great Britain and the United States were primarily responsible for starting and prolonging World War II-costing million of lives. Far from being the conqueror of Europe, Adolf Hitler saved it from Stalin.
Plus all the usual stuff against the holocaust

Last edited by Hans; 1st January 2018 at 08:56 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 09:09 PM   #12
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
...a fan boys blog too

Plus all the usual stuff against the holocaust
So much for objectivity from that source.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:28 PM   #13
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

You cared enough to reply to the thread.

I read it because Oppenheimer has been called the greatest American chemist ever (he had dual PhDs), so it's a professional interest.
I am a chemist, and I have never heard anyone ever refer to Oppenheimer as a great chemist, much less "the greatest American chemist ever."

Then again, I don't hang around with a lot of nuclear chemists. I might buy Oppenheimer as the greatest nuclear chemist of all time, but that's a narrow field.

As a chemist, he was a great physicist.

For my money, Kistiakovski was among the greatest chemists on the Manhattan Project, although there were a lot of great ones involved. Kisty knew his explosives.
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:30 PM   #14
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I am a chemist, and I have never heard anyone ever refer to Oppenheimer as a great chemist, much less "the greatest American chemist ever."[...]
That doesn't contradict what I said.
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:42 PM   #15
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Sure you didn't mean Pauling as the greatest chemist ever? In his collaboration with Oppenheimer he pretty much covered the chemistry.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:57 PM   #16
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Sure you didn't mean Pauling as the greatest chemist ever? In his collaboration with Oppenheimer he pretty much covered the chemistry.
I didn't say Oppenheimer was the best American chemist. I said he had been called that. Specifically, by the chairman of my chemistry department. We didn't get a chance to ask him why he thought that.

The consensus in my chemistry department was that Pauling was brilliant, but went over the line with regards to vitamin c.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:40 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm amused that in a thread about Manhattan Project scientists, vitamin C is what crosses the line.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 02:40 PM   #18
autumn1971
Master Poster

Oppie also angered Teller by speaking against the h-bomb. That aroused Teller's anti-communist paranoia, (earned and cemented by the Soviet takeover of Hungary,) and Teller's mostly unfounded but strongly worded concerns at Oppie's hearing damned him.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard

Last edited by autumn1971; 4th January 2018 at 02:44 PM.
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 10:42 PM   #19
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

It seems that Oppenheimer changed his mind and supported the H-bomb after he came to believe that the Soviets were working on one.
Old 7th January 2018, 06:41 AM   #20
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Mondial - continually proving Betteridge's law.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2018, 11:07 PM   #21
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yep, guys, I think all we need to know is...

Robert Oppenheimer was a Jew.
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
Therefore Hitler was right.

Nazi Logic 101.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 04:33 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yep, guys, I think all we need to know is...

Robert Oppenheimer was a Jew.
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
Therefore Hitler was right.

Nazi Logic 101.
That sums it up quite nicely.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2018, 02:22 PM   #23
Mondial
Critical Thinker

Oppenheimer betrayed America out of ideological conviction in other words his support for Soviet communism and Stalin. He didn't do it for the money.

One traitor to the USA who did do it for the money was Congressman Samuel Dickstein. His Soviet handlers gave him the code name "Crook" -
https://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10738
Mondial is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2018, 02:42 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mondial View Post
Oppenheimer betrayed America out of ideological conviction in other words his support for Soviet communism and Stalin. He didn't do it for the money.

One traitor to the USA who did do it for the money was Congressman Samuel Dickstein. His Soviet handlers gave him the code name "Crook" -
Want me to trot out a number of Americans who betrayed for their country for Nazi Germany?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2018, 03:14 PM   #25
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mondial View Post

Your first link is the same link from December 2017. Oppenheimer was not a Soviet Agent.

Samual Dickstein? Cute. Is he related to Dick Bonerstein?

Your second link just quotes conservapedia. Never rely on conservapedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel...n_(congressman)

Just for fun:

https://wearswarts.wordpress.com/
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts