ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th April 2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Should we sell off government cheese?

While shopping I've noticed difficulty in getting pizza ingredients.
And, I start seeing articles how various pizza places were hiring.
I think Dominoes added over 10,000 and pizza hut added over
30,000 employees. Why not sell off the government cheese?

P. S. Why not sell off the useless gold as well?
Old 24th April 2020, 11:29 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If this is a humor thread, please move it to Humor.

If this is a serious thread:

What government cheese?

What useless gold?

Who's "we"?

Who's the buyer supposed to be?

How will this help anything?

Why is this a political question instead of an economic question?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What government cheese?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

It's a real thing, but we don't really stockpile it anymore, so we can't sell it off.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Belle46
New Blood

I wish they would sell it. It's some very good cheese!
Belle46 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 11:58 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

It's a real thing, but we don't really stockpile it anymore, so we can't sell it off.
Yup. Hence my questions.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 12:36 PM   #6
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

If it's the increase in pizza sales that prompts this plan, shouldn't we first establish if Government Cheese even works on pizza?

If it be so, then this would certainly be a boon to the Pizza Industry. I worked in pizza back in high school, and one thing a lot of people don't know: the cheese is the most expensive part. It costs more than all the other ingredients combined. Which is why pizza places will give you just about anything extra you want on your pizza except cheese. Double cheese costs real money! And it's why the discount pizza places are always as close to cheese-free as they can pull off.

Our restaurant routinely tossed large amounts of unused vegetables and pizza dough at the end of every day, but they monitored cheese usage very closely.
Old 24th April 2020, 12:58 PM   #7
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I don't get the point of the post. Government cheese certainly exists, or at least it used to. I once long ago worked for a nonprofit outfit that received some government goods of that sort, including oatmeal and cheese. The cheese was decent. I practically lived on the quick oats, which can be eaten raw.

But why should the government sell off the cheese it now gives away to the needy? The pizza industry has done pretty well in the crisis, because unlike most other restaurant businesses, they have always been geared up for takeout service. But is there some evidence that they are running out of cheese, or that they can't afford to buy it?

Pizza has gone up in price over the years but the last time I bought a pizza (curbside delivery, call and the person puts it out on a table and runs away), it still had plenty of cheese on it.

e.t.a. to the question above, the government cheese I saw was basically the same as sliced sandwich cheese, either white or orange. OK for that ind of thing, and you could put in macaroni and whatnot, but I don't think it would work very well on a pizza. At least not a good one.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 24th April 2020 at 01:00 PM.
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 06:30 PM   #8
Myriad
Hyperthetical

If the government has off cheese, they might as well sell it. But who would buy off cheese from the government, or from anyone?
Old 24th April 2020, 07:41 PM   #9
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Deleted
Old 24th April 2020, 07:50 PM   #10
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
P. S. Why not sell off the useless gold as well?
Can you eat it? Does it stop the virus?

I'll take it, but it will cost you. Gold is heavy!
Old 25th April 2020, 03:41 AM   #11
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
... but I don't think it would work very well on a pizza. At least not a good one.

So, Domino's then?
Old 25th April 2020, 04:28 AM   #12
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Does it stop the virus?
Yes, but not as well as a bleach given intravenously.
Old 25th April 2020, 05:20 AM   #13
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps a nice fondue of government cheese and bleach? Nummy.....

Years ago, our aunt was getting various “assistance” programs from the state of Illinois, and she would get that commodity cheese in big blocks weighing several pounds.
She gave us one..... It was pretty decent standard cheddar, and we’d shave it up to make macaroni and cheese and such..... Didn’t take long to get really tired of it.....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:33 AM   #14
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I worked in pizza back in high school, and one thing a lot of people don't know: the cheese is the most expensive part. It costs more than all the other ingredients combined. Which is why pizza places will give you just about anything extra you want on your pizza except cheese. Double cheese costs real money! And it's why the discount pizza places are always as close to cheese-free as they can pull off.

Our restaurant routinely tossed large amounts of unused vegetables and pizza dough at the end of every day, but they monitored cheese usage very closely.
Cheesus!

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 25th April 2020 at 07:34 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:36 AM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I thought we were stockpiling cheese against the eventual return of Cheesus Christ? When he comes back whichever nation has the most cheese will receive his favor. We can't let France win this!

eta: damn, ninja'd!
Old 26th April 2020, 09:23 AM   #16
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Perhaps a nice fondue of government cheese and bleach? Nummy.....

Years ago, our aunt was getting various “assistance” programs from the state of Illinois, and she would get that commodity cheese in big blocks weighing several pounds.
She gave us one..... It was pretty decent standard cheddar, and we’d shave it up to make macaroni and cheese and such..... Didn’t take long to get really tired of it.....
I remember when I was very young we had to cut the block in half because it wouldn't fit in our deli drawer.
Old 26th April 2020, 10:04 AM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

We were stockpiling cheese, but President Dave ate it all and forgot to restock. Now President Stillson is on the hook for a cheese shortage.
Old 26th April 2020, 06:54 PM   #18
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
We were stockpiling cheese, but President Dave ate it all and forgot to restock. Now President Stillson is on the hook for a cheese shortage.
I once ate a block of cheese *this big*.
Old 26th April 2020, 07:17 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I once ate a block of cheese *this big*.

Followed by a bottle of Metamucil.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 08:38 AM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Once they pass it all out, perhaps they can figure out how to make more out of cheap oil.

In all seriousness, I had assumed that government cheese resulting from milk subsidies was probably a thing of the past!
Old 28th April 2020, 12:40 PM   #21
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
If the government has off cheese, they might as well sell it. But who would buy off cheese from the government, or from anyone?
The government bought it as a price support, and put it in warehouses waiting for nothing except to go bad. In the early 1980s people frownie-faced the waste, so government gave it out, and people got in line, as it wasn't really means tested, which lead to funny images of Caddies in line to get some.

Anyway, handing it to the poor was nice, but at least partially defeated the effort as a price support as at least some of the poor must have reduced cheese purchases.

So selling it off would recoup some money for the government, but would defeat the purpose of a price support even more.

Btw today 80% of farm price support money flows through the food stamp program nowadays, cutting out the middleman of redistribution.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 28th April 2020 at 12:54 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2020, 09:15 AM   #22
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
So selling it off would recoup some money for the government, but would defeat the purpose of a price support even more.

But on the plus side, "Defeating the purpose" seems to be the guiding philosophy behind the actions of most of the GOP these days.
Old 1st May 2020, 09:06 AM   #23
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Is the OP a poem of some kind?
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 09:33 AM   #24
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Is the OP a poem of some kind?
If so it's not a very gouda one.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 09:46 AM   #25
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

If so it's not a very gouda one.
Are you saying there are some holes in it?

These jokes are so bad they make me bleu. But I've heard that bad cheese jokes are a cottage industry.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:02 AM   #26
CORed
Philosopher

I don't get the point of the post. Government cheese certainly exists, or at least it used to. I once long ago worked for a nonprofit outfit that received some government goods of that sort, including oatmeal and cheese. The cheese was decent. I practically lived on the quick oats, which can be eaten raw.

But why should the government sell off the cheese it now gives away to the needy? The pizza industry has done pretty well in the crisis, because unlike most other restaurant businesses, they have always been geared up for takeout service. But is there some evidence that they are running out of cheese, or that they can't afford to buy it?

Pizza has gone up in price over the years but the last time I bought a pizza (curbside delivery, call and the person puts it out on a table and runs away), it still had plenty of cheese on it.

e.t.a. to the question above, the government cheese I saw was basically the same as sliced sandwich cheese, either white or orange. OK for that ind of thing, and you could put in macaroni and whatnot, but I don't think it would work very well on a pizza. At least not a good one.
I suspect that the "pizza" served in school cafeterias -- and my experience with this is several decades old -- might have been made with government cheese. This stuff did bear a slight resemblance to actual pizza; it had a bread crust, sauce, cheese, and meat on it, but it was cooked on rectangular baking sheets and cut into rectangular slices, and was made with a yellow, cheddar-like cheese. The meat was ground beef, not sausage and definitely not pepperoni. The sauce was bland, with little or no seasoning. It might have been tomato paste straight out of the can. In spite of these shortcomings, it was probably the most popular item served in those school lunches. It probably was one of the best things they served, because almost everything else was truly awful. This "pizza" didn't taste bad at all, mind you, but it didn't really taste much like, or nearly as good as, real pizza.

ETA: I seriously doubt that a commercial pizza restaurant could stay in business serving that stuff. I don't think anybody would buy it unless they sold it at a price too low to be profitable.

Last edited by CORed; 1st May 2020 at 10:06 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 10:32 AM   #27
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I suspect that the "pizza" served in school cafeterias -- and my experience with this is several decades old -- might have been made with government cheese. This stuff did bear a slight resemblance to actual pizza; it had a bread crust, sauce, cheese, and meat on it, but it was cooked on rectangular baking sheets and cut into rectangular slices, and was made with a yellow, cheddar-like cheese. The meat was ground beef, not sausage and definitely not pepperoni. The sauce was bland, with little or no seasoning. It might have been tomato paste straight out of the can. In spite of these shortcomings, it was probably the most popular item served in those school lunches. It probably was one of the best things they served, because almost everything else was truly awful. This "pizza" didn't taste bad at all, mind you, but it didn't really taste much like, or nearly as good as, real pizza.

ETA: I seriously doubt that a commercial pizza restaurant could stay in business serving that stuff. I don't think anybody would buy it unless they sold it at a price too low to be profitable.
Wow, yours had meat? Fan-cay.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 10:43 AM   #28
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Wow, yours had meat? Fan-cay.
I was eating school lunches back in the '60's and '70's mind you. It was generally believed then that meat was "good for you" and an essential part of a "balanced diet". Parents would likely have stormed the school with pitchforks if they found out their children had been served a meatless meal. Now the vegetarians and vegans would riot if their children were not offered a meatless option.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 10:45 AM   #29
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I first experienced public school pizza in third grade, which would have been the mid 80s. I looked around at the other kids apparently enthused about it, and that's when I first realized that children are very stupid.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics