ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th April 2020, 01:44 PM   #41
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Quote:
Even as someone who wants to see higher oil prices as a means to fighting climate change I find this shocking.
it wouldnt, people would just pay more
Not necessarily.

For consumers, a short term increase in oil (and gasoline) prices might cause individuals to change their personal plans (such as deciding not to travel long distances for vacations). A long term price increase may encourage people to purchase more fuel efficient cars.

For businesses, an increase in oil prices will make certain green alternatives (such as solar or wind for electrical generation, or biofuels for other uses) more competitive.

Overall, people may pay more for their energy usage, but, that would be partially or fully offset by savings in having to deal with global warming.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2020, 02:44 PM   #42
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Oil prices have gone negative. Another success for Trump. -$40 last I checked.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2020, 03:24 PM   #43
jrhowell
Muse

Anyone who can invent a process to turn oil into toilet paper will become wealthy beyond their wildest dreams!
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2020, 03:27 PM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
Anyone who can invent a process to turn oil into toilet paper will become wealthy beyond their wildest dreams!
I have exactly such a process. It requires oil and recycled paper pulp.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2020, 03:31 PM   #45
jrhowell
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I have exactly such a process. It requires oil and recycled paper pulp.
Great! Now the handling of the virus and oil make sense. That was Trump’s master plan all along.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 11:23 AM   #46
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Oil prices have gone negative. Another success for Trump. -$40 last I checked.

Wait a minute?

I thought I saw a headline that put the price at $100 a barrel.
Ahem. Didn't read the article.

Oh man, Trump could fill the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to the
top with 160 billion barrels of oil and walk away really, really rich.
Old 24th April 2020, 12:01 PM   #47
applecorped
Banned

the opposite is happening from what they OP predicted

shocking
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 12:39 PM   #48
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
Great! Now the handling of the virus and oil make sense. That was Trump’s master plan all along.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

I was talking about a process that uses energy from burning oil to recycle paper pulp into toilet paper.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 12:39 PM   #49
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
the opposite is happening from what they OP predicted

shocking

What's so shocking about it? Trump failing to achieve the increase in oil prices he needed to bail out the US oil industry is entirely unsurprising. He's failed at quite a few things, you know.
Old 24th April 2020, 12:48 PM   #50
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Wait a minute?

I thought I saw a headline that put the price at $100 a barrel.
Ahem. Didn't read the article.

Oh man, Trump could fill the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to the
top with 160 billion barrels of oil and walk away really, really rich.
To be fair, at negative prices so could you. Please get started right away.
Old 24th April 2020, 08:25 PM   #51
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I suspect he'd have slightly more difficulty getting access to them, though.
Old 27th April 2020, 09:17 AM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I suspect he'd have slightly more difficulty getting access to them, though.
Only because he'd have to elbow through the crowd of other investors looking to buy oil at negative prices.
Old 27th April 2020, 01:13 PM   #53
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Only because he'd have to elbow through the crowd of other investors looking to buy oil at negative prices.

We were talking about filling the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. I imagine it takes more than just money to gain access to the sites that make up the reserve. Since the whole point of it is to protect a strategic supply of oil for use in an emergency, it's likely kept under at least a nominal guard. I doubt they'd just let any jackass with an oil tanker pull up and start pumping.
Old 2nd May 2020, 01:04 PM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
We were talking about filling the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. I imagine it takes more than just money to gain access to the sites that make up the reserve. Since the whole point of it is to protect a strategic supply of oil for use in an emergency, it's likely kept under at least a nominal guard. I doubt they'd just let any jackass with an oil tanker pull up and start pumping.
Once he has the oil, I'm sure he could work something out. Probably just have to sign in at the guard shack.
Old 2nd May 2020, 08:08 PM   #55
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

The art of the deal.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2020, 09:39 PM   #56
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

No... I could not!

I do not have my very own Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

P. S. The most hilarious idea someone had was buying a warehouse and rolling the barrels of oil into it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics