ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 14th May 2020, 12:54 PM   #841
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Wisconsin Supreme Court strikes down state's stay-at-home order.

Republicans have been telling us that people can take personal responsibly for their own safety and do the right thing without it having to be mandated.

Well... here was the immediate response to the stay-at-home order being rescinded.

Crowded bars. No masks. No social distancing.

To the sane and responsible people on this forum who live in Wisconsin, please be safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

Our only hope at this point is that the virus hits these idiots harder than the rest of us and hopefully thins their ranks.
I noticed that a great number of that crowd appears to be in the "obese" category. Which has no relation to being a Trump supporter, of course.
Old 14th May 2020, 12:55 PM   #842
carlitos
"más divertido"

Wisconsin is #1 or #2 every time those surveys come out about which state is the most obese, so really it's just local people being out.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 09:53 PM   #843
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Apparently the COVID infections are now rising steeply in those states that did not close and/or had those "Freedumb" protests.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 10:03 PM   #844
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I scrolled comments on the ABC News Twitter post linking to their coverage of Fauci's testimony.

I stopped about 5 minutes later and had to go outside and breathe, literally shaking with anxiety.

I think I saw a handful of supportive comments, maybe about 20% of the negative posts would have a rebuttal (and maybe a quarter of them were substantive rather than just equally reactionary raging the other direction).

Carlin said it best, we are "**** outta luck and jolly well ******."
Trump is stirring up a storm and his minions want blood.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 11:27 PM   #845
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Trump is stirring up a storm and his minions want blood.

His minions have been itching for blood since they lost the Civil War. Trump is gifting them the perfect stage to set upon their fantasy comeback tour.
Old 15th May 2020, 06:51 AM   #846
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Apparently the COVID infections are now rising steeply in those states that did not close and/or had those "Freedumb" protests.
Whodathunkit.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 07:37 PM   #847
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Evidences?
Old 15th May 2020, 07:51 PM   #848
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Wisconsin Supreme Court strikes down state's stay-at-home order.

Republicans have been telling us that people can take personal responsibly for their own safety and do the right thing without it having to be mandated.

Well... here was the immediate response to the stay-at-home order being rescinded.

Crowded bars. No masks. No social distancing.

To the sane and responsible people on this forum who live in Wisconsin, please be safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

Our only hope at this point is that the virus hits these idiots harder than the rest of us and hopefully thins their ranks.
The problem is that wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer, but helps prevent others from getting it by reducing the distance the virus can be projected into the area around them. That protects the idiots not wearing masks. The idiots not wearing masks spread it farther and wider infecting even those who do wear masks. That means it's the idiots being protected and the non-idiots are not being protected. Sort of a reverse Darwin survival of the fittest: survival of the idiots.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 07:57 PM   #849
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Evidences?
It's difficult to know if the rise in reported cases is due to opening or because testing is increasing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 09:52 AM   #850
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
His minions have been itching for blood since they lost the Civil War. Trump is gifting them the perfect stage to set upon their fantasy comeback tour.
Hey, do you guys remember when Antifa was this big threat and proof that the Left is so much more violent?

Haha... I know, right?
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 09:54 AM   #851
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The problem is that wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer, but helps prevent others from getting it by reducing the distance the virus can be projected into the area around them. That protects the idiots not wearing masks. The idiots not wearing masks spread it farther and wider infecting even those who do wear masks. That means it's the idiots being protected and the non-idiots are not being protected. Sort of a reverse Darwin survival of the fittest: survival of the idiots.
I’m just hoping that the idiots will congregate together and the non-idiots will avoid them. It’s a pipe dream, I know. But when you see crap like this, hope is a scarce commodity. You take it where you can find it.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 02:46 PM   #852
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Evidences?
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's difficult to know if the rise in reported cases is due to opening or because testing is increasing.
Quote:
US lockdown protests may have spread virus widely, cellphone data suggests

Devices associated with protesters travelled up to hundreds of miles after rallies where few precautions were taken
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...cellphone-data
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 03:24 PM   #853
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
Okay, I lost the bet. I still don't believe that this is what it was made out to be and I believe the evidence is overwhelming that the models used were extremely flawed, and that the lockdowns are unnecessary and of minimal effectiveness and will harm more than they help. I also believe thousands of deaths are being attributed to Covid-19 that are due to other causes, and that the Covid-19 death rates are actually not much worse than a bad flu.

All of that being said, I lost and Roborama won, fair and square. I agreed to the terms of the bet and I lost.

I will accept my penalty in the form of whatever avatar is chosen for me for one year.
I thank whichever mod split that out of the thread it didn't belong in.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics