ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th April 2020, 11:34 AM   #161
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Somehow Acting Naval Secretary Modly managed to add infinitely more damage to the situation and completely violate miltary standards and appropriateness by demanding a ship wide speech in which he verbally assaulted the dismissed Captain as either stupid or naive and a betrayer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/m...gtype=Homepage

I cannot recall a more jaw dropping effort to undercut military discipline and respect.

Last edited by Giordano; 6th April 2020 at 11:40 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 11:37 AM   #162
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Somehow Modly managed to completely violate miltary standards and appropriateness by demanding a ship wide speech in which he verbally assaulted the dismissed Captain as likely stupid and a betrayer.

[explitive] zampolit...
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 11:40 AM   #163
plague311
Great minds think...

Somehow Modly managed to completely violate miltary standards and appropriateness by demanding a ship wide speech in which he verbally assaulted the dismissed Captain as either stupid or naive and a betrayer.

I cannot recall a more jaw dropping uncuttting of military discipline and respect.
He looks like what would happen if you put Brian Setzer in a dehydrator.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:10 PM   #164
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Acting Secretary seems to seems have been given the job because of his status as a Trump campaign donor.
He told the crew of a stricken warship their Commanding Officer, and you have to understand the DECADES of work, experience, education, and determination it takes to become the Commanding Officer of a major warship, was stupid and naive.
He told them Captain Crozier had somehow betrayed the Trump Administration, and Modly personally.
Can you imagine saying THAT to the crew of a warship whose Captain sacrificed his career for their lives?
This is the epitome of the Trump Administration, the arrogance of unqualified fools.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 6th April 2020 at 12:11 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:10 PM   #165
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Navy scretarry's behavior is unprecedented and is going to backfire on him.
He is destroying morale in the US Navy with hia antics.
Clear to the a verage sailor he cares nothing about their safery and only wants to pleade Dear Leader.
We now have Captain Queeg in charge of the US Navy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:15 PM   #166
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The Acting Secretary seems to seems have been given the job because of his status as a Trump campaign donor.
He told the crew of a stricken warship their Commanding Officer, and you have to understand the DECADES of work, experience, education, and determination it takes to become the Commanding Officer of a major warship, was stupid and naive.
He told them Captain Crozier had somehow betrayed the Trump Administration, and Modly personally.
Can you imagine saying THAT to the crew of a warship whose Captain sacrificed his career for their lives?
This is the epitome of the Trump Administration, the arrogance of unqualified fools.
He even knew that the sailors would end up hating him. He finished his speech with something pretty close to that and then capped it off with a "Go Navy". What the actual hell?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:17 PM   #167
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Acting Secretary Thomas Modly, his sum total qualification for his job seems to be his status as a Trump campaign donor.
Shades of Sir Joseph in 'HMS Pinafore"

Quote:
Stick close to your desks and never go to sea,
And you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navee!
THat song was a satire on a First Lord Of the Admiralty who had little naval experience was was givne the job as a political reward.
SOmethings never change.
Only good thing is that Mody has made Trump look bad with this, and we know what happnes to people who make Trump look bad.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:19 PM   #168
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Modly told them that he, Modly, is the real victim. They should feel sorry for him. People are saying mean things about him. That's way worse than dying of some disease.

Right out of the Trump playbook.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:26 PM   #169
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I understand that you may be angry with me for the rest of your lives. I guarantee that you won't be alone. Being angry is not your duty. Your duty is to each other, to this ship, and to the nation that built it for you to protect them.
What a dick!

Tennyson, had it right.

Yours is not to reason why, yours is to but do and die.
Into the Valley of Death.
Old 6th April 2020, 12:31 PM   #170
plague311
Great minds think...

What a dick!

Tennyson, had it right.

Yours is not to reason why, yours is to but do and die.
Into the Valley of Death.
Would you expect anything less from a Trump appointee?

Old 6th April 2020, 12:33 PM   #171
autumn1971
Illuminator

These ******* need to be killed to protect our country.

That is every republican at the state and federal level. They are traitors working with Russia to destroy the very idea of Western Democracy
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:38 PM   #172
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

From the comments on the article, I'd say the public isn't much agreeing with Modly. He comes across as another Trump sycophant whining in the same petty, "I'm the real victim here" way as his boss.

If Modly is an example of 'only the best' Trump claimed he'd surround himself with...

Last edited by Stacyhs; 6th April 2020 at 12:43 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:38 PM   #173
AnonyMoose
Muse

Looks like the Trump Circus has spread out into every other branch of the US government. How stupid does this Dolt-45 numpty think these sailors are?

With that being said, I think I'm starting to feel an eeny weeny teeny little glimmer of hope that it just might be possible for Conald Frump to lose his re-election.
Old 6th April 2020, 12:55 PM   #174
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Looks like the Trump Circus has spread out into every other branch of the US government. How stupid does this Dolt-45 numpty think these sailors are?

With that being said, I think I'm starting to feel an eeny weeny teeny little glimmer of hope that it just might be possible for Conald Frump to lose his re-election.
I'm not quite as hopeful. I'm stuck in the middle somewhere. I hope he doesn't get re-elected but I fear he will. He has a rabid base and right now the Bernie voters look like they're mostly going to go 3rd party. It sucks, but Dem vote will be split while the GOP is completely united.

Old 6th April 2020, 12:58 PM   #175
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm not quite as hopeful. I'm stuck in the middle somewhere. I hope he doesn't get re-elected but I fear he will. He has a rabid base and right now the Bernie voters look like they're mostly going to go 3rd party. It sucks, but Dem vote will be split while the GOP is completely united.
If they do, it will be a classic example of idiots cutting off their noses to spite their face.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 01:32 PM   #176
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
From the comments on the article, I'd say the public isn't much agreeing with Modly. He comes across as another Trump sycophant whining in the same petty, "I'm the real victim here" way as his boss.

If Modly is an example of 'only the best' Trump claimed he'd surround himself with...
That's not "the public", it's The Failing New York Times! Fake News!
Old 6th April 2020, 01:49 PM   #177
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

And yet they will still back the Usurper and his regime.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 01:50 PM   #178
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Would you expect anything less from a Trump appointee?
You can't expect less than nothing, and that's what you get from a Trump appointee.

I would like to hope that this is going to hurt Trump with veterans come November, but that's a long way away, and I'm sure between now and then he'll throw some sops their way to lasso them back in.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare

Last edited by shemp; 6th April 2020 at 01:52 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 01:53 PM   #179
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

As long as the GOP counts the votes, any "close" election will go to the GOP.

Old 6th April 2020, 02:38 PM   #180
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I guarantee you this;he has totally lost the trust of the sailors in the US Navy. And a military who has lost the trust of his troops is totally useless.
I would not be surprised if he is not long for the political world. He is making Trump look b ad, and the unforgivable sin in the world of Donald Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th April 2020, 02:39 PM   #181
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
As long as the GOP counts the votes, any "close" election will go to the GOP.
Which is why I keep saying get a rifle and learn how to use it.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th April 2020, 02:40 PM   #182
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If they do, it will be a classic example of idiots cutting off their noses to spite their face.
I also think there is a certain amount of "if Trump is reelected things will get so bad we will finally have the revolution " thinking here.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th April 2020, 03:42 PM   #183
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump on Captain Crozier: "It was a mistake ... it shows weakness and there's nothing weak about us now. Not anymore. We have the strongest military we've ever had. And we're not going to be showing weakness to anybody."
Old 6th April 2020, 04:05 PM   #184
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I also think there is a certain amount of "if Trump is reelected things will get so bad we will finally have the revolution " thinking here.
The problem is that so many of these idiots thought this the first time. Despite such a catastrophic failure they're doubling down.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 04:36 PM   #185
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Somehow Acting Naval Secretary Modly managed to add infinitely more damage to the situation and completely violate miltary standards and appropriateness by demanding a ship wide speech in which he verbally assaulted the dismissed Captain as either stupid or naive and a betrayer.

I cannot recall a more jaw dropping effort to undercut military discipline and respect.
what a...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th April 2020, 04:51 PM   #186
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

There is a sound recording that has been posted, of the address as it was being given - presumably recorded by a crew member, since the address was given on the ship itself via the intercom system. The recording also captures the reactions of crew members in the background at certain points during the speech. The reaction after the "too naive or too stupid" remark is particularly...particular.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 04:52 PM   #187
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
The problem is that so many of these idiots thought this the first time. Despite such a catastrophic failure they're doubling down.
Similiar idea in Nazi Germany by the hard line left"The sooner we have Hitler, the sooner we will have the revolution".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th April 2020, 04:56 PM   #188
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
There is a sound recording that has been posted, of the address as it was being given - presumably recorded by a crew member, since the address was given on the ship itself via the intercom system. The recording also captures the reactions of crew members in the background at certain points during the speech. The reaction after the "too naive or too stupid" remark is particularly...particular.
I would love to hear what the sailors said afterwards. I am sure it would display the US Sailor creavtivty with four letter words to the max.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th April 2020, 05:20 PM   #189
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I do hope the Trumptrash "acting" SECNAV pushes for a court martial. It would be a stunning rebuke in an election year if 12 Captains and Admirals acquitted him.
Old 6th April 2020, 05:25 PM   #190
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Which just begs the question of, why should it affect his career? Yrs. I get it, it's the military and they do what they do, but "that's just the way it is" should not be an acceptable answer.
Because the Secretary of the Navy is filthy Trumptrash and we all know their kind don't even know what honor is. That scum like a Trump supporter would be put in charge of loyal Americans is an obscenity.

The only thing we've heard from the Americans in the Department of the Navy or Navy leaders is that they opposed relieving the Captain of his command. It was only the Trumptrash who wanted him gone. The Americans did not.
Old 6th April 2020, 05:55 PM   #191
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. If he thought that speech was in any way a good idea, Modley is as much of a fool as his boss.
Old 6th April 2020, 06:06 PM   #192
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Because the Secretary of the Navy is filthy Trumptrash and we all know their kind don't even know what honor is. That scum like a Trump supporter would be put in charge of loyal Americans is an obscenity.

The only thing we've heard from the Americans in the Department of the Navy or Navy leaders is that they opposed relieving the Captain of his command. It was only the Trumptrash who wanted him gone. The Americans did not.
I’ve long been puzzled by how Trump has been able to find so many people of no knowledge, no experience, and no skill to appoint to important positions in government. Particularly people who were so clueless that they felt themselves to be highly appropriate, indeed enormously talented for the position. Now I think I get it. They are losers who failed their whole lives. Who saw the jobs, the positions, and the acclaim go to their betters. To the fully qualified. But now they’ve been empowered by the loser in chief and they get to sit atop and rip apart the qualified people. It’s their fervent dream over hundreds of nights brought forward to reality. Revenge.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 06:09 PM   #193
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. If he thought that speech was in any way a good idea, Modley is as much of a fool as his boss.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-n...-stupid-2020-4

Esper has to fire Modley. His comments betrayed both weakness and stupidity. Worse though, are the comments from sailors heard in the recordings. Modley has lost the trust and confidence of the department he leads. No good could come from the moron staying in his "acting" post.

Maybe that stupid little leprechaun who went to Northern Ireland needs a deputy.
Old 6th April 2020, 06:18 PM   #194
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-n...-stupid-2020-4

Esper has to fire Modley. His comments betrayed both weakness and stupidity. Worse though, are the comments from sailors heard in the recordings. Modley has lost the trust and confidence of the department he leads. No good could come from the moron staying in his "acting" post.

Maybe that stupid little leprechaun who went to Northern Ireland needs a deputy.
I'd love to see any phone video of the sailors during that speech.
Old 6th April 2020, 06:40 PM   #195
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'd love to see any phone video of the sailors during that speech.
I doubt there's much, if any video out there. "The enlisted man, though he be ignorant, he his cunning".*

*Attributed to George Washington but I have my doubts.

This dumb **** might join the long list of leaders who find out that your soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines can get you fired if they want to.
Old 6th April 2020, 06:45 PM   #196
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt there's much, if any video out there. "The enlisted man, though he be ignorant, he his cunning".*

*Attributed to George Washington but I have my doubts.

This dumb **** might join the long list of leaders who find out that your soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines can get you fired if they want to.
That's actually a compliment as "ignorant" doesn't mean stupid as so many wrongfully think. In this case, it just means illiterate or uninformed or uneducated. "The guy can't read and never went to school but he's cunning like a fox."
Old 6th April 2020, 06:47 PM   #197
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The best part was the apologetics. "It was not meant to be a public statement, and was made in private."

To 5000 men over the loudspeaker.

Pretty ironic that he used that statement to proclaim the captain was stupid or naive. Now if Modley had made that claim on a "private" Facebook page, I might be able to characterize him as naive. But given the circumstances, that's not even an option.
Old 6th April 2020, 07:30 PM   #198
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I would love to hear what the sailors said afterwards. I am sure it would display the US Sailor creavtivty with four letter words to the max.
I'm betting some new curse words were invented. Because the old ones just wouldn't cut it.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 07:47 PM   #199
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Modly apologies for remarks as key lawmakers call for his resignation https://trib.al/e7DzIIp

He's gone for sure, there's nothing Trump hate's more than admitting fault and showing weakness.

Did the man give that speech and not expect that his words would end up on TV?
Or is he naïve and stupid?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 6th April 2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 6th April 2020, 08:00 PM   #200
sackett
Philosopher

The ********* apologized already? Man, that's gutlessness like mother used to make.

Edited by jsfisher:  Edited for compliance with Rule 10 of the Membership Agreement.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil

Last edited by jsfisher; 12th April 2020 at 07:21 PM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics