ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 13th April 2020, 09:25 AM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

The Trump Presidency: Part 21

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
A lot of meat packing facilities closed.

This could suck, a lot.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21V09W
We're stocking up today after work. I generally eat a low carb, high protein diet. Not having any meats would cause huge issues.

Mod InfoContinued from this thread.

You may quote or respond to any posts in that or any previous part of this topic.
Posted By:kmortis

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by kmortis; 13th April 2020 at 10:32 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 10:29 AM   #2
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I don't think all of those 30% are in Trump's base. I've heard it expressed from people who aren't.

I think it's more just a reflection of overall ignorance, which can be found in people of all political persuasions, although it might be more prevalent in some than in others.

When presented with a poll, people hate saying, "I have no idea", so they pick an answer. That isn't even what they necessarily actually believe. They just pick one that sounds right, and if you've had a diet of news stories about the threat of biological weapons, and tv shows or other works of fiction describing biological weapons, then that particular "explanation" is in the front of your head. They have no information to contradict the theory, so it's perfectly plausible.

If I were talking to one of those people, I wouldn't be able to give them information to prove them wrong, so why shouldn't they believe it? I don't believe it myself, but if asked to justify that belief, all I could say is, "Well, it just sounds like a conspiracy theory, and those are always wrong."
That's actually a reassuring thought. So they hear the question "do you believe the virus was made in a lab", and think there's an ongoing discussion about that, and they guess yes? One can hope.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 10:34 AM   #3
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

George W. Bush in 2005: 'If we wait for a pandemic to appear, it will be too late to prepare'

Quote:
In the summer of 2005, President George W. Bush was on vacation at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, when he began flipping through an advance reading copy of a new book about the 1918 flu pandemic. He couldn't put it down.

When he returned to Washington, he called his top homeland security adviser into the Oval Office and gave her the galley of historian John M. Barry's "The Great Influenza," which told the chilling tale of the mysterious plague that "would kill more people than the outbreak of any other disease in human history."

"You've got to read this," Fran Townsend remembers the president telling her. "He said, 'Look, this happens every 100 years. We need a national strategy.'"
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/geor...-prepare/story
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 10:37 AM   #4
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Americans eat way too much meat already. Hopefully this will help us change our bad habits.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 10:43 AM   #5
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
One point eight seven million tests today; so that’s one million eight hundred and seventy thousand million tests"
Donald Trump clearly suffering from Priti Numberwang
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 10:45 AM   #6
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Americans eat way too much meat already. Hopefully this will help us change our bad habits.
I don't think that really makes a difference to many, but everyone has their own opinions.

I don't know that there are really any issues with eating meat, in general, are there? I know eating too much red meat can cause digestive problems, but I eat mostly chicken, turkey, and pork chops.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 10:49 AM   #7
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by kookbreaker
One of the replies to the twitter says it is old footage from the Ebola outbreak.
Yes. I saw that.
And that’s what made me go looking for better evidence.

The right-wing boards are exploding with all sorts of allegations against Dr. Fauci.

Our president has a backbone of overcooked pasta so I’d be surprised if Dr. F. had a federal job next Monday.

Last edited by Ladewig; 13th April 2020 at 10:57 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 10:54 AM   #8
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Originally Posted by POTUS
One point eight seven million tests today; so that’s one million eight hundred and seventy thousand million tests"
Donald Trump clearly suffering from Priti Numberwang
I think that is a reasonable number of tests in a country with a population of $350 billion.
Yes, last week, he did use dollars as a unit when talking about the US population.
Old 13th April 2020, 10:59 AM   #9
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

From the old thread:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop
Trump Tweets

Having been involved in the negotiations, to put it mildly, the number that OPEC+ is looking to cut is 20 Million Barrels a day, not the 10 Million that is generally being reported. If anything near this happens, and the World gets back to business from the Covid 19.....

....disaster, the Energy Industry will be strong again, far faster than currently anticipated. Thank you to all of those who worked with me on getting this very big business back on track, in particular Russia and Saudi Arabia.

So, let me get this straight, when your opponents decide of their own accord to stop beating up on you, that suddenly makes you "strong".

Okay, then.
Old 13th April 2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
That's actually a reassuring thought. So they hear the question "do you believe the virus was made in a lab", and think there's an ongoing discussion about that, and they guess yes? One can hope.
Or a multiple choice. Which of the following do you think is the origin of COVID19

a) lab
b) natural mutation of exising virus in humans
c) pangolins and bats
d) other
e) don't know

Nobody likes to pick e.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 11:32 AM   #11
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
We're stocking up today after work. I generally eat a low carb, high protein diet. Not having any meats would cause huge issues.

We're running into a related problem at work. We manufacture cleaning products, disinfectants and sanitizers, and a big part of our business is chemicals for cleaning equipment in food processing plants. Food plants have an established procedure for cleaning and sanitizing their equipment, but a sanitizer for use on food contact surfaces is typically only going to be tested for efficacy against the bacteria that are an issue for food plants and will only achieve log 5 reduction (99.999%). Sanitizers use a lower level of active ingredient to ensure that any residue is below the limits set as safe for human consumption, removing the need for a post-sanitizing water rinse. A product tested against viruses and which achieves full disinfection would have to be followed with a potable water rinse of all food contact surfaces, increasing the time needed for the cleaning procedures and reducing production. The higher concentration of active ingredients needed would also make the disinfectants more expensive than the sanitizers currently being used.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 01:02 PM   #12
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
We're running into a related problem at work. We manufacture cleaning products, disinfectants and sanitizers, and a big part of our business is chemicals for cleaning equipment in food processing plants. Food plants have an established procedure for cleaning and sanitizing their equipment, but a sanitizer for use on food contact surfaces is typically only going to be tested for efficacy against the bacteria that are an issue for food plants and will only achieve log 5 reduction (99.999%). Sanitizers use a lower level of active ingredient to ensure that any residue is below the limits set as safe for human consumption, removing the need for a post-sanitizing water rinse. A product tested against viruses and which achieves full disinfection would have to be followed with a potable water rinse of all food contact surfaces, increasing the time needed for the cleaning procedures and reducing production. The higher concentration of active ingredients needed would also make the disinfectants more expensive than the sanitizers currently being used.

There seems to be a broad consensus that ordinary soap kills this particular virus. That's why we're all supposed to be washing our hands for 20 seconds. Is there any reason to think commercial santizer, properly used, wouldn't have the same effect?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 01:27 PM   #13
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
There seems to be a broad consensus that ordinary soap kills this particular virus. That's why we're all supposed to be washing our hands for 20 seconds. Is there any reason to think commercial santizer, properly used, wouldn't have the same effect?

When there's a choice between

1) This product has documented efficacy data against bacteria, but should probably destroy the virus; and
2) This product has documented efficacy data against other enveloped viruses or more durable non-enveloped viruses, and is very likely to destroy the virus;

people are probably going to err on the side of caution and choose (2), particularly for locations like food plants or schools.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 01:41 PM   #14
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

First the Fake News Media said that it’s not fair for the President of the United States to be giving news conferences, but it is the only way I can reach the American People, as seen in the below poll.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...766215/photo/1

(picture of a chart)
Old 13th April 2020, 01:43 PM   #15
plague311
Great minds think...

Trump Tweets

First the Fake News Media said that it’s not fair for the President of the United States to be giving news conferences, but it is the only way I can reach the American People, as seen in the below poll.

(picture of a chart)
Such a generic poll. I wonder if that dumbass thinks that maybe people are saying they're helpful because of the professionals that speak at them? He literally thinks everything revolves around him.

Old 13th April 2020, 01:52 PM   #16
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

(picture of a chart)
I've seen no such statements from the media. What I've seen is criticism of how Trump is presenting his briefings. There's been criticism of his giving false/misleading information, of turning them into grievance rants, attacks, etc., but nothing saying it's not fair to have a news conferecence.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 01:59 PM   #17
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I've seen no such statements from the media. What I've seen is criticism of how Trump is presenting his briefings. There's been criticism of his giving false/misleading information, of turning them into grievance rants, attacks, etc., but nothing saying it's not fair to have a news conferecence.
Gaslighting. Again. STILL.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 02:05 PM   #18
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And using the pressers as campaign rallies is also wrong.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 02:05 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Gaslighting. Again. STILL.
If only Trump looked and sounded more like Charles Boyer.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 02:08 PM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Such a generic poll. I wonder if that dumbass thinks that maybe people are saying they're helpful because of the professionals that speak at them? He literally thinks everything revolves around him.
Note also the highly selective list of states polled.
Old 13th April 2020, 02:10 PM   #21
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
When there's a choice between

1) This product has documented efficacy data against bacteria, but should probably destroy the virus; and
2) This product has documented efficacy data against other enveloped viruses or more durable non-enveloped viruses, and is very likely to destroy the virus;

people are probably going to err on the side of caution and choose (2), particularly for locations like food plants or schools.
But your post seemed to imply that plants don't want to take on the additional trouble and expense of using proven anti-viral procedures. Are they biting the bullet and doing it anyway, or just using the anti-bacterial stuff and hoping for the best? Are there federal or state regulations that apply?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 02:46 PM   #22
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

This particular virus (if I understand it all correctly) has an envelope protecting it which is made of lipids. AKA fats. Soap attacks and breaks down fats, which means that the protective envelope is destroyed, and the viral material cannot survive without it unless it has reached and invaded the right kind of cell.

Soap will work against viruses and bacteria which depend on a lipid envelope. But not on ones which don't.

Conversely, sanitizers which do not break down that lipid envelope won't be particularly efficacious. But might work for others with protective envelopes which are not comprised of lipids.

In other words, not all sanitizers are created equal.

I may not have that right. I welcome correction.

Here's a link to an article which discusses the soap thing.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 02:48 PM   #23
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Impeach him!
Old 13th April 2020, 02:56 PM   #24
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Now, he's gas-lighting the american people again. It's disgusting.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:20 PM   #25
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I think that is a reasonable number of tests in a country with a population of $350 billion.
Yes, last week, he did use dollars as a unit when talking about the US population.
Ain't those the units he perceives them in?
Old 13th April 2020, 03:40 PM   #26
Armitage72
Illuminator

But your post seemed to imply that plants don't want to take on the additional trouble and expense of using proven anti-viral procedures. Are they biting the bullet and doing it anyway, or just using the anti-bacterial stuff and hoping for the best? Are there federal or state regulations that apply?

They are disinfecting. I just meant that the extra time and cost could be a contributing factor to them closing down instead. We had to revise the label of one of the sanitizers from our food sanitation line to include disinfection at a much higher use rate because our disinfectants are in a different product line that food plants normally don't buy.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:40 PM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Trump really went off on a reporter who dared asked him about his delayed response to virus warnings. Per his usual, it was 'fake news', 'bad ratings' rhetoric. I thought he was going to have a stroke. Then he went on a long spiel on everything he's done right, refusing to say he made any mistakes. Trouble is, he lies so often and so much that anything he says I disbelieve unless proved correct. He repeated much of the same old lines which have become standard for him, too, such as "we've tested more people than anyone else", "no one who needed a ventilator didn't get one" blah blah blah.
He also, once again, claimed he had the ultimate authority to reopen the country. NO. HE. DOESN'T.

ETA: When asked exactly what gives him the authority over the states he claimed he'd give them a list 'later'. uh huh.
He said, "I am in charge" over the states. The man is delusional. He thinks he can actually order states to open
schools, businesses, etc. Dumbass.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th April 2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:43 PM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

OOOhhhh the presser going on right now...

I just tuned in and CNN cut away at that moment because The PDJT began to show a propaganda film, then cut back after a few minutes, and he was yelling at a reporter. For the next several minutes, in fact. I liked seeing that the journalists are now firing back more strongly and not letting him get away with ******** (when they can interject). But he was pissed!
I can only hope that journalists get more ruthless with their questioning.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:46 PM   #29
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Wow. Trump really went off on a reporter who dared asked him about his delayed response to virus warnings. Per his usual, it was 'fake news', 'bad ratings' rhetoric. I thought he was going to have a stroke. Then he went on a long spiel on everything he's done right, refusing to say he made any mistakes. Trouble is, he lies so often and so much that anything he says I disbelieve unless proved correct. He repeated much of the same old lines which have become standard for him, too, such as "we've tested more people than anyone else", "no one who needed a ventilator didn't get one" blah blah blah.
That is one way of looking at it. Another way could be that President Trump exposed the fake news media with facts that contradicted their false narratives. Of course this way of looking at it would mean you'd have to take the time to "fact check" the facts.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 03:48 PM   #30
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
OOOhhhh the presser going on right now...

I just tuned in and CNN cut away at that moment because The PDJT began to show a propaganda film, then cut back after a few minutes, and he was yelling at a reporter. For the next several minutes, in fact. I liked seeing that the journalists are now firing back more strongly and not letting him get away with ******** (when they can interject). But he was pissed!
I can only hope that journalists get more ruthless with their questioning.
CNN edited the live feed? Wonder why?

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 03:52 PM   #31
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

"My authority is total."
Old 13th April 2020, 03:52 PM   #32
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

He also, once again, claimed he had the ultimate authority to reopen the country. NO. HE. DOESN'T.

ETA: When asked exactly what gives him the authority over the states he claimed he'd give them a list 'later'. uh huh.
He said, "I am in charge" over the states. The man is delusional. He thinks he can actually order states to open
schools, businesses, etc. Dumbass.
Sure, but it's just a set up for when things actually do open, by the state and local governments, he'll take credit for it. Problem is, some people will believe his dumbass either as having the authority or deserving of the credit.

Last edited by The Man; 13th April 2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 03:53 PM   #33
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
That is one way of looking at it. Another way could be that President Trump exposed the fake news media with facts that contradicted their false narratives. Of course this way of looking at it would mean you'd have to take the time to "fact check" the facts.

Chris B.
And that way would be absolutely wrong.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:53 PM   #34
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

CNN edited the live feed? Wonder why?

Chris B.
Because if the stupid bitch in chief wants to run a political ad, he can have the filthy Trumptrash who work on his campaign buy some airtime. CNN is there to report, not be a vehicle for the ****'s propaganda.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:57 PM   #35
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The dump bitch just said again that he inherited broken testing. What a dumbass. There was no testing for a novel virus because it's novel. The tests didn't exist because the virus hadn't been identified until three years in the into the moron's term. He's a liar and stupid one.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:58 PM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Chris B.
LOL! I suggest you do some fact checking. I fact check all the time and so does a lot of the media. Trump does not come off well.

Try looking up if Trump has the power to force governors or mayors to end the lockdown, open schools, etc. He doesn't. Go on. Do it.

Trump just said "When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's going to be. It's total, it's total."

What the hell!?
Old 13th April 2020, 04:02 PM   #37
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Watching these daily press conferences on a daily basis is bad for my mental health, but I do it anyway.

Our dear leader, in his garbled word salads, loves to constantly switch back and forth between "we" and "they." Whenever something good was done, it's "we" (meaning him.) Conversely, the negatives are attributed to "them" (Pelosi, Democratic governors, etc.)

When is he going to get the memo that "we" IS "them", and we're all in it together? This is the problem with the stupid "run the country like a business" mentality; you're only worried about your position at the end of the day.
Old 13th April 2020, 04:12 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The dump bitch just said again that he inherited broken testing. What a dumbass. There was no testing for a novel virus because it's novel. The tests didn't exist because the virus hadn't been identified until three years in the into the moron's term. He's a liar and stupid one.
What? That must be Fake News! Of course the coronavirus was known to Obama and it's HIS fault that he didn't have tests available for it! Obama left "bare shelves" for poor Trump in the national stockpile as Trump said again today.

Hey, ChrisBFRPKY...you might want to do a little 'fact checking' on that. Here, let me help:

Politifact: FALSE
Factcheck.org : FALSE
Old 13th April 2020, 04:14 PM   #39
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

“The power of the President is total.”
Old 13th April 2020, 04:15 PM   #40
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Not to mention the infomercials he tosses in for his favorite corporations.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics