ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 13th April 2020, 04:15 PM   #41
slyjoe
Graduate Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 1,905
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
LOL! I suggest you do some fact checking. I fact check all the time and so does a lot of the media. Trump does not come off well.

Try looking up if Trump has the power to force governors or mayors to end the lockdown, open schools, etc. He doesn't. Go on. Do it.

Trump just said "When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's going to be. It's total, it's total."

What the hell!?
Only if I woke up in Russia this morning.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:15 PM   #42
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 22,266
Now, watching Pence -- that's the way a press conference should be handled. Boring and non-committal.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:29 PM   #43
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,801
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
That is one way of looking at it. Another way could be that President Trump exposed the fake news media with facts that contradicted their false narratives. Of course this way of looking at it would mean you'd have to take the time to "fact check" the facts.

Chris B.
Come along with me and we'll do a little fact checking, 'kay?

Snopes:
Quote:
States Largely Have Authority Over When to Shut Down, Reopen

Q. Does the president have the authority to override state and local orders?

A. No. Under our constitutional system, states have the power and responsibility for maintaining public order and safety. As we’ve seen since the outbreak began, decisions about limiting social interactions by ordering people to shelter in place, closing businesses and shutting schools are being made by governors and local officials. Those same officials will make the call about when to ease up. Trump’s comments “are just advisory,” said John Malcolm of the Heritage Foundation.
Politico:

Quote:
Trump: It’s my decision, not governors’, to reopen country
But the law suggests the president has less power than he thinks.

The president’s reassertion of his authority runs counter to the views of legal scholars, who say the federal government lacks the power to directly order states to reopen their economies.
Lawfare:

Quote:
Can the Federal Government Override State Government Rules on Social Distancing to Promote the Economy?

No, the president cannot simply order state and local officials to change their policies
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:39 PM   #44
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,161
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Because if the stupid bitch in chief wants to run a political ad, he can have the filthy Trumptrash who work on his campaign buy some airtime. CNN is there to report, not be a vehicle for the ****'s propaganda.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
LOL! I suggest you do some fact checking. I fact check all the time and so does a lot of the media. Trump does not come off well.

Try looking up if Trump has the power to force governors or mayors to end the lockdown, open schools, etc. He doesn't. Go on. Do it.

Trump just said "When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's going to be. It's total, it's total."

What the hell!?
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What? That must be Fake News! Of course the coronavirus was known to Obama and it's HIS fault that he didn't have tests available for it! Obama left "bare shelves" for poor Trump in the national stockpile as Trump said again today.

Hey, ChrisBFRPKY...you might want to do a little 'fact checking' on that. Here, let me help:

Politifact: FALSE
Factcheck.org : FALSE
You guys must really have a thing for CNN. Geez have you even checked their ratings recently? Is this an apple or what?

Chris B.
__________________
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:40 PM   #45
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 25,225
He seems sketchy on religion too.

Quote:
We're having a religious leaders committee, you've been seeing what's going on at the churches, we're gonna to have a few committees, and then ultimately we're gonna make decisions and we're gonna make them fairly quickly and I think they're going to be the correct decisions"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:41 PM   #46
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,430
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
"My authority is total."
Good time to start a game:

Who said it - Trump or Stalin?
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:42 PM   #47
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,161
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Come along with me and we'll do a little fact checking, 'kay?

Snopes:


Politico:



Lawfare:
Perhaps you should concentrate on the travel ban from China put in place late January and go from there. Nick nacks and cherry picking won't get you where you want to be.

Chris B.
__________________
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:43 PM   #48
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,823
Everything he says sounds like a madlibs game where he just throws in words like "big", "smart", "Democrats" and "fake news".
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:43 PM   #49
slyjoe
Graduate Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 1,905
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Perhaps you should concentrate on the travel ban from China put in place late January and go from there. Nick nacks and cherry picking won't get you where you want to be.

Chris B.
It wasn't a travel ban from China. See if you can figure out why.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:44 PM   #50
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 25,225
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Perhaps you should concentrate on the travel ban from China put in place late January and go from there. Nick nacks and cherry picking won't get you where you want to be.

Chris B.
How about we concentrate on Trump declaring himself to have "total authority" and the power of the president being "total"??

He just made himself dictator.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:44 PM   #51
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 20,051
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
“The power of the President is total.”
After that statement, no Trump supporter could ever make a credible claim at patriotism or that they are loyal to the nation. This election truly is a cold civil war between Trumptrash and Americans.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:46 PM   #52
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,801
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
You guys must really have a thing for CNN. Geez have you even checked their ratings recently? Is this an apple or what?

Chris B.
Wow. You really are learning from Trump. Rather than address the actual points, you misdirect to ratings?

1. You fail to provide any evidence whatsoever that Trump has the authority to override state governors and mayors. Hmmm...what could possibly be the reason for that?

2. You fail to address that Trump's claims were found to be false by non-partisan fact finding sites.

Well done. Straight out of the Trump playbook.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:50 PM   #53
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,823
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Now, watching Pence -- that's the way a press conference should be handled. Boring and non-committal.
Trump would be wise to let Pence speak for him more often, but between the election and his own ego, he would never let that happen.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:58 PM   #54
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 21,295
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Perhaps you should concentrate on the travel ban from China put in place late January and go from there. Nick nacks and cherry picking won't get you where you want to be.

Chris B.
It's just hilarious that you would include "cherry picking" in your post.


"Perhaps you should concentrate on [the only intelligent thing that Trump did] and [ignore all the things he should have done, but didn't]."


If the travel ban was a good idea (it was), then it should have been obvious that the only effect of the travel ban would be to buy time, which he did not use.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:59 PM   #55
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 20,051
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Watching these daily press conferences on a daily basis is bad for my mental health, but I do it anyway.

Our dear leader, in his garbled word salads, loves to constantly switch back and forth between "we" and "they." Whenever something good was done, it's "we" (meaning him.) Conversely, the negatives are attributed to "them" (Pelosi, Democratic governors, etc.)

When is he going to get the memo that "we" IS "them", and we're all in it together? This is the problem with the stupid "run the country like a business" mentality; you're only worried about your position at the end of the day.
The only part I enjoy is that Trump is clearly upset that he's not getting credit for his accomplishments. I think he really believes that he's doing a good job and his frustration at not being recognized shows. It's always funny when you get to see Trump suffering.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:02 PM   #56
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 4,860
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
You guys must really have a thing for CNN. Geez have you even checked their ratings recently? Is this an apple or what?

Chris B.
You must really have a thing for dictators. “The power of the President is total.”
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:03 PM   #57
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18,923
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How about we concentrate on Trump declaring himself to have "total authority" and the power of the president being "total"??

He just made himself dictator.
I bet what happened is he was only half listening when someone was explaining unitary executive theory and was trying to recite it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:06 PM   #58
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,801
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Perhaps you should concentrate on the travel ban from China put in place late January and go from there. Nick nacks and cherry picking won't get you where you want to be.

Chris B.
Speaking of cherry picking, you do realize that is the single thing he did that made sense, don't you? What other steps did he take to address Covid 19?But he even failed at that as over 40,000 people still entered the US from China after that ban. But you fail to admit that he:

Ignored early warnings:

Quote:
A week after the first coronavirus case had been identified in the United States, and six long weeks before President Trump finally took aggressive action to confront the danger the nation was facing — a pandemic that is now forecast to take tens of thousands of American lives — Dr. Mecher was urging the upper ranks of the nation’s public health bureaucracy to wake up and prepare for the possibility of far more drastic action.

“You guys made fun of me screaming to close the schools,” he wrote to the group, which called itself “Red Dawn,” an inside joke based on the 1984 movie about a band of Americans trying to save the country after a foreign invasion. “Now I’m screaming, close the colleges and universities.”

His was hardly a lone voice. Throughout January, as Mr. Trump repeatedly played down the seriousness of the virus and focused on other issues, an array of figures inside his government — from top White House advisers to experts deep in the cabinet departments and intelligence agencies — identified the threat, sounded alarms and made clear the need for aggressive action.
Come on, Chris...show me the evidence that Trump has the legal authority to overrule governors and mayors. Show me the evidence that he 'inherited bad tests and a depleted stockpile". Show me the steps he took in Jan. and Feb. to address the pandemic other than stopping flights from China (while still allowing 40K people in).
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:09 PM   #59
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,777
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets
First the Fake News Media said that it’s not fair for the President of the United States to be giving news conferences, but it is the only way I can reach the American People, as seen in the below poll.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...766215/photo/1 (picture of a chart)
I laughed when I saw this followup tweet regarding the 'chart.'
Quote:
Ah yes, a graphic from Tony Fabrizio, the Republican operative who was questioned by Mueller's special counsel team about polling data shared with pro-Kremlin pro-Putin individuals in February of 2018. Seems legit
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:12 PM   #60
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,184
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
“The power of the President is total.”
Not over us non-Americans it isn't. **** right off, you orange prick.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:14 PM   #61
slyjoe
Graduate Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 1,905
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not over us non-Americans it isn't. **** right off, you orange prick.
Not over Americans either. I agree with the rest of your post.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:14 PM   #62
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,184
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
He seems sketchy on religion too.
Quote:
We're having a religious leaders committee, you've been seeing what's going on at the churches, we're gonna to have a few committees, and then ultimately we're gonna make decisions and we're gonna make them fairly quickly and I think they're going to be the correct decisions"
Well, if there are decisions that are already known to be correct, why have any committees at all? Just make the frigging decisions already and get the job done.

Oh, that's right. Rupert and Pootie haven't told you what those decisions are yet.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:19 PM   #63
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,930
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
You guys must really have a thing for CNN. Geez have you even checked their ratings recently? Is this an apple or what?

Chris B.
Is this really the best you can do?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:24 PM   #64
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,896
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
CNN edited the live feed? Wonder why?
You can’t edit a live feed.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:31 PM   #65
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,184
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Perhaps you should concentrate on the travel ban from China put in place late January and go from there. Nick nacks and cherry picking won't get you where you want to be.

Chris B.
Wrong. It was an "immigration ban for Chinese nationals". And you do know how many people would transit US international airports each day, don't you? Tens of thousands.

So some 40,000 people from China returned to the USA after this so-called ban was put in place. These were all people who were not Chinese nationals but had been in or through China during the COVID outbreak period in Hubei province. Some were citizens from other countries. But a lot of them were US tourists, who brought the virus back with them. All allowed to enter the USA with no problems.

But the Chinese are avid tourists as are Europeans who have been to China and not subject to Trump's silly ban. They go to many other places in the world...especially European cultural spots like UK, Italy and Spain. So guess what! Virus hot-spots.

It was the same thing with Trump's stupid "Europe ban" shortly after. It banned nationals from selected European countries but not others. Anyone arriving in the USA from those countries only was stopped. But it didn't stop people from other European countries, notably the UK or transiting via the UK. Since Heathrow is the major link from Europe into the US east coast, many Europeans transit through there regularly, from Italy and Spain too. So more tens of thousands arrived on flights from the UK into New York especially. And guess what! That's where the virus came from that is now devastating that area.

So you can rattle on about Trump's so-called travel bans being effective for as long as you like. But they were VERY poorly managed, and largely ineffective. Much like Trump.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:33 PM   #66
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,184
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How about we concentrate on Trump declaring himself to have "total authority" and the power of the president being "total"??

He just made himself dictator.
Well, he can SAY it. But Trump saying anything doesn't make it so. In fact, more likely it will be the opposite.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:38 PM   #67
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 4,860
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Well, he can SAY it. But Trump saying anything doesn't make it so. In fact, more likely it will be the opposite.
The Chosen Ones supporters will cling to it, and insist it it true.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:44 PM   #68
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,930
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Well, he can SAY it. But Trump saying anything doesn't make it so. In fact, more likely it will be the opposite.
I'm curious what Fox News personalities think of Trump's total authority statement, but not curious enough to actually watch them.

Not that I'm urging reporters to troll Trump but they've surely got a pretty good idea what triggers Trump. However it's uncertain if his base voters even care if he declares or even has total power to overrule state governments.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:50 PM   #69
slyjoe
Graduate Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 1,905
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm curious what Fox News personalities think of Trump's total authority statement, but not curious enough to actually watch them.

Not that I'm urging reporters to troll Trump but they've surely got a pretty good idea what triggers Trump. However it's uncertain if his base voters even care if he declares or even has total power to overrule state governments.
I'm more curious about the Republican Congress-critters.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:57 PM   #70
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,840
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm curious what Fox News personalities think of Trump's total authority statement...
I doubt they'll even mention it.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:05 PM   #71
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,801
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
That is one way of looking at it. Another way could be that President Trump exposed the fake news media with facts that contradicted their false narratives. Of course this way of looking at it would mean you'd have to take the time to "fact check" the facts.

Chris B.
Let's do some more fact checking from today's debacle:

Trump:
Quote:
Let me ask you this, why did Biden apologize, why did he write a letter
Biden has never apologized to Trump, much less in a letter.

Trump:
Quote:
I could have done what some countries are doing. They’re getting beat up pretty I could have kept it open. I thought of keeping it open, because nobody has ever heard of closing down a country, let alone the United States of if I would have done that, we would have had hundreds of thousands of people that would right now be dead. We’ve done this right.
N. Korea and Italy both stopped flights from China before Trump.

The campaign style video Trump showed which basically was clips of people praising him, etc. had NO clips from February...the time when he did basically nothing but downplay the virus. The reporter asked what he did in FEBRUARY, after the Jan. 31 ban of flights from China. That's when Trump went postal and attacked the media and the reporter.

His video included a quote from Maggie Habermann but left out an important part:

Quote:
Fact check: White House video left out reporter's full remark:

Facts First: The Haberman quotes are misleading as they edit out one of her key points: that the President’s travel restriction was one of the last actions he took to address the coronavirus for weeks.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:12 PM   #72
autumn1971
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,138
Well I’m sure Republicans will rally together to firmly denounce the POSOTUS after his declaration of total federal control over the states, right?

Right?
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:17 PM   #73
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,692
Yes, yes we all know. The Right is always on about government overreach and states rights and are crickets and tumbleweeds now.

I know, you know, they know. The difference is they don't care. Moral consistency isn't a dump stat for trolls.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th April 2020 at 06:21 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:20 PM   #74
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 26,957
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The only part I enjoy is that Trump is clearly upset that he's not getting credit for his accomplishments. I think he really believes that he's doing a good job and his frustration at not being recognized shows. It's always funny when you get to see Trump suffering.
His real problem is that he IS getting credit for his "accomplishments".
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:28 PM   #75
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 9,785
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
That is one way of looking at it. Another way could be that President Trump exposed the fake news media with facts that contradicted their false narratives. Of course this way of looking at it would mean you'd have to take the time to "fact check" the facts.

Chris B.
”Trump exposed...with facts.”

I’m just gonna leave that gem right there.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:36 PM   #76
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,801
The Republican governor of Ohio, Mike DeWine, was asked by Anderson Cooper about Trump's claim that he 'has the ultimate authority" when it comes to opening up the states. Once again, we are being told by a Republican what he thinks Trump means rather than what he actually said. DeWine dances around by saying that Trump has the 'ultimate bully pulpit" so he can influence what governors do. But that is not what Trump said. Trump was very clear that he has the Constitutional authority to overrule the governors as the "ultimate authority" and that his "power is total". DeWine says he doesn't blame Trump for describing it that way. I wonder if all GOP politicians were given instruction for dealing with Trump: whatever Trump says or does, bend over and kiss his *** if you want to survive. Never, ever criticize Trumplethinskin.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:37 PM   #77
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,161
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Wrong. It was an "immigration ban for Chinese nationals". And you do know how many people would transit US international airports each day, don't you? Tens of thousands.

So some 40,000 people from China returned to the USA after this so-called ban was put in place. These were all people who were not Chinese nationals but had been in or through China during the COVID outbreak period in Hubei province. Some were citizens from other countries. But a lot of them were US tourists, who brought the virus back with them. All allowed to enter the USA with no problems.

But the Chinese are avid tourists as are Europeans who have been to China and not subject to Trump's silly ban. They go to many other places in the world...especially European cultural spots like UK, Italy and Spain. So guess what! Virus hot-spots.

It was the same thing with Trump's stupid "Europe ban" shortly after. It banned nationals from selected European countries but not others. Anyone arriving in the USA from those countries only was stopped. But it didn't stop people from other European countries, notably the UK or transiting via the UK. Since Heathrow is the major link from Europe into the US east coast, many Europeans transit through there regularly, from Italy and Spain too. So more tens of thousands arrived on flights from the UK into New York especially. And guess what! That's where the virus came from that is now devastating that area.

So you can rattle on about Trump's so-called travel bans being effective for as long as you like. But they were VERY poorly managed, and largely ineffective. Much like Trump.
The title of the order is:

"Proclamation on Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Persons who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus"

I just sank your battleship.

Chris B.
__________________
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:39 PM   #78
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 9,785
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Perhaps you should concentrate on the travel ban from China put in place late January and go from there. Nick nacks and cherry picking won't get you where you want to be.

Chris B.
Okay, I’m concentrating.

Concentrating.

Still concentrating.

Is this “travel ban from China” supposed to materialize if I close my eyes extra tight?

Concentrating more than ever now. Really hard.

Yeah, doesn’t seem to be happening. Welp, I tried.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:44 PM   #79
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 9,785
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not over us non-Americans it isn't. **** right off, you orange prick.
I never thought about it before, but I’ll bet he spray tans the old wazoo, too. Y’know, to give it that healthy, sun-dappled glow.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:44 PM   #80
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 27,315
If the executive branch is more important than the states, then when can get rid of the state-centric electoral college and go to most-votes wins the election.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.