ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges

Old 15th May 2020, 04:47 AM   #81
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Another day, another lie, in fact, he isn't even trying to hide it now. You can just see the gears in his head turning while he goes through the process of create the right lie that suits him.

Quote:
And I spoke with Angela Merkel today. I spoke with Prime Minister Abe of Japan. I spoke with many of the leaders over the last four or five days. And so many of them, almost all of them — I would say all of them; not everybody would want to admit it — but they all view us as the world leader, and they’re following us.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...bers-congress/

Last edited by a_unique_person; 15th May 2020 at 04:59 AM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 06:18 AM   #82
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm, in no particular order besides the order they occur to me:

Obama's birth certificate is fake
Vaccines cause autism
Joe Scarborough probably murdered someone
Ted Cruz's father was involved with Lee Harvey Oswald
Alex Jones is an amazing reporter
Obama wiretapped Trump Tower
Promise to eliminate the national debt in 8 years (instead he's added trillions more to it)
Promise of 4, 5 or 6% economic growth
We're doing a great job on the coronavirus
I won the popular vote

ETA: almost forgot: I'm a very stable genius.

Last edited by Puppycow; 15th May 2020 at 06:29 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 07:31 AM   #83
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Another day, another lie, in fact, he isn't even trying to hide it now. You can just see the gears in his head turning while he goes through the process of create the right lie that suits him.

Quote:
And I spoke with Angela Merkel today. I spoke with Prime Minister Abe of Japan. I spoke with many of the leaders over the last four or five days. And so many of them, almost all of them — I would say all of them; not everybody would want to admit it — but they all view us as the world leader, and they’re following us on Twitter.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...bers-congress/

Fixed that for him.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 08:18 AM   #84
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
And I spoke with Angela Merkel today. I spoke with Prime Minister Abe of Japan. I spoke with many of the leaders over the last four or five days. And so many of them, almost all of them — I would say all of them; not everybody would want to admit it — but they all view us as the world leader, and they’re following us.
Here is a perfect example of where The PDJT starts with an indistinct number and then escalates it, three times in one sentence!
Old 15th May 2020, 08:23 AM   #85
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Here is a perfect example of where The PDJT starts with an indistinct number and then escalates it, three times in one sentence!
Indeed. It should be preserved as an example par excellance of this mode of lie construction of his.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 11:24 AM   #86
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I forgot to highlight the last one, where the definitive statement is now set in stone.
Old 15th May 2020, 06:40 PM   #87
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Except, Trump went to High School and College. Although no one can see the records. I consider it a lie when you don't know something and just make it up. But my guess is the only one who has ever referred to Trump as a genius is Trump himself.
You're selling his sycophants short.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 06:45 PM   #88
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Did any of his weddings to date include vows of fidelity?
That doesn't count because he doesn't know what the word means. He thinks it's what comes after 'high'.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 01:26 AM   #89
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Did sir-drinks-a-lot take his toys and stomp off home?
Old 16th May 2020, 06:45 AM   #90
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
He was hoping for liberal tears to drink again.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 01:02 PM   #91
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he thought that no one could name 10 lies...
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 02:33 PM   #92
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
He got his trolls in about formatting, ranking, listing too few or too many, etc. His job is done.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 02:58 PM   #93
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Obviously, I did want to see what sort of responses I got otherwise I wouldn't have started the thread. I didn't expect much, even with all of the qualifications I gave but was pleasantly surprised by a few posters. d4m10n did a great job, Ladewig had a good showing despite only listing five (so far), dmaker had a decent list although he didn't follow instructions. There were a few others.

I'd say that most of you all the sudden got curiously quiet on a topic that you spend most of the day about. One poster posted a list of imaginary responses to another poster's list. And a lot of you were terrified of "gotchas".

Overall, I'd say it was a pretty good showing. 6/10.
Old 16th May 2020, 02:58 PM   #94
zorro99
Muse

Trump lies, America dies.
Old 16th May 2020, 04:04 PM   #95
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Obviously, I did want to see what sort of responses I got otherwise I wouldn't have started the thread. I didn't expect much, even with all of the qualifications I gave but was pleasantly surprised by a few posters. d4m10n did a great job, Ladewig had a good showing despite only listing five (so far), dmaker had a decent list although he didn't follow instructions. There were a few others.

I'd say that most of you all the sudden got curiously quiet on a topic that you spend most of the day about. One poster posted a list of imaginary responses to another poster's list. And a lot of you were terrified of "gotchas".

Old 16th May 2020, 04:14 PM   #96
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
He got his trolls in about formatting, ranking, listing too few or too many, etc. His job is done.
Given the following post, it appears you are eligible for the million-dollar challenge!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 04:44 PM   #97
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Jesus. There's no game. Sure, I think most of you are idiots, but you should be able to rattle something off. Especially since that's all you've been going on about for the past four years. Who cares about 16K+ demonstrable fibs (which is BS anyways), give me ten juicy full-on lies.
Adorable.
Old 16th May 2020, 06:55 PM   #98
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Jesus. There's no game. Sure, I think most of you are idiots, but you should be able to rattle something off. Especially since that's all you've been going on about for the past four years. Who cares about 16K+ demonstrable fibs (which is BS anyways), give me ten juicy full-on lies.
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Adorable.
It seems to me that Sir D a Lot received far more than ten juicy full-on lies. But 'we're' the idiots. The cognitive dissonance must be causing his brain to explode.
Old 17th May 2020, 12:25 AM   #99
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

What amazes me about this thread is that the OP apparently genuinely thought that finding ten juicy full on Trump lies would be a challenge. The only challenge is choosing the ten most egregious from amongst the thousands of examples.
Old 17th May 2020, 01:00 AM   #100
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
What amazes me about this thread is that the OP apparently genuinely thought that finding ten juicy full on Trump lies would be a challenge. The only challenge is choosing the ten most egregious from amongst the thousands of examples.
...from the last week.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:45 AM   #101
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Which is the exact definition of trolling.
Other people start threads because they're interested in discussing a topic.
Old 17th May 2020, 04:50 AM   #102
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

“We don't know anything about Hillary in terms of religion. Now, she's been in the public eye for years and years, and yet there's no — there's nothing out there."
I chose this one for the IRONY.

Last edited by Ladewig; 17th May 2020 at 05:00 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:51 AM   #103
a_unique_person

Trump still says China is paying for tarrifs.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnbri.../#252facdf25a2
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:55 AM   #104
a_unique_person

This thread could rival the Amanda Knox thread for posts.
Old 17th May 2020, 07:44 AM   #105
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I think a lot of Trump’s “lies” are due to sloppy, motivated thinking combined with a careless choice of words.

Two examples:

“I won the women’s vote by 52%”. That’s categorically false. Perhaps he saw that 52% of white women voted for him, and conveniently “forgot” the qualifier. In fact, he lost the overall women’s vote. What cements this as a lie to me is that he gets corrected, but then continues to repeatedly promote the same false statement.

“The crime rate is higher than its been in 40 years. The press won’t tell you that.” Not an exact quote, but very close. Also categorically false - the crime rate was then at near historic lows. Again, he had seen or heard that a recent increase in the crime rate was the highest in 40 years. I think his mind is muddled and confused enough that he may not appreciate the difference between the crime rate and the increase in crime rate. Again, it becomes a certifiable lie when he continues to repeat it when he has the opportunity to correct himself.

I think he’s just not very smart, and is willing to say whatever makes him look good, true or not.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 17th May 2020 at 07:46 AM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 08:56 AM   #106
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I think a lot of Trump’s “lies” are due to sloppy, motivated thinking combined with a careless choice of words.

Two examples:

“I won the women’s vote by 52%”. That’s categorically false. Perhaps he saw that 52% of white women voted for him, and conveniently “forgot” the qualifier. In fact, he lost the overall women’s vote. What cements this as a lie to me is that he gets corrected, but then continues to repeatedly promote the same false statement.

“The crime rate is higher than its been in 40 years. The press won’t tell you that.” Not an exact quote, but very close. Also categorically false - the crime rate was then at near historic lows. Again, he had seen or heard that a recent increase in the crime rate was the highest in 40 years. I think his mind is muddled and confused enough that he may not appreciate the difference between the crime rate and the increase in crime rate. Again, it becomes a certifiable lie when he continues to repeat it when he has the opportunity to correct himself.

I think he’s just not very smart, and is willing to say whatever makes him look good, true or not.
Winning the women's vote by 52% was absolutely true by his standards. Non-white people of either sex have no business voting. Millions of illegal votes by them!
Old 17th May 2020, 09:20 AM   #107
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Winning the women's vote by 52% was absolutely true by his standards. Non-white people of either sex have no business voting. Millions of illegal votes by them!
This calls the question of whether Trump's "lies" are untruths spoken knowingly with intent to deceive, or whether he's such an inveterate ********ter that he doesn't really have a working model of the real world so as to differentiate true statements from false ones.

ETA: Not sure which possibility I find more frightening, but probably the latter.

Last edited by d4m10n; 17th May 2020 at 09:38 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 09:34 AM   #108
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
This calls the question of whether Trump's "lies" are untruths spoken knowingly with intent to deceive, or whether he's such an inveterate ********ter that he doesn't really have a working model of the real world so as to differentiate true statements from false ones.
Nobody serving as President of the United States gets to claim ignorance on this scale.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:24 AM   #109
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Two examples:

”I won the women’s vote by 52%”. That’s categorically false. Perhaps he saw that 52% of white women voted for him, and conveniently “forgot” the qualifier. In fact, he lost the overall women’s vote. What cements this as a lie to me is that he gets corrected, but then continues to repeatedly promote the same false statement.

I was just about to make a post about this type of lie.
When he gets caught in real-time in this type of lie, he often shrugs it off by saying “someone told me that.” That, of course, is an appropriate response for an 11-year-old, but not for POTUS. I used to scream at the TV when reporters never followed up on their question about a statistic’s veracity with a question like, “why are you hiring people who make such careless errors? Especially when you brag about your management skills, which were a key plank in your political platform.” Or, “don’t you have fact-checkers working in this administration?”

And I’d love to see a question at the next press conference like “have you fired the person who made you look bad by giving you obviously-incorrect information?” Although I’ll confess that is an obviously-biased question.

But I agree with your conclusion: repeating incorrect information in that manner is a lie.
Old 17th May 2020, 11:08 AM   #110
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
That, of course, is an appropriate response for an 11-year-old, but not for POTUS.
On one of CNN's incessant promos, Anderson Cooper says "With all due respect sir, that's the argument of a 5-year-old".

To which Trump responds in a nasally, whiny voice, "I didn't start it."

That one exchange manages to encapsulate SO much!
Old 17th May 2020, 06:42 PM   #111
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

On one of CNN's incessant promos, Anderson Cooper says "With all due respect sir, that's the argument of a 5-year-old".

To which Trump responds in a nasally, whiny voice, "I didn't start it."

That one exchange manages to encapsulate SO much!
And that was before the nomination.
Anyone claiming that they didn’t know what they were getting into by voting for Trump in the primaries doesn’t have much of an argument.
Old 17th May 2020, 07:29 PM   #112
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This just in: water is wet.
Old 17th May 2020, 07:45 PM   #113
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The juiciest lies are both obvious and significant. Such as:
Q: Have you ever met Vladimir Putin?
A: Yes.
Q: You have?
A: Yes a long time ago. We got along great.

And this, a few weeks prior :
I have no relationship to -- with him [Putin]. I have no relationship with him.
I have no relationship with him. I don't -- I've never met him. … I have no relationship with Putin. I don't think I've ever met him. I never met him.
I have never spoken to him on the phone, no.
Old 17th May 2020, 09:43 PM   #114
a_unique_person

Those debates. So his supporters were thinking they just want an ordinary everyman. They appear to be happy with their choice.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:34 PM   #115
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Those debates. So his supporters were thinking they just want an ordinary everyman. They appear to be happy with their choice.
Trump is an "ordinary everyman" like Queen Elizabeth is just an ordinary haus frau.

Apologies to Liz.
Old 18th May 2020, 12:30 AM   #116
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

You might have met someone who is something like Trump at a bar, a sporting event, or a large party (perhaps even a family gathering).

He is that loudmouth who claims that he knows exactly how to fix everything that is wrong with America. His childishly simplistic plans ignore the complexities and interrelated nature of 21st century problems. He never listens to your point, he is merely waiting until he can talk some more. He replaces citations with repetition and replaces logical reasoning with volume.

No matter where you met him you would never want him near the White House.
Old 18th May 2020, 12:35 AM   #117
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You might have met someone who is something like Trump at a bar, a sporting event, or a large party (perhaps even a family gathering).

He is that loudmouth who claims that he knows exactly how to fix everything that is wrong with America. His childishly simplistic plans ignore the complexities and interrelated nature of 21st century problems. He never listens to your point, he is merely waiting until he can talk some more. He replaces citations with repetition and replaces logical reasoning with volume.

You give him too much credit - it is rare that he ever waits for anyone to finish before talking over them.
Old 18th May 2020, 02:18 AM   #118
a_unique_person

Yet he's at that bbq surrounded by people who love it.
Old 18th May 2020, 04:04 AM   #119
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

He's my younger brother. At exactly the sort of family gathering you mention, he was going on and on about climate change being a hoax, pontificating that "carbon monoxide" wasn't a factor, since it was necessary for plants to survive, they breathe it in and we get oxygen, etc., etc. My wife was standing behind me with one warning hand firmly on my shoulder throughout; thankfully, it wasn't our gathering, so we could leave when we (that is to say, I) got ready. Which was not long in coming. He was also prone to lambasting ObamaCare as commie soshalism, which was pretty rich, considering he'd had three or four live-saving heart procedures without benefit of any insurance to pay for them.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 06:08 PM   #120
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yet he's at that bbq surrounded by people who love it.
That's because they love his behavior. He triggers the bleeding heart libtards and they love his right wing policies. And so many of them are just dumb.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics