ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 14th September 2020, 03:55 PM   #2561
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Is he? The last time I saw a news story about Trump having maskless rallies, it was accompanied by a photo of a bunch of people at his rally in masks.

What kind of cognitive dissonance does it require to publish a story with a photo which refutes your own headline?
The people behind Trump are wearing masks. Makes for a good photo op. But most of the people at the rally were not wearing them.

Quote:
And while many supporters visible in stands directly behind Trump were wearing masks, most individuals higher up on the stands away from Trump and most supporters on the ground in front of Trump's podium were not sporting masks.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/polit...ion/index.html

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 04:05 PM   #2562
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The people behind Trump are wearing masks. Makes for a good photo op. But most of the people at the rally were not wearing them.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ff4aee3b9c.jpg
A leader would have insisted they wear masks or better yet, not held the rally at all.
Old 14th September 2020, 04:05 PM   #2563
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Canada had 1 covid death yesterday. The US had 380. (A lot less than 1000, but just wait for winter.)

One key reason why the number of US covid deaths recorded for yesterday was only 380 is, I believe, not because there were that many fewer than 1,000 covid deaths yesterday but because yesterday was a Sunday. Looking at a chart that gives the daily reported US covid deaths there's a very visible pattern where the numbers reported for weekends are dramatically lower than the numbers reported for weekdays.

For example, here's a link to the page at the Worldometers.info site which gives information about the state of the covid situation in the United States. Clicking the link and doing a search on page for the phrase Daily New Deaths in the United States will take one to a chart giving the daily recorded US death totals. As you can see, pretty much every 7 days there's a dramatic dip down. Now, that could be because the angels who collect and process souls have a clause in their newer contracts giving them more time off on weekends, but I think it's much more likely to do with the reporting of and recording of covid deaths being slower in some way on weekends.

Or, here's a current copy of the chart. Going to the Worldometers site is better, because then you can hover your cursor on the chart and see the recorded numbers for each day. But even this small-sized copy should be enough to show the similar-shaped valley which has appeared every weekend since April.

Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 04:12 PM   #2564
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post
One key reason why the number of US covid deaths recorded for yesterday was only 380 is, I believe, not because there were that many fewer than 1,000 covid deaths yesterday but because yesterday was a Sunday...

My point being, in case it wasn't clear, that varwoche is very right about there being a very significant difference between the number of deaths Canada is experiencing and the number of deaths the US is experiencing. Donald Trump's administration has handled the situation very poorly, and this is the result.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 04:24 PM   #2565
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
For cripes sake, the man is still holding crowded, mask-less, rallies
Is he? The last time I saw a news story about Trump having maskless rallies, it was accompanied by a photo of a bunch of people at his rally in masks.

What kind of cognitive dissonance does it require to publish a story with a photo which refutes your own headline?
To answer your direct question to SG, yes, he is. (Click on the Twitter photo at the link for a bigger version) But, sure, the Hill could have used a better photo (with their Tweet, not their "story," which didn't have that photo at all), and that's what is important.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 05:11 PM   #2566
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Behind the stage is always a hand-selected, camera-friendly contrivance of "good Americans."
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 06:45 PM   #2567
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post
<snip for brevity>
Yes, thanks for reminding me about the Sunday dips.

(In the Worst Year Ever, I look for anything to brighten my day. Seeing you around is awesome in every way.)
Old 15th September 2020, 08:30 AM   #2568
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Laura Ingraham tweets
@IngrahamAngle
Pedophilia on its way to being recognized as a protected lifestyle. Congratulations, California. And happening nationally if Biden gets to fill the courts
Huh. Are you for a bill that allows sex between someone 14 and someone 24 at the judge's discretion? I mean, okay, win for gay people that this is now extended to include gay sex... but seriously? 10 years difference and down to age 14?
Old 15th September 2020, 08:38 AM   #2569
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Of course the closest would wear masks. Wouldn't want to infect Dear Leader.

The rest of the cultists are of no concern to said Dear Leader.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 08:39 AM   #2570
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Huh? I really don't understand what you're trying to say. One could argue that more deaths than they had in South Korea is too many.

The fact is Trump knew it was deadly and as Commander and Chief and POTUS, he bears responsibility in protecting the citizens. He didn't do that. He did worse than that. He didn't wear a mask. He didn't encourage people to take safety precautions. In fact, he turned acting recklessly into some badge of courage instead of the stupidity it is. He said it would just go away. He said it was a hoax. He held rallies where his campaign staff deliberately removed social distancing stickers.
All true RE: Trump.

But let's say we had Biden, what would the death toll in the US have looked like? How much better would we be doing in that regard?
Old 15th September 2020, 08:45 AM   #2571
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

But let's say we had Biden, what would the death toll in the US have looked like? How much better would we be doing in that regard?
Another way to word this question:

What if the POTUS followed guidance from the experts, rather than actively subverting it?
Old 15th September 2020, 08:48 AM   #2572
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Herman Cain would probably still be alive.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:52 AM   #2573
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

*Trump drives a busload of orphans off a cliff and into an active volcano*

Sure, that’s bad. But how would it have been different if Biden was driving?

Last edited by johnny karate; 15th September 2020 at 08:53 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 08:56 AM   #2574
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Behind the stage is always a hand-selected, camera-friendly contrivance of "good Americans."
Who were wearing masks with Trump slogans and such on them, clearly provided by the campaign when they were chosen to sit there.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:57 AM   #2575
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Huh. Are you for a bill that allows sex between someone 14 and someone 24 at the judge's discretion? I mean, okay, win for gay people that this is now extended to include gay sex... but seriously? 10 years difference and down to age 14?
Ingraham is just filthy Trumptrash so you have to check what she says. Their kind can't be trusted. The bill in no way makes anything that is illegal now legal. The bill in question adds gay or non-vaginal sex to the list of crimes where a judge has discretion as to forcing the defendant to register as a sex offender. The law already exists for heterosexual vaginal sex.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:59 AM   #2576
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
*Trump drives a busload of orphans off a cliff and into an active volcano*

Sure, that’s bad. But how would it have been different if Biden was driving?
That's the core part of "We can't govern, therefore that's our proof that the government ruins everything and the Democrats are evil because they want an even bigger government!" philosophy.

It's more "Trump runs a busload of orphans off of a cliff and into an active volcano and uses it as proof that Democrats wanting mass transit want to murder your children."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 15th September 2020 at 09:00 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 09:17 AM   #2577
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Ingraham is just filthy Trumptrash so you have to check what she says. Their kind can't be trusted. The bill in no way makes anything that is illegal now legal. The bill in question adds gay or non-vaginal sex to the list of crimes where a judge has discretion as to forcing the defendant to register as a sex offender. The law already exists for heterosexual vaginal sex.
I know that. I am aware of that.

But regardless of sexual orientation... shouldn't people be against this law on its face? Shouldn't any extension of that law to include more minors be considered a bad thing?

Instead, this seems to be lauded by several people on the interwebs as a great win and progress for LGBT rights. And I'm seriously just baffled as to how allowing for a 24 year old to have sex of any kind with a 14 year old could be considered a good thing.
Old 15th September 2020, 09:21 AM   #2578
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Another way to word this question:

What if the POTUS followed guidance from the experts, rather than actively subverting it?
Sure, go with that. Can you quantify what that would look like in numbers, imprecise as the answer may be?

I would say that we might look a little more like France. I don't think we would have done much better than that because the Federal Government doesn't control what happens in each State. In Texas, for example, Gov. Abbott would have faced the same pressures from the people and business owners and reacted in much the same way. And just in general, the people would have reacted in much the same way -a long shutdown was never going to happen in the US. Any POTUS would have faced a non-compliant population and State governments that reopened way too early.

I can't see us matching Canada's numbers and no way in Hell we would have done as well as South Korea.
Old 15th September 2020, 09:26 AM   #2579
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In Texas, for example, Gov. Abbott would have faced the same pressures from the people and business owners and reacted in much the same way. And just in general, the people would have reacted in much the same way
Don't you think it might have been more effective if the President was't attacking the governors that were implementing government advice rather than attacking them and encouraging people to object?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 09:27 AM   #2580
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

But regardless of sexual orientation... shouldn't people be against this law on its face? Shouldn't any extension of that law to include more minors be considered a bad thing?

Instead, this seems to be lauded by several people on the interwebs as a great win and progress for LGBT rights. And I'm seriously just baffled as to how allowing for a 24 year old to have sex of any kind with a 14 year old could be considered a good thing.
All the things you're worried about are still illegal. The only change to the law is what happens when you get out of prison. A 24-year-old having sex with a 14 year old is illegal now and will still be illegal if the bill is signed into law. The law would give the judge the same latitude he/she currently has in heterosexual cases to all such cases on what happens for post incarceration monitoring.
Old 15th September 2020, 09:29 AM   #2581
xjx388
Philosopher

I don't read it that way. It's a win for LGBT rights because now California will treat them equally. And the law isn't allowing a 24 year old to have sex with a 14 year old. It's simply allowing discretion for the judge to decide whether or not the 24 year old has to register as a sex offender. I can't imagine a scenario in which the extremes will escape the sex offender registry. But say a 19 year old has sex with a 16 year old -does the 19 year old always in every case have to register as a sex offender? The answer used to be "Yes" if it was a homosexual couple.
Old 15th September 2020, 10:16 AM   #2582
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Don't you think it might have been more effective if the President was't attacking the governors that were implementing government advice rather than attacking them and encouraging people to object?
Also, beginning the hypothetical comparison at the point that the pandemic was already out of control is like handing Biden the keys to the bus after it was already airborne.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 11:16 AM   #2583
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Who were wearing masks with Trump slogans and such on them, clearly provided by the campaign when they were chosen to sit there.
They were. They were handed out to them as stated in one of the articles I read. It was clearly staged.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 11:44 AM   #2584
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, go with that. Can you quantify what that would look like in numbers, imprecise as the answer may be?
Of course not.

Quote:
I would say that we might look a little more like France. I don't think we would have done much better than that because the Federal Government doesn't control what happens in each State. In Texas, for example, Gov. Abbott would have faced the same pressures from the people and business owners and reacted in much the same way. And just in general, the people would have reacted in much the same way -a long shutdown was never going to happen in the US. Any POTUS would have faced a non-compliant population and State governments that reopened way too early.

I can't see us matching Canada's numbers and no way in Hell we would have done as well as South Korea.
I'm certain the pressure would have been less had Trump not aggressively promoted his idiotic notions. No, I can't quantify that either.

I'm unimpressed by the question. Any answer would be highly speculative and hard to support.

There are countless terrible deeds that we all know are sociopathic, and would have fatal consequences, and we would agree the perps belong in prison, yet we can't really quantify. Like, what if tomorrow lots of people chose to exercise their freedom by driving 80 mph stone drunk in school zones? Do you need a count in order to deem that a serious problem?
Old 15th September 2020, 11:52 AM   #2585
Emily's Cat

I would say that we might look a little more like France.
Let's just hope we didn't end up looking more like the UK or Spain.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:06 PM   #2586
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
All the things you're worried about are still illegal. The only change to the law is what happens when you get out of prison. A 24-year-old having sex with a 14 year old is illegal now and will still be illegal if the bill is signed into law. The law would give the judge the same latitude he/she currently has in heterosexual cases to all such cases on what happens for post incarceration monitoring.
I don't read it that way. It's a win for LGBT rights because now California will treat them equally. And the law isn't allowing a 24 year old to have sex with a 14 year old. It's simply allowing discretion for the judge to decide whether or not the 24 year old has to register as a sex offender. I can't imagine a scenario in which the extremes will escape the sex offender registry. But say a 19 year old has sex with a 16 year old -does the 19 year old always in every case have to register as a sex offender? The answer used to be "Yes" if it was a homosexual couple.
Okay, that's a much more reasonable view of it. I rescind my objection.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:24 PM   #2587
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's an "if". I trust we would have done better. But we can only speculate. But the speculation is based on what we know about both men. Biden is a good man who doesn't need to prove he's the smartest most well informed person in the room.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:42 PM   #2588
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's an "if". I trust we would have done better. But we can only speculate. But the speculation is based on what we know about both men. Biden is a good man who doesn't need to prove he's the smartest most well informed person in the room.
Biden has a conscience. Biden listens to others. Biden isn't a sociopath. Biden isn't a narcissist. Biden has morals. Biden isn't a pathological liar. Nuff said.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 15th September 2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:56 PM   #2589
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Biden has a conscience. Biden listens to others. Biden isn't a sociopath. Biden isn't a narcissist. Biden has morals. Biden is a pathological liar. Nuff said.
I wouldn't say pathological
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 01:09 PM   #2590
Emily's Cat

Biden has a conscience. Biden listens to others. Biden isn't a sociopath. Biden isn't a narcissist. Biden has morals. Biden is a pathological liar. Nuff said.
I suspect you're missing "n't" in there...
Old 15th September 2020, 01:53 PM   #2591
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
I wouldn't say pathological
I suspect you're missing "n't" in there...
LOL. Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 15th September 2020, 03:28 PM   #2592
Venom
Illuminator

It doesn't have to be a "good" thing, just not worth a decade in prison or permanent placement on a sex offender registry for. This of course doesn't include rape. Overall it's a good bill and this paranoia over "pedophilia" (which it's not) is nonsense.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 04:27 PM   #2593
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump War Room tweeted

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022
@TrumpWarRoom
Joe Biden does NOT deny he is taking performance enhancing drugs
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 04:37 PM   #2594
Emily's Cat

At his age, viagra isn't really uncommon.
Old 15th September 2020, 04:46 PM   #2595
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Best Endorsement Ever!

Quote:
Scientific American Endorses Joe Biden
We’ve never backed a presidential candidate in our 175-year history—until now

Credit: Ross MacDonald
Scientific American has never endorsed a presidential candidate in its 175-year history. This year we are compelled to do so. We do not do this lightly.

The evidence and the science show that Donald Trump has badly damaged the U.S. and its people—because he rejects evidence and science. The most devastating example is his dishonest and inept response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which cost more than 190,000 Americans their lives by the middle of September. He has also attacked environmental protections, medical care, and the researchers and public science agencies that help this country prepare for its greatest challenges. That is why we urge you to vote for Joe Biden, who is offering fact-based plans to protect our health, our economy and the environment. These and other proposals he has put forth can set the country back on course for a safer, more prosperous and more equitable future.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ses-joe-biden/
Old 15th September 2020, 04:50 PM   #2596
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump War Room tweeted

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022
@TrumpWarRoom
Joe Biden does NOT deny he is taking performance enhancing drugs
Breaking News: Donald Trump does NOT deny he wears women's lace underwear while Melania spanks him with her Jimmy Choo spike heels while Lindsey Graham watches!
Old 15th September 2020, 07:31 PM   #2597
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ff4aee3b9c.jpg
A leader would have insisted they wear masks or better yet, not held the rally at all.

As opposed to holding the rally in a state where there was a state-wide mandate to wear masks and a limit of fifty people at outdoor gatherings. (Not to mention the six foot separation rule.) And ridiculing the Governor of the state for having declared such mandates.

Which is what Trump did.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 15th September 2020 at 07:33 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 08:48 PM   #2598
Venom
Illuminator

Honestly, I hope Joe Biden polishes up his speaking.

Not gonna lie he looks old as hell and is a shell of himself from even just a couple years back.

Trump in the ABC town hall looked pretty sharp.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 09:12 PM   #2599
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Honestly, I hope Joe Biden polishes up his speaking.

Not gonna lie he looks old as hell and is a shell of himself from even just a couple years back.

Trump in the ABC town hall looked pretty sharp.
Is that one where the young woman asked him why he downplayed the virus and he said he never downplayed it despite having told Woodward he downplayed it and then repeated that he liked downplaying it? That town hall?
Old 15th September 2020, 09:30 PM   #2600
Venom
Illuminator

Is that one where the young woman asked him why he downplayed the virus and he said he never downplayed it despite having told Woodward he downplayed it and then repeated that he liked downplaying it? That town hall?
Yeah. Perception matters a bit more than reality though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics