ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 20th July 2020, 12:19 PM   #321
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The report into Russian Interference in UK democracy, including the Brexit vote is due to be released at 10:30 tomorrow. I think I know what my afternoon is going to be.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 12:46 PM   #322
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
Northern Ireland will vote to reunite with Ireland when the border poll is allowed to go ahead. As the last two elections in the North have shown the nationalist share of the vote is now over 50% and with the teenage population being close to 55-45 in favour of nationalist communities that disparity is going to widen.

Add in parties like Alliance and the Northern Greens (who are mainly composed of unionists who are reconciling themselves to reuinficiation) who would likely push for reunification when a bad Brexit happens and you could see a vote in, say, ten years time pushing near to 60% for reunification.

Arlene's best allies at the moment are the "32 county republicans" of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, who are more afraid of what reunification would do to their chances of ever getting into government again than protecting the rights of the nationalist community under the GFA.
Thankfully we'll get a vote to refuse to take the useless, money grubbing parasites.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 12:47 PM   #323
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
The report into Russian Interference in UK democracy, including the Brexit vote is due to be released at 10:30 tomorrow. I think I know what my afternoon is going to be.
Alas I have a vidmeet but it'll be a post-dinner read on the deck, assuming the weather is good and the cat feeling obliging.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 01:11 PM   #324
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Holding all the redacted parts up to the light?

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 01:13 PM   #325
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Then take everything that I've said and apply it to the fact that the NHS even has charities.
The charities are voluntary organisations which often raise funds for things that are not so essential to the NHS that the tax payer has to pay for it.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 01:36 PM   #326
RolandRat
Muse

Northern Ireland will vote to reunite with Ireland when the border poll is allowed to go ahead. As the last two elections in the North have shown the nationalist share of the vote is now over 50% and with the teenage population being close to 55-45 in favour of nationalist communities that disparity is going to widen.

Add in parties like Alliance and the Northern Greens (who are mainly composed of unionists who are reconciling themselves to reuinficiation) who would likely push for reunification when a bad Brexit happens and you could see a vote in, say, ten years time pushing near to 60% for reunification.

Arlene's best allies at the moment are the "32 county republicans" of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, who are more afraid of what reunification would do to their chances of ever getting into government again than protecting the rights of the nationalist community under the GFA.
Does the Republic even want reunification?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 03:24 PM   #327
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The charities are voluntary organisations which often raise funds for things that are not so essential to the NHS that the tax payer has to pay for it.
Like air ambulances, mri scanners, palliative care, proper food service for patients you mean?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 08:09 PM   #328
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Like air ambulances, mri scanners, palliative care, proper food service for patients you mean?
Jeez! Do you think the UK is Germany or something? Such luxuries are for those countries that can afford them, like EU countries!
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 10:55 PM   #329
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Those do not come under the umbrella of NHS charities. As an example, some of the £33m that Capt. Tom raised went to providing relaxing rest rooms for the nurses with lots of Hygge: plump cushions and cute coffee mugs, etc.

Old 21st July 2020, 01:08 AM   #330
Tolls
Philosopher

Oh you mean like Above and Beyond:
https://www.aboveandbeyond.org.uk/Pa...ry/your-impact

Yes, quite. All of that is cuddly cushions and cute mugs.
Especially the 4D scanner, and the support kit for stroke patients.

And that's just the first charity on the list of NHS Charity members.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 02:24 AM   #331
Wudang
BOFH

Captain Tom's Justgiving page refers to "NHS Charities Together Covid-19 Urgent Appeal."

https://www.nhscharitiestogether.co....nt-appeal-qas/
Old 21st July 2020, 02:56 AM   #332
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

An amendment to the government’s Trade Bill intended to protect the NHS and publicly funded health and care services from any form of control from outside the UK has been defeated.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 02:58 AM   #333
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Well the release of the #RussiaReport off to a good start with the head of the committee calling Boris Johnson a serial liar in covering it up.

The committee releasing report is scathing.
They're openly calling number 10 liars. They have deliberately done everything in their power to help Russian interference!
Old 21st July 2020, 03:00 AM   #334
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
the government deliberately didn't take any measures to find out whether there was Russian interference in the Brexit referendum
So they didn't investigate alleged Russian interference in the referendum because they were worried that they might find proof of it. Does that sound right?
Old 21st July 2020, 03:22 AM   #335
3point14
Pi

Boris? A liar? I'm shocked.

This is so depressing.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 03:28 AM   #336
wobs
Master Poster

So they didn't investigate alleged Russian interference in the referendum because they were worried that they might find proof of it. Does that sound right?
They need to investigate this ASAP. Sounds like a job for Chris Grayling.
Old 21st July 2020, 03:56 AM   #337
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Government have already rejected ISCommittee's call for an independent inquiry into Russian interference in the Brexit referendum. Government response says: "A retrospective assessment of the EU referendum is not necessary".
Old 21st July 2020, 04:00 AM   #338
Wudang
BOFH

Even the BBC news website has a quote that the government "actively avoided" looking for interference.
Old 21st July 2020, 04:39 AM   #339
Wudang
BOFH

First impressions are that this is a pretty decent summary
https://www.thearticle.com/the-russi...xit-key-quotes
Old 21st July 2020, 04:52 AM   #340
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Well the release of the #RussiaReport off to a good start with the head of the committee calling Boris Johnson a serial liar in covering it up.

The committee releasing report is scathing.
They're openly calling number 10 liars. They have deliberately done everything in their power to help Russian interference!
The trouble is, like with Dominic Cumming's trip to Barnard Castle, it simply doesn't matter any more. The government could be openly conspiring with the Russians but Conservative MPs are happy because in five months they'll be getting the no-Deal Brexit they've been desperate for.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 05:14 AM   #341
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

GOV.UK tweeted "Whatever you’ve missed, now is the time to get back out there and enjoy it safely."

I've missed having a government that ISN'T ******* COMPROMISED BY THE RUSSIAN STATE!
Old 21st July 2020, 05:15 AM   #342
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The trouble is, like with Dominic Cumming's trip to Barnard Castle, it simply doesn't matter any more. The government could be openly conspiring with the Russians but Conservative MPs are happy because in five months they'll be getting the no-Deal Brexit they've been desperate for.
You are right, there won't be any consequences.

Not so long ago this would have brought a government down
Old 21st July 2020, 05:31 AM   #343
Gulliver Foyle
Thinker

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Ireland has a competent government. Britain has Johnson, Pael, Rabb, Grayling and Cummings.
As a bona fide Irish person, I wouldn't be too sure of that. As Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have shown since 2008 they are, at best, only sporadically competent.
Old 21st July 2020, 05:59 AM   #344
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Yep, that's the topline read. Although it is quite explicit that Russian money is tied back to the Kremlin and is funnelled through the UK and to political parties and peers directly or through enablers. From now on we can save typing "Arron Banks" and just call him "****" .

Of course part of the problem is that the language is very dry and understated, and a great deal is redacted, which is why in times like this it's helpful to have journalists able to put these things into their proper context... Well, we'll see.

The lies surrounding it's release are disgusting and under prior governments would have been a scandal in their own right. Now they're just another Tuesday.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 06:00 AM   #345
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

As a bona fide Irish person, I wouldn't be too sure of that. As Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have shown since 2008 they are, at best, only sporadically competent.

We can only dream of sporadically competent.

Old 21st July 2020, 06:52 AM   #346
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I didn’t find anything.

- But you didn’t look.

And I didn’t find anything.

- But you didn’t LOOK.

There wasn’t anything to look for.

- But there WAS something to look for!

Well I didn’t find anything.
Old 21st July 2020, 07:15 AM   #347
Wudang
BOFH

RussInCheshire with his excellent weekintory

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/s...50820214349826

Quote:
"The ISC demanded an inquiry into Russian interference in Brexit.
The govt immediately said no
I’m sure this is a coincidence, but this week it was reported the largest political donor in British history is a Russian Socialite who has paid £1.7m to the Tory party
The company she runs has assets of £23,000 and liabilities of £8.4m, so it’s a mystery where all that donated money is coming from."
Old 21st July 2020, 07:24 AM   #348
Gulliver Foyle
Thinker

Thankfully we'll get a vote to refuse to take the useless, money grubbing parasites.
It'll go through this side too. At about 62% approval rate, reunification is really popular down here.

And about the "money grubbing" the money that Westminster "gives" the North is almost identical to the amount of taxes paid into the treasury by companies and workers based in the North (and I actually think for a few years now the North is paying in more than it's getting from Westminster). Any shortfall has been made up by subvention and development grants from the EU.
Old 21st July 2020, 07:59 AM   #349
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
RussInCheshire with his excellent weekintory

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/s...50820214349826
The linked tweet relates to Matt Hancock lying about when lockdown started, not Russian interference in British democracy.

edited to add......

Sorry it's items 44-47 in that tweet thread

Last edited by The Don; 21st July 2020 at 08:04 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 08:57 AM   #350
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've missed having a government that ISN'T ******* COMPROMISED BY THE RUSSIAN STATE!
Me too. And I'm American.
Old 21st July 2020, 09:35 AM   #351
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Does the Republic even want reunification?
Not when they're shown the pricetag for supporting the workshy, freeloaders Ooop North.
Old 21st July 2020, 09:38 AM   #352
catsmate
No longer the 1

As a bona fide Irish person,

So am I.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. As Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have shown since 2008 they are, at best, only sporadically competent.
While Sinn Féin have demonstrated they're almost invariably incompetent. Not to mention the have of anti-semities, racists, misogynists, climate change deniers, 5G nuts and conspiracy loons in general.
Old 21st July 2020, 09:43 AM   #353
catsmate
No longer the 1

It'll go through this side too. At about 62% approval rate, reunification is really popular down here.
Until you show people the bill, then support plummets to under 50%....

And about the "money grubbing" the money that Westminster "gives" the North is almost identical to the amount of taxes paid into the treasury by companies and workers based in the North (and I actually think for a few years now the North is paying in more than it's getting from Westminster). Any shortfall has been made up by subvention and development grants from the EU.
Oh good grief. You either don't know what you're talking about or actively denying reality to suit your beliefs.
The Northern Ireland Subvention, to cover the massive fiscal deficit, runs at around Stg£8.9 billion pa. Northern Ireland hasn't be fiscally in surplus for more than fifty years.
Old 21st July 2020, 10:11 AM   #354
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Until you show people the bill, then support plummets to under 50%....

Oh good grief. You either don't know what you're talking about or actively denying reality to suit your beliefs.

The Northern Ireland Subvention, to cover the massive fiscal deficit, runs at around Stg£8.9 billion pa. Northern Ireland hasn't be fiscally in surplus for more than fifty years.
In the context of the same events still unfolding, don't forget the fairly recent additional 1bn. the DUP secured with the confidence-and-supply agreement with May's government.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 10:53 AM   #355
Garrison
Philosopher

Same problem in the UK and the USA, the people in charge of investigating Russian interference are the ones who benefitted from it.
Old 21st July 2020, 02:08 PM   #356
catsmate
No longer the 1

Hmm, despite ceptimus being around in the last few days he hasn't deigned to tell us why we're all wrong and Brexit is a complete success.
Almost as if reality was sinking in.....
Old 21st July 2020, 11:49 PM   #357
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm, despite ceptimus being around in the last few days he hasn't deigned to tell us why we're all wrong and Brexit is a complete success.
Almost as if reality was sinking in.....
More likely that the latest set of talking points hasn't been released.

My guess is that any Brexit-related issues which cannot be blamed on the EU's intransigence and Remoaner fifth-columnists will be attributed to the effects of Coronavirus which, despite having one of the worst death rates and some of the worst economic problems in the world, will have been handled superbly by the government

Any government failure or inaction relating to Brexit will be excused due to the fact that the government were too busy protecting us from "Chinese-Covid", "Wuhan-flu" or "Kungflu" as it will be increasingly be known (to please the US and so get a trade deal and because we will have fallen out (further) with the Chinese over 5G and Huawei).
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:01 AM   #358
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I smelt a rat about three years ago - deep state corruption (things that used to matter such as honesty and integrity no longer did) - and got the hell out of there.

Yet run a poll tomorrow and 'Boris' is still the darling of the masses.

Morons. They should be revolting against the Russian traitors and executing them for treason. People used to care (WWII) now it's 'hostile foreign powers running the country' <shrug> 'Who cares?'

Old 22nd July 2020, 12:04 AM   #359
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

We can only dream of sporadically competent.
At least the Brits are consistently incompetent. We even failed to get the failing Grayling appointed as head of security. There's an art to being incompetent.

Old 22nd July 2020, 12:06 AM   #360
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The linked tweet relates to Matt Hancock lying about when lockdown started, not Russian interference in British democracy.

edited to add......

Sorry it's items 44-47 in that tweet thread
As Hancock says, the lockdown didn't start when it did start, it started a good week before when people started locking down off their own bat.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics