ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th August 2020, 09:35 AM   #241
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

From GOP convention proceedings...
Crowd: Four more years! Four more years! Four more years!

Trump: If you want to drive them crazy, say 12 more years!

Ha ha. Fascist humor from a brazen wannabe fascist.
Old 24th August 2020, 11:29 AM   #242
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
From GOP convention proceedings...
Crowd: Four more years! Four more years! Four more years!

Trump: If you want to drive them crazy, say 12 more years!

Ha ha. Fascist humor from a brazen wannabe fascist.
It's true though. The thought of living in a dictatorship does drive many of us crazy.

He's projecting his plan while disguising it as a joke. He knows it's a long-shot but he's going to try and then, when he fails, say he was joking the whole time.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 11:35 AM   #243
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It's true though. The thought of living in a dictatorship does drive many of us crazy.

He's projecting his plan while disguising it as a joke. He knows it's a long-shot but he's going to try and then, when he fails, say he was joking the whole time.
And it's a double win. If he gets his way, well he gets his way. If he doesn't "LOL lookit how overdramatic da libtards were being."

Again it's the scary subtle genius of how Trump has split his base among people who want a fascist strongman and those who are just nihilistic trolls, and often time those two motivations exist in the same person.
Old 24th August 2020, 01:19 PM   #244
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

"Russia if you're listening..." They were.

"You see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, rough, please don't be too nice..." They were not.

"I’d like to punch him [a protester] in the face." A cultist obliged.

Abbreviated due to time pressure.
Old 31st August 2020, 10:33 AM   #245
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's been taken down, now, but Trump re-tweeted another white nationalist account. The account was @TDN_NOTICIAS. I won't link to the specific tweet, but it was footage of a black man pushing a white woman on to subway tracks (or trying to, I didn't bother watching the video), crediting it to Black Lives Matter. The video is actually from last year and has nothing whatsoever to do with BLM.
Old 31st August 2020, 10:38 AM   #246
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He also knows that enough of his apologists have their asses so far up their own keisters that if Trump does "LOL Troll" us into a fascism (or a dictatorship or a theocracy or a sparkling failed democracy or whatever) it will somehow be different then him just doing it "honestly" or whatever.

"Yeah I'm ruining the country, but I'm doing it ironically/trolling/as a Poe/Performance Art/some combination thereof" really is selling as a message to a lot of people.
Old 31st August 2020, 02:33 PM   #247
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

1. Trump cultists drive through Portland firing projectiles at protesters.
2. Trump re-tweets the video; calls them "great patriots".
3. Today McEnany tells us "I don't think the president has seen that video. Nor have I."

These are actions of a fascist.
Old 31st August 2020, 10:27 PM   #248
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

KAC explicitly said that violent protesting helps Trump's chances in November.
Of course he will do what he can to have more, not less violence.
And if reelected, he will keep on fostering violence to keep his power.
Old 1st September 2020, 04:45 AM   #249
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

3. Today McEnany tells us "I don't think the president has seen that video. Nor have I."

Maybe China will listen to you.....
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 05:57 AM   #250
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You should demonstrate how these meet the criteria for actions of a fascist.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:03 AM   #251
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
KAC explicitly said that violent protesting helps Trump's chances in November.

I think that this may be true. Who is / are KAC?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:13 AM   #252
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I think that this may be true. Who is / are KAC?
Kellyanne Conway.
You might have heard of her as a Trump/ White House spokesperson.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ke...ed-11598550026

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 1st September 2020 at 06:15 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:13 AM   #253
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
You should demonstrate how these meet the criteria for actions of a fascist.
When Trump encourages paramilitary violence against protesters, if that doesn't scream brownshirts then I can't help you.
Old 1st September 2020, 06:18 AM   #254
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

When Trump encourages paramilitary violence against protesters, if that doesn't scream brownshirts then I can't help you.
He just does not see the connection.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:19 AM   #255
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Probably the first thing that would come to my mind is theocracy.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:32 AM   #256
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Probably the first thing that would come to my mind is theocracy.
Yeah Bob that's the whole "Then we can't help you" thing.
Old 1st September 2020, 07:49 AM   #257
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
He just does not see the connection.
he sees the connection he just seems to think that “maybe he’s some other type of authoritarian dictator” is meaningful counterpoint.
Old 1st September 2020, 07:57 AM   #258
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
he sees the connection he just seems to think that “maybe he’s some other type of authoritarian dictator” is meaningful counterpoint.
"Stopping the discussion about what to do about Trump's evil because I want to argue about what kind of evil you called him" has become a favored tactic among the Trumpers.

It's why I don't like ignoring Bob. He teaches bad argumentatives to other people.
Old 1st September 2020, 08:12 AM   #259
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Stopping the discussion about what to do about Trump's evil because I want to argue about what kind of evil you called him" has become a favored tactic among the Trumpers.
This is an ironic argument to make here, given that the thread title is specifically about what kind of evil to call Trump and not what to do about him.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 08:15 AM   #260
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Just like Antifa and the boogaloos do, there's multiple groups on that front.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 08:22 AM   #261
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Just like Antifa and the boogaloos do, there's multiple groups on that front.
I urge you to contemplate the difference between the President of the United States and fringe actors who are supported by virtually nobody.

(I don't know what a boogaloo is, other than a dance. Is this a weird drop of the mask?)

Last edited by varwoche; 1st September 2020 at 08:26 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 08:25 AM   #262
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

I urge you to contemplate the difference between the President of the United States and fringe actors who are supported by virtually nobody.

(I don't know what a boogaloo is, other than a dance.)
Groups like ANtifa for the other side. So, without all the facts how do you have a valid opinion? A simple googling would show the Boogaloos as a rightish, Hawaiian shirt wearing gun nut/vigilante group that has stoked tensions as well. One would think your Chinese handlers would have better prepared you. The Russians would have
Old 1st September 2020, 08:26 AM   #263
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It is in a thread arguing that he is specifically fascist (and not just using it as a term of art).

It is like you are going into a thread where someone titled it "this killer used an assault rifle", and people challenging that, and then you state, "why do these gun nuts think arguing it wasn't an assault rifle is meaningful counterpoint?"

ETA: if you want to say you don't actually mean fascism, then fine. But it seems the people here do wish to conclude it is fascism and not some other form of authoritarianism.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 1st September 2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 1st September 2020, 08:40 AM   #264
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

(I don't know what a boogaloo is, other than a dance. Is this a weird drop of the mask?)
Racist ****wits looking forward to a new civil war. Specifically Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo, gettit? His kind of people.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 08:41 AM   #265
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Racist ****wits looking forward to a new civil war. Specifically Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo, gettit? His kind of people.
By what disociative non logic did you just make me out to be a racist?
Old 1st September 2020, 08:43 AM   #266
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

If you aren't, you should keep better company.
Old 1st September 2020, 08:46 AM   #267
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

If you aren't, you should keep better company.
Just shaking my head.....
Old 1st September 2020, 08:53 AM   #268
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Just shaking my head.....
No, he's right. Stop hanging around this forum, it's filled with racists.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 09:11 AM   #269
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Kellyanne Conway.
You might have heard of her as a Trump/ White House spokesperson.
Yes I have, just never by her initials. Thank you.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 10:54 AM   #270
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
This is an ironic argument to make here, given that the thread title is specifically about what kind of evil to call Trump and not what to do about him.
It is in a thread arguing that he is specifically fascist (and not just using it as a term of art).
The fact that traits outlined in that post post are only part of what characterises fascism is completely irrelevant to the conversation.
Old 1st September 2020, 11:03 AM   #271
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The fact that traits outlined in that post post are only part of what characterises fascism is completely irrelevant to the conversation.
It hasn't been demonstrated that it is "part of what characterises fascism" at all.
Old 1st September 2020, 12:37 PM   #272
Boudicca90
Thinker

The fact that you equated Antifa (a movement to oppose fascism and white supremacy) with Boogaloo (a movement to create fascism through white supremacy) shows who you are. It's like saying the Allies and Axis powers were just as bad as each other.
Boudicca90 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 05:25 PM   #273
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Boudicca90 View Post
The fact that you equated Antifa (a movement to oppose fascism and white supremacy) with Boogaloo (a movement to create fascism through white supremacy) shows who you are. It's like saying the Allies and Axis powers were just as bad as each other.
Some of them were.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 07:35 PM   #274
Venom
Illuminator

Huh? I've never strongly associated Boogaloos with fascism or white supremacy. I know there are definitely some among them, but the core principles seem to be anti-government violence and self defense, if you can call it that. There are also libertarians and anarchists among them.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 07:45 PM   #275
Boudicca90
Thinker

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Huh? I've never strongly associated Boogaloos with fascism or white supremacy. I know there are definitely some among them, but the core principles seem to be anti-government violence and self defense, if you can call it that. There are also libertarians and anarchists among them.
The Boogaloo movement's goal is to create a race war to destroy the government by using it to start a civil war, or at least that is what they claim. "Libertarians" in these kinds of groups are often hypocrites who support many of the same things as the far right.

That's why they are nowhere to be seen in protests against Trump and his policies, because they support him. They are a dangerous extremist group and Antifa is defending this country against them.
Boudicca90 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 08:11 PM   #276
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

It’s “civil war 2, electric boogaloo”. The civil war is meant to be a race-based war. It’s white supremacy.
Old 1st September 2020, 08:23 PM   #277
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's all in the name, isn't it?

I mean just think of all the Tibetan people who have been liberated by the People's Liberation Army. And of course the democratic people's republic of Korea is vastly superior to the mere republic of Korea. Unification when?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 08:27 PM   #278
carlitos
"más divertido"

Weak
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:32 AM   #279
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Are we allowed to call Trump's regime fascism now?

It may still be at the transitional stage, but there's no better word for it.
Quote:
Is MAGA a movement based on ultra-nationalism, race-based and religion-based divisions, and an obsession with the past? If it is, then, we need to stop avoiding what that is called...

Renegade Cut (Aug. 25, 2020): MAGA and Fascism
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 04:25 AM   #280
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

The fascists have finally gone too far. This cannot stand, free people of the world, rise up!

Rand Paul is going to subpoena Antifa airlines. This is outrageous! I've been diligently racking up skymiles while I've been flying here and there to spread chaos and chuck bricks, and now I might lose them all! My wife and I were planning to use them soon to take a trip down to Cuba for sunshine, fruity drinks, and more George Soros funded Marxism training.

Smash the fash, and give me my priority boarding back, now!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics