ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th September 2020, 05:20 PM   #321
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Lincoln Project is on a roll.

Three messages:
1. you've (this one to is directed at Trump personally) spent bigly on the campaign and has to throw in his own money now.
2. it's not working. You're still losing.
3. oh, and lest you forget from our previous ad, your own people are still corrupt and embezzling campaign money.

I don't have metrics on how effective they are, but I just love these ads. It's like they know exactly how to get to him. Also love the use of a condescending female speaker for the *****-grabber in chief .
I'm not sure how effective this would be against Trump. I watched and came away unimpressed. I had high hopes though! They could have done it way better.

Clinton outspent Trump by over a billion and she should have benefited by the RNC not being behind their own candidate until very late in the game.
Do you think that Trump needs to pay for more media exposure than his opponent this time? I don't think that is true for a campaign like his.

Trump is already President and so he actually could spend LESS this time around. He has the most free media of anyone on the planet.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 05:54 PM   #322
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Quote:
Lincoln Project is on a roll.

Three messages:
1. you've (this one to is directed at Trump personally) spent bigly on the campaign and has to throw in his own money now.
2. it's not working. You're still losing.
3. oh, and lest you forget from our previous ad, your own people are still corrupt and embezzling campaign money.
I'm not sure how effective this would be against Trump. I watched and came away unimpressed. I had high hopes though! They could have done it way better.
Keep in mind that, as Safe-keeper mentioned, much of the ad was directed at Trump personally, in an attempt to get under his skin.
Quote:
Clinton outspent Trump by over a billion and she should have benefited by the RNC not being behind their own candidate until very late in the game.
Its impossible to say. Maybe it did't make a difference. Maybe if Clinton didn't outspend Trump, Trump might have done even better in the election. Its hard to say since you can't go back in time and re-run things with different spending.
Quote:
Do you think that Trump needs to pay for more media exposure than his opponent this time? I don't think that is true for a campaign like his.
Maybe, maybe not. I suspect that most political campaigns are better off with more advertising than less. (Not to mention other uses of campaign money... voter registration drives, polling, opposition research, etc.)

Yes, he gets a lot of free publicity in the 2020 election (as he did in 2016). But a lot of that is accompanied by criticism by the same media outlets that gave him the free publicity last time. (And the media is evaluating him a bit more critically than they did last time.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:00 PM   #323
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, he gets a lot of free publicity in the 2020 election (as he did in 2016). But a lot of that is accompanied by criticism by the same media outlets that gave him the free publicity last time. (And the media is evaluating him a bit more critically than they did last time.)

One issue I see is that many people who DID NOT vote for Trump the last time believed all the horror of what was supposed to come. The whole country was supposed to devolve into an immediate economic and social disaster with chaos and war. But that did not happen. The country actually did pretty well.
I think most of us see that the racism protests evolved from liberal colleges (and coastal media) and spread from there.
Statistically, racism had no changes though, just more complaints about it and calls for change. Warranted? Maybe. Any deaths are too many but we have a BIG country here!

Now, the same things are being said --so do people believe it 'this time'?
Is it true this time?

Last edited by Sherkeu; 15th September 2020 at 06:03 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 08:10 PM   #324
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

One issue I see is that many people who DID NOT vote for Trump the last time believed all the horror of what was supposed to come. The whole country was supposed to devolve into an immediate economic and social disaster with chaos and war. But that did not happen. The country actually did pretty well.
There were some very early protests, but that was in reaction to Trump getting smashed on the popular vote but winning due to the features of the electoral college.

That being said, no, it was not a disaster prediction. Trump backed off a lot of his more scary rhetoric at first and most folks who voted against him just signed and figured and took a 'wait and see' approach, me included.

That Trump was so unprepared with his transition team (or lack thereof) did not fill people with confidence. And given his first actions prior to inauguration that should have been playing to his strengths (I.e. negotiations with drug companies) were utter, abject failures did not inspire confidence.

Once Trump was in office and started almost immediately doing what his white supremacist handlers wanted (Muslim ban, for example) there were more protests.

Yes, the economy kept growing. Trump jumped in front of that parade and claimed he started it, but we've seen time and time again that his efforts either made no difference (coal deregulation) or actively hurt sectors of the economy (tariffs). The stock market spiked upon his election, because it does that when a GOP gets elected, but it settles down to whatever direction it was going at the same rate.

Still, through it all we could see that the man had zero capacity to lead. He talked a big game but was obviously a craven coward unwilling do any actual leading. He'd be fine if no crisis came up. Unpopular, certainly, but still electable due to the EC, a decent enough economy, and the GOP's constant, unyielding efforts at voter suppression.

Unfortunately, a crisis came up. Several, actually but not enough people cared about Puerto Rico or his Concentration camps. We are all suffering from his neglect, his ineptitude, his arrogance, and his complete inability to show any form of leadership.

Now in an earlier post you referred to Clinton outspending Trump, and this is true, but I will also say Clinton's ads weren't particularly effective against Trump. She went for a positive route, which is fine but the ad I saw the most of was a very boring interview where she talked about helping children. Very nice, but ultimately a bit aloof when looking at the Trump circus and not very effective at snaring the "let's see what an outsider can do" crowd away from Trump. More to the point, it was boring. I got sick of seeing the ad. Now Trump can get publicity by being his usual inept self, but without decades of Clinton bashing by the GOP to aim at Biden, it has been coming up short.

Trouble is, at this point most of Trump's voters are a devoted, destructive cult. Ads probably won't make much of a difference at this point. Trump is unlikely to get his 'FBI investigating emails' event but he's probably going to try a 1/2 dozen Hail Mary passes efforts starting mid-October, I suspect he's going to try buying and passing off the untested Russian C19 vaccine as a miracle solution. I also expect him to try a bunch of artificial scandals with Biden and the Ukraine, but I doubt that is going to sway anyone the way the emails

The thing is, he cannot just be beaten. He needs to be crushed. Utterly. This nation needs to say it overwhelmingly rejects him. Anything shy of that and you can bet his appointees are going to do everything to keep him in power until he drops dead.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.

Last edited by kookbreaker; 15th September 2020 at 08:12 PM.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 12:16 AM   #325
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Now in an earlier post you referred to Clinton outspending Trump, and this is true, but I will also say Clinton's ads weren't particularly effective against Trump. She went for a positive route, which is fine but the ad I saw the most of was a very boring interview where she talked about helping children. Very nice, but ultimately a bit aloof when looking at the Trump circus and not very effective at snaring the "let's see what an outsider can do" crowd away from Trump. More to the point, it was boring. I got sick of seeing the ad. Now Trump can get publicity by being his usual inept self, but without decades of Clinton bashing by the GOP to aim at Biden, it has been coming up short.

Trouble is, at this point most of Trump's voters are a devoted, destructive cult. Ads probably won't make much of a difference at this point. Trump is unlikely to get his 'FBI investigating emails' event but he's probably going to try a 1/2 dozen Hail Mary passes efforts starting mid-October, I suspect he's going to try buying and passing off the untested Russian C19 vaccine as a miracle solution. I also expect him to try a bunch of artificial scandals with Biden and the Ukraine, but I doubt that is going to sway anyone the way the emails
Because of all the outrageous things he does and says, or in the case of the 2016 election did and said, President Trump gets an enormous amount of free coverage across the media spectrum. In FOXNews and Sinclair Media he also has two full-time propaganda outlets. He can get away with relatively modest media spends because of that.

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
The thing is, he cannot just be beaten. He needs to be crushed. Utterly. This nation needs to say it overwhelmingly rejects him. Anything shy of that and you can bet his appointees are going to do everything to keep him in power until he drops dead.
Unfortunately the size and enthusiasm of his base and the willingness of GOP supporters to vote the ticket means IMO that this isn't going to happen.

IMO it won't be close on the popular vote, but GOP voter suppression, trashing postal ballots and election-day shenanigans will mean that he'll likely win the Electoral College and if he doesn't, he'll attempt to litigate his way to reelection and he has appointed the judges to allow him to do that
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 06:42 AM   #326
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My county's Supervisor of Election just sent me a PDF sample ballot. Not 100% finalized yet but this is probably more or less what we are going to see on November 3rd.

Lot more 3rd party people on the ballot for President then I was expecting. There's a total of 7 POTUS/VOTUS tickets and a write-in space and we didn't even get Kanye.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th September 2020 at 06:43 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 08:01 AM   #327
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
While Trump clings to the claim about Biden being an extreme far-leftist who works for Bernie and Mao, Republicans running for office in Missouri and Nebraska have released ads that openly acknowledge that Biden is actually on their side: they play video of Biden's own anti-progressive rants to make the Republicans' case for them that their opponents in those races contrast with Biden by actually being lefties. They don't appear to think the public would buy Trump's claim that Biden is precisely what he was ranting against in those videos. That makes these Missouri & Nebraska Republican campaign videos essentially refutations against Trump's own campaign theme.
Targeted ads: same thing that the Trump campaign used in 2016. The targets were identified by Cambridge Analytica's data mining, some of which was illegal skimming.

NPR 2018: Cambridge Analytica's Legal Challenges
Quote:
The British data mining firm Cambridge Analytica has suspended its CEO as investigations gear up in Great Britain and the United States. The firm allegedly obtained data from millions of Facebook users and used that data to help President Trump get elected in 2016. NPR's Peter Overby gives us a look at some of the potential legal problems here.
NBC: Donald Trump's 2020 campaign is working with ex-Cambridge Analytica staffers
Quote:
A company run by former officials at Cambridge Analytica, the political consulting firm brought down by a scandal over how it obtained Facebook users' private data, has quietly been working for President Donald Trump's 2020 re-election effort, The Associated Press has learned.

The AP confirmed that at least four former Cambridge Analytica employees are affiliated with Data Propria, a new company specializing in voter and consumer targeting work similar to Cambridge Analytica's efforts before its collapse. The company's former head of product, Matt Oczkowski, leads the new firm, which also includes Cambridge Analytica's former chief data scientist.

Oczkowski denied a link to the Trump campaign, but acknowledged that his new firm has agreed to do 2018 campaign work for the Republican National Committee. Oczkowski led the Cambridge Analytica data team which worked on Trump's successful 2016 campaign.

Brittany Kaiser, who formerly worked at Cambridge Analytica, argues that Trump’s 2020 campaign is benefiting from Mark Zuckerberg’s decision to allow politicians to lie in ads. The political dust from this is still settling.

So Delvo, are you glad, indifferent, concerned about the data mining, and/or concerned about disinformation in campaigns?

The hypocrisy of the Federalists' insisting Biden take down the disputed* ad claiming witnesses heard Trump dissing the dead soldiers before canceling a visit to a war memorial in Europe is off the charts.

*Disputed because multiple witnesses tell different stories supporting both sides.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 08:29 AM   #328
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How badly is your campaign going if you’re resorting to accusing your opponent of taking performance enhancing drugs?

Trump War Room tweeted

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022
@TrumpWarRoom
Joe Biden does NOT deny he is taking performance enhancing drugs
Classic propaganda technique.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
On the other hand, Donald is NOT denying he is taking anti-paranoid schizophrenic drugs.
Perfect response.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th September 2020 at 08:30 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 12:46 PM   #329
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

https://www.niskanencenter.org/bitec...tember-update/

Poor Biden.

After the election he’ll wind up in that institution on the hill, where they
send elderly, sometimes crazy politicians, watched over by cameras and
a very attentive staff. Ever door has alarms, and key pads to open them,
the whole facility surrounded by high fences and armed guards at every
gate making sure he can’t wander off…

Oh…

I’m reading the 2020 September Bitecofer/Epstine Analysis of the upcoming
election, with extra nuance in the appendix that runs contrary to my thinking
on the issue. But I do agree them on with block voter theory performs better
than swing voter theory.

Quote:
In this cycle though, disunity between the popular vote and the Electoral
College is unlikely. The Republican Party’s “small tent” strategy of appealing
primarily to white voters and using voter suppression strategies to mitigate
the damage is likely to keep Trump’s share of the two-party vote share low,
well below 50%.

To win, the Trump campaign needs to replicate 2016. They need to drag
the winning two-party vote margins in the swing states to “plurality” vote
shares: something below the 50% mark. Based on Trump’s polling, which
is consistently stuck at 46-47%, well below.

Then they must subtract from Biden enough votes that his ultimate two-party
vote share ends up even lower than Trump’s - as what happened to Clinton.
This can only happen with another round of atypically high third-party and
write-in balloting.

This time, polling data makes no suggestion of the voter sentiments
that drove 2016’s high defection rates. Not only are voters much more
likely to choose either Biden or Trump, the percent indicating undecided
is already low - the complete opposite of the conditions everyone should
have seen plainly heading into 2016.

I like the small tent strategy.

The smaller the tent the more cozy it becomes.

Jokes aside, I notice in the appendix the 2004 election which runs
counter to this prediction. Alas, I’ve got a bit more reading to do,
before I can comment fully.
Old 16th September 2020, 06:20 PM   #330
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Trump hasn't said a single thing about the Lincoln Project, has he?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 07:01 PM   #331
Armitage72
Illuminator

He's made several angry Tweets about "lying ads" that were clearly referring to the Lincoln Project in context.

For example:
"We had FAR more people (many millions) watching us at the RNC than did Sleepy Joe and the DNC, and yet an ad just ran saying the opposite. This is what we’re up against. Lies. But we will WIN! "

That was in reference to this ad.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 07:11 PM   #332
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
He's made several angry Tweets about "lying ads" that were clearly referring to the Lincoln Project in context.

For example:
"We had FAR more people (many millions) watching us at the RNC than did Sleepy Joe and the DNC, and yet an ad just ran saying the opposite. This is what we’re up against. Lies. But we will WIN! "

That was in reference to this ad.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Like Woodward said, Trump doesn't know what is real and what is unreal. I don't think he was exaggerating. I think Trump really does believe his own lies.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 07:24 PM   #333
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's weird. As oddly and childishly obsessed with certain critics as he gets, he has huge blind spots as to other.
Old 16th September 2020, 09:35 PM   #334
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Florida, the last place you would look for a crazy political strategy to work…

Quote:

2018 Florida District Votes

Florida does not count votes in uncontested races, so the votes in
the four uncontested seats held by Democratic members of the House
are not counted in the totals or percentages on this page, and each
under counts the votes for Democrats in Florida.

I wonder. Could the Republicans admit that they cannot win certain districts,
then leave the Democratic candidate unopposed and not have those votes
counted in the presidential election? Biden wins the popular vote in Florida,
but Trump wins the state. Anyone know?
Old 16th September 2020, 11:33 PM   #335
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I think most of us see that the racism protests evolved from liberal colleges (and coastal media) and spread from there.
Statistically, racism had no changes though, just more complaints about it and calls for change. Warranted? Maybe. Any deaths are too many but we have a BIG country here!

Now, the same things are being said --so do people believe it 'this time'?
Is it true this time?
You cannot be serious.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 11:37 PM   #336
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump 2020!
We are not in a literal Hellscape yet!
Old 17th September 2020, 02:54 AM   #337
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

From the "Trump is Guilty of Murder" thread, I like: "Trump 2020, He's Only Guilty of Negligent Homicide".
Old 17th September 2020, 02:55 AM   #338
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Florida, the last place you would look for a crazy political strategy to work…

I wonder. Could the Republicans admit that they cannot win certain districts,
then leave the Democratic candidate unopposed and not have those votes
counted in the presidential election? Biden wins the popular vote in Florida,
but Trump wins the state. Anyone know?
Vote for President is contested though.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 03:07 AM   #339
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I've been looking at Texas for a while now. Everyone is worrying about Florida but Texas is really the state to watch. The likely voter polling may not be taking into account new Hispanic voters in Texas. Hispanic voters in Texas are not the same as Hispanic voters in Florida and their issues are very different. They're anti wall, and Trump's anti immigrant xenophobia plays very poorly (to say the least) with them. That, coupled with suburbs going blue may put Texas in play more than the models suggest.
Old 17th September 2020, 04:01 AM   #340
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You cannot be serious.
Yep. Totally serious.
Do you have something constructive to add?
These are my ideas, my experience.

I also think Trump will win and this forum will go totally bananas...again.
Old 17th September 2020, 04:16 AM   #341
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Yep. Totally serious.

Everything did devolve into an economic and social disaster with chaos and war just not immediately - this year, in fact. Of course, you think Trump's going to win. You're voting for him, aren't you?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 04:28 AM   #342
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Yep. Totally serious.

I no longer even pretend to be able to predict electoral futures. I go into this thing with complete uncertainty.

one thing is certain though, if Trump wins again, the Democrats will again learn nothing from it and double down on the losing strategy.
Old 17th September 2020, 04:42 AM   #343
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yep. Totally serious.

What electoral map do you see Trump having? Keep in mind Biden is in a much different/better position than Clinton was at this point in 2016. The post Labor Day narrowing hasn't narrowed was much this year as compared to 2016.
Old 17th September 2020, 05:02 AM   #344
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Election forecasts sem to range from about 75%-90+%. Granted, even a 1/5 chance of Trump winning four more years is terrifying, but at least the odds are heavily in our favour.

Things can go both ways the last month or so before election night, but I predict the October surprises this year will be more damaging for Trump than for Biden. The leaks and tell-all books so far have been pretty damning, I can only imagine what people might still be sitting on.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 05:09 AM   #345
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay seriously when will anyone who supports/performs apologetics for Trump ever own up to any reason beyond "LOL Librul Tears."

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
one thing is certain though, if Trump wins again, the Democrats will again learn nothing from it and double down on the losing strategy.
If Trump wins again it will be the last free and open election we have. There won't be another one for the Dems to lose.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What electoral map do you see Trump having?
Either the same ones that all had Hillary winning in 2016 or the "I don't care what the maps says I'm declaring myself the winner anyway" one.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 17th September 2020 at 05:10 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 05:09 AM   #346
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What electoral map do you see Trump having? Keep in mind Biden is in a much different/better position than Clinton was at this point in 2016. The post Labor Day narrowing hasn't narrowed was much this year as compared to 2016.
I see the Biden/Trump race as basically a rematch of Clinton/Trump, but with some key disadvantages for Trump this time around, including (in no particular order):

- Pandemic and resulting economic damage under Trump leadership
- Biden does not have nearly the same level of prior baggage and public animus as Hillary
- President Trump's record makes him seem more unacceptable than candidate Trump in 2016
- Anti Trump animus will boost turnout despite Biden's otherwise uncompelling candidacy.

Trump still has the advantage that his very presence triggers the libs, which goes a long way for reactionary right wingers, and the party is very much now unified to support him (defectors aside).

My amateur guess is that the current economic downturn is going to be a big boon for Biden and gives him a big advantage in what otherwise would have been a very close race, perhaps favoring Trump.

I doubt the symbolic victories of a continued Trump presidency make up for the practical downsides that his inept leadership is inflicting on the country. Candidate Trump in 2016 was a guilt-free thumb in the eye of the establishment, but now the voting base has been living in his world for 4 years, and it kinda sucks, even if he's your guy.

But who knows anymore. Anything can happen.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 17th September 2020 at 05:36 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 05:12 AM   #347
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Election forecasts sem to range from about 75%-90+%. Granted, even a 1/5 chance of Trump winning four more years is terrifying, but at least the odds are heavily in our favour.

Things can go both ways the last month or so before election night, but I predict the October surprises this year will be more damaging for Trump than for Biden. The leaks and tell-all books so far have been pretty damning, I can only imagine what people might still be sitting on.
I expect that Trump will do something with a vaccine like he did with blood plasma and it will be a non-event. Worse, it will be a non-event that makes people not trust the vaccine. People don't want an announcement, they want a safe and effective vaccination. He's cried wolf too many times since this started for anything he says to impress anyone but his base and he can't win with just his base.
Old 17th September 2020, 05:15 AM   #348
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My big fear is the Democratic... well not strategy pers se because that's a separate and distinct thing but "winning narrative" is "Well guys we did it. We finally got mad enough at the guy who was elected to get us mad that we have to win." A lot of the Democratic language really does seem to revolve around some variation on "Look how bad things have gotten" as some sort of negative for Trump. Basically they are far too often running against a known admitted troll with a know admitted troll base by screaming about how angry he makes them.

Again all the drama, all the hatred, all the damage is not hurting Trump in the same way it would hurt a normal good or even normal bad or even "stupid crazy evil within normal parameters" President.

Again is any of this for certain? No. 2016 was literally a game of inches in about 3 counties and the last 4 years have not be stabilizing for sure.
Old 17th September 2020, 05:30 AM   #349
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

"@CookPolitical moves AZ's 11 Electoral votes from Toss Up to Lean D"

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/statu...72762127962112

That would be big: since WW2, Arizona voted only once for the Democratic candidate (in 1996).

Last edited by Firestone; 17th September 2020 at 05:33 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 05:39 AM   #350
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again I'm not as worried about Biden not winning as I am about Biden winning and Trump just going "LOL no."

Assuming (hopefully not naively) that the major pollsters have adjusted for their errors in 2016 it seems that Biden at least has the "Blue Wall" back that Hillary lost, so 270+ in the EC seems likely. Not certain, but likely.
Old 17th September 2020, 05:59 AM   #351
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again I'm not as worried about Biden not winning as I am about Biden winning and Trump just going "LOL no."

Assuming (hopefully not naively) that the major pollsters have adjusted for their errors in 2016 it seems that Biden at least has the "Blue Wall" back that Hillary lost, so 270+ in the EC seems likely. Not certain, but likely.
Joe Biden is Running an Invisible Digital Campaign in All-Important Michigan. That's Making Some Democrats Nervous

Quote:
The Biden campaign in Michigan refused to confirm the location of any physical field offices despite repeated requests; they say they have “supply centers” for handing out signs, but would not confirm those locations. The campaign also declined to say how many of their Michigan staff were physically located here. Biden’s field operation in this all-important state is being run through the Michigan Democratic Party’s One Campaign, which is also not doing physical canvassing or events at the moment. When I ask Biden campaign staffers and Democratic Party officials how many people they have on the ground in Michigan, one reply stuck out: “What do you mean by ‘on the ground?'”
https://time.com/5889093/joe-biden-michigan-campaign/

Biden seems to be a taking a "light touch" to the pivotal swing state Michigan. What could go wrong?
Old 17th September 2020, 06:02 AM   #352
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I know. You're mad Biden is the candidate. We all know.

Can you stop wanting him to fail though?
Old 17th September 2020, 06:03 AM   #353
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The big Unsolicited Ballot States should give it up NOW, before it is too late, and ask people to go to the Polling Booths and, like always before, VOTE. Otherwise, MAYHEM!!! Solicited Ballots (absentee) are OK.
@foxandfriends

Because of the new and unprecedented massive amount of unsolicited ballots which will be sent to “voters”, or wherever, this year, the Nov 3rd Election result may NEVER BE ACCURATELY DETERMINED, which is what some want. Another election disaster yesterday. Stop Ballot Madness!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 06:04 AM   #354
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He's still on about some imaginary difference between absentee ballots and voting by mail isn't he?
Old 17th September 2020, 06:09 AM   #355
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I know. You're mad Biden is the candidate. We all know.

Can you stop wanting him to fail though?
I don't want him to fail, I deeply suspect he will fail. There's a difference.

We're all in the same boat, the difference is I have no confidence in the captain.
Old 17th September 2020, 06:14 AM   #356
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You cannot be serious.
Amazing, isnt it? From my perspective, he's far worse than my worst fear. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.
Old 17th September 2020, 06:15 AM   #357
Firestone

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The big Unsolicited Ballot States should give it up NOW, before it is too late, and ask people to go to the Polling Booths and, like always before, VOTE. Otherwise, MAYHEM!!! Solicited Ballots (absentee) are OK.
@foxandfriends

Because of the new and unprecedented massive amount of unsolicited ballots which will be sent to “voters”, or wherever, this year, the Nov 3rd Election result may NEVER BE ACCURATELY DETERMINED, which is what some want. Another election disaster yesterday. Stop Ballot Madness!
"Trump campaign strategy now clear: he’s running against the election itself."

https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/1306563202470248448
Old 17th September 2020, 06:20 AM   #358
Mader Levap
Muse

Yep. Totally serious.
You are in denial then. As other said: yay, USA is not literal hellscape yet. That's your argument? Hilarious.

With partisan blinders these experiences do not mean much.
Old 17th September 2020, 06:20 AM   #359
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
"Trump campaign strategy now clear: he’s running against the election itself."

https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/1306563202470248448
BUT NOBODY SUGGEST THAT HE WON'T STEP DOWN IF HE LOSES! WE WOULDN'T WANT TO BE "DRAMATIC" OR ANYTHING!
Old 17th September 2020, 06:24 AM   #360
Firestone

BUT NOBODY SUGGEST THAT HE WON'T STEP DOWN IF HE LOSES! WE WOULDN'T WANT TO BE "DRAMATIC" OR ANYTHING!
Well, at least the Biden campaign prepares for the worst.

Quote:
Democrat Joe Biden is assembling a team of top lawyers in anticipation of court challenges to the election process that could ultimately determine who wins the race for the White House.

Biden’s presidential campaign says the legal war room will work to ensure that elections are properly administered and votes correctly counted. It will also seek to combat voter suppression at the polls, identify foreign interference and misinformation, and educate voters on the different methods available for casting ballots.

The effort, which the Biden campaign described as the largest election protection program in presidential campaign history, reflects the extent of the preparation underway for an already divisive presidential contest in November that could produce significant, perhaps even decisive, court cases over voter access and the legitimacy of mail ballots.

https://apnews.com/abc9a144ca6314471a44fb9b87196bac

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics