ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 1st September 2020, 02:36 PM   #81
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wonder if Ivanka or Jared ever cringe at the anti-Semitism coming from so many white supremacy advocates. Also, though Israel may back Trump, I imagine many American Jews look askance at Trump's acceptance of support from neo-Nazis. And what are Israelis to make of support from End Times evangelicals who see Israel as necessary to biblical prophecy?....
Doubt it bothers them, they probably see the white supremacists as votes for Daddy.

But I'm also reminded that Kissinger overlooked Nixon's blatant anti-Semitism.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 02:47 PM   #82
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that two weeks is a long time in politics.

Three weeks is even longer, and this post was 3 weeks ago:

Originally Posted by Moi
Just a little nightmare scenario for you.

1 Trump will be seen as saviour by a lot of people for issuing the exec order on payment. They will see McConnell thanking Trump and blame the Dems for the delay.

2 Covid has peaked in USA, and rates will continue to fall, at least until the election. He will be smugly claiming to have been right all along.

3 The Dow & NASDAQ will set new records, thereby allowing Trump to praise himself over it.

4 Unemployment will drop by massive amounts by November, allowing him another easy victory to trumpet.

5 Biden stays doing the responsible thing, masked up at home as Trump recommences cheering rallies.

6 Four more years.
1 - ?

2 - Covid peaking.

When I suggested that, there were many posts pooh-poohing the idea.

Yet, 2 days later, the US infection rate is down 40% from its peak. Deaths, lagging, are down only 10% from its recent surge.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't keep dropping.

3 - NASDAQ, check, Dow, very close.

4 - you can bet unemployment will be dropping sharply, simply because more places are open.

5 - check

There's also a very important new point - riots and looting driving support for Trump, with a genuinely large change in both Biden v Trump and Trump's approval rating in the past couple of days. I don't see any other reason for the change, and it's pretty likely that perceived violence on the streets drives support for authoritarianism.

6 - ...

Sleep well.
Old 1st September 2020, 02:49 PM   #83
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Guess what the "secret word" is for today.
How did George Floyd die, again? Oh yeah... he was choked.
Just had to create this for Twitter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200526-weill-cop-follow-tease_rftkno.jpg (108.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 1st September 2020, 02:52 PM   #84
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump begins his interview with Laura Ingraham by saying "Portland has been burning for many years, for decades it's been burning,"
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

We didn't start the fire, sorry, couldn't help it.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 02:55 PM   #85
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just had to create this for Twitter.
I know, what was up with that? At first I thought he meant the police choked people. But he was talking about police who chicken out or something and let some rounds fly.

Old 1st September 2020, 02:59 PM   #86
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that two weeks is a long time in politics.

Three weeks is even longer, and this post was 3 weeks ago:

1 - ?

2 - Covid peaking.

When I suggested that, there were many posts pooh-poohing the idea.

Yet, 2 days later, the US infection rate is down 40% from its peak. Deaths, lagging, are down only 10% from its recent surge.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't keep dropping.

3 - NASDAQ, check, Dow, very close.

4 - you can bet unemployment will be dropping sharply, simply because more places are open.

5 - check

There's also a very important new point - riots and looting driving support for Trump, with a genuinely large change in both Biden v Trump and Trump's approval rating in the past couple of days. I don't see any other reason for the change, and it's pretty likely that perceived violence on the streets drives support for authoritarianism.

6 - ...

Sleep well.
you are funny
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 03:01 PM   #87
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Drudge didn’t support me in 2016, and I hear he doesn’t support me now. Maybe that’s why he is doing poorly. His Fake News report on Mini-Strokes is incorrect. Possibly thinking about himself, or the other party’s “candidate”.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 03:03 PM   #88
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Not even a “minor” one. Thank you!
Quote Tweet

Kurt Schlichter
@KurtSchlichter
Weird that the media seems super excited about unsupported allegations in some liberal hit-piece book that Trump had a minor health issue a year ago, yet it is entirely unconcerned with Biden's manifest dementia on display yesterday.
Weird timing too, huh?
Old 1st September 2020, 03:09 PM   #89
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

There has not. They are the Enemy of the People. TDS!
Quote Tweet

Saagar Enjeti
@esaagar
Not sure there's been a more dishonest news cycle in my lifetime twitter.com/nytimes/status…
Old 1st September 2020, 03:10 PM   #90
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

It never ends! Now they are trying to say that your favorite President, me, went to Walter Reed Medical Center, having suffered a series of mini-strokes. Never happened to THIS candidate - FAKE NEWS. Perhaps they are referring to another candidate from another Party!

I'm seeing it claimed that nobody said anything about "a series of mini-strokes", until Trump himself brought it up.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 03:28 PM   #91
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Not even a “minor” one. Thank you!
Quote Tweet

Kurt Schlichter
@KurtSchlichter
Weird that the media seems super excited about unsupported allegations in some liberal hit-piece book that Trump had a minor health issue a year ago, yet it is entirely unconcerned with Biden's manifest dementia on display yesterday.
Weird timing too, huh?
Are they SERIOUSLY trying to claim Biden's excellent speech was a sign of dementia? I feel like I'm in an episode of

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 03:29 PM   #92
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I'm seeing it claimed that nobody said anything about "a series of mini-strokes", until Trump himself brought it up.
They weren't. He's projecting again. He can't help himself.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 03:34 PM   #93
jnelso99
Muse

There's probably a sexual joke in there about Trump and "mini-strokes", but I'm not smart enough to come up with one.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 03:35 PM   #94
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
If Tiger Woods had been there it wouldn't have happened!
Interesting that Trump uses that golf example about "choking on a short putt" given how he's famous for dragging the ball into the cup with a club from distances no other golfer would drag the ball into the cup.

His golf cheating denial is just under the surface.

Old 1st September 2020, 03:38 PM   #95
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
There's probably a sexual joke in there about Trump and "mini-strokes", but I'm not smart enough to come up with one.
That's all he can manage with those teeny tiny little hands.
Old 1st September 2020, 04:07 PM   #96
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Something about you can’t take a long stroke off a short pier?
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 04:40 PM   #97
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.digitaljournal.com/intern...article/577259

So I saw the Ingram interview. Um...what the **** just happened?
Old 1st September 2020, 04:44 PM   #98
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
http://www.digitaljournal.com/intern...article/577259

So I saw the Ingram interview. Um...what the **** just happened?
Another example of our "stable genius" at work.
Old 1st September 2020, 05:18 PM   #99
SezMe
post-pre-born

I do wish he had used another word, considering 90% of the population probably wouldn't know what this one means if taken out of context.
Agreed. I wish he had included the GOP in his condemnation of Trump's racism. If the Dems don't take the Senate, Biden will be severely hampered in trying to pass legislation.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 05:22 PM   #100
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm watching Tim Murtaugh, Trump's mouthpiece, twisting himself into a pretzel trying to explain away his master's ridiculous "plane full of thugs" lie on Anderson Cooper's show. It's hysterical! He keeps trying to claim that it's 'OK' because 120 people arrested in Kenosha were from out of state so that somehow justifies the claim. He's also using the tactic of just continually talking over John (the host filling in for Cooper, don't know his last name) when he's called on the fallacy of that argument. What a slime ball.

ETA: First that flight was coming into Washington. Later today he claimed it was leaving DC. He can't even keep his own lies straight.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 1st September 2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 1st September 2020, 05:36 PM   #101
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Quote:
And you have people coming over with bags of soup — big bags of soup. And they lay it on the ground, and the anarchists take it and they start throwing it at our cops, at our police. And if it hits you, that's worse than a brick because that's got force. It's the perfect size. It's, like, made perfect.

And when they get caught, they say, 'No, this is just soup for my family.' And then the media says, 'This is just soup. These people are very, very innocent. They're innocent people. These are just protesters. Isn't it wonderful to allow protesting?'"
Umm, yeah Mr. President....

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 05:58 PM   #102
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Pence says he "doesn't recall" being put on standby during Trump's unscheduled Saturday visit to Walter Reed last November. No denial. Just "doesn't recall". That's the standard 'non-denial' used when you can't honestly deny something. He so was put on standby.
Old 1st September 2020, 06:00 PM   #103
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This is a picture of me this morning as I was going to the Fred Meyer Grocery Store.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...e9d493b611.jpg
The Fake News won't mention how clean I keep the streets. Sad!
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:13 PM   #104
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Umm, yeah Mr. President....
Is this satire or real? I can't tell anymore. Please tell me it is satire
Old 1st September 2020, 06:17 PM   #105
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Oh ******* dear.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1300909465412091906
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:18 PM   #106
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Recently uncovered footage from late July. I had to look it up myself because I assumed kookbreaker was making some obscure sitcom reference.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:19 PM   #107
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1300909465412091906
Old 1st September 2020, 06:20 PM   #108
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The full quote in the second post is just insane. It's like a 5-year-old making up a story.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:26 PM   #109
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
That's interesting because all I read was a small stroke. So now we know, the diagnosis was a series of mini-strokes. They probably put him on anti-coags.

Old 1st September 2020, 06:27 PM   #110
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Pence says he "doesn't recall" being put on standby during Trump's unscheduled Saturday visit to Walter Reed last November. No denial. Just "doesn't recall". That's the standard 'non-denial' used when you can't honestly deny something. He so was put on standby.
And it's on record.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:29 PM   #111
carlitos
"más divertido"

The Trump Presidency: Part 25

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
The full quote in the second post is just insane. It's like a 5-year-old making up a story.

Was that around the time of the cement milkshakes?

In Bad Boys, Sean Penn used cans of Soda in a pillowcase as a weapon. Bags of soup, sheesh.

Last edited by carlitos; 1st September 2020 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Quote
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:30 PM   #112
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's interesting because all I read was a small stroke. So now we know, the diagnosis was a series of mini-strokes. They probably put him on anti-coags.
I think that's likely. When my mom had a TIA, she had another shortly thereafter. I think he inadvertently let out more info.
Old 1st September 2020, 06:31 PM   #113
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
This is the first I'm seeing this, missed it completely back whenever.
It starts as "cans" of soup. Sounds nasty, and effective (I'd go with the little single serving veg though... you could carry a lot more of those. ) but he goes immediately to "bags" of soup.
WTF?
Really... what the actual? Bags? Where did that thought even come from?

TIAs baby. Walter Reed and TIAs, it's gonna come out.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:32 PM   #114
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm watching Tim Murtaugh, Trump's mouthpiece, twisting himself into a pretzel trying to explain away his master's ridiculous "plane full of thugs" lie on Anderson Cooper's show. It's hysterical! He keeps trying to claim that it's 'OK' because 120 people arrested in Kenosha were from out of state so that somehow justifies the claim. He's also using the tactic of just continually talking over John (the host filling in for Cooper, don't know his last name) when he's called on the fallacy of that argument. What a slime ball.

ETA: First that flight was coming into Washington. Later today he claimed it was leaving DC. He can't even keep his own lies straight.
So all the thugs from all over just happen to be connecting through a DC hub?

Old 1st September 2020, 06:33 PM   #115
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I would have guessed Atlanta, to be honest.

:ducks:

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:35 PM   #116
carlitos
"más divertido"

Maybe they are using Soros’ United miles and have to go through a hub to get the saver rate.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:36 PM   #117
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Come on, USA. You have a big, beautiful, powerful constitution, and the 25th Amendment in that big, beautiful, powerful constitution deals with removing a president who can no longer president properly.

Just bite the big, beautiful, powerful bullet and ditch the raving moron. It's getting to the stage that he can't even dress or toilet himself. Because this **** just keeps on dribbling out of him in public. It's embarrassing for everyone, and bad for your country.

Fix it.

Now.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:38 PM   #118
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Agreed. I wish he had included the GOP in his condemnation of Trump's racism. If the Dems don't take the Senate, Biden will be severely hampered in trying to pass legislation.
Biden's facing-off with Trump at the national level : Senate seats are a State-level subject. It's up to the State Democratic Party to point up the connection.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2020, 06:39 PM   #119
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Maybe they are using Soros’ United miles and have to go through a hub to get the saver rate.
It can't be Soros because Trump said Biden is being controlled by people on the streets 'you've never heard of'.

Old 1st September 2020, 06:41 PM   #120
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

It can't be Soros because Trump said Biden is being controlled by people on the streets 'you've never heard of'.
But Trump apparently HAS heard of them. Shady underworld characters are the very type of people he mixes with, and has done for decades.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics