ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa conspiracies , Turning Point USA

Old 10th September 2020, 07:50 AM   #1
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Right wingers CT that "antifa" is starting west coast wildfires.

As wildfires grow across the west coast here in the US, right wing conspiracies are spreading across facebook claiming that anarchists and/or antifa are seen setting the fires.

Calls for violence are growing, with many calls for "shoot on sight" for "suspicious" people.

Facebook has become a den of conspiracy theories cooked up to justify right wing violence.

As more and more become displaced by the fires, the danger of facebook-poisoned boomers taking direct violent action against "antifa arsonists" will become greater.

https://twitter.com/LincolnGraves/st...03643150610433

https://www.facebook.com/MedfordPoli...96916293848945

Claims are being spread by notorious right wing propaganda outlet "Turning Point USA".

https://twitter.com/SethCotlar/statu...32100442087426

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th September 2020 at 07:57 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Distracted1
Illuminator

Is possible, I guess.
Could be any motivated bad actors just as easily though.

Amazing to think how enormously vulnerable the region is to such a simple to implement form of attack(?) vandalism(?).
Old 10th September 2020, 08:15 AM   #3
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
As wildfires grow across the west coast here in the US, right wing conspiracies are spreading across facebook claiming that anarchists and/or antifa are seen setting the fires.

Calls for violence are growing, with many calls for "shoot on sight" for "suspicious" people.

Facebook has become a den of conspiracy theories cooked up to justify right wing violence.

As more and more become displaced by the fires, the danger of facebook-poisoned boomers taking direct violent action against "antifa arsonists" will become greater.

Claims are being spread by notorious right wing propaganda outlet "Turning Point USA".

I heard it was a gender reveal event of all things at least in part
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 08:57 AM   #4
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

And a platform for selectively edited videos of LE incidents (out of context) intended to suggest instances of police misconduct.

There's propaganda on FB for every audience.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 10:26 AM   #5
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
And a platform for selectively edited videos of LE incidents (out of context) intended to suggest instances of police misconduct.

There's propaganda on FB for every audience.
True. There's no need to fake videos of police brutality and misconduct, as there are plenty of real ones.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 10:32 AM   #6
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I read about about one person "with tattoos' spotted being seen setting a fire in Oregon, but the fire was put out quickly by people in the area. He was driving a green pickup. He didn't wait around to provide us with his political position.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:36 AM   #7
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What constitutes "suspicious" people? Would those be anyone of color or maybe perhaps anyone wearing a mask?
Old 10th September 2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Axxman300
Illuminator

In the case of one of the THREE fires in my county, the Dolan Fire was started by this guy:

https://calcoasttimes.com/2020/08/21...-near-big-sur/

It is believed to be related to an illegal marijuana grow.

There here is the Gender Reveal fiasco which started one in SoCal. The irony is that this year PG&E hasn't been a suspect.

There are 39 million people in California. 1/4 of them are morons and they are evenly distributed across the state. This means that on any given Red-Flag day you will see idiots flicking cigarettes from their moving cars, tow-chains draging on the asphalt creating showers of sparks, folks pulling thier vehicles off the road to park in tall dry grass which comes in contact with their hot exhaust system, and a list of other things which demonstrate that a dangerous number of people do not understand fire.

Antifa is just a paper tiger. They're like the KISS Army, anyone can say they're a member, there are no standards, no goals, and no leadership (KISS didn't start the KISS Army, they just sell them stuff).
Old 10th September 2020, 12:56 PM   #9
Bubba
Illuminator

There is little evidence the Communist's urban and rural arson plan is yet implemented by the violent communist revolutionary group Antifa.

The widespread arson plan promoted by Robert F. Williams in The Crusader surely contributed to govt witness Manning Johnson's disillusionment with the American Communist Party, along with the Party's plan for black Americans to unite into a separate, autonomous republic in the American South.

In recent years, it seems the forest arsonists are some of the non-Antifa mentally ill.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 01:31 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I don't suppose this is likely to put a dent in their CT?

"A man who was arrested this week in connection with starting one of the massive wildfires in California has a history of promoting alt-right conspiracy theories.

Forrest Gordon Clark, who local authorities have arrested and charged with two counts of felony arson and felony threatening to terrorize, spread a series of alt-right conspiracies on his personal Facebook page."

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...has-history-of

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 04:06 PM   #11
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

"A man who was arrested this week in connection with starting one of the massive wildfires in California has a history of promoting alt-right conspiracy theories.

Forrest Gordon Clark, who local authorities have arrested and charged with two counts of felony arson and felony threatening to terrorize, spread a series of alt-right conspiracies on his personal Facebook page."

An antifa false-flag op, obviously.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 04:10 PM   #12
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Yes you beat me too it - its so transparent!

Unless it was Alt-right person disguised as a Antifa acting as a Alt-right person pretending to be an Antifa who was acting as Alt-rightpretending to be .....

Last edited by Hans; 10th September 2020 at 04:24 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 04:32 PM   #13
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post

Unless it was Alt-right person disguised as a Antifa acting as a Alt-right person pretending to be an Antifa who was acting as Alt-rightpretending to be .....

You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 05:51 PM   #14
crescent
Illuminator

Quote:
Right wingers CT that "antifa" is starting west coast wildfires.
The U.S. Forest Service is declaring that the fires are due to a heretofore unknown group called "antifo" . Anti-Forest.

That's a weak, weak pun. But when I first saw it I laughed a bit.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 11:11 PM   #15
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Originally Posted by Hans View Post

Yup, devilishly clever these Antifa types; they had a person posing as a alt-right CT merchant for years before Antifa was even a thing, hoping that one day, Antifa would be a thing and they could use their fake alt-right plant to run a false flag operation against a state that Trump regards as an enemy...........

Oh, hold on a moment.........

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 12:52 AM   #16
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What constitutes "suspicious" people? Would those be anyone of color or maybe perhaps anyone wearing a mask?
"You're Not From Around Here."

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
True. There's no need to fake videos of police brutality and misconduct, as there are plenty of real ones.
And plenty of misconduct and brutality to record.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 06:12 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by some twitter rando
Apparantly I came very close to being shot by a group of 'vigilantes' from my hometown tonight... My partner and I were followed in his car, people were posting his license plate all over various community pages, making multiple reports to the police. After a conversation Police officers from the town, we were alerted that people were out in the area armed and looking for us. Lots of threats... For what you ask? They thought we were the antifa members starting fires... To be clear, we were taking pictures of the already raging fires in the area...
https://twitter.com/JenMP96/status/1303990870639665152

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-antifa-rumors

Multiple journalist covering the fires reporting being accosted, sometimes by armed people, with accusations that they are antifa arsonists.

https://twitter.com/R3volutionDaddy/...48135288221696

https://twitter.com/MrOlmos/status/1304225723029176321

Facebook poisoned right wingers are out there hunting for antifa arsonists. What could go wrong?

Right wingers and conspiracy theories spreading modern day blood libel. Name a more iconic duo.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th September 2020 at 06:19 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 07:04 AM   #18
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Apparently some of the confusion among right wing dimwits is caused by the common use of "BLM" over the emergency radio system.

This of course is in reference to the Bureau of Land Management, the federal agency that controls large swaths of undeveloped land in the areas on fire, and not Black Lives Matter protesters.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:00 AM   #19
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
The U.S. Forest Service is declaring that the fires are due to a heretofore unknown group called "antifo" . Anti-Forest.

That's a weak, weak pun. But when I first saw it I laughed a bit.
First one of you that calls police 'antifro', so help me God...
Old 11th September 2020, 08:55 AM   #20
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/JenMP96/status/1303990870639665152

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-antifa-rumors

Multiple journalist covering the fires reporting being accosted, sometimes by armed people, with accusations that they are antifa arsonists.

https://twitter.com/R3volutionDaddy/...48135288221696

https://twitter.com/MrOlmos/status/1304225723029176321

Facebook poisoned right wingers are out there hunting for antifa arsonists. What could go wrong?

Right wingers and conspiracy theories spreading modern day blood libel. Name a more iconic duo.
I can't find any of the news stories indicating these militia members are being arrested. That's unfortunate.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:59 AM   #21
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
In the case of one of the THREE fires in my county, the Dolan Fire was started by this guy:

https://calcoasttimes.com/2020/08/21...-near-big-sur/

It is believed to be related to an illegal marijuana grow.

There here is the Gender Reveal fiasco which started one in SoCal. The irony is that this year PG&E hasn't been a suspect.

There are 39 million people in California. 1/4 of them are morons and they are evenly distributed across the state. This means that on any given Red-Flag day you will see idiots flicking cigarettes from their moving cars, tow-chains draging on the asphalt creating showers of sparks, folks pulling thier vehicles off the road to park in tall dry grass which comes in contact with their hot exhaust system, and a list of other things which demonstrate that a dangerous number of people do not understand fire.

Antifa is just a paper tiger. They're like the KISS Army, anyone can say they're a member, there are no standards, no goals, and no leadership (KISS didn't start the KISS Army, they just sell them stuff).
Has anyone ever heard of a gender reveal party going well? The best case scenario is that you're stuck at an awkward event, forced to look at pictures of fetal genitalia and eat sticky sweet cake with sticky sweet buttercream frosting. Worst case, you and the other guests flee for your lives from an out of control wildfire. This just needs to stop.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:19 AM   #22
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe gender reveals showing only green and serving tofu?
Old 11th September 2020, 11:17 AM   #23
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

It won't. They're like islamophobes. Every Islamist terrorist attack is bullet-proof evidence Islam is a violent religion, while every far-right attack is an isolated incident that means nothing.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 11:35 AM   #24
Venom
Illuminator

Apparently some of the confusion among right wing dimwits is caused by the common use of "BLM" over the emergency radio system.

This of course is in reference to the Bureau of Land Management, the federal agency that controls large swaths of undeveloped land in the areas on fire, and not Black Lives Matter protesters.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 12:39 PM   #25
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

The Portland branch of the FBI is putting out a very strong statement saying the claims of extremist arsonists starting fires out in Oregon is untrue.

Seems that pretty much everyone is very disturbed by the prospect of these panicked morons committing vigilante murder because Facebook said so.
Old 11th September 2020, 12:55 PM   #26
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The lie originated from a Qtip and was spread by a failed Republican candidate in Oregon.
Old 11th September 2020, 12:58 PM   #27
carlitos
"más divertido"

This is my not shocked face.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 02:47 PM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Right-wingers on my wife's Facebook are blaming our governor. Apparently for not raking the forests or something.
Old 11th September 2020, 03:35 PM   #29
Axxman300
Illuminator

The Portland branch of the FBI is putting out a very strong statement saying the claims of extremist arsonists starting fires out in Oregon is untrue.
Obviously this means the FBI is starting the fires.
Old 11th September 2020, 05:01 PM   #30
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

It's been thoroughly investigated and conclusively proven that antifa didn't start any of the fires in the United States--not even accidentally. I don't know if antifa knows where to buy fire or how to install it. They probably don't even know what it is.

I heard it was Nazis who were starting the forest fires.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 06:00 PM   #31
Allen773
Graduate Poster

I thought it was the CIA.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 06:01 PM   #32
Allen773
Graduate Poster

How dare you, sir!
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 10:05 PM   #33
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, its all there in the acronym

Federal Bureau of Inflagration

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
I thought it was the CIA.
Nope, that's the Central Incendiary Agency, they only light fires between the Eastern states and the Rockies

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th September 2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11th September 2020, 10:12 PM   #34
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a gender reveal party going well? The best case scenario is that you're stuck at an awkward event, forced to look at pictures of fetal genitalia and eat sticky sweet cake with sticky sweet buttercream frosting. Worst case, you and the other guests flee for your lives from an out of control wildfire. This just needs to stop.
Plus it's premature. A person's gender can't be known for sure until the child can talk and tell us if it's a boy or a girl or both or neither or somewhere in between.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 10:18 PM   #35
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Antifa is just a paper tiger.
Antifa is a racing yacht?

Old 12th September 2020, 12:48 AM   #36
Bubba
Illuminator

Whether its your Communist Antifa's violent urban arsonist "Peaceful (cnn) FIERY protests", or the peaceful, loving Koran-icky grass roots loving ISIS guys 'n gals, the point is there is nothing to see there.

Fuggettaboutt the American Commie party's 1920 published plans to *burn rural and urban America* because your blindness.

New ISIS video calls for arson attacks on U.S.

As usual, do carry on joking while pretending you dont see .

https://abc7chicago.com/isis-coronav...ttack/6339412/

Last edited by Bubba; 12th September 2020 at 12:49 AM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 12:51 AM   #37
Bubba
Illuminator

As always...

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
A person's gender can't be known for sure until the child can talk and tell us if it's a boy or a girl or both or neither or somewhere in between.
Right
Old 12th September 2020, 02:49 AM   #38
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Whether its your Communist Antifa's violent urban arsonist "Peaceful (cnn) FIERY protests", or the peaceful, loving Koran-icky grass roots loving ISIS guys 'n gals, the point is there is nothing to see there.

Fuggettaboutt the American Commie party's 1920 published plans to *burn rural and urban America* because your blindness.

But did any of those people start the fires in Oregon?
Old 12th September 2020, 03:51 AM   #39
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

Fascinating. Atheist communists from the 1920s are joining forces with religious fundamentalists from the 21st century. What a happy alliance that must be.
Can you please provide a cite for this claim about the American Communist Party's call for a campaign of arson? I'm asking, because yesterday you were blaming Robert F Williams, who was only born in 1925, and, unless he was a true child prodigy, was unlikely to have been involved in this. I can't find a reference to this claimed call for arson from the American Communist Party, nor for its adoption by antifa,so linky please.
I also note that the ISIS call, as detailed in your link, is for violent criminal actions against Western civilisation.
Where does Communism come from, Bubba?
As a final point, I note you are once again using the mainstream media you claim to loathe and distrust, as your source. First square on my BubbaBingo card crossed out. Thanks!
Old 12th September 2020, 09:24 AM   #40
Bubba
Illuminator

Merely a lone pyro psycho, not politically motivated

https://amgreatness.com/2020/09/10/l...her-wildfires/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories