ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa conspiracies , Turning Point USA

Reply
Old 12th September 2020, 09:30 AM   #41
Bubba
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,865
Asking for link reveals

a) knows how to use search engine but doesnt want to see truth.

b) pretending he will not search, then searches and sees the truth, then never admits he saw the truth.

c) already knew the truth, seeks attention by asking for link
Bubba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 09:52 AM   #42
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,548
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
...There here is the Gender Reveal fiasco which started one in SoCal. The irony is that this year PG&E hasn't been a suspect.
A couple years ago in Arizona, a really large (nearly fifty thousand acres) brush fire was sparked by a Border Patrol agent setting off explosives at a gender reveal party. (I mention his occupation because, dadgumit, you’d think a Border Patrol agent in the Southwest would have some sense about the dangers of fire in the area.)

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
There are 39 million people in California. 1/4 of them are morons and they are evenly distributed across the state. This means that on any given Red-Flag day you will see idiots flicking cigarettes from their moving cars, tow-chains draging on the asphalt creating showers of sparks, folks pulling thier vehicles off the road to park in tall dry grass which comes in contact with their hot exhaust system...
Ha, we once ran a call for a guy who burned up his Range Rover in precisely that fashion.

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Antifa is just a paper tiger. They're like the KISS Army, anyone can say they're a member, there are no standards, no goals, and no leadership...
But they’re a great all-purpose bogeyman for the gullible cult that is Trumpism/“Q”/etc. Antifa is Due on Maple Street.

Last edited by sts60; 12th September 2020 at 09:57 AM.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 11:46 AM   #43
Bubba
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,865
Right wing nut caught in the act.

Portland Man CAUGHT Trying To Ignite Hotel Gas Line, DA Sued For Political Bias Against The Right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyrv-Arr_mE
Bubba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 12:01 PM   #44
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,076
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Merely a lone pyro psycho, not politically motivated

https://amgreatness.com/2020/09/10/l...her-wildfires/
That's just some stupid Q rag. That's nothing.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 12:26 PM   #45
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,646
Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
I thought it was the CIA.
If you're a Qananus they work together in Deep State land.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 12:29 PM   #46
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,646
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Antifa is a racing yacht?
It was always a racing yacht.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 12:31 PM   #47
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,646
Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
How dare you, sir!
KISS Army has better t-shirts.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 12:48 PM   #48
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,646
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Whether its your Communist Antifa's violent urban arsonist "Peaceful (cnn) FIERY protests", or the peaceful, loving Koran-icky grass roots loving ISIS guys 'n gals, the point is there is nothing to see there.
Yes, we know Muslims scare you. We also know you love violence when it suits your political world view. You are no different than the rioters.


Quote:
Fuggettaboutt the American Commie party's 1920 published plans to *burn rural and urban America* because your blindness.
99 years ago? That's slow even by communist standards...Wait, do they have a Stargate? Tell me they have a Stargate and they're working with the Reptilians.

Quote:
New ISIS video calls for arson attacks on U.S.
Problem is that ISIS isn't as cool with the socially displaced as they were a few years ago.

Quote:
As usual, do carry on joking while pretending you dont see .
It's not that we don't see it. We refuse to take you seriously.

90% of wildfires are caused by people. Certainly someone of your advanced age remembers Smokey the Bear. Some fires have been started with malicious intent - this is documented - while many more are caused by careless humans. Everyone posting on this thread ALREADY KNOWS THIS.

If the fires in Oregon were deliberately set we will know in a few weeks. The state forestry, Federal forestry, and CalFire have outstanding investigative arms. They will report the truth as they always have. Most mountain and rural communities are small and close-knit making meaning that witnesses always come forward, and arrests are usually made.

Meanwhile, you are simply yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater. So yes, we make fun of you.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 12:48 PM   #49
Bubba
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,865
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That's just some stupid Q rag. That's nothing.

Uh-oh...







https://thepostmillennial.com/antifa...-in-washington

https://tennesseestar.com/2020/09/12...her-wildfires/

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...245659120.html

https://theohiostar.com/tag/jeff-acord/

https://themichiganstar.com/tag/jeff-acord/

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/hig...OBTVST67I3YIE/


Police in Spokane, Washington, arrested 36-year-old Christine Comello for allegedly starting at least two fires in the area, KHQ reported.

The Lane County Sheriff’s Office (LCSO) in Oregon announced in a Facebook post on Sept. 1 that it had arrested 44-year-old Elias Newton Pendergrass on a first-degree arson charge in connection with the Sweet Creek Fires.

Washington State Patrol (WSP) District 1 Public Information Officer Trooper Ryan Burke announced in a tweet on Wednesday that officers from multiple jurisdictions apprehended a 36-year-old man for setting a fire in the median of SR-167 in Puyallup. The Gateway Pundit identified the suspect as Jeffrey Accord, a local Black Lives Matter activist.

In California, highway patrol troopers arrested 37-year-old Anita Esquivel for allegedly starting an unspecified number of fires in the area of Highway 101 near Boronda Road at about 9 a.m. on Monday, KION reported.


https://bluelivesmatter.blue/police-...ast-wildfires/

Last edited by Bubba; 12th September 2020 at 01:15 PM.
Bubba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 12:57 PM   #50
Bubba
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
by Bubba
Whether its your Communist Antifa's violent urban arsonist "Peaceful (cnn) FIERY protests", or the peaceful, loving Koran-icky grass roots loving ISIS guys 'n gals, the point is there is nothing to see there.


Fuggettaboutt the American Commie party's 1920 published plans to *burn rural and urban America* because your blindness.

New ISIS video calls for arson attacks on U.S.

As usual, do carry on joking while pretending you dont see .

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
But did any of those people start the fires in Oregon?
Probably not. ...and of course there is every reason to attack the logic commie antifa being aware of the commie burn plans back in the twenties.

Surely, commie antifa clowns never heard about that commie publication promoting *burn rural and urban America*...nor would it ever occur to antifa to crash planes into buildings use fire as part of their terrorist agenda, be it in cities or rural areas.

(that was Condoleeza Rice who said it never occurred to anyone that terrorists would crash planes into buildings, even though it was already part of war gaming scenarios around that time.)

Last edited by Bubba; 12th September 2020 at 01:11 PM.
Bubba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 01:20 PM   #51
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Elagabalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,262
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post




https://thepostmillennial.com/antifa...-in-washington

https://tennesseestar.com/2020/09/12...her-wildfires/

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...245659120.html

https://theohiostar.com/tag/jeff-acord/

https://themichiganstar.com/tag/jeff-acord/

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/hig...OBTVST67I3YIE/


Police in Spokane, Washington, arrested 36-year-old Christine Comello for allegedly starting at least two fires in the area, KHQ reported.

The Lane County Sheriff’s Office (LCSO) in Oregon announced in a Facebook post on Sept. 1 that it had arrested 44-year-old Elias Newton Pendergrass on a first-degree arson charge in connection with the Sweet Creek Fires.

Washington State Patrol (WSP) District 1 Public Information Officer Trooper Ryan Burke announced in a tweet on Wednesday that officers from multiple jurisdictions apprehended a 36-year-old man for setting a fire in the median of SR-167 in Puyallup. The Gateway Pundit identified the suspect as Jeffrey Accord, a local Black Lives Matter activist.

In California, highway patrol troopers arrested 37-year-old Anita Esquivel for allegedly starting an unspecified number of fires in the area of Highway 101 near Boronda Road at about 9 a.m. on Monday, KION reported.


https://bluelivesmatter.blue/police-...ast-wildfires/


*clicks on Blue lives matter link*

Quote:
In California, highway patrol troopers arrested 37-year-old Anita Esquivel for allegedly starting an unspecified number of fires in the area of Highway 101 near Boronda Road at about 9 a.m. on Monday, KION reported.
*Clicks on KION link*

Quote:
UPDATE 9/11/2020 2:20 p.m. The Monterey County District Attorney's Office tells KION that they have no information or evidence suggesting that a woman accused of intentionally starting fires on Highway 101 has any connection to Antifa.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 01:33 PM   #52
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 15,121
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post


*clicks on Blue lives matter link*



*Clicks on KION link*

Brilliant. Talk about shooting himself in the foot!

Bubba's just like most of the right wing CT's here - posts links without reading them thoroughly.
__________________
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th September 2020 at 01:37 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 04:22 PM   #53
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 22,779
It’s also not shocking that he reads the Post-Millennial. That’s one of those shady link aggregator websites with far right fringe connections.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 04:36 PM   #54
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,076
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Uh-oh...







https://thepostmillennial.com/antifa...-in-washington

https://tennesseestar.com/2020/09/12...her-wildfires/

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...245659120.html

https://theohiostar.com/tag/jeff-acord/

https://themichiganstar.com/tag/jeff-acord/

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/hig...OBTVST67I3YIE/


Police in Spokane, Washington, arrested 36-year-old Christine Comello for allegedly starting at least two fires in the area, KHQ reported.

The Lane County Sheriff’s Office (LCSO) in Oregon announced in a Facebook post on Sept. 1 that it had arrested 44-year-old Elias Newton Pendergrass on a first-degree arson charge in connection with the Sweet Creek Fires.

Washington State Patrol (WSP) District 1 Public Information Officer Trooper Ryan Burke announced in a tweet on Wednesday that officers from multiple jurisdictions apprehended a 36-year-old man for setting a fire in the median of SR-167 in Puyallup. The Gateway Pundit identified the suspect as Jeffrey Accord, a local Black Lives Matter activist.

In California, highway patrol troopers arrested 37-year-old Anita Esquivel for allegedly starting an unspecified number of fires in the area of Highway 101 near Boronda Road at about 9 a.m. on Monday, KION reported.


https://bluelivesmatter.blue/police-...ast-wildfires/
I only see one of these people having a connection to BLM. What you can't establish is a link to the fire and BLM. You can only say there's an indication the person participated in BLM and started the fire. Not the same thing.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 09:28 PM   #55
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 12,099
It's a Nazi tradition:

Quote:
"On the occasion of a lunch on the Führer's birthday in 1943, the people around the Führer turned the conversation to the Reichstag building and its artistic value. I heard with my own ears how Göring broke into the conversation and shouted: 'The only one who really knows about the Reichstag building is I, for I set fire to it.' And saying this he slapped his thigh"
Reichstag Fire: Göring's commentary (Wiki)
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 11:38 PM   #56
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,850
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Uh-oh...
Facebook to take down false reports of antifa arson in Oregon
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...regon-n1239966

Poor Bubba. You just can't get anything right can you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q-Anon media team.jpg (86.3 KB, 6 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 11:46 PM   #57
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 15,121
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Facebook to take down false reports of antifa arson in Oregon
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...regon-n1239966

Poor Bubba. You just can't get anything right can you?
Very important point here from that link

"We are removing false claims that the wildfires in Oregon were started by certain groups," Facebook spokesman Andy Stone tweeted. "This is based on confirmation from law enforcement that these rumors are forcing local fire and police agencies to divert resources from fighting the fires and protecting the public."

Here is a perfect exmaple of where a conspiracy theory isn't just a harmless set of false rumours - it is directly putting members of the public in danger.
__________________
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 11:57 PM   #58
Guss
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 16
Looks like Terror (BLM/Antifa) sympathizers are trying to protect the criminals of our society, naughty naughty.
Guss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 03:38 AM   #59
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,589
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Asking for link reveals

a) knows how to use search engine but doesnt want to see truth.

b) pretending he will not search, then searches and sees the truth, then never admits he saw the truth.

c) already knew the truth, seeks attention by asking for link
d) your claim, your burden of proof.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 04:01 AM   #60
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,070
Originally Posted by Guss View Post
Looks like Terror (BLM/Antifa) sympathizers are trying to protect the criminals of our society, naughty naughty.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 08:39 AM   #61
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 19,376
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post


*clicks on Blue lives matter link*



*Clicks on KION link*
Oh come on.

Anita
Antifa

Can't you see they are obviously connected?
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 11:29 AM   #62
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 25,754
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Very important point here from that link

"We are removing false claims that the wildfires in Oregon were started by certain groups," Facebook spokesman Andy Stone tweeted. "This is based on confirmation from law enforcement that these rumors are forcing local fire and police agencies to divert resources from fighting the fires and protecting the public."

Here is a perfect exmaple of where a conspiracy theory isn't just a harmless set of false rumours - it is directly putting members of the public in danger.
Indeed. According to law enforcements sources a significant number of residents are defying evacuation orders as the fires approach because they've been convinced by Facebook that "antifas" are starting the fires and/or waiting right around the corner to loot their neighborhoods once they evacuate, and so they're waiting with their guns to either protect their property or in case they get a chance to kill an antifa arsonist.

Quote:
Some of the misinformation that seeped like smoke across Molalla appears to have begun when two independent videographers, Gabriel Trumbly and his partner, Jennifer Paulsen, arrived outside town at about 9 p.m. on Wednesday to capture images of the immense wildfires.

They put on press vests and gas masks that they have used while shooting video of recent protests in Portland, then walked along the rural road near where Ms. Paulsen had grown up. Mr. Trumbly said one resident was out spraying down property with water and another offered them something to drink.

They got some footage and photos of the flames before deciding to turn back, concerned about the size of the fire and the possibility that power lines could fall in the winds.

But as they returned into cellphone range, Ms. Paulsen went on to Facebook and Twitter looking for fire updates and came across a social media post that was clearly about them, describing their gas masks and vests and suggesting they had gone up the road to start a fire. The person reported trying to follow their Volkswagen sedan.

One person replied: “Are you kidding me shoot em.”

Mr. Trumbly said he pulled off to the side of the road and called the police to explain what he was seeing on social media and what they had been doing south of town. He offered to show the footage of what he captured. The couple was afraid that armed vigilantes might pursue them.

“They think I just burned their houses down and they have guns, and they are angry, and they are scared,” Mr. Trumbly said.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 13th September 2020 at 11:30 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 12:34 PM   #63
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 15,121
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Indeed. According to law enforcements sources a significant number of residents are defying evacuation orders as the fires approach because they've been convinced by Facebook that "antifas" are starting the fires and/or waiting right around the corner to loot their neighborhoods once they evacuate, and so they're waiting with their guns to either protect their property or in case they get a chance to kill an antifa arsonist.
Quote:
Some of the misinformation that seeped like smoke across Molalla appears to have begun when two independent videographers, Gabriel Trumbly and his partner, Jennifer Paulsen, arrived outside town at about 9 p.m. on Wednesday to capture images of the immense wildfires.

They put on press vests and gas masks that they have used while shooting video of recent protests in Portland, then walked along the rural road near where Ms. Paulsen had grown up. Mr. Trumbly said one resident was out spraying down property with water and another offered them something to drink.

They got some footage and photos of the flames before deciding to turn back, concerned about the size of the fire and the possibility that power lines could fall in the winds.

But as they returned into cellphone range, Ms. Paulsen went on to Facebook and Twitter looking for fire updates and came across a social media post that was clearly about them, describing their gas masks and vests and suggesting they had gone up the road to start a fire. The person reported trying to follow their Volkswagen sedan.

One person replied: “Are you kidding me shoot em.”

Mr. Trumbly said he pulled off to the side of the road and called the police to explain what he was seeing on social media and what they had been doing south of town. He offered to show the footage of what he captured. The couple was afraid that armed vigilantes might pursue them.

“They think I just burned their houses down and they have guns, and they are angry, and they are scared,” Mr. Trumbly said.
This kind of thing can only happen in a country where hatred and division has been ramped up by those in charge; where those who disagree with the government, no matter how peaceful they are, have been declared a terrorist threat, and those who report the truth have been accused of spreading fake news and declared to be "enemies of the people".

I can imagine this sort of thing happening in Russia or China, but I could never have conceived of it ever happening in the USA under Obama, or Clinton, or Bush/Bush. But this is Trump's America where the truth is dying, and hatred, division and alternative facts are on the rise.
__________________
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 12:54 PM   #64
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 25,754
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I can imagine this sort of thing happening in Russia or China, but I could never have conceived of it ever happening in the USA under Obama, or Clinton, or Bush/Bush. But this is Trump's America where the truth is dying, and hatred, division and alternative facts are on the rise.
So Great Again.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 03:33 PM   #65
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,510
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Indeed. According to law enforcements sources a significant number of residents are defying evacuation orders as the fires approach because they've been convinced by Facebook that "antifas" are starting the fires and/or waiting right around the corner to loot their neighborhoods once they evacuate, and so they're waiting with their guns to either protect their property or in case they get a chance to kill an antifa arsonist.
Are the people who remain behind worried about "antifa" starting fires and then looting their property after they evacuate or are they worried about non-ideological criminally minded people starting fires and then looting their property after they evacuate or are they worried about people not starting a fire but taking advantage of the situation and looting their property after they evacuate? Because there is such a thing as people taking advantage of a situation and looting evacuated homes after a natural disaster. There's also such a thing as people who get their jollies from starting fires and there's such a thing as stupid careless people accidentally starting fires--flick a cigarette butt out of the car, not extinguishing a camp fire before breaking camp, or a cross burning at a Klan rally that ignites nearby trees, etc--that isn't ideologically motivated in any way.

The point being, people don't need to hear rumors about "antifa" starting fires to want to remain behind and protect your property. Rumors about anybody intentionally starting forest fires is enough to motivate some people to remain behind and protect their property. When those rumors turn out to be true and there really are people being arrested for intentionally starting the fires, just like there have been people arrested for intentionally starting forest fires every year for as far back as I can remember (and nobody being arrested for the looting that occurs every year as well), not evacuating starts to make more sense. Just make sure you've cleared a wide perimeter around your property, your house has a metal roof, your water comes from a well on your property and you have enough flash lights, batteries, food and ammunition to last a few days.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 04:28 PM   #66
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 25,754
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
The point being, people don't need to hear rumors about "antifa" starting fires to want to remain behind and protect your property.
However - these particular people are, in fact, wanting to remain behind and protect their property specifically because of "antifa" rumors - as the article points out, quoting many of them directly.

Quote:
Ralph Mitchell’s neighbors were fleeing. Ash rained from the sky. And outside Mr. Mitchell’s natural-medicine business, a police cruiser announced on loudspeaker: “This has been declared a life-threatening fire emergency. You need to evacuate the city.”

Mr. Mitchell was having none of it. He was staying.

“There’s already reports that antifa’s in town, going down the streets looting,” he said, echoing widely discredited rumors on Twitter and Facebook that left-wing activists had been systematically setting blazes. “I’m getting texts.”
Quote:
In Molalla on Thursday afternoon, firefighters had already gone door to door urging people to evacuate. Passing police officers blared their warnings and shared ominous updates about how quickly the wildfires could explode if the winds revved up and the weather turned.

Chuck McClaugherty said he and about a dozen neighbors had decided to stay to protect their homes from “crowds of looters out of Portland.” He listened to his police scanner as he stockpiled water and wet down his neighbors’ homes as a last line of defense.

“We’re staying put and watching for people who aren’t supposed to be here,” he said.

Patrick McDermott, 36, hitched up a trailer carrying his four-wheelers as his fiancée packed bags of clothing for their family and draped a surgical mask across their 17-month-old daughter’s face. Mr. McDermott was unnerved by what he called a “generational” outbreak of fires that have swallowed entire towns in Washington and Oregon.

But he said he and his fiancée had been watching reports of hooligans in black masks and hoodies pop up on local Facebook groups, and he worried that he was putting his home at risk if he left. He would go, he said, only when the town caught fire.

“You see what they’re doing downtown,” he said, referring to Portland. “It’s going to be a free-for-all. If I’m here and my buddies are here, that’s going to get stopped. This is what we’ve worked for our whole life. We’re not going to let anyone take it.”
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 04:40 PM   #67
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 15,121
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
However - these particular people are, in fact, wanting to remain behind and protect their property specifically because of "antifa" rumors - as the article points out, quoting many of them directly.
But in the post-truth country you live in, these are facts, and facts don't matter to the Trumpistas, on this forum or elsewhere. Captain Howdy has his "alternative facts" and he clearly prefers those to the actual facts.
__________________
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 08:21 PM   #68
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 22,779
Right wingers CT that "antifa" is starting west coast wildfires.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
However - these particular people are, in fact, wanting to remain behind and protect their property specifically because of "antifa" rumors - as the article points out, quoting many of them directly.


A natural medicine store owner made a potentially life-or-death decision based on rumors and anecdotes? That’s outstanding.

ETA - I hope that Mr Mitchell is OK obviously.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 08:41 PM   #69
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7,480
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
However - these particular people are, in fact, wanting to remain behind and protect their property specifically because of "antifa" rumors - as the article points out, quoting many of them directly.
If this were in some other country it would be simply hilarious, but since it's in America where nutters actually walk around with guns it's both hilarious and a little concerning.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 09:05 PM   #70
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,510
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Very important point here from that link

"We are removing false claims that the wildfires in Oregon were started by certain groups," Facebook spokesman Andy Stone tweeted. "This is based on confirmation from law enforcement that these rumors are forcing local fire and police agencies to divert resources from fighting the fires and protecting the public."

Here is a perfect exmaple of where a conspiracy theory isn't just a harmless set of false rumours - it is directly putting members of the public in danger.
Why would Facebook believe what law enforcement is telling them? Isn't anybody at Facebook smart enough to realize that there hasn't been enough time for law enforcement to conduct an investigation and determine the cause of the fires. They just started arresting people who they suspect have set some of the fires. Law enforcement can't possibly know the motive of everybody they have arrested yet.

Besides, Facebook knows for a fact that law enforcement in the United States has been murdering innocent unarmed black people for absolutely no reason for years and lying about it. If they're willing to do that, is lying about antifa involvement in starting wildfires really a bridge too far?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 03:25 AM   #71
Halcyon Dayz
Critical Thinker
 
Halcyon Dayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nederland - Sol III
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
law enforcement in the United States has been murdering innocent unarmed black people for absolutely no reason for years and lying about it. If they're willing to do that, is lying about antifa involvement in starting wildfires really a bridge too far?
Why would they protect antifa, the enemies of fascist pigs?
__________________
An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. -- Don Marquis
Join the Illuminati
Halcyon Dayz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 04:20 AM   #72
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,037
Oregon Sheriff’s Officer Suspended for Spreading Rumors About Antifa Arsonists

Quote:
Video shows the deputy—an unidentified bald man calling himself Mark—saying, “Antifa motherf--kers are out causing hell, and there’s a lot of lives at stake and there’s a lot of people’s property at stake because these guys got some vendetta.” He also warns of “antifa or other crazy left-wing people” attacking firefighters.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/oregon...tifa-arsonists

While local police departments and the FBI are sending out strongly worded press releases trying to dispel these dangerous rumors, this ******* deputy is spreading rumors about antifa arsonists setting fires, looting, and attacking firefighters.

Quote:
The sheriff's officer was also heard in a different video posted by freelance journalist Melissa Lewis counseling residents of Eagle Creek, five miles north of Estacada, on how to avoid legal trouble when defending their homes from antifa. “You have to prove it was seriously physical injury or death,” the officer can be heard saying. “Now, you throw a ******* knife in their hand after you shoot them, that’s on you,” he said, to the sound of laughter. “I wouldn’t let this **** happen in my neighborhood either, but be smart about it.”
Same cop on another video implying that people who engage in "self-defense" shootings should stage up the bodies of their victims with weapons to justify it after the fact. This is someone entrusted by the state to use discretion in regards to lethal force recommending citizens tamper with evidence after a homicide.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 14th September 2020 at 04:21 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 04:51 AM   #73
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,037
Quote:
Clackamas County gives an update on how much time and effort is going into concerns about looting/suspicious people.

-26 deputies
-400% increase in calls
-2 theft arrests
-a drug deal and some other crimes not related to fires stopped

You can do the math on the antifa threat.
https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status...35204416151552

Kinda funny that ******* right wingers have the cops they love so much going on wild goose chases in hazardous wildfire zones. Facebook conspiracy boomers doing more damage to the cops than any antifa super soldier could ever dream.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 06:42 AM   #74
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 13,787
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yup, devilishly clever these Antifa types; they had a person posing as a alt-right CT merchant for years before Antifa was even a thing, hoping that one day, Antifa would be a thing and they could use their fake alt-right plant to run a false flag operation against a state that Trump regards as an enemy...........
Hey, that's nothing. They flew Ann Dunham to Nigeria to deliver Barack Obama Jr. and then faked the birth certificate in 1961 so he could be elected president 47 years later.
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 06:55 AM   #75
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7,480
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status...35204416151552

Kinda funny that ******* right wingers have the cops they love so much going on wild goose chases in hazardous wildfire zones. Facebook conspiracy boomers doing more damage to the cops than any antifa super soldier could ever dream.
Except that in this case it's doing damage to the cops for that one time when they're actually doing something useful for society (ie helping to fight fires).
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 08:00 AM   #76
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 25,754
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Law enforcement can't possibly know the motive of everybody they have arrested yet.
Why not, exactly? There have only been around half a dozen or so arrests so far, right? And all by different agencies, so it's not like any department has to split their attention between a whole gang of suspects.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 12:25 PM   #77
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,510
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Why not, exactly? There have only been around half a dozen or so arrests so far, right? And all by different agencies, so it's not like any department has to split their attention between a whole gang of suspects.
I suppose they could if the people they arrested just start blabbing everything they know. That does happen. But some people--even antifa--are smart enough to know that the only thing you say when a cop tells you you're under arrest is "I want a lawyer."
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:51 AM   #78
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,037
One antifascists guide to undermining and preventing checkpoints of armed idiots in wildfire areas. Claims it was successful in getting his CHUD neighbors to stand down.

https://medium.com/@antifacowrustlr/...s-b5bbb0ddf4c6

Using a fake account that looks like your average right wing idiot, he started making comments like this is response to calls for armed checkpoints looking for arsonists and looters:

Quote:
So I told them that I don’t live in town but visit often, and that I will not be stopping for any civilian checkpoints as they are unconstitutional. That I am not obligated to stop or to answer questions. And—for a good dose of irony because they love using this line towards protesters—that I really don’t recommend being in front of my vehicle in the roadway. I let them know that I always travel armed, and would consider a stranger blocking my vehicle with a firearm in hand to be a threat to my life and act as you might expect in that scenario.

...

This tactic seemed to work, as the OP immediately walked back claims of wanting to set up checkpoints by editing the original post to change the recommendation from checkpoints to a community watch (which would actually be a good thing if done properly and without racism, classism, xenophobia, etc).
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th September 2020 at 06:53 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 07:41 AM   #79
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges
 
Butter!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 6,834
America is over. I've just accepted my doom at this point.
__________________
Ha ha ha, what a story
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 07:42 AM   #80
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges
 
Butter!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 6,834
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This kind of thing can only happen in a country where hatred and division has been ramped up by those in charge; where those who disagree with the government, no matter how peaceful they are, have been declared a terrorist threat, and those who report the truth have been accused of spreading fake news and declared to be "enemies of the people".

.
This.
__________________
Ha ha ha, what a story
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.