ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags obituaries , Robert Mugabe , Zimbabwe incidents , Zimbabwe politics

Old 5th September 2019, 10:03 PM   #1
angrysoba
Philosophile

Robert Mugabe has snuffed it

I don't have a link.

But he is dead.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 10:21 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I don't have a link.

But he is dead.
If I was religious and betting man, I would put a $1 k on which way he is going.

And the lift has no up buttons.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 10:55 PM   #3
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'd be prepared to celebrate the disgusting prick's death, but it's about 30 years too late for that.
Old 5th September 2019, 11:07 PM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And the world has just become a better place.....
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 11:29 PM   #5
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I don't have a link.

But he is dead.
Yay.

He's with his country now, in hell (or the atheist equivalent).

McHrozni
Old 5th September 2019, 11:29 PM   #6
BillC
Bazooka Joe

I'm pretty sure at some point on this forum I have said "Hurry up and die, Mugabe".

And now he has.

Dead link.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 11:43 PM   #7
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Now he is MUCH more use to his country...as fertiliser.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 12:08 AM   #8
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Yet another case of The Don getting it utterly wrong - though in my defence I was only 12 at the time.

The Smith regime in Rhodesia was so unpopular in the UK (presumably as a result of UDI) that when Zimbabwe became (officially) independent and held elections in 1980 I was really optimistic. Even in the first few years I had hopes that Zimbabwe would manage to be a multi racial country with a good economy - boy was I wrong

Not only has Mugabe ruined a country when he was alive and President, I believe that he has sown the seeds for its continued destruction for decades afterwards
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 12:17 AM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yet another case of The Don getting it utterly wrong - though in my defence I was only 12 at the time.

The Smith regime in Rhodesia was so unpopular in the UK (presumably as a result of UDI) that when Zimbabwe became (officially) independent and held elections in 1980 I was really optimistic. Even in the first few years I had hopes that Zimbabwe would manage to be a multi racial country with a good economy - boy was I wrong

Not only has Mugabe ruined a country when he was alive and President, I believe that he has sown the seeds for its continued destruction for decades afterwards

It is often said (with much truth) that Mugabe turned the bread-basket of Africa into the basket-case of Africa.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 12:20 AM   #10
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Don't worry, you are not alone. The history repeated itself twenty years later in Venezuela. Millions of people around the world still adore Hugo Chavez who did the same for his country, using the same methods, with the same reasons, yielding the same results. Both are venerated as perfect leaders by varying groups of people (African supremacists / Fanatical Marxists).

McHrozni
Old 6th September 2019, 01:03 AM   #11
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It is often said (with much truth) that Mugabe turned the bread-basket of Africa into the basket-case of Africa.
Compare the state of the country with that of neighbouring Botswana.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 02:41 AM   #12
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Compare the state of the country with that of neighbouring Botswana.
Hmm.

From what I can see, Botswana's rise to become one of Africa's richest countries has been a mirror image of Zimbabwe's decline.
Old 6th September 2019, 03:43 AM   #13
dann
Philosopher

Mugabe's first mistake was to believe that capitalist agriculture would improve conditions for Zimbabweans:

Quote:
He announced a policy of reconciliation and invited whites to help rebuild the country.
“If yesterday I fought you as an enemy, today you have become a friend,” he told them. “If yesterday you hated me, today you cannot avoid the love that binds me to you.”
Zimbabwe's intellectual despot: how Mugabe became Africa's fallen angel (Guardian, Sep. 6, 2019)

That was when the West still loved him for having given up on Marxism and therefore also wasn't really bothered by "the vicious ethnic cleansing that ensued in the mid-80s":

Quote:
Few in the west noticed, or wanted to. They preferred to see an economy that was growing as agriculture boomed ...

And at that time Mugabe actually did do something for ordinary people in Zimbabwe who loved him, too:

Quote:
... and Mugabe built clinics and schools, turning Zimbabwe into one of the healthiest, best-educated and most hopeful countries in Africa.

But!

Quote:
The optimism began to sour in 1997, when Mugabe gave in to pressure from war veterans waging violent protests for pensions.

This is something that any leader of an African nation should know: "an economy that was growing" does not go hand in hand with pensions for impoverished Africans! If the purpose of economic growth is to enrich white farmers, money for clinics and schools is a waste, which is why white farmers got the idea to pay trade unions and political activists to put a stop to Mugabe:

Quote:
Trade unions and political activists began organising what would become the first viable political threat to Mugabe, the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC). But it was partly bankrolled by white farmers

Which led to Mugabe turning against the white farmers who he had initially hoped would help him turn Zimbabwe into an affluent nation that could also sustain its indigenous population and not just the white upper classes:

Quote:
In 2000 Mugabe began a land reform programme, billed as an attempt to correct the unresolved colonialist legacy by giving white-owned farms to landless black people.

And that is how Mugabe became the epitome of a black African dictator in the West.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 04:11 AM   #14
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Mugabe's first mistake was to believe that capitalist agriculture would improve conditions for Zimbabweans:

...snip...

And that is how Mugabe became the epitome of a black African dictator in the West.
No. His first mistake (and becoming the epitome of a dictator) was in 1982, after just 2 years in power, when he started the Matabeleland massacres of dissenters.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 04:14 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Always strange how gaining dictatorial powers change saints to demons. He was always a nasty piece of work, just because for a time he was aligned with what was right didn't make him a good person.
Old 6th September 2019, 09:34 AM   #16
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Don't feel too bad, lots of people had high hopes at the time. Norman Beaton once gave an outstanding performance as Mugabe in an unusual drama documentary from Channel 4's Dispatches back in the day, that took a very positive line. I expect that it hasn't aged well.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 10:08 AM   #17
sackett
Philosopher

He was 95.

The good die young.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 10:09 AM   #18
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Good Riddance.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 01:02 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Mugube is the ultimate textbook example of "Power Corrupts;Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely".
Sadly, he not the only example of the leader of a anti colonial movement becoming a tryant once the colonial power is kicked out; that seems to be a common scenario.
Algeria,Vietnam (which managed to spawn 2 corrupt and dictatorial regimes for a while) The Congo,the list goes on.

And if you really want a contrast, compare him with Nelson Mandela....

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th September 2019 at 01:10 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 01:11 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

But Mugabe is now a dead insane corrupt ex dictator.
He has passed on, he has ceased to be, he is a stiff, bereft of life....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 01:20 PM   #21
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Mugube is the ultimate textbook example of "Power Corrupts;Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely".
Sadly, he not the only example of the leader of a anti colonial movement becoming a tryant once the colonial power is kicked out; that seems to be a common scenario.
Algeria,Vietnam (which managed to spawn 2 corrupt and dictatorial regimes for a while) The Congo,the list goes on.

One could also (noting contrast pointed out earlier) compare him to Seretse Khama.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 01:37 PM   #22
Giz
Philosopher

The tragedy of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe is that due to the white governments intransigent refusal in the early days to treat with moderate black leaders, the only full on challengers to white supremacy were mugabe (backed by communist China) and Nkomo (backed by the USSR). With those kinds of backers, is a bad result surprising?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 03:31 PM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
The tragedy of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe is that due to the white governments intransigent refusal in the early days to treat with moderate black leaders, the only full on challengers to white supremacy were mugabe (backed by communist China) and Nkomo (backed by the USSR). With those kinds of backers, is a bad result surprising?
Not an unsusual scenario. France ignored the more moderate Arab leaders in Algeria, who might have been satisfied with reforms to give the Arab Majority in Algeria fair representation in the French Parliament and left the door open to the more radical FLN.
Or the British in their North American Colonies, come to think of it....they ignored the moderates and enabled the radicals.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th September 2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 6th September 2019, 03:38 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SOme of the attempts I am seeing in some comments section to make a great leader out of Mugabe are just plain pathetic.
One said he is a hero to most Africans. IMHO he is more of a negative example.
Same thing happened a few years ago when Idi Amin kicked the bucket....

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th September 2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 6th September 2019, 03:40 PM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Zimbabwe ain't gonna be Wakanda any time soon, thanks to Mugabe....

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th September 2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 7th September 2019, 06:42 PM   #26
CORed
Philosopher

Not an unsusual scenario. France ignored the more moderate Arab leaders in Algeria, who might have been satisfied with reforms to give the Arab Majority in Algeria fair representation in the French Parliament and left the door open to the more radical FLN.
Or the British in their North American Colonies, come to think of it....they ignored the moderates and enabled the radicals.
Hell, the British in North America managed to turn the moderates into radicals.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 03:13 AM   #27
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Sorry, not sorry.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 04:57 AM   #28
dann
Philosopher

Zimbabwe ain't gonna be Wakanda any time soon, thanks to Mugabe....

No country in Africa is gonna be Wakanda any time soon, thanks to colonialism and imperialism.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 05:01 AM   #29
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
No. His first mistake (and becoming the epitome of a dictator) was in 1982, after just 2 years in power, when he started the Matabeleland massacres of dissenters.

His belief that capitalist agriculture would improve the conditions for ordinary Zimbabweans started before that. That's why the West loved him and wasn't too concerned about the massacres.
Old 8th September 2019, 06:25 AM   #30
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'd be prepared to celebrate the disgusting prick's death, but it's about 30 years too late for that.
I'm kind of thinking he won. Dying in your bed is pretty much the best a big man of Africa can hope for.
Old 9th September 2019, 02:30 PM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

No country in Africa is gonna be Wakanda any time soon, thanks to colonialism and imperialism.
Not defending colonialism at all, but the colonial period ended over 50 years ago, and bad and stupid leadership in Africa no longer can use it as a excuse.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th September 2019, 02:31 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

His belief that capitalist agriculture would improve the conditions for ordinary Zimbabweans started before that. That's why the West loved him and wasn't too concerned about the massacres.
Yeah, like the Marxist system of agriculture worked so great. It managed to turn Russia from a food exporting nation into a food importing one, and CHins still has not fully recovered from Mao's Great Leap Forward.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th September 2019, 02:35 PM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am not trying to deny the horrid impacts of imperialism in Africa, but am saying enough time has passed for that to no longer be an excuse for bad management and just plain stupidity.
And the decision by many African leaders in the days after indepdence to model their economies after the Soviet/Maoist model was truly a disasterous one.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th September 2019, 12:10 AM   #34
dann
Philosopher

Not defending colonialism at all, but the colonial period ended over 50 years ago, and bad and stupid leadership in Africa no longer can use it as a excuse.

No, you're just defending imperialism, colonialism's younger brother. That is the wonderful thing about partisan thinking. Partisan thinkers don't even notice when they contradict themselves:

Yeah, like the Marxist system of agriculture worked so great. It managed to turn Russia from a food exporting nation into a food importing one, and CHins still has not fully recovered from Mao's Great Leap Forward.....

Yes, time is a wonderful excuse for colonialism and imperialism, but not for (allegedly) socialist countries. As an industrialized country, Russia was able to become a food importing nation, quite an accomplishment, actually, considering their starting point, and China seems to have recovered pretty well, economically, unlike the majority of colonialized countries. (But the majority of the Chinese haven't.)
Quote:
Continued population and/or income increase have pushed the United States, China, Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom up the list of the Countries Who Import the Most Food.
Countries Most Dependent On Others For Food (World Atlas)

I am not trying to deny the horrid impacts of imperialism in Africa, but am saying enough time has passed for that to no longer be an excuse for bad management and just plain stupidity.
And the decision by many African leaders in the days after indepdence to model their economies after the Soviet/Maoist model was truly a disasterous one.

"enough time has passed" for denying the impacts of imperialism in Africa, apparently. But enough time will never pass for the initial mistakes of the USSR or China to be forgotten. But let's just pretend that African nations are all poor because they modeled their economies after the Soviet/Maoist model, even though Zimbabwe certainly didn't. Even though Mugabe pretended to be a Marxist (which had some people in the West worried, at first), he put his complete trust in the capitalist agriculture run by white farmers, and they certainly thrived even though the rest of Zimbabwe didn't, which is why you resort to your fall-back argument: mismanagement!

And that is how you "deny the horrid impacts of imperialism in Africa" while pretending that it isn't so. Congratulations! What a fine accomplishment from a pretend moderate.

By the way, how many years did it take the USA to not get proper health care? How many years did it take for the USA to not eradicate poverty? What is the time frame we should consider? 50 years? 100 years?

ETA: Why are so many people in developing countries poor?

ETA: Modern imperialism in Africa (but in German)
Why Mugabe has to be removed (Also in German)

Last edited by dann; 10th September 2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10th September 2019, 07:53 AM   #35
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Don't feel too bad, lots of people had high hopes at the time. Norman Beaton once gave an outstanding performance as Mugabe in an unusual drama documentary from Channel 4's Dispatches back in the day, that took a very positive line. I expect that it hasn't aged well.
As did Stevie Wonder in Plaster Blaster. "Peace has come to Zimbabwe".

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 10:07 PM   #36
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

There was a deadline back in 2016 for the last day you could turn in your 100 trillion dollar bills.

There was a point when the inflation rate hit 79 billion percent.

If it weren't for the bodies, you could look at it almost as performance art!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 12:49 AM   #37
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
There was a deadline back in 2016 for the last day you could turn in your 100 trillion dollar bills.

There was a point when the inflation rate hit 79 billion percent.

If it weren't for the bodies, you could look at it almost as performance art!
IIRC, those notes had a greater value sold as novelty items on eBay than they did as currency.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 07:52 PM   #38
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Huh? It was colonialism that brought civilization to Africa. There had been people living in Africa for 10 of thousands of years. Are you saying that Africa would have just magically taken off in the last few centuries if Europeans didn't show up?? Africa took off because of European colonialism. As the best leader Rhodesia ever had, Ian Smith, stated,

"To those who say derogatory things about colonialism, I would say colonialism is a wonderful thing. It spread civilization to Africa. Before it they had no written language, no wheel as we know it, no schools, no hospitals, not even normal clothing."
Ian Smith

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 08:03 PM   #39
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It seems very likely, but at least with him dead there is a slim possibility that things might get better.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 10:10 PM   #40
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Don't worry, you are not alone. The history repeated itself twenty years later in Venezuela. Millions of people around the world still adore Hugo Chavez who did the same for his country, using the same methods, with the same reasons, yielding the same results. Both are venerated as perfect leaders by varying groups of people (African supremacists / Fanatical Marxists).

McHrozni
Mugabe and Chavez; true BFF's:

Quote:
Caracas, Venezuela - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez praised Zimbabwe's embattled President Robert Mugabe as a "freedom fighter," bestowing the visiting African leader with a replica of South American independence hero Simon Bolivar's sword.

"I give you a replica of liberator Simon Bolivar's sword," Chavez said Thursday after the two leaders signed an energy co-operation agreement.

"For you, who like Bolivar, took up arms to liberate your people. For you, who like Bolivar, are and will always be a true freedom fighter," Chavez said. "He continues, alongside his people, to confront the pretensions of new imperialists."

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events