ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boston incidents , Kyle Chapman , Mark Sahady , white nationalists

Old 9th June 2019, 07:20 PM   #241
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's so they could work an "8" into it, a common dog-whistle for neo-Nazis.
And here I thought they were just symbolizing a teabagging.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 08:05 PM   #242
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

That is true, but that trick still works if the female symbol is correctly oriented.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 08:30 PM   #243
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
By the way, for anyone who's curious (but not bi-curious), evidently this is the "straight pride flag" these folks designed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8eXlB8VsAAxXtB.jpg
I found this really rather odd, during Pride Week (or Month). It says "Curiosity is just the beginning" superimposed on a rainbow/spectrum. This is the main 3M headquarters. I'm not sure what message they are trying to convey but I think "Diversity" would have been a better choice than "Curiosity".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8216a.jpg (111.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by alfaniner; 9th June 2019 at 08:37 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 05:25 AM   #244
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And all lives really do matter; but that's not the actual message behind "All Lives Matter" as a response to "Black Lives Matter", the actual message is "shut up about racism already, damn blacks".
And of course "Blue lives matter" which is about supporting police through these trying times of people trying to hold them accountable for their actions.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 06:19 AM   #245
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well they already had a straight pride parade in detroit.

https://www.newsweek.com/armed-neo-n...parade-1443013

And of course there is the one in jerusalem pride that has 10,000 marchers, 2,500 police and no murders since 2015 at it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 06:54 AM   #246
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And of course "Blue lives matter" which is about supporting police through these trying times of people trying to hold them accountable for their actions.
I think it is punishing all of them for the mistakes of some they have an issue with. Think that would be a premise you would be familiar with.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:02 AM   #247
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I have to admit to being quite naive and had dismissed a lot of this "dog whistles " talk as being nonsense, seeing patterns in coincidence and today I had my eyes opened in a thread here that had this link in it https://www.huffpost.com/entry/daily...b0ce3b344492f2
Old 10th June 2019, 07:05 AM   #248
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I think it is punishing all of them for the mistakes of some they have an issue with. Think that would be a premise you would be familiar with.
When they actually hold the few accountable maybe they will be viewed differently. When their unions stop getting police officers who were fired for violence and gross incompetence back on the force and on other forces there might be a reason to differentiate. Hell they had to buy off the cop who murdered Philando Castile because there clearly was nothing so wrong with the behavior to properly justify firing them. See blue lives really do matter, and they need to never be held accountable for the violence they commit.

It is like blaming the whole catholic church for merely aiding and abetting the rapist priests instead of solely blaming the rapist priests. Priest Lives Matter!
Old 10th June 2019, 07:35 AM   #249
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

That is true, but that trick still works if the female symbol is correctly oriented.
Ooof, I didn't even notice the implication of the female positioning. I guess I was too distracted by how hideous that flag is in general. ******* yuck.

I feel very tired.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 11:12 AM   #250
Checkmite

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I guess I was too distracted by how hideous that flag is in general. ******* yuck.
Yeah it looks like it could double as a flag for Clinical Depression.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 11:20 AM   #251
Checkmite

"Blue Lives Matter" as a response to "Black Lives Matter" is particularly insidious, because it seeks in a low-key way to reframe cases of police killings of unarmed blacks as factual "him or me" situations - asserting that officers should have a right to defend themselves from deadly threats, deliberately ignoring the fact that these unarmed individuals were never actually a threat to anyone's life when they were killed, including the police officer who killed them.
Old 10th June 2019, 12:02 PM   #252
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

"Blue Lives Matter" as a response to "Black Lives Matter" is particularly insidious, because it seeks in a low-key way to reframe cases of police killings of unarmed blacks as factual "him or me" situations - asserting that officers should have a right to defend themselves from deadly threats, deliberately ignoring the fact that these unarmed individuals were never actually a threat to anyone's life when they were killed, including the police officer who killed them.
Exactly it really should have been "Blue Careers Matter" after all a single unjustified killing of someone shouldn't ruin their career right?
Old 10th June 2019, 12:06 PM   #253
ahhell
Master Poster

Exactly it really should have been "Blue Careers Matter" after all a single unjustified killing of someone shouldn't ruin their career right?
Its nice to find something I agree with you two on.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 12:07 PM   #254
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yeah it looks like it could double as a flag for Clinical Depression.
All the good designers are gay or not sufficiently homophobic.
Old 10th June 2019, 01:30 PM   #255
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Elsewhere, I saw someone say it could be described as a incelebration of the marchers
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:46 PM   #256
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Something about BB guns this week. First there was the Kentucky Dragon and now a BB gun at Washington DC Pride.

Man pulls a BB gun on fellow reveller at Washington DC Pride parade after they 'hit his significant other’, sparking stampede which injured seven people

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A man threatened another person with a BB gun after they 'hit his significant other' during an LGBTQ pride parade Washington DC on Saturday, setting off a panic in which several people were injured.

Aftabjit Singh, 38, was arrested on weapons possession and disorderly conduct charges after Saturday evening’s incident in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, D.C., where thousands of people packed the streets to celebrate in the city’s annual pride parade.

Although no gunshots were fired, hundreds of people ran from the area, knocking down metal police barricades and running into stores, fearing that a gunman had opened fire on the crowd of revelers...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...red-seven.html
Old 22nd June 2019, 06:58 AM   #257
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
So why is it pointless in 2019? Homophobia is dead? There will be a day when people wont react with disgust to the kiss in the new Elton docu drama. Our generation will be dead and LGBTQ pride marches will be pointless.

But, no. You dont get any of the empathy do you. Just wrapped up in your privilege.
It basically seems to be, "I don't see why gay pride marchers are needed, I'd rather they didn't celebrate their sexuality"... maybe a new slogan, "ashamed pride"?
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2019, 07:19 AM   #258
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

If homophobia were dead, people wouldn't be bitching so much about the parades. That's what's so funny.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2019, 08:37 AM   #259
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yup
Old 24th June 2019, 11:29 AM   #260
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Cemeteries for the living!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 04:58 AM   #261
dann
Philosopher

Quote:
Efforts to hold a "Straight Pride Parade" in Boston are one step closer to becoming reality.
City officials said the organizers' public event application was approved Thursday, the first step toward receiving a permit for the parade.
Next, organizers need the approval of police district captains and the licensing board to receive a parade permit and an entertainment license.
(...)
More than 350 volunteers have joined the effort and Milo Yiannopoulos is slated as the grand marshal, he said. The permit says 2,000 attendees are expected.
Boston's 'Straight Pride Parade' is one step closer to happening (CNN, June 28, 2019)

Notice the Trump hat! Another guy is wearing a "Lick My Charm" T-shirt. I googled it and got this (facebook page).
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:08 AM   #262
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Ironically, anyone attending this "parade" is probably full of shame.

At least they should be.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:13 AM   #263
3point14
Pi

Are we sure none of these people aren't just deep in the closet?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:31 AM   #264
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It basically seems to be, "I don't see why gay pride marchers are needed, I'd rather they didn't celebrate their sexuality"... maybe a new slogan, "ashamed pride"?

My mother was born in the 1940s, and her attitude is "I don't care if they're gay, but they don't need to be talking about it all the time."
In other words, "Why can't they stay in the closet like the good old days, so I don't have to acknowledge that they exist."

EDIT: Oh, and she recently expressed regret that "they" had chosen the rainbow as their symbol, because now she can't put decorations with rainbows in her yard without people thinking "there's something wrong with her". I don't think she gets that it's a flag, not rainbows in general.

Last edited by Armitage72; 28th June 2019 at 05:51 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 06:05 AM   #265
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Are we sure none of these people aren't just deep in the closet?
Possible, but kind of irrelevant. I find it kinda tacky to accuse homophobes of just being closeted gays. Makes light of the situation imo.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 06:08 AM   #266
ahhell
Master Poster

So, gay pride came and went and pride month is almost over, was there blood?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 06:12 AM   #267
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
My mother was born in the 1940s, and her attitude is "I don't care if they're gay, but they don't need to be talking about it all the time."
In other words, "Why can't they stay in the closet like the good old days, so I don't have to acknowledge that they exist."

My mother was born in 1940.

I was unreasonably proud when I found her chatting away to a gay friend of mine about his disastrous love life and offering sage advice, tea and sympathy cos, according to her, it all hurts the same when your heart's broken.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 06:21 AM   #268
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
So, gay pride came and went and pride month is almost over, was there blood?
Yes.

But the "White Straight Pride parade hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

Old 28th June 2019, 06:30 AM   #269
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
EDIT: Oh, and she recently expressed regret that "they" had chosen the rainbow as their symbol, because now she can't put decorations with rainbows in her yard without people thinking "there's something wrong with her". I don't think she gets that it's a flag, not rainbows in general.
My mother is in her seventies. She got it into her head, and it cannot be dislodged, that rainbow flags indicate support for Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition from 1984.
Old 28th June 2019, 07:21 AM   #270
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
My mother was born in 1940.

I was unreasonably proud when I found her chatting away to a gay friend of mine about his disastrous love life and offering sage advice, tea and sympathy cos, according to her, it all hurts the same when your heart's broken.

There’s nothing unreasonable about that pride. Good for her.
Old 28th June 2019, 11:15 AM   #271
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
There’s nothing unreasonable about that pride. Good for her.
well said
Old 30th June 2019, 02:59 PM   #272
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Possible, but kind of irrelevant. I find it kinda tacky to accuse homophobes of just being closeted gays. Makes light of the situation imo.

I don't think it necessarily does, not in all cases. Just look at the number of virulent, even violent, anti-LGTBQ politicians and preachers who have been caught with their pants down, so to speak, engaging in or soliciting gay sex.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-we...-out-to-be-gay
https://www.livescience.com/19563-ho...mosexuals.html

The upshot is that the more virulent the homophoia, the more likely it is to be the result of internal conflicts between one's worldview and one's sexuality.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:25 AM   #273
halleyscomet
Philosopher

'Straight Pride Parade' organizers say they received suspicious envelopes in the mail. They were full of glitter
Old 12th July 2019, 03:39 AM   #274
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
I don't think it necessarily does, not in all cases. Just look at the number of virulent, even violent, anti-LGTBQ politicians and preachers who have been caught with their pants down, so to speak, engaging in or soliciting gay sex.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-we...-out-to-be-gay
https://www.livescience.com/19563-ho...mosexuals.html

The upshot is that the more virulent the homophoia, the more likely it is to be the result of internal conflicts between one's worldview and one's sexuality.

The upshot is that the more virulent homophobia in a society or group of people is, the more likely it is that people with (closeted) gay inclinations become homophobes. Without the prevalence of homophobia, it would be absurd for gays to become homophobes.
This is the reason why there seems to be so many gay homophobes in homophobic religious groups and political parties:
Homophobic leaders who turned out to be gay or bi (Advocate, May 24, 2019)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 03:50 AM   #275
dann
Philosopher

Good article: The distraction of Straight Pride, as explained by LGBTQ activists and historians (Vox, July 1, 2019)
Old 12th July 2019, 02:23 PM   #276
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by dann View Post
The upshot is that the more virulent homophobia in a society or group of people is, the more likely it is that people with (closeted) gay inclinations become homophobes.

Er, well yes, that is what I said.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 03:41 PM   #277
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Ah, a parade full of trolls.

Just what Boston needs.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 03:47 PM   #278
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Ah, a parade full of trolls.

Just what Boston needs.
Equal opportunity. Boston already has plenty of leprechauns.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 10:32 PM   #279
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Er, well yes, that is what I said.

No, it wasn't. "the result of internal conflicts between one's worldview and one's sexuality." But if you think it was, that's OK.
Old 13th July 2019, 12:21 AM   #280
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think that if we look at this in terms of set theory, and we assign...

Set A to those people who would likely march in an event such as a straight pride parade, and

Set B to those people who are religious homophobes

the result would be A ∩ B = A B
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events