ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Old 23rd June 2019, 04:28 PM   #41
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
One theory I've heard is that because Foxx did not properly recuse herself, her office's deal with Smollett is invalid, and he is still liable for prosecution, without incurring double jeopardy.
he wasn't put on trial for anything so there can't be double jeopardy regardless.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 04:03 PM   #42
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Police video now of Smollett wearing the rope.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...OOSE-neck.html
Old 24th June 2019, 04:53 PM   #43
Whip
Graduate Poster

lol. that is some wacky footage right there. the brothers in hazmat suits in a cab = hysterical
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 05:09 PM   #44
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The brothers are suing Smollett's lawyer(s) for defamation.

It was all a mutual hoax planned out. But the lawyers told untruths about the brothers' involvement.

All because Smollett won't come clean. His reputation in life is now pretty much trashed. He could still be charged with 16 or more counts now that there is a new special prosecutor. He also has to deal with that lawsuit from the city of Chicago.

It's not too late to confess and apologize. But I think his narcissism and his racism won't let him.
Old 24th June 2019, 05:18 PM   #45
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The brothers are suing Smollett's lawyer(s) for defamation.

It was all a mutual hoax planned out. But the lawyers told untruths about the brothers' involvement.

All because Smollett won't come clean. His reputation in life is now pretty much trashed. He could still be charged with 16 or more counts now that there is a new special prosecutor. He also has to deal with that lawsuit from the city of Chicago.

It's not too late to confess and apologize. But I think his narcissism and his racism won't let him.

Your own posts provides some very important legal reasons for him not to confess.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 05:37 PM   #46
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Your own posts provides some very important legal reasons for him not to confess.
I don't see any other path to restoring personal integrity in the world.

He has the money to pay the lawsuit. If they charge him and he pleads guilty he might not go to prison.
Old 24th June 2019, 05:48 PM   #47
Myles
Thinker

Police video now of Smollett wearing the rope.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...OOSE-neck.html
Thatís a noose?

Actors shoulda took a few knot tying lessons for authenticity prior to the caper. Every redneck like me knows how to make one.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 10:22 PM   #48
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

I don't see any other path to restoring personal integrity in the world.

He has the money to pay the lawsuit. If they charge him and he pleads guilty he might not go to prison.
I wonder how much the brothers will get to drop/settle the suit?
Old 24th June 2019, 10:25 PM   #49
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
I wonder how much the brothers will get to drop/settle the suit?
If they're smart, they'll hold out for the jury award, which is sure to be greater. Even racist black jurors are gonna want to stick it to Smollett for sabotaging the cause. Especially when the victims are other black people.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 07:55 AM   #50
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
lol. that is some wacky footage right there. the brothers in hazmat suits in a cab = hysterical
Something is confusing and doesn't make sense here. I talked about it way upthread but now it's more prominent than before.

We see that on the night of the fake attack the brothers are wearing all-white (or very light) clothing from head-to-toe. Their jacket hoods are also white.

But here is what confuses me. Smollett told the police that his attackers were wearing all-dark clothing. We were also told that Smollett wanted and was expecting the attack to be recorded on surveillance video.

Why would he want all-white clothing to be recorded on video and at the same time tell the police that the clothing was all-dark?

Here are the brothers in all-white: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-attack.html
Old 25th June 2019, 08:07 AM   #51
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Something is confusing and doesn't make sense here. I talked about it way upthread but now it's more prominent than before.

We see that on the night of the fake attack the brothers are wearing all-white (or very light) clothing from head-to-toe. Their jacket hoods are also white.

But here is what confuses me. Smollett told the police that his attackers were wearing all-dark clothing. We were also told that Smollett wanted and was expecting the attack to be recorded on surveillance video.

Why would he want all-white clothing to be recorded on video and at the same time tell the police that the clothing was all-dark?

Here are the brothers in all-white: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-attack.html
That cab driver must have been pretty weirded out. "Evening gentlemen - going to... Chernobyl this evening? Anything I should, um, know?"
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:14 AM   #52
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Rule #1 of Shady Behavior:

When travelling by cab or public transport to a location where shade will ensue, take step to avoid being remembered by those who might see you along the way. Wear a jacket or hat that you later ditch or switch. Do not appear as though you are up to anything sketchy. Look bored or tired if possible. Don't be flashy in any way. Definitely do not wear a hazmat-looking mask over your face. If traveling by cab, interact casually with your driver. Make up a totally BS story about where you are going and why, but offer very few details. Have him drop you off as far away from where you are actually going as possible, and make it appear to him as though you have entered a building.

Molly salesmen should know this stuff!

Last edited by isissxn; 25th June 2019 at 08:15 AM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:23 AM   #53
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Rule #1 of Shady Behavior:

When travelling by cab or public transport to a location where shade will ensue, take step to avoid being remembered by those who might see you along the way. Wear a jacket or hat that you later ditch or switch. Do not appear as though you are up to anything sketchy. Look bored or tired if possible. Don't be flashy in any way. Definitely do not wear a hazmat-looking mask over your face. If traveling by cab, interact casually with your driver. Make up a totally BS story about where you are going and why, but offer very few details. Have him drop you off as far away from where you are actually going as possible, and make it appear to him as though you have entered a building.

I don't know if you have been following this case. The brothers did use multiple different sequential hire vehicles and convoluted destinations for the purpose of not being "trackable".
Old 25th June 2019, 08:25 AM   #54
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I don't know if you have been following this case. The brothers did use multiple different sequential hire vehicles and convoluted destinations for the purpose of not being "trackable".
I'm only commenting on their clothes. I don't care how many times you switch vehicles - if you are wearing that, they will all be more likely to remember you.

EDIT: I've been sort of following the case. I read all the main updates, and I read the Daily Mail article with the photos. I doubt I'm as up-to-date as you. But look at those clothes!

Last edited by isissxn; 25th June 2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:28 AM   #55
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

One of the brothers was selling Smollett weed, molly and coke. This was revealed in text messages. Smollett also called him "******", which I guess is a term of love and camaraderie and wonderful things.

ETA: Oh the autocensor removed it. He calls him the "N" word.

Last edited by William Parcher; 25th June 2019 at 08:30 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:36 AM   #56
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

One of the brothers was selling Smollett weed, molly and coke. This was revealed in text messages. Smollett also called him "******", which I guess is a term of love and camaraderie and wonderful things.

ETA: Oh the autocensor removed it. He calls him the "N" word.
I guessed.

I only knew about the molly, so yup, I'm a bit behind.

I just saw the video with the "noose" this morning.

Last edited by isissxn; 25th June 2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added quotes to noose, because it didn't really look like one
Old 25th June 2019, 08:37 AM   #57
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

But look at those clothes!
There is nothing unusual about the clothing. Reports say that the temperature outside was 5F. Jackets with hoods would be common. Even face-covering ski masks would be common.

In fact, the hire drivers were all interviewed and none mentioned unusual or outstanding clothing.

"Dressed as HAZMAT" is just a little toy meme on ISF.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:41 AM   #58
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

There is nothing unusual about the clothing. Reports say that the temperature outside was 5F. Jackets with hoods would be common. Even face-covering ski masks would be common.

In fact, the hire drivers were all interviewed and none mentioned unusual or outstanding clothing.

Yes, I know that they weren't actual HAZMAT suits (lol, what do you think of me, man?). I live in a pretty cold area and they still looked sort of outlandish to me. And if I were an Uber driver, I'd be more nervous if my passengers didn't sort of lower their face covering once inside the vehicle. (Unless we were only going a really short distance.) But that's just me. Personally, I'm less inclined to notice people who aren't TRYING to go unnoticed. If that makes sense?

Anyway, I just thought it was funny. Maybe it wasn't funny. Doesn't matter. I keep returning to this case because it just keeps going, and it seems to keep getting stranger. But there are probably gaps in what I know.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:41 AM   #59
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'm a bit behind.
Well being up-to-date would be nothing to brag about. The whole thing is just a drawn out stupid soap opera saga about a criminal black racist who also happens to be gay.
Old 25th June 2019, 09:07 AM   #60
Whip
Graduate Poster

I expect it to go nationwide!
Old 25th June 2019, 09:15 AM   #61
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

And if I were an Uber driver, I'd be more nervous if my passengers didn't sort of lower their face covering once inside the vehicle. (Unless we were only going a really short distance.) But that's just me.
The hire drivers actually told police that they thought they were going to be robbed by the guys. This is what made them memorable to the drivers. But it wasn't their clothing - it was their behavior. I think they said it was their silence that raised suspicion.
Old 25th June 2019, 09:42 AM   #62
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That cab driver must have been pretty weirded out. "Evening gentlemen - going to... Chernobyl this evening? Anything I should, um, know?"
It's been suggested that the cab camera is a low-light or night-vision camera, and is giving false color monochrome. The dark clothes are showing up white through this lens.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 10:04 AM   #63
bytewizard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's been suggested that the cab camera is a low-light or night-vision camera, and is giving false color monochrome. The dark clothes are showing up white through this lens.
Using that logic, the men in the cab were white.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 11:24 AM   #64
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Those actually look just like the disposable jumpsuits I see painters wearing at body shops I do work at. Not quite like haz mat suits, but not completely unlike them ether. Wear it once and throw it away. I haven't heard anything about the brothers wearing any sort of disposable clothing on their way to the "attack", but it would be a good way to try and cover ones tracks. Be seen in white up until it's time to go all red hat on his ass, peel off the throw away jumpsuit and you're bad in black, ready to attack.

Last edited by Mike!; 25th June 2019 at 11:30 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:32 PM   #65
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Fresh video, from our friends at TMZ, that shows Jussie and the brothers wandering the streets, not quite together, shortly before the "attack"...

https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/02/jussi...others-attack/

Of course Smollett's camp are claiming, "fake news"!

https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/01/jussi...lleged-attack/

Last edited by Mike!; 3rd July 2019 at 12:35 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 08:49 AM   #66
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Jussie Smollett Wants $130,000 Lawsuit Moved to Federal Courts

Originally Posted by Yahoo!
...According to a motion filed by Smollett's legal team, and obtained by The Blast, the former "Empire" star wants a federal judge to preside over the proceedings as the City of Chicago tries to recover $130,000 in costs from the investigation into his alleged hoax attack.

As grounds for movement to the federal courts, Smollett's attorneys argue the star is a resident in California, which fits the bill for moving the case to a federal courthouse...
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...233429563.html
Old 4th July 2019, 09:44 AM   #67
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Good lord, this is never going to end.
Old 4th July 2019, 09:50 AM   #68
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Good lord, this is never going to end.

It hasn't even been six months since the letter event occurred. Real life doesn't move at TV crime show pace.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 11:04 AM   #69
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
It hasn't even been six months since the letter event occurred. Real life doesn't move at TV crime show pace.
Oh jeez, you sure showed me. Don't I feel dumb now. Heehee, yup, that's me, crime show watcher of the century. Can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

This might surprise you, but I think crime shows are an abomination. I don't think I've watched one since like 2006.

I was commenting more on Smollett's unwillingness to just stay down. I had no dog in the original fight, and I believe race-based attacks happen frequently. It's just really obvious that one didn't happen this time.
Old 7th July 2019, 11:19 AM   #70
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

And we still have the US Mail used in a crime...

So far going unpunished, which is very unusual to me.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 03:44 PM   #71
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Lawyers for Jussie Smollett on Friday filed motions contending that because the actor was the victim of an attack earlier this year in Chicago a judge should reverse his decision to appoint a special prosecutor.
Old 19th July 2019, 03:46 PM   #72
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus ******* Christ what a ********.
Old 19th July 2019, 03:51 PM   #73
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Are Jussie and his lawyers being consistent on this point:

Quote:
The documents make clear that Smollett, 37, is still proclaiming his innocence and exoneration. (He wasn't exonerated, he was just not prosecuted.) Smollett continues to blame two Chicago brothers, his former personal trainers, for attacking him and then lying to avoid prosecution by telling police Smollett himself staged the attack.
I thought Jussie was still insisting his attackers were white, which contradicts some of what his lawyers have said.

Source for quote above:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...es/1779306001/

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 19th July 2019 at 03:54 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:43 PM   #74
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Smollett told the police that his attacker(s) had white skin. Then later when police told him that the brothers were his attackers he said that they are "black as sin".

I don't know how his lawyers plan to proceed but it looks as though Smollett is doubling down on everything and claiming that he never lied about anything. The brothers have already testified before a Grand Jury and they believed what the brothers are saying. There is evidence to back up their story.

The brothers are suing Smollett's lawyers for defamation.
Old 26th July 2019, 10:25 AM   #75
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

In a case that just won’t seem to die, lawyers for Jussie Smollett filed court papers Thursday to answer a charge that they are not legally allowed to practice in the state of Illinois and therefore shouldn’t be able to fight to block a judge’s ruling appointing a special prosecutor in Smollett’s case.

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/jus...lle-1836716569
Old 29th July 2019, 05:04 AM   #76
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Any facts to report re: the opening of the Smollett files?
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 03:15 PM   #77
Mike!

Judge refuses to reconsider appointing special prosecutor in Jussie Smollett investigation.

“Re-prosecution ... may only occur if considerations are met, i.e., reasonable grounds exist to re-prosecute Mr. Smollett,” the judge said. “Whatever my opinion might be really has no bearing because that is up to the special prosecutor.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...gmi-story.html

Last edited by Mike!; 31st July 2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 31st July 2019, 03:18 PM   #78
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Judge refuses to reconsider appointing special prosecutor in Jussie Smollett investigation.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...gmi-story.html
To be clear: The judge had previously appointed a special prosecutor. Smollett's legal team protested. The judge has dismissed their protests, and the appointment of the special prosecutor stands.

This is a negative development for Jussie Smollett, and a positive development for those who hope that Jussie Smollett may someday get rekt.
Old 14th August 2019, 02:21 PM   #79
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Apparently Empire is filming at the location of Smollett's faked attack. Curious what they'll do with that.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/8/...mollett-attack

Old 14th August 2019, 02:41 PM   #80
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Apparently Empire is filming at the location of Smollett's faked attack. Curious what they'll do with that.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/8/...mollett-attack

Two blocks away. Which would make its significance unrecognizable to all except neighborhood locals. It's probably just a reasonable setting for whatever New York street scene they want to portray in their show.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events