ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Old 14th August 2019, 02:43 PM   #81
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Apparently Empire is filming at the location of Smollett's faked attack. Curious what they'll do with that.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/8/...mollett-attack
It's where they're going to kill off his character by using a body double.
Old 15th August 2019, 06:20 AM   #82
Whip
Graduate Poster

writing him off by the character committing a hoax would be lollerz.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 04:58 PM   #83
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

The special prosecutor has been identified as Dan Webb.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...p2e-story.html

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 08:15 PM   #84
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

PR firm: ‘Every iota’ of Smollett claim true; police differ

Quote:
CHICAGO — Jussie Smollett’s PR team says “every iota” of his account of being the victim of a racist, anti-gay attack in Chicago is supported by police evidence despite police repeatedly saying it was all staged.

A statement emailed Wednesday follows a city filing Monday defending its lawsuit seeking to recoup costs of investigating what it says was a January publicity stunt.

The statement says “every iota of information … Smollett has stated has been fully corroborated.”
Old 29th August 2019, 01:12 AM   #85
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

Yes! I frickin' LOVE this thread! It just keeps on giving! Woohoo!!!!!
Old 30th August 2019, 08:58 AM   #86
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Unreal.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 05:17 PM   #87
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

This is not the full routine but it's a good bit.
Old 2nd September 2019, 04:58 AM   #88
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

This is not the full routine but it's a good bit.
Thank you, Dave.
Old 4th September 2019, 05:27 PM   #89
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Jussie Smollett lawyers: Even if actor faked attack, it was cops’ call to investigate it so vigorously

Originally Posted by Chicago Sun Times
The ex-”Empire’’ actor’s latest court filing, while not admitting he staged the incident, pins the decision to spend so much time and resources investigating squarely on law enforcement.

Chicago Sun Times reporter Michael Sneed learned exclusively that late Tuesday night, his attorneys filed a motion responding to the city’s claim that he should pay the city more than $130,000 to cover police overtime and other costs. The city says the costs were incurred in connection with an investigation into a report he filed claiming he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in River North...

...the latest court filing contends even if Smollett did make a false report, there is no way the city can assert he would have known the city would investigate — and investigate it to the extent cops did.

“We contend the city is wrong,” William J. Quinlan, of The Quinlan Law Firm, said of the city’s assertion that Smollett should have known the police would log nearly 2,000 hours in overtime trying to resolve the case. “ ... The mere fact somebody filed a police report doesn’t presume the investigation will be done and certainly not to the extent of what the city is claiming.”

He added: “Smollett has no control over that.”

In the legal brief, obtained by Sneed, Smollett makes clear that he “disputes any and all assertions that he made a false statement and was not a victim of a crime.”

But even if he did, “The filing of a police report, in and of itself, does not necessitate a sprawling investigation nor does it, as a practical matter, usually result in an investigation as extensive as the one the CPD chose to undertake in this case,” the motion says.

It goes on to say the city “has failed to allege that Mr. Smollett was similarly ‘well aware’ that his statements to police would result in 1,836 hours of police overtime, or any other reasons why he should have known this would have been the case.”...
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...ophobic-attack
Old 4th September 2019, 06:03 PM   #90
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Jussie Smollett lawyers: Even if actor faked attack, it was cops’ call to investigate it so vigorously

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...ophobic-attack
I'm actually sympathetic to this line of defense.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 06:13 PM   #91
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Smollett could have stopped the investigation and expenditure of taxpayer money at any time simply by confessing.

His narcissism is costing him lots of money. He lost his job. He's paying lawyers and a public relations group and he may be forced to pay what the city is now asking for.
Old 4th September 2019, 06:18 PM   #92
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Smollett could have stopped the investigation and expenditure of taxpayer money at any time simply by confessing.

His narcissism is costing him lots of money. He lost his job. He's paying lawyers and a public relations group and he may be forced to pay what the city is now asking for.
I agree. I don't think it's necessarily a winning argument, but I do think it's a valid point to raise, and for the courts to consider.

On the other hand, "the cops weren't supposed to take hate crimes so seriously!" is probably not a good narrative for him.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 06:48 PM   #93
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We read about a few recreational drugs that he uses. It seems possible that, depending on his level of usage, that he could (for the hoax and now ongoing) experience drug-induced psychosis. The modern skunk weed (very high THC level) can bring psychosis with regular usage. In that state a person can make horrible and permanently damaging decisions which seem to be the right thing to do at the time. The stress of being caught may have caused him to ramp up his usage.

His lawyers and the PR guys might prefer to take his money down to the last penny rather than advise him to stop this runaway train. It's difficult for me to imagine that those people actually think that he is innocent.
Old 4th September 2019, 07:03 PM   #94
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And if they hadn't put extra effort into the investigation, Smollett and his allies would have accused them of not taking this horrific hate crime seriously enough because of racism and/or homophobia.
Old 4th September 2019, 09:23 PM   #95
pharphis
Master Poster

I'm not very sympathetic to that line of defense.

To me it's not much different than someone who drinks and drives - they have no way to know how severe the cost might be, but they still did it. Just because one night is more dangerous than another for drinking and driving doesn't make the driver less responsible, imo.

Besides, we all know he's lying and this is just to try to minimize costs. It's his only reasonable shot at doing so.

I also concur with the sentiment that if he was a victim that people would be a lot more upset if the police didn't take it seriously enough. Well, how serious did he want them to take it when he kept insisting what happened is true and never backed out?
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 10:33 PM   #96
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
“Smollett has no control over that.”
"I had no control over the fact that California decided to spend $3 billion fighting wild fires."

"You set the fires!"

"Still, they're the ones that decided to spend the money."

Smollett is a douche who deserves to do time and foot the bill.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 11:00 PM   #97
fromdownunder
Philosopher

And if they hadn't put extra effort into the investigation, Smollett and his allies would have accused them of not taking this horrific hate crime seriously enough because of racism and/or homophobia.
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
I also concur with the sentiment that if he was a victim that people would be a lot more upset if the police didn't take it seriously enough. Well, how serious did he want them to take it when he kept insisting what happened is true and never backed out?
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Smollett is a douche who deserves to do time and foot the bill.

My sympathies are with the above comments, except the "do time" bit, as he has already screwed up any potential future acting career he may have had and is already doing time, and will do so for the rest of his life.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 05:25 AM   #98
Drewbot
Philosopher

Dave Chappelle really picked up on a couple of points we made in this thread.

"It was 2AM... -12 degrees ... walking... where were you going?"

"Subway"

"SAMMWHICHES???!??!"

Also,

"Can you identify the attackers?"

"They were wearing Maga hats."

"MAGA HATS?!?!?! Go find Kanye, see where he was"

Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 11:26 AM   #99
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
My sympathies are with the above comments, except the "do time" bit, as he has already screwed up any potential future acting career he may have had and is already doing time, and will do so for the rest of his life.
The obnoxious narcissism and self serving arrogance displayed after the hoax just pushes the whole thing over the top. His insistence on being acknowledged as a hero is really tough to take.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 09:27 AM   #100
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
False crime reports are some of the worst crimes and should be punished as a deterrent. If the police had picked up a couple of people who they got to confess to the crime, as interrogation techniques are designed to do, do you think Smollett would have stepped up to clear them, or do you think he would have let them go through the process?

The issue here isn't that Smollett should dodge jail because no one was harmed by his lies. The issue is that by sheer luck, and decent police work, innocent people dodged a life ruining encounter with the law. Smollett, and his type, need to be made aware of that.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 08:56 AM   #101
Drewbot
Philosopher

Ideally, the CPD should have arranged a reverse hoax on Smollett.

They should have claimed to have arrested a young African American, who had just started a job, and had three children, and was working his way through college, and seen if they could force JUSSIE SMOLLETT to confess.

I'd bet Smollett would not confess.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 06:59 PM   #102
Mike!

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Ideally, the CPD should have arranged a reverse hoax on Smollett.

They should have claimed to have arrested a young African American, who had just started a job, and had three children, and was working his way through college, and seen if they could force JUSSIE SMOLLETT to confess.

I'd bet Smollett would not confess.
A similar twist, although I doubt legal, could have been to dress a couple white cops as Smollette described his attackers, put them in a line up and see if he'd identify them as the culprits. Would he be willing to go ahead with it, and potentially send two innocent men to trial and even jail, just to put a cherry on the ruse? Given how far he's gone so far, I'd guess, yes.
Old 12th September 2019, 10:26 AM   #103
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Dave Chappelle takes some digs at Jussie in his recent Netflix special. It's pretty funny:
I AGREE

Hmm... embedding didn't seem to work for me. Also try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Ziggurat; 12th September 2019 at 10:28 AM.
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:48 AM   #104
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Dave Chappelle takes some digs at Jussie in his recent Netflix special. It's pretty funny:
I AGREE

Hmm... embedding didn't seem to work for me. Also try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124
Thanks for this! I just tried the second link. It is funny!!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events