ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th August 2019, 08:10 AM   #1401
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I like the status quo myself. Men and women in separate restrooms and dressing rooms. If it says you are a man or a woman on your birth certificate or if your appearance would suggest a gender then you must use the facilities that other people identify with. If you an intact man going into the ladies room or girls room is wrong.

It depends on the type of genitalia a person has.
Old 25th August 2019, 12:27 PM   #1402
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I'm assuming that one side of the room had sinks, with mirrors above the sinks. The other side of the room had a row of changing cubicles. The intended use of the changing cubicles was to keep your clothes on when not in the cubicle. If you open the door intentionally when your clothes are off, you're flashing.
It's a weird design.
I think designing changing rooms where the mirrors are parallel to the changing cubicles is not the best design and causes problems.

The design should have the sinks and mirrors perpendicular to the cubicles.

The last 2 swimming pools I visited here in the UK were designed like that. It could stop the 'mirror' vagueness.

Last edited by p0lka; 25th August 2019 at 12:49 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:37 PM   #1403
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Maybe p0lka is also two and thinks female peeping toms are as common as male flashers..
I'm 50, I dont think either of them are common.

But I wouldn't rule out 'female peeping toms' like you are doing, just because you haven't met any yet.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:46 PM   #1404
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I like the status quo myself. Men and women in separate restrooms and dressing rooms. If it says you are a man or a woman on your birth certificate or if your appearance would suggest a gender then you must use the facilities that other people identify with. If you an intact man going into the ladies room or girls room is wrong.

It depends on the type of genitalia a person has.
genitaelia genetalia, its moved on.
It's now all about mirrors and changing room design, please do try to keep up
Old 26th August 2019, 12:36 AM   #1405
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
It's a weird design.
I think designing changing rooms where the mirrors are parallel to the changing cubicles is not the best design and causes problems.

The last 2 swimming pools I visited here in the UK were designed like that. It could stop the 'mirror' vagueness.
If there are plenty of cubicles and sinks then that design would lead to a lot of wasted floor space. Think about it.

I can't tell if you're just joshing here, trolling-lite as it were.
Old 26th August 2019, 01:21 AM   #1406
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
It's a weird design.

Ideally you would just have mirrors in the cubicles
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 02:26 PM   #1407
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
If there are plenty of cubicles and sinks then that design would lead to a lot of wasted floor space. Think about it.

I disagree, I think it would optimise space.
Rectangular room,
make the short sides of the room sinks and mirrors , then make the cubicles in long lines going from short side to other short side so that the doors are perpendicular to the mirrors, job done.
no one is using 'plausible deniability' peeking or flashing at anyone in mirrors anymore.

Last edited by p0lka; 26th August 2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 26th August 2019, 05:25 PM   #1408
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post

as an aside, can you stop doing that.
if you assume that everyone who disagrees with you is 'trolling', then you are setting yourself up to cease learning, whilst being snobby and looking down your nose at everything too.
Old 26th August 2019, 08:21 PM   #1409
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I like the status quo myself......

Way too simple and perfect. In fact this method has been working since - a long long time ago. It must be stopped now!
Old 3rd September 2019, 04:17 AM   #1410
Samson
Philosopher

A nice little fracas emerges in polite New Zealand

She said while trans people were vulnerable and "justly" claiming their right to equal treatment, the free speech of those who opposed "male-bodied trans women" entering "female-only spaces" was being shut down with accusations of hate speech.

The article was taken down after a about week, following a series of complaints by members.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12264492

My view is asymmetry is sancrosanct. In boxing, horse racing and dog fights it is best said
"a good big'un always beats a good little'un"

Why not just let the women in society claim their rights to not be beaten.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 06:07 AM   #1411
Strawberry
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
A nice little fracas emerges in polite New Zealand

She said while trans people were vulnerable and "justly" claiming their right to equal treatment, the free speech of those who opposed "male-bodied trans women" entering "female-only spaces" was being shut down with accusations of hate speech.

The article was taken down after a about week, following a series of complaints by members.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12264492

My view is asymmetry is sancrosanct. In boxing, horse racing and dog fights it is best said
"a good big'un always beats a good little'un"

Why not just let the women in society claim their rights to not be beaten.
Probably because a lot of the trans activists and their allies enjoy beating women.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 07:11 PM   #1412
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
A nice little fracas emerges in polite New Zealand.
I'll take bizarre obscurantia held in common by Green Party NZ and Atheists Community of Austin for $500.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 11:09 AM   #1413
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Transwoman viciously beaten after using women's public restroom in Oregon. Her attacker broke her jaw after confronting her nearly an hour after she dared to use a women's bathroom in a public park. The man has been charged with felony hate crime in connection with the assault.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/201...ourishing.html

Right wing rag The Federalist already out in force carrying water for this violent psychopath, explaining that it is rational to fear men in women's restrooms.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:51 AM   #1414
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Transwoman viciously beaten after using women's public restroom in Oregon. Her attacker broke her jaw after confronting her nearly an hour after she dared to use a women's bathroom in a public park. The man has been charged with felony hate crime in connection with the assault.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/201...ourishing.html

Right wing rag The Federalist already out in force carrying water for this violent psychopath, explaining that it is rational to fear men in women's restrooms.
Here is the Federalist article.
Old 8th September 2019, 05:17 PM   #1415
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

That's really bad. So by inference if someone was beaten up by a sociopathic thug because they ran a red light, we should make it legal for everyone to run red lights?
Old 8th September 2019, 06:28 PM   #1416
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
That's really bad. So by inference if someone was beaten up by a sociopathic thug because they ran a red light, we should make it legal for everyone to run red lights?
where did the assumption of the light being red come from?

Isn't that like that poisoning the well expression.
Old 9th September 2019, 02:26 AM   #1417
dann
Philosopher

Is it rational to run red lights? Is it rational to use a bathroom? Who risks getting hurt in the two cases?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 03:06 AM   #1418
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Is it rational to run red lights? Is it rational to use a bathroom? Who risks getting hurt in the two cases?
Rolfe has spent the entire thread explaining why she has problems with males using the female bathroom.

You may disagree with her position, but don't pretend she hasn't expressed it.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 04:16 AM   #1419
dann
Philosopher

You obviously disagree with my position, but I would like to see her take her own comparison with running a red light seriously. I can't be bothered about how you interpret it.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 05:54 AM   #1420
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
You obviously disagree with my position, but I would like to see her take her own comparison with running a red light seriously. I can't be bothered about how you interpret it.
I'm not actually sure I do disagree with your position. As to your questions:
Quote:
Is it rational to run red lights? That's an odd question. Sometimes it probably is, but we still need to prohibit it. Is it good for society to prohibit running red lights? Yes.

Is it rational to use a bathroom? Of course. Is it rational to segregate bathrooms based on gender rather than sex? That seems like a more meaningful question, though, again "rational" is an odd choice of metric. I'd rather inquire into whether it's good for society as whole, since we as a society have to make these decisions. And that seems to be the question that's been under discussion for a great deal of this thread.

As to "who risks getting hurt in the two cases?" With respect to the person running the red light, both that person and others on the road are at risk. With respect to bathrooms, the situation actually seems to be similar.

Anyway, I'm commenting on your questions now. My last post was simply a comment on the framing which seemed to ignore Rolfe's entire posting history in this thread.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events