ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 28th August 2019, 03:14 PM   #41
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
the government initiated things just this morning by asserting control over Exarchia, although I'm not expecting that assertion to be disputed, or at least not successfully, since - if my information is correct - there's a special 2000-strong police contingent mobilized for the operation.
It got disputed, but not successfully nor did it really seem to be the intention of doing so successfully, from here

Originally Posted by NoState
Today Wednesday, 28th August 2019, around 02:30am, while a group of 30 anarchists attacked the MAT (riot cops) at the corner of tositsa/trikoupi streets with cocktails molotovs MAT (riot cops) who surprised of the attack and got burn by cocktails molotovs, started to destroy and smash the banners, which were out side the steki place of anarchist immigrants.
During the event of last night, the cops haven’t entered inside the steki but clearly showed up their anger with smashing the steki because they got burn of flying of cocktails Molotov’s on their empty head and dancing fair under their ass.
As long as, there is hope, there is struggle/ as long as, there is life, there will be struggle
Squatted Steki of anarchist immigrants(Tsamadou 19)
The night before, property rights were also asserted over the New Democracy headquarters, as referenced in the previous post. It further appears that the cops are late on their time schedule, they were going to raid all the squats by the end of the week but have only done 4 so far on Monday, which apparently were the least well-guarded ones in the North-Western corner of the district.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 11:38 PM   #42
erwinl
Master Poster
 
erwinl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,347
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It got disputed, but not successfully nor did it really seem to be the intention of doing so successfully, from here



The night before, property rights were also asserted over the New Democracy headquarters, as referenced in the previous post. It further appears that the cops are late on their time schedule, they were going to raid all the squats by the end of the week but have only done 4 so far on Monday, which apparently were the least well-guarded ones in the North-Western corner of the district.
Setting people on fire and trying to kill them very much puts the anarchists firmly in the evil category that has to be locked up in jail.
__________________
Bow before your king
Member of the "Zombie Misheard Lyrics Support Group"
erwinl is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 04:22 AM   #43
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Setting people on fire and trying to kill them very much puts the anarchists firmly in the evil category that has to be locked up in jail.
More sermons? Great! Do you do masses too? And you didn't seriously expect them to just let themselves be dragged off to the camps without giving you one hell of a fight over it, did you?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 06:04 AM   #44
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It further appears that the cops are late on their time schedule, they were going to raid all the squats by the end of the week but have only done 4 so far on Monday
A possible explanation could be here (from Spirou 17, one of the squats that got raided):
Originally Posted by Spirou 17
Update
Yesterday night we were moved to a building in the outskirts of Athens. Today they brought two media in order to do propaganda, and they tried to push us to say that they have saved us. We answered them that we will not lie. We have been evicted by them from our house, from our safe place, just to become homeless again. Now the media is not here any more and they are saying to us that they don't have any place for us to stay. They have destroyed our home and they are trying to use us as puppets in their political games.

THEIR REPRESSION SHALL NOT PASS.
The government was probably thinking that they'd be able to intimidate the refugees into agreeing to help their media propaganda, and then use that as a justification for the rest of the evictions. Looks like it didn't work, and not for lack of trying, they even broke the teeth of some of the kids.

Either way, the first group arrived at the Sakaramagas camp:
Originally Posted by Spirou 17
This morning at 8 am they woke us up and they took us to Sakaramagas camp. We had to pick up our bags once again, for the third time since we got evicted. When we arrived to the camp they informed us that we had to wait for another bus to move us to several different camps around Greece. Most of us had to move to places around Thessaloniki, over 400 km from here. We don't want to do that. They are playing with us.
They have evicted us from our house and they have destroyed it, but they will not also take away the life we have managed to create here in Athens. Our children are going to the school in Exarcheia and we refuse to make them leave it and have to adapt to a new place once again. We want to stay here. We answered them that we will not go anywhere against our will.
We keep strong.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 29th August 2019 at 06:11 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 12:31 PM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 44,955
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
"[The letter from residents of the area] also claims that drugs are openly sold, even outside primary schools.

“The children of Exarcheia cannot play in their neighborhood. They are imprisoned in their houses, behind bars and railings that resemble high security prisons,” the letter notes.

The residents say that the state is “scandalously indifferent” to their plight, an attitude that is tantamount to “tolerating lawlessness.”

link

There endless accounts of the terrible conditions in the area. A cleanup was long overdue and will be welcomed by the ordinary people of Exarcheia.
Wow, you mean anarchy does not work in the real world?
What a freaking surprise.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 12:41 PM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 44,955
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
What's the source of what you're hearing?



Ah, OK. Trolling.
When two cops were killed during the Charllotesville riots, caveman said "At last some good news".
So he has been a brave,edgy revolutionary fighter behind his keyboard for some time.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 12:49 PM   #47
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 25,221
In other news, the migrants detained have not been dumped in squalid tent camps.

"Nine migrants who had no documents with them the process to deport them is expected to begin.

134 migrants are currently accomodated in a hotel, while those to be deported are in facilities of the Greek police."

We know of one such hotel, as we used it a couple or times a few years back to break long plane/car journeys. It's a really nice place on the outskirts of Corinth, airy and spacious, gardens out back, a huge chess set with 2' pieces ... you get the picture. These last 2 years we tried to book it after trips to the UK but it was unavailable. It's been permanently booked for migrants. It's almost certainly a good deal for the hotel, as such touristy places are only heavily booked for a month or two of the year.

I'm not saying that all such places are so nice - in fact I seriously doubt that they are - but the rather hysterical tone of the o/p and his subsequent posts suggests a desire to put the Greek action in the worst possible light.
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 12:59 PM   #48
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
In other news, the migrants detained have not been dumped in squalid tent camps.
And where are you getting that news from? You claim they're in a nice hotel, I claim they're in Sakaramagas camp. My evidence is statements by the social media accounts of the squats and pictures of the migrants involved showing them to be in said camp. What's your evidence?

Quote:
a desire to put the Greek action in the worst possible light
If you believe any of my reporting to be inaccurate then you're free to refute it.

In other other news: More than 1,100 unaccompanied refugee and migrant children in Greece need urgent shelter and protection
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 29th August 2019 at 01:28 PM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 11:55 PM   #49
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 25,221
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
And where are you getting that news from? You claim they're in a nice hotel, I claim they're in Sakaramagas camp. My evidence is statements by the social media accounts of the squats and pictures of the migrants involved showing them to be in said camp. What's your evidence?
The 134 – chiefly families from Afghanistan and Iraq – have been staying in a hotel in Thrakomakedones, eastern Attica, since their eviction. Another nine economic migrants face deportation.

Meanwhile - Google images of Sakaramagas camp, and compare the conditions to the squats of Exarchia. Are you seriously suggesting that those people were better off in the squats?

An example - note the power lines, satellite dishes, air con and solar hot water systems. External and self-help groups deliver education to the kids, some of whom haven't been to school for years, if ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skaramagas.jpg (89.3 KB, 7 views)
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut

Last edited by GlennB; 30th August 2019 at 12:22 AM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 02:54 AM   #50
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Your own source contradicts you: "A total of 134 asylum seekers who were evicted from occupied buildings in Exarchia in downtown Athens, on Monday are to be moved to state reception facilities in the coming days."

Your source is from 27 Aug, the day after the eviction. Yes it is true they stayed at a building (apparently a hotel) the night after their eviction, before being dispatched to camps. You can verify the day-to-day movement of the migrants on the social media accounts, on the morning of 28 Aug they were moved to Sakaramagas camp, to be moved further to various other camps.

It's safe to say that this story of them being given accommodation in "really nice hotels" is propaganda, just like pretty much everything else the government has been claiming about these operations.

Quote:
Meanwhile - Google images of Sakaramagas camp, and compare the conditions to the squats of Exarchia. Are you seriously suggesting that those people were better off in the squats?
1. They're not staying at Sakaramagas camp long-term.
2. If it's so much better, why would they need to be intimidated by the cops to try to get them to declare to the media that they were "saved" by them?
3. If it's so much better, why are they claiming the opposite? It is, after all, they who are claiming that they were better off in the squats.
4. Everyone knows what the real conditions are in the Greek camps, it only takes a small google search to check what the EU camps in Greece are like.
5. It's also easy enough to compare interviews of other migrant groups both in the squats and in the camps to see which one they believe themselves to be better off in. I already referenced both the Guardian and the BBC above for this comparison, but it's easy to find a lot more information on it.

Quote:
An example - note the power lines, satellite dishes, air con and solar hot water systems. External and self-help groups deliver education to the kids, some of whom haven't been to school for years, if ever.
What kids haven't been to school? The kids went to school in Exarchia, which should be easily verifiable with school records.

Less propaganda and more reality, please.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 30th August 2019 at 03:20 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 04:52 AM   #51
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Last night the central square and the social center Vox in Exarchia was attacked by the police, they seemed mostly interested in beating the crap out of anyone they could find.

Originally Posted by Yannis Youlountas
At the moment in Athens!

VERY VIOLENT ATTACK OF GREEK POLICE IN EXARCHIA: INJURED, PANIC, ARREST

While the evening was friendly and musical, both in the square Exarcheia with a free concert in self-managed social centers like the K * Vox where many people listened to music while having a drink, the Greek police just suddenly attacked with incredible violence.

The MATs (CRS) fired tear gas, grenades and clubbed many people in the square and up to the K * Vox. In this very symbolic place, known to be the base of the anarchist group Rouvikonas, the police have done a lot of damage, hit people, broken chairs and windows, and most of all, they threw a tear gas grenade in this closed place to endanger the many people stranded inside.

Several wounded, including a comrade Rouvikonas clubbed violently by the CRS in the cloud of smoke. He was rushed to the hospital. A member of the Notara 26 also appears among the wounded (to be confirmed).

In several surrounding streets, refugee families fled at high speed, taking some business with them. There were at least 4 arrests, probably more.

What has just happened confirms the deeply fascist nature (1) (2) of the police operation "Law and Order" commissioned by the new Greek government against the rebel and solidarity district of Athens (3). An evacuation advised for several years by some European leaders (4).

It turns out that in the news, a few hours earlier, several TV channels including Star News have announced the government's willingness to sanction more heavily the resistance that begins to be organized in Exarcheia and its surroundings. It has been said, while showing the Notara logo on the screen, that "the hard-line anarchists who fight alongside the migrants will be severely repressed."

The threats of the State and its militia will do nothing: Exarcheia resists and remains standing. From Saturday at noon, a large gathering will take place in the central square of the district. And responses are being prepared everywhere.

To be continued...

Thank you for your many messages of support, your photos, your actions we will talk about tomorrow: there are on all continents!

Yannis Youlountas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9zrF9s27g

(1) http://blogyy.net/…/exarcheia-...-main-…/
(2) http://blogyy.net/…/letat-grec...-dans-…/
(3) http://blogyy.net/…/grece-la-c...est-ou…/
(4) http://blogyy.net/2019/08/08/le-mauvais-exemple-grec/

#EXARCHEIA_RESIST #ROUVIKONAS_RESIST #N26_RESIST
Question for GlennB:
Quote:
In several surrounding streets, refugee families fled at high speed
If it's so much better for them in those lovely Greek camps which are like "really nice hotels" then why are the refugees fleeing at the sight of the cops? Are they just playing hard to get to show their love for the Greek State?

ETA: From K*Vox:
Originally Posted by Vox
Last night we were attacked by repressive forces. Specifically, as they passed out of the squadron, they began to provoke us and beat us, and then attacked us with only their heads marked with clubs.

As a result of the MAT attack, there were some injured, some more seriously, who had to go to the hospital for head injuries. The comrades in the room prevented the cops from invading, fighting body to body in the entrance.

As the MATs receded, they threw teargas into K * BOX. Something that is an attempt to murder, as the space is closed and at that time was full of people.

Note that yesterday the Exarchia Square is full of people who want to attend the events taking place these days.

We invite you to a gathering at K * VOX at Exarchia Square, today 30/8/2019 at 20:00.

Everyone on the march tomorrow 31/8/2019 at 12:00, Exarchia Square.

No Pasaran!

K * VOX (Busy Social Center)
It appears the cops failed to actually take the squat.

Question for erwinl:
Quote:
As the MATs receded, they threw teargas into K * BOX. Something that is an attempt to murder, as the space is closed and at that time was full of people.
So preacher man, any sermon on the morality of throwing acrimonious gas grenades into enclosed spaces full of people?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 30th August 2019 at 06:06 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 05:17 AM   #52
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
The first night hasn't even passed yet, it's a bit early to tell who's asserting what
Property rights were asserted over the Greek consulate in Nantes, France.

Nantes (France). The window of the consulate of Greece vandalized
Originally Posted by Presse-Océan
The windows of the building, rue Léon-Jost in Nantes, were broken with hammers and the facade tagged.
The premises of the Consulate of Greece in Nantes were the target of damage in the night from Wednesday to Thursday. The showcase of the building, located rue Léon-Jost, was broken with hammers and the facade tagged. The damage was recorded this Thursday morning. No break-in was noticed.

The tag found beneath the consulate's plaque evokes Exarcheia, a popular area of ​​Athens, considered home to anarchism in Greece, where four buildings occupied by refugees were evacuated by police on Monday.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 30th August 2019 at 05:22 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 06:25 AM   #53
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It appears the cops failed to actually take the squat.
They took 4 people during the fight, of which one badly injured, but failed to take the squat. K*Vox stands!
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 30th August 2019 at 06:31 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 09:06 AM   #54
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
From here (see link for referenced pictures). Including several instances of property rights being asserted over various Greek consulates and other holdings internationally.

Originally Posted by Yannis Youlountas
A point on the many messages received from all over the world since a few days, with photos, press releases and information about actions against the embassy and consulate of Greece.

Actions and support on all continents: " don't touch exarcheia! " "

Messages are coming from Brazil, France, Australia, Spain, Algeria, Canada, Germany, Japan, Belgium, Uruguay, Eritrea, Scotland, Hong Kong, Mexico, Italy, Hong Kong, Mexico, Italy, and the United States. From Argentina, Portugal, Tunisia, Switzerland, Chile, the Netherlands, the United States...

To the point that we better raise the countries that we haven't received anything: Monaco, Vatican, Luxembourg, Cayman Islands, liechtenstein...

Impossible to publish everything here and now, among other emergencies, but here is a preview and some links to the latest news.

Several Embassy and consulate of Greece or Greek private foundations support of the new prime minister have been the subject of actions: broken windows and tags in Nantes (Photos #1 AND 2) and in montevideo in Uruguay (Photo #3). ), rallies in front of many consulate and embassy, especially in Bordeaux (Photos #4 TO 7) and Lyon (Photos #11 to 15). Mobilizations and sitting in many cities, for example in Glasgow, Scotland (Photos #16 to 19). Messages with tag from Melbourne in Australia (Photo #20) or with Cologne Banner in Germany (Photo #21). Call of the ntc that lists the list of consulate and Honorary Consulate in all regions of France to organize support rallies (Photos #22 and 23). Artistic Creations of all kinds in support of exarcheia (Photos #24 to 26). Actions with banners at Ferns in Brittany (Photo #27), in the occupied forest of osterholz in wuppertalen Germany (Photo #28), at the top of a building in Madrid (Photo #29), in Vienna, Austria (Photo #30) ), in saillans in the drôme (Photo #31), in martigues near Marseille (Photo #32), at the réole in gironde (Photos #33 and 34). Attacks on several buildings and vehicles related to power In Greece, especially the office of a member of the new democracy party in Patras (Photos #35 and 36). Tags against the operation "law and order" everywhere (Photo #37). Supporting texts in the Independent Press, for example in politis (Photo #38). Etc. Etc. Etc. (we'll come back to it)

Another important point: ai has just taken action against the evacuation of exarcheia, accused police forces of bully people and shock the many children (there were 35 children among the refugees. Is violent deported on Monday, including a little girl who had a broken tooth). Ai also denounces the lack of notice, among other critics against the Greek Government (Photo #39).

Tonight, several meetings take place in various points of the neighborhood and elsewhere in Greece. Tomorrow at noon, a big gathering will take place in the central square of exarcheia: if you are in Athens, take what you protect from the blow and avoid coming with children, or place yourself rather in withdrawal from the side of the street Themistokles (Photo #40).

Tomorrow night, we will be attending a visio-conference after a projection of love and the revolution in Montevideo, Uruguay, at the social centre self cordón north, at 18:30 local time by urguay what will lead us to a debate around midnight and a half , Athens time (Photos #41 to 43). Since the beginning of the attack on Monday on Monday, at least a dozen support projections have just been programmed to our knowledge, probably more (mainly with love and The Revolution because we talk about rouvikonas, nottara 26 and mitsotakis's will to clean up exarcheia, before even getting to power).

On Saturday, 14 September, a great protest will start from the propylaeum (not the propylaeum of the Acropolis, but the place-said next to the metro station panipistimiou, halfway between exarcheia and Parliament). Here too, if you can come, don't forget to take what you're protecting: the Greek police may be very violent, unless the opinion at the international level can weigh on the situation. For that, we're counting a lot on you, wherever you are!

Solidarity is our weapon!

No Pasaran!

Maud and yannis youlountas

Contact to send us your messages and photos of actions: Maud@Lamouretlarevolution.Net
In Case of emergency only: Maud 06 18 26 84 95 95 95) (prefer toothpaste). Reminder: Yannis's phone has been out of service (since a week).

Reminder: for the free screenings of our movies, especially in the places of struggle, no need to ask us! Serve yourself! Self-care
But, of course, if there can be support, we don't say no, since we're currently shooting the fourth film at the heart of the struggle for a month and a half with extremely limited technical and material means (second camera stolen, A HS computer, a HS phone, lack of hard drives and other very useful tools see indispensable, etc. ).).).).
If anyone among you has changed camera camera (with Detachable Lens + video function) and can offer us the old one, we are takers, not only for the movie, but also for our fellow automédias who work and struggle with us here!
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 12:32 PM   #55
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 44,955
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The 134 – chiefly families from Afghanistan and Iraq – have been staying in a hotel in Thrakomakedones, eastern Attica, since their eviction. Another nine economic migrants face deportation.

Meanwhile - Google images of Sakaramagas camp, and compare the conditions to the squats of Exarchia. Are you seriously suggesting that those people were better off in the squats?

An example - note the power lines, satellite dishes, air con and solar hot water systems. External and self-help groups deliver education to the kids, some of whom haven't been to school for years, if ever.
IMHO the refugees are being uses by the Anarchists to try to promote their ridiculous ideology
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 12:46 PM   #56
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Athens, Greece: The Powder Keg is Building – The Attack on K*Vox in Exarcheia (actual proper English rather than google translate this time) adding the following information:
Originally Posted by Anarchists Worldwide
{...}

According to an Anarchist Federation statement, the entire scenario for this offensive was set up earlier in the day. On Twitter, it was reported that DIAS (motorcycle cops) and MAT had been gathering in large numbers and carrying out ID controls throughout the Exarcheia area since the afternoon, leading up to the rally on Boubolina Street that took place at 6PM. After the attack at K*Vox there were clashes with the MAT, who covered the whole area with tear gas. They circled the whole of Exarcheia Square from all sides. According to the most recent information at least four (although in some places the number seven is circulating) people were detained.

As published by the radio station Radiofragmata at 00:56AM, the MAT troops marched through Themistokleous Street to Exarcheia Square and shouted to the passers-by: “You *********, you’re going to experience this every day now!” A quote that certainly captures the mood of this and the coming days. It is now certain that the State will use every reason / occasion to take action against the hated anarchists and leftists in the neighbourhood. Since the new right-wing government of Konstantinos Mitsotakis came to power the winds of repression seem to be blowing stronger than ever before – it is remarkable to observe the enormous effect this change of government is having on the Greek police. They are still in the neighbourhood and the mood is like a powder keg – in this unpredictable game of chess every spark, every misunderstanding, every action could lead to a huge explosion. According to eyewitness reports, a MAT cop pulled his gun out during the attack on K*Vox as a deterrent. Everyone is waiting for the escalation – but it is unclear when it will come. In the cafes and meeting place there is heated discussion – the signals are interpreted. The next big tests are coming soon: tonight’s meeting at K*Vox and tomorrow’s lunchtime demo, which starts at Exarcheia Square. There are still three festival evenings left. But “The Beautiful Exarcheia” will definitely not be on display.

{...}

Last night riot cops marched past K BOX, a popular bar as they hurled insults. Less than a minute later half of them broke off in an absolute rage. The look in their eye was one of violent revenge. This camera person was attacked on video.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 30th August 2019 at 12:50 PM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 05:55 PM   #57
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Facebook annihilates the audience of some of the radical left
Originally Posted by MediaPart
Faced with a sudden drop in the number of views of their publications, several Facebook pages of collectives of the radical left seek to understand what happened to them. Political censorship, economic, algorithms? Their questions, and those of Mediapart, remain unanswered.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 11:35 PM   #58
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,496
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
IMHO the refugees are being uses by the Anarchists to try to promote their ridiculous ideology

What do you base YHO on?
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 05:07 AM   #59
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
From here. At the link a map of the occupation status as of today is included, about 25% of the neighbourhood is under occupation. Most important point is the revelation of the government plan to attack all remaining squats simultaneously on Monday.
Originally Posted by Yannis Youlountas
Given the daily police violence that has intensified since the beginning of the occupation of the rebel and solidarity district of Athens:

"WE WILL SOON HAVE DEATH IN EXARCHEIA"

This sentence, many say this morning, in a corner of the neighborhood where we have lunch to a few, taking stock of the situation. An old anarchist companion is convinced that we are going to relive 1985 or 2008. In those years, a young activist had been murdered by a policeman, provoking every time very important riots. In December 2008, the power shook. More than 300 banks and luxury stores had burned. Parliament had been besieged.

Today, the atmosphere is not the same in society, but weariness is at its height. Something is smoldering. Like a pain in the belly.

The occupying forces of the district are multiplying the daily violence on the migrants, the local activists, the solidarity people coming from other countries and, more recently, a gay couple. In the north-west of the neighborhood squared by the police (see map), the situation becomes very complicated, especially for the squat Notara 26 which is in the middle of the area in question, almost surrounded by police stations. It is in this area that a gay couple has just been hit by police surveillance. It is also in this area that fascists have been spotted next to the cops, for example with t-shirts of the neo-Nazi supporters of Rome and the identities of Defend Europe.

But what is happening around the place is not better. The tear gas grenade that was thrown into the K * Vox self-managed social center, where a lot of people were, could have killed someone. It is also an illegal act, even in times of war, to gas a closed place. It is a criminal act theoretically punished by international tribunals.

It happens that inside the K * Vox, we sometimes have the visit of an old companion suffering from respiratory insufficiency. If he had been with us that night, he might be dead, so toxic smoke was thick inside the place whose exits were blocked by the uncontrollable police. Worse still, one of the members of the group has recently given birth and sometimes passes with her baby: what would have happened?

That's not all. As confirmed by Giorgos Kalaitzidis (co-founder of Rouvikonas) relayed by the self-managed media of the social movement, one of the police officers unsheathed his handgun while threatening. The witnesses are not lacking, members of the K * vox and visitors, almost everyone has seen, even if we have unfortunately no photo of the gesture. And if the policeman had fired, what would have happened to Exarcheia and beyond to Athens?

Last night, Giorgos Kalaitzidis, who knows the neighborhood and its history, wrote on his Facebook page (1):
"It will happen. It is very likely that we will soon have dead in Exarcheia. "

Given the evolution of the situation, the violence of the police occupation and the large number of fascists and barbouzes who mate in the wake of the cops, many of us think the same thing. This morning, a little before 9:00 (Greek time), shots were fired in the east of Exarcheia. Moments later, police voltigeurs were sighted. For now, we do not know exactly what happened. To be continued.

Almost every night anarchist and revolutionary groups in the neighborhood attack police detachments. The day before yesterday, some 50 insurgents attacked the police station located at the intersection of Tositsa and Spirou Trikoupi streets. The police statement speaks of a rain of fire and evokes the figure of "80 thrown Molotov cocktails" in a few seconds. The police reinforcements failed to catch the attackers who disappeared very quickly in the streets of the neighborhood.

NEW IMMINENT ATTACK OF THE POLICE
AGAINST 11 PLACES, INCLUDING THE NOTARA 26 AND THE K * VOX!

Instead of controlling his police and dismissing the fascist militia hanging out, the Greek government has decided to toughen up the situation in Exarcheia! Last night, television news, including on the Ant1 TV channel (equivalent to TF1), announced a change of state strategy: increased repression because of resistance and an imminent and simultaneous attack against 11 squats, on the grounds of the mobilization that is growing day by day and that the power wants to pick up speed. According to rumors, the Notara 26 and the K * Vox would be on the list.

We are talking about an attack on Monday at dawn or one of the following days. Given the number of places targeted by the operation, their distribution scattered around the neighborhood and the strong symbol they represent for the social movement, the state would need a real police armada, much larger than last Monday.

This end-to-end strategy shows that Kyriakos Mitsotakis has only to make consequences. He wants to seduce the hard right and finish with this area that is a task in the project of gentrification Athenian. He also wants to meet the demand of some of his European counterparts who is worried about this symbol of resistance and utopia on the continent. There is not and there must be no alternative: we know the music.

Prepare companions and comrades. The coming hours will be decisive. We will need your support, your relay, your protest, wherever you are. The challenge is not only the defense of a unique neighborhood in Europe for its concentration of self-managed places, for the extent of its resistance to all powers, for the beauty of its solidarity with the precarious and migrant. . No, the stakes are more than that.

Defending Exarcheia is defending our right to show that other ways are possible, out of the current stalemate.

Yannis Youlountas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djuLvrGSFiI

(1) https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00016350693712

# EXARCHEIA_RESIST # N26_RESIST # ROUVIKONAS_RESIST

Important:
REMAIN IN CONTACT
1- HERE: Facebook has just brutally reduced the SEO and audience of many pages that broadcast revolutionary information. In this context, I urge you to check and mention more precisely who you want to follow by clicking on "see first" instead of "already subscribed". This is the only way to avoid our disappearance in your thread of news, both to continue to follow the situation on the spot in Exarcheia by my side for the other pages that you want to follow and whose audience has just dropped vertiginously .
2- ELSEWHERE: My publications having been deleted about twenty times and my Facebook account suspended several times,http://blogyy.net You can find the same info without censorship and sometimes others. For this, just write your email at the bottom of the right column on my blog (it is of course free).
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 31st August 2019 at 05:49 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 05:58 AM   #60
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
A demonstration of over 3000 residents (out of a population of about 22.000) pushed through the police lines and spills over the entire neighbourhood.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 10:19 AM   #61
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
The residents seem to conclude the day with
"No Pasaran!
Solidarity with the squats"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 02:12 PM   #62
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It got disputed
Video here, attack was on a MAT position at an intersection in the occupied part of the neighbourhood..
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 31st August 2019 at 02:26 PM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 05:52 AM   #63
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Last night the government again attacked the central square where free concerts were taking place, making good on their promise to the neighbourhood's residents the night before:
Originally Posted by Anarchists Worldwide
As published by the radio station Radiofragmata at 00:56AM, the MAT troops marched through Themistokleous Street to Exarcheia Square and shouted to the passers-by: “You *********, you’re going to experience this every day now!”
After that, the social center K*Vox was attacked again, after several attempts to approach and reason with the MAT outside had failed. The MAT ended up again throwing tear gas grenades inside as they had to retreat, having again failed to take the squat. A video of the first moments of this attack is here. K*Vox remains standing!

In response residents attacked several MAT positions throughout the neighbourhood.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 1st September 2019 at 06:09 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 08:32 AM   #64
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
From Solidarity Health Officers
Quote:
Wood after music

Shortly before the day changed, chemistry and monsters were once again closely involved in Exarchia Square and around it. There has been widespread use of chemicals by the police. In this choking environment we had a number of incidents with respiratory problems more severe than those with a loss of consciousness that required the use of volatile salt to restore consciousness and in some cases there was a temporary hearing loss or tinnitus from throwing bombers.

The police presence was extremely aggressive and provocative. We typically mention the brunt of the dummy as they walked up to Solomou Square just before 2 young people with disabilities "what are you looking at karyols" who reportedly had speech and hearing problems that were in shock and needed accompaniment for their decommissioning outside the area , after communicating with them in the sign. As we waited for the police to facilitate their transfer to a safer place, we accepted the insults from the racist commentary squad as well as a flash bomb.

An additional member of our collective who was directed to a person in need of assistance was attacked in the front with a suffocating and two flash-bombs fortunately without any damage to the ELAS squad. leading up to Arachovis. We confirm that the same squad attacked KVOX later and threw chemicals into the area.

Similar incidents have been reported of people being trapped inside shops around the square and a case of throwing flash bombers at a store entrance.
Finally we witnessed a broom operation at 2:30 in the early morning on Themistocles where two platoons tried to encircle and trap a small group of people who were by no means aggressive and chased them for arrest in Jabela, reports 1 man in Benaki. We had Benaki, Koletti & Metaxas by 3:00 in the morning.

All of the above clearly demonstrate the police plan for the area. It is clear that the police want to annihilate those who resist or look different. It gives us the impression that despite the zeal for law enforcement by the police forces, they have not at all touched on organized drug trafficking which continued its activity smoothly despite the presence of the police.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the comrades of K * BOX who offered us a rupee to replenish ours that were exhausted to continue our work.

Solidarity Health
Officers 1/9/2019
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 12:49 PM   #65
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
More solidarity messages from all over the world (also see comments).
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 1st September 2019 at 12:53 PM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 02:23 PM   #66
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Video here, attack was on a MAT position at an intersection in the occupied part of the neighbourhood..
Video from a different perspective.

Clashes are again occurring at this time and several streets have been barricaded (from here).
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 02:36 PM   #67
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
The first night hasn't even passed yet, it's a bit early to tell who's asserting what
Property rights were asserted over the Greek consulate in New York.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 04:44 PM   #68
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
And more teargas fired into the K*Vox but - apparently - without any actual attack this time. Just randomly gassing them, basically. From here
Quote:
And tonight..
3st time tear gas inside the closed space full of people of vox.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 05:21 PM   #69
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
The concert from last night. Video from Exarcheia Tourism
Quote:
Γυμνά Καλώδια keeps playing while molotovs, tear gas, rocks fly by until fires engulf side streets. Hundreds stay in defiance of the state.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:43 AM   #70
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Most important point is the revelation of the government plan to attack all remaining squats simultaneously on Monday.
The morning came and passed, no squats were taken, although there were persistent rumours that Nottara 26 would be taken. Exarchia remains standing!

An update from the migrants who were captured in the first raids on 4 squats last Monday:
Originally Posted by Spirou 17
Update about our current situation:
(Eng,Gr)

- Some of us we remain in Schisto camp, still without a place to stay. We were moved here and they tried to make us go to a camp near Thessaloniki, that we refused. For 6 days we are sleeping outside, demanding for a place in Athens to stay since all our life is here for 2 years, our kids are attending school here and some of us are working here. Now they have told us we don't have a place anymore in the camp in Thessaloniki, but anyway they want us out and they have threatened us that if we don't move from here they will call the police to make us leave by force one more time. We are sick and tired from the situation, but we are still resisting.
- In Eleonas camp we are not much better. We have been given half a container for 8 people, where we are piled up like animals in a farm. In addition, some of us have a fragile health condition which requires continuous medical attention, and that is not happening since they moved us here.
- The ones in Skaramagas camp we have a place but we have lost our freedom to move. In first place they didn't let us out and after they have let us go just for while, under time restrictions. We feel like being trapped and imprisoned.
- For the ones that we have "accepted" the place in a camp in the North, we are still waiting for it in a hostel in Thessaloniki. We are isolated and far away from everyone that we know, and to make it worse they have informed us that our cases will remain in Athens and from now on we will have to move there for every interview and legal precedure by our own means and expenses.
- The rest of us, that we have chosen to leave the camps to return back in our neighborhood, we have found place in other squats and self organised places, that they have shown us their active solidarity. However after what happened one week ago we are fearing that we are going to be evicted once again. We are scared about our lifes and our freedom and some of us have chosen to stay on the streets to avoid being chased and arrested for one more time.

They have tried to divide us, but we continue to struggle together, by staying under constant communication. They destroyed our home, but the family that we have created in Trikoupi's community remains united.

Against their repression, solidarity is our weapon and our answer!
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 04:28 AM   #71
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
In the meantime, Tuesday morning came and passed, no squats were taken. Exarchia remains standing!
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 06:25 AM   #72
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin
 
kmortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Texas (aka SOMD)
Posts: 30,821
Mod WarningA number of uncivil posts were moved to AAH. You are reminded to maintain a civil voice toward your fellow posters. This holds true even if you don't like what they are saying.
Keep it on topic.
Keep it civil.
The topic is not the other posters.
Posted By:kmortis
__________________
-Aberhaten did it
- "Which gives us an answer to our question. What’s the worst thing that can happen in a pressure cooker?" Randall Munroe
-Director of Independent Determining Inquisitor Of Crazy Yapping
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 08:56 AM   #73
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47,473
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ok, short version is that squatters (with laudable intent and service to refugees) are being kicked out of the places they have no actual right to be in anyway? Dealers and gang have been active there due to police being cool with the squatters since the '80's, and the cops have kind of lost their patience? Is that the scenario?
So true conservative heroes like the Bundys? Or not enough threatening law enforcement with guns to meet that criteria?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:14 AM   #74
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
A "mood video" from the demo Saturday:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Most recent: From here. Most important point is that the State is gradually retreating, although it's unknown whether it means a new large-scale operation is imminent or that the balance of power is shifting in the Exarchia's favour.
Originally Posted by Yannis Youlountas
Since yesterday, the cops are gradually retreat around the neighborhood, sometimes much further than usual. What's going on?

The Police are back in exarcheia: a coup or a result of a failed communication?

The facts are here, we are many to see them: there are fewer mat cars (CRS) and less surveillance posts in and around the neighborhood. Why? This is the question that many are asking today.

Guess 1: the calm before the storm. According to some sources, a new assault would be planned in the next few hours, even more powerful than last Monday's. In which case, the withdrawal of the police would simply be a coup of power to lower the vigilance and mobilization that has been rising in the last few days.

Guess 2: this unexpected withdrawal would be the result of the anger of homestay. Are they complaining more and more about police abuse in the neighborhood, incessant blow, repeated heckles to the point of confuse solidarity from other countries with tourists going to eat at the local restaurant, insults and brutality in front of their eyes Near the feared surveillance posts, shocking breaks several times free and family concerts in the square, fascists on the outfits of many police and on those of the types in civil at their side, police aggression against the social centre Self K * VOX during which the closed place was gassed to the point of endangered the lives of people blocked inside. In Short, it's the raz le bowl at many and the discussions are going well, even in people. Are D ' exarcheia who do not attend our places and collective.

[SNIP]
Edited by kmortis:  Snipped to comply with Rule 6
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by kmortis; 3rd September 2019 at 10:57 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 07:54 AM   #75
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,496
This is not quite to the point, but I think that all activists should know about this neat trick. I didn't know that you could do that with tear gas!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 01:24 PM   #76
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
In the meantime...

One more squat, Tsamadou 19, was attacked and smashed up by the MAT but they didn't keep it.

Exarchia remains standing!

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
The first night hasn't even passed yet, it's a bit early to tell who's asserting what
There are way too many solidarity actions and events taking place all over the world to report on, so I'll just stick to instances of property rights being asserted since Thermal seemed particularly interested in that.

Property rights were asserted over the Greek consulate in Munich, Germany as well as 4 buildings in Magdeburg, Germany.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


The owner of the K*Vox squat (the one which got nightly attacks several times as per the reports above) was contacted by the Public Prosecutor to request them filing a complaint about their property being occupied so it could be evicted (they can't evict unless the owner files a complaint) but the owner has refused to do so. The Public Prosecutor then launched the theory that maybe, at some point, some offence might have been committed inside the squat so an investigation team is poised to force entry just to make sure. For this another 220 cops will be assigned to MAT duty in Exarchia (above the 2000 already engaged).
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 10th September 2019 at 01:44 PM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 05:25 PM   #77
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
The first night hasn't even passed yet, it's a bit early to tell who's asserting what
Property rights were asserted over a prison company's vehicle in Hamburg, Germany; over a New Democracy (ruling Greek party) office in Athens, Greece; and a bunch of luxury AirBnb flats in Exarchia.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 07:29 PM   #78
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
In the meantime people have started playing the "I'm Rouvikonas!" game.

Will the real Spartacus please stand up?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 05:49 AM   #79
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,062
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
In the meantime...

One more squat, Tsamadou 19, was attacked and smashed up by the MAT but they didn't keep it.

Exarchia remains standing!



There are way too many solidarity actions and events taking place all over the world to report on, so I'll just stick to instances of property rights being asserted since Thermal seemed particularly interested in that.

Property rights were asserted over the Greek consulate in Munich, Germany as well as 4 buildings in Magdeburg, Germany.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


The owner of the K*Vox squat (the one which got nightly attacks several times as per the reports above) was contacted by the Public Prosecutor to request them filing a complaint about their property being occupied so it could be evicted (they can't evict unless the owner files a complaint) but the owner has refused to do so. The Public Prosecutor then launched the theory that maybe, at some point, some offence might have been committed inside the squat so an investigation team is poised to force entry just to make sure. For this another 220 cops will be assigned to MAT duty in Exarchia (above the 2000 already engaged).
Interesting that the paper owner of the K*Vox isn't filing a complaint for eviction, that the prosecutor has requested. Does anyone know why? Is the paper owner sympathetic?

eta: also interesting is how far right the US is, I forget sometimes. When this kind of conflict happens in the States, the place gets firebombed. US law enforcement tends not to be so restrained.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet

Last edited by Thermal; 13th September 2019 at 05:51 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 09:56 AM   #80
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Interesting that the paper owner of the K*Vox isn't filing a complaint for eviction, that the prosecutor has requested. Does anyone know why? Is the paper owner sympathetic?
I don't know why, but sympathy is a good bet. It should, hopefully, be clear by now that the government's story is a load of BS. There's a lot (meaning relative to the US, not "a lot" in absolute terms) of sympathy for the squats throughout Greek, and generally European, society. It's a political division that runs straight through society with a particular center of gravity in Exarchia, as can be seen for example by neighbourhood residents attacking MAT positions in solidarity with those holed up under surveillance in the squats.

Quote:
eta: also interesting is how far right the US is, I forget sometimes. When this kind of conflict happens in the States, the place gets firebombed. US law enforcement tends not to be so restrained.
It's because you're missing the entire left half of the political spectrum ever since the Red Scares, and somehow managed to argue yourselves into believing that liberals represent the political left. Instead of a culture of solidarity with resistance[*] you have a culture of thoughts and prayers with protest[*]. It's the same reason why you don't have free universal healthcare, free universal education, paid vacation, labour protections, etc.

To be clear, it's not because the State in the US is inherently more far-right. Most of the Athens police voted for Golden Dawn (a neo-nazi group) and, with some other factors, most of the MAT forces actually engaged in Exarchia can be expected to consist largely of politically outright fascists. What you're missing is something that reigns them in.

USA

State: "We're going to evict a squat to throw migrants into camps."
Liberal "leftists": "We'll write a strongly worded opinion piece on how immoral you are."
State: "Meh." *proceeds to evict the squat*

State: "We're going to firebomb a squat."
Liberals: "We're going to write two strongly worded opinion pieces on how immoral you are."
State: "Meh." *proceeds to firebomb a squat*

State: "We're going to firebomb a neighbourhood."
Liberals: "We're going to write a front page11!1!1!!!11!! strongly worded opinion piece on how immoral you are."
State: "Meh." *proceeds to firebomb a neighbourhood*

Greece

State: "We're going to evict all the squats to throw migrants into camps."
Leftists: "We're going to smash up your consulates all over the world as well your party offices."
State: *calculates...* "Well maybe just a couple of squats then."

State: "We're going to firebomb a squat."
Leftists: "We're going to give you generalized insurrection."
State: *calculates...* "Hmmm maybe just not yet."

State: "We're going to firebomb a neighbourhood."
Lefists: "How about getting to experience that nice titillating experience of having to run for your lives from your palaces?"
State: *quickly calculates...* "Yeah maybe better not do that."


[*] As for the distinction between protest and resistance:
Originally Posted by Ulrike Meinhof
Protest is when I say this does not please me. Resistance is when I ensure what does not please me occurs no more.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 13th September 2019 at 10:29 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.