ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd September 2019, 05:51 PM   #1
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Hurricane Dorian

Dorian has pretty well levelled much of the northern Bahamas.

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-us-un-bahamas

“We are in the midst of a historic tragedy,” said the Bahamian prime minister, Hubert Minnis. “The devastation is unprecedented and extensive.”
The dimensions of the humanitarian disaster began to emerge after the slow-moving storm, which took about 36 hours to cross the five-mile-wide Grand Bahama, finally left the country on Tuesday afternoon.

The storm hit Abaco island on Sunday as a category 5 hurricane with wind gusts of up to 220mph – making it the strongest Atlantic storm ever to make landfall, tied with the Labor Day hurricane of 1935.
In a country accustomed to harrowing encounters with fierce storms, Dorian registered as a disaster on another scale.

The equal stronget storm, but also the most destructive in those terms since it was very slow moving and stalled on top of the Bahamas for a day.

The Bahamas is going to find it very difficult to recover from this.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 3rd September 2019 at 05:54 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 12:05 AM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Due west is...Mar-a-lago!

Keep going, Dorian!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 12:19 AM   #3
a_unique_person

They are pretty sure Dorian will do a hard right before he gets there. There will probably be flooding of low lying streets due to higher tides and rising sea levels at the least, though.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 12:22 AM   #4
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Dorian has pretty well levelled much of the northern Bahamas.

The equal stronget storm, but also the most destructive in those terms since it was very slow moving and stalled on top of the Bahamas for a day.

It's noticeable that press interest only became really strong when it appeared to be a threat to the USA.

Did Trump ever pour money into Puerto Rica after the hurricane damage it suffered last year?

Reporting number of deaths in terms of who died immediately is incredibly misleading as in the long-term, homelessness, stress, diseases from contaminated water, heart and lung diseases arising from environmental damage and pollution, even cancer, as a direct result of a devastating storm, results in a spike in the number of deaths in the years down the line.
Old 4th September 2019, 01:54 AM   #5
a_unique_person

From the videos coming out there are going to be a lot of casualties. The storm was unprecedented so a lot of people would not have been aware of the level of risk.
Old 4th September 2019, 01:56 AM   #6
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Some amazing satellite photos of the flooding here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/2204233001/
Old 4th September 2019, 02:05 AM   #7
curious cat
Thinker

It actually has been geo-engineered, in case you don't know ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K1A...LH5rjB-O3kutTs
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 03:18 AM   #8
a_unique_person

If you want to keep your sanity, don't watch that link OR read the comments.
Old 4th September 2019, 03:28 AM   #9
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Too late.
Old 4th September 2019, 04:50 AM   #10
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post

I think that's (if it's the same Mike Morales) one of the OMG HAAARRRPPPP guys. There was also a gloom and doom guy by the same name who was big on Planet X or weaponized comets or something like that.

I love the woo-meister spin that these weather disasters are all a big money-making scam to get you to go out and waste money on batteries and bottled water and gas or diesel.... as though, you won't consume those things and they'll just be left to deteriorate.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 12:56 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post

There is a thread about this in the Conspiracy Theory section.

It's the Weather Wizard I tell you. Where is The Flash when you need him?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 02:02 PM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Dorian may have caused the complete extinction of the Bahama nuthatch. I hope not.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:23 AM   #13
Bob001
Philosopher

Survivors are on TV thanking God for sparing their lives. But nobody seems to be cursing God for doing this to them in the first place.

Explain.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 10:15 AM   #14
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Survivors are on TV thanking God for sparing their lives. But nobody seems to be cursing God for doing this to them in the first place.

Explain.
There will be no explanation forthcoming. Particularly from those who think gods are involved in any of this.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:43 AM   #15
Steve
Philosopher

We are currently on a cruise ship on the northeast coast (currently Maine). Looks like the remains of Dorian may catch up to us before the cruise is over next week. Our itinerary has already been modified once in an attempt to avoid the predicted path. The plan seems to be farther west in the St Lawrence Seaway by the time Dorian reaches Canada and continues to veer east. We may be in for a bumpy ride.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:49 AM   #16
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
We are currently on a cruise ship on the northeast coast (currently Maine). Looks like the remains of Dorian may catch up to us before the cruise is over next week. Our itinerary has already been modified once in an attempt to avoid the predicted path. The plan seems to be farther west in the St Lawrence Seaway by the time Dorian reaches Canada and continues to veer east. We may be in for a bumpy ride.
There's still time to wire your savings to me.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 11:39 AM   #17
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
There's still time to wire your savings to me.
PM your bank acct number and password. I will see that you are looked after properly.
Old 5th September 2019, 11:43 AM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Suggest to your captain you sail to Alabama.......
Old 5th September 2019, 11:51 AM   #19
plague311
Great minds think...

PM your bank acct number and password. I will see that you are looked after properly.
No, no, Steve, you're on vacation. I think it would be best for each of you to use a middle man on this. Since I'm obviously someone you guys can trust, why don't both of you send your bank acct numbers and passwords to me. I'll make sure this goes effortlessly for both of you.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:29 PM   #20
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It's noticeable that press interest only became really strong when it appeared to be a threat to the USA.

Did Trump ever pour money into Puerto Rica after the hurricane damage it suffered last year?

Reporting number of deaths in terms of who died immediately is incredibly misleading as in the long-term, homelessness, stress, diseases from contaminated water, heart and lung diseases arising from environmental damage and pollution, even cancer, as a direct result of a devastating storm, results in a spike in the number of deaths in the years down the line.

There was plenty of press coverage of PR during the event and in the aftermath, and plenty of criticism of Trump for lying about the extent of the damage and the death count, and for claiming that vastly more money had been appropriated for recovery than was the fact. There are even indications from some of his comments that he doesn't understand -- or accept -- that Puerto Rico is part of the U.S., and that Puerto Ricans are Americans, just like Texans and New Yorkers, and that's been covered, too.

Particularly regarding the PR death count (from 2018):
Quote:
As hurricane season begins this week, experts are still trying to count the number of deaths caused by last year’s devastating Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. The latest estimate: roughly 4,600, many of them from delayed medical care.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/u...?module=inline

Plenty of coverage, and nothing like an adequate response from Trump.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:35 PM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Carolinas being hit pretty hard; not on the Bahamas level but still very serious damage.
Update: Dorian has had some kids...some Tornados which are ripping through Carolina.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 5th September 2019 at 12:36 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:37 PM   #22
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Suggest to your captain you sail to Alabama.......
Beat me to it. Except I was going to say as long as your not sailing in Alabama you should be ok.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 02:09 PM   #23
Steve
Philosopher

All your kind offers and suggestions are very much appreciated. At this point it seems that an over land voyage to Alabama is not into cards. My money and I will put our faith in the speed of this ship and the calm waters of eastern Canada.
Old 5th September 2019, 02:10 PM   #24
plague311
Great minds think...

All your kind offers and suggestions are very much appreciated. At this point it seems that an over land voyage to Alabama is not into cards. My money and I will put our faith in the speed of this ship and the calm waters of eastern Canada.
Thoughts and prayers.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 02:35 PM   #25
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Explain.
1 God moves in mysterious ways.
2 Mere humans cannot rationalise god's mind.
3 Suffer the little children to come unto me.
4 Profit!
Old 5th September 2019, 06:36 PM   #26
a_unique_person

God cares for the people who lived but doesn't give a hoot for those who died.
Old 5th September 2019, 06:42 PM   #27
Venom
Master Poster

God cares for the people who lived but doesn't give a hoot for those who died.
Because He knows the survivors are special. We can't know that.

The dead will get their day in court.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 10:25 PM   #28
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Why?

Quote:
The International Red Cross fears 45% of homes on Grand Bahama and the Abacos - some 13,000 properties - were severely damaged or destroyed.

Parts of the Bahamas received up to 35in (89cm) of rain, leaving vast areas of it flooded.

The Island of Great Abaco is virtually uninhabitable, with bodies piled up, no water, power or food, and militias formed to prevent looting, local media report.
Death toll expected 'to be staggering'.
Old 6th September 2019, 10:59 AM   #29
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'd wager a trip directly through the remnants of Dorian would be slightly preferable to a trip to Alabama.

As to the why god makes us suffer, see my sig. It's a feature, not a bug.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 01:13 PM   #30
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Five dead so far in the Carolinas; of course the destruction is not on the same level as the Bahamas but it's bad enough.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th September 2019, 02:21 PM   #31
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I'd wager a trip directly through the remnants of Dorian would be slightly preferable to a trip to Alabama.
I will not disagree with that.

Looks like our future holds neither. It was a beautiful calm day at the northeast coast of Nova Scotia. Our ship is now heading west at a decent clip and we will be well clear of the west edge of the projected path by the time it reaches Canada.
Old 6th September 2019, 05:38 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This story made me smile:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hu...cid=spartandhp

The DC-3/C 47/Dakota: No wonder it's considered one of the greatest planes in aviation history. Of all the WW2 era planes, the DC-3 is the only one still widely used outside the "Flying Circus" circuit.

Seems as though that old saying about the C 47 is true;You can wreck one, but you can't wear it out.....

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events