IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin , cryptocurrency

Old 15th May 2019, 05:46 AM   #41
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Oh, sure. But I'm not wrong about it.
Of course you are. You are saying the equivalent of "you are a poopy head".

Aw, did I hit a nerve?
How should I classify this response? Non-sequitur? Projection? Another emotional and irrational attack?

Last edited by psionl0; 15th May 2019 at 05:48 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:54 AM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Of course you are. You are saying the equivalent of "you are a poopy head".
If that's what you think, then you're just not thinking clearly. I'm not saying that you're an idiot, or dishonest. I'm saying that you are reflexively responding to any negative comment about Bitcoin, and then using the "BS" label to justify it even when the comments are completely reasonable.

Face it, you have a bias toward Bitcoin.

Quote:
How should I classify this response? Non-sequitur? Projection? Another emotional and irrational attack?
None of that makes any sense, so it's a strange list. It's clearly a jab, but once more you demonstrate that it's entirely accurate.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:59 AM   #43
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Face it, you have a bias toward Bitcoin.
Repeating a lie doesn't make it true.

Regardless, I am done with this petty squabble. All of these rule 12 violations are probably going to end up in AAH anyhow.
Old 15th May 2019, 06:02 AM   #44
Belz...
Fiend God

Repeating a lie doesn't make it true.
It's not a lie if it's true, and you've demonstrated it time and time again.

Quote:
Regardless, I am done with this petty squabble.
Which you instigated. I was talking about BTC and it annoyed you so you attacked my comment. And now that it's not going your way you whine about it being a rules violation!

Last edited by Belz...; 15th May 2019 at 06:04 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 01:42 AM   #45
Isaac Zac
Student

I'm still investing in Bitcoin...

In my opinion this cryptocurrency is not reliable, but it will grow...

I even wrote my bachelor thesis about that.
Isaac Zac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 04:10 AM   #46
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by HeadOverH33ls View Post
I even wrote my bachelor thesis about that.
You should post a link to your thesis once you get your linking rights.

If you are impatient then you can break it up like http : // myserver / mythesis.etc and somebody will construct it for you.
Old 20th May 2019, 08:46 AM   #47
Isaac Zac
Student

You should post a link to your thesis once you get your linking rights.

If you are impatient then you can break it up like http : // myserver / mythesis.etc and somebody will construct it for you.
It's in German.
Isaac Zac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 09:23 AM   #48
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by HeadOverH33ls View Post
It's in German.
Bummer.
Old 28th May 2019, 08:37 PM   #49
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the current rise is at least partly related to the escalation of tariffs in the US/China trade war and the resulting dip in the stock market.
8660 now. If a deal is reached with China I think it will drop hard. Otherwise the longer and uglier this trade war goes, the more it will keep creeping higher.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 04:32 AM   #50
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
8660 now. If a deal is reached with China I think it will drop hard. Otherwise the longer and uglier this trade war goes, the more it will keep creeping higher.
Bitcoin does seem to like bad news but you can't count on it to follow the news cycle.

The most recent price rises seem to have originated from a large buying spike in early April. Whether this was due to a whale pumping it or a larger number of speculators reading the economic tea leaves is hard to tell. Similarly, we don't know if this heralds a return to unbelievably high prices or if it will crash and burn long before then.

I suspect that FOMO is more likely to be driving the current trend than the trade war.
Old 30th May 2019, 03:45 PM   #51
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Bitcoin does seem to like bad news but you can't count on it to follow the news cycle.

The most recent price rises seem to have originated from a large buying spike in early April. Whether this was due to a whale pumping it or a larger number of speculators reading the economic tea leaves is hard to tell. Similarly, we don't know if this heralds a return to unbelievably high prices or if it will crash and burn long before then.

I suspect that FOMO is more likely to be driving the current trend than the trade war.
Looks about right and this article looks like common sense, and could be the sagest I have read.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/426...ll-limit-rally

concludes:

"I'd personally prefer $8,850 cash right over a bitcoin, and since most people would likely make the same choice if given the option, this leads me to believe that bitcoin is overvalued. I see choppy trading with ultimately lower prices."
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 08:17 PM   #52
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
"I'd personally prefer $8,850 cash right over a bitcoin, and since most people would likely make the same choice if given the option, this leads me to believe that bitcoin is overvalued. I see choppy trading with ultimately lower prices."

Yesterday's news. It is now $8,294.50 after peaking at over $9,000 (on the same day). I have had yo-yo's with less maneuverability than this. It could go anywhere up or down. Only The Shadow knows.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 11:17 PM   #53
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Looks about right and this article looks like common sense, and could be the sagest I have read.
Confirmation bias.
Old 31st May 2019, 12:29 AM   #54
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Confirmation bias.
Yes, but confirmation bias does not equal wrong.
I studied the argument and ticked the logic.
Limited supply of bitcoin does not equal limited supply of crypto currency for example.
I have said repeatedly myself on thread, this is not smart to point it out, it is an axiom.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 01:49 AM   #55
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Yes, but confirmation bias does not equal wrong.
I studied the argument and ticked the logic.
Limited supply of bitcoin does not equal limited supply of crypto currency for example.
I have said repeatedly myself on thread, this is not smart to point it out, it is an axiom.
You expect us to pay attention to somebody who doesn't know the difference between a Rolls Royce and a Volkswagon?

Norm's prediction is 10 times more reliable than yours - and he didn't even make one.
Old 6th June 2019, 06:27 AM   #56
Belz...
Fiend God

7700 and change, now.

Oof!

Old 6th June 2019, 06:43 AM   #57
The Common Potato
Muse

7700 and change, now.

Oof!
One might almost conclude that Bitcoin is a bit volatile.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 08:54 AM   #58
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

7700 and change, now.

Oof! Meh.
ftfy.

By bitcoin standards, that is almost dead level.
Old 6th June 2019, 08:56 AM   #59
Belz...
Fiend God

ftfy.

By bitcoin standards, that is almost dead level.
It's just a steep increase and decrease in a short time. Imagine if real currencies had this problem constantly.

Old 6th June 2019, 08:57 AM   #60
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It's just a steep minor increase and decrease in a short time.
ftfy.

Remember, this is bitcoin we are talking about.

Imagine if real currencies had this problem constantly.
Old 6th June 2019, 08:58 AM   #61
Belz...
Fiend God

ftfy.
Kindly stop editing my posts. I say what I mean, not what you mean.

Old 6th June 2019, 09:01 AM   #62
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Kindly stop editing my posts. I say what I mean, not what you mean.
It's quicker than saying that there are errors in your post.

If you want to talk about steep increases/decreases then go back to 2017 or 2013.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:06 AM   #63
Belz...
Fiend God

If you want to talk about steep increases/decreases then go back to 2017 or 2013.
Ah, so here's the error in yours: that there are steeper increases doesn't make this one not steep.

And, FYI, having a differing point of view doesn't make other peoples' wrong.

Old 6th June 2019, 09:16 AM   #64
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Ah, so here's the error in yours: that there are steeper increases doesn't make this one not steep.

And, FYI, having a differing point of view doesn't make other peoples' wrong.
Come off it. This is just a run of the mill price change for bitcoin and you know it. Why you would want to cherry pick one price change and disguise it as newsworthy is beyond me.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:18 AM   #65
Belz...
Fiend God

Come off it.
Come off what? Pointing out that, once again, your favourite thing in the world is having hiccups?

Quote:
This is just a run of the mill price change for bitcoin and you know it.
That is not mutually exclusive with my comment.

Quote:
Why you would want to cherry pick one price change and disguise it as newsworthy is beyond me.
It'd be beyond me too, were that what I did. Fortunately I didn't. Perhaps you should refrain from adding your own interpretation on top of my clear, concise posts.

Old 6th June 2019, 09:19 AM   #66
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That is not mutually exclusive with my comment.
Oof!

Last edited by psionl0; 6th June 2019 at 09:20 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 09:24 AM   #67
Belz...
Fiend God

Oof!
Try this: Bitcoin often has steep climbs and declines.

See how that works? You can't even logic this topic properly. Mind you, if you didn't find yourself obligated to respond to every criticism or comment about BTC you wouldn't put yourself in such ridiculous predicaments. You say you only respond to erroneous claims about BTC, but your history shows otherwise.

Old 6th June 2019, 09:42 AM   #68
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Try this: Bitcoin often has steep climbs and declines.
Advice that you would do well to follow.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:57 AM   #69
Belz...
Fiend God

Advice that you would do well to follow.
You didn't read the bit you quoted, did you?

Regular steep climbs and declines. They can be both steep AND regular. Do you see your error now, or do I need to use crayons to get your attention with bright colours?

Old 8th June 2019, 10:32 AM   #70
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

A different point of view is not the same as an error. He portrays frequent steep changes in value as a negative. You dismiss it as "normal for Bitcoin".

You also keep putting out this idea that if something were discussed before that we shouldn't raise the issue again. This is BS. The volativity of Bitcoin has been an ongoing issue, and it's just a viable a topic today as it was in years past.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 11:16 AM   #71
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
You also keep putting out this idea that if something were discussed before that we shouldn't raise the issue again.
Anybody would think that bitcoin's volatility is something that is seldom discussed. That is not the case with bitcoin where price changes are constantly being posted by everybody with an anti-bitcoin agenda.

At some point it stops being news and falls under the "water is wet" category.
Old 14th June 2019, 06:48 AM   #72
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Anybody would think that bitcoin's volatility is something that is seldom discussed. That is not the case with bitcoin where price changes are constantly being posted by everybody with an anti-bitcoin agenda.

At some point it stops being news and falls under the "water is wet" category.
Not everybody reading this has followed the discussion from the beginning. For some of them being told "water is wet" is informative. Even so, it's not your place to police what someone else considers to be a contribution.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 07:10 AM   #73
Belz...
Fiend God

That is not the case with bitcoin where price changes are constantly being posted by everybody with an anti-bitcoin agenda.
Checking on the value of Bitcoin is anti-Bitcoin!

Old 14th June 2019, 07:13 AM   #74
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Bitcoins are quantum, you can't observe them without affecting their value.
Old 14th June 2019, 08:30 AM   #75
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Bitcoin mining putting out CO2 comparable to a medium sized city:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0613104533.htm
Old 14th June 2019, 08:45 AM   #76
Belz...
Fiend God

Well that's what happens when your technological model is getting computers to crunch numbers at capacity for no other reason than to create and maintain speculative currencies.

Old 14th June 2019, 09:08 AM   #77
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Not everybody reading this has followed the discussion from the beginning. For some of them being told "water is wet" is informative. Even so, it's not your place to police what someone else considers to be a contribution.
And yet you find it necessary to police my posts.

BTW It is still only a month since I OFFERED for you to do an imaginary short of bitcoin. It might only have been a mental bet but you would be losing your mind right now. Do you find that informative or should I wait 6 or 12 months before reminding you that you wanted to short bitcoin?
Old 14th June 2019, 09:19 AM   #78
p0lka
Illuminator

offtopic:
Water is not wet, just saying
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 10:51 AM   #79
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
offtopic:
Water is not wet, just saying
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wet
Old 14th June 2019, 12:16 PM   #80
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Not that much compared to the size of the CO2 emissions problem, but still an incredible waste just to allow people to gamble over the internet.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance