ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th April 2018, 11:46 AM   #81
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I get that sometimes on the PC I built three weeks back (my first build). Touch wood it's the only problem I've encountered and whilst it's no big deal it can be irritating. I'm using the integrated sound on a MSI Z270 Carbon Pro motherboard with a pair of basic £30 Logitech speakers. I don't listen to music on my PC, just audiobooks and Youtube, so I won't be buying a dedicated card.
I have a sneaky suspicion that if you booted from a Linux installed flash drive the audio problems would disappear. But it's only a suspicion.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 12:04 PM   #82
Molinaro
Illuminator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I get that sometimes on the PC I built three weeks back (my first build). Touch wood it's the only problem I've encountered and whilst it's no big deal it can be irritating. I'm using the integrated sound on a MSI Z270 Carbon Pro motherboard with a pair of basic £30 Logitech speakers. I don't listen to music on my PC, just audiobooks and Youtube, so I won't be buying a dedicated card.
Did you connect the audio plug on the mb to an audio cable of the case to enable usage for audio ports on the front of the case?

Is so, try unplugging that and instead plugging into the audio port on the back of the case by the keyboard and other mb plugs.

That would at least eliminate the case circuitry and front side plugs as a possible source of the problem.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:25 PM   #83
Molinaro
Illuminator

And the last original component of this PC has been replaced.

I bought an EVGA 1000W GQ power supply to replace the original 1600W. After 9 years and 1 month it was the only original component left. I had an actual blue screen crash a week ago, and a few other sudden crashes that left me doubting the health of that old power supply.
Old 19th July 2019, 04:32 PM   #84
eerok
Quixoticist

That's a lot of juice. I don't think I've built with more than 850W. (My last five PSUs have been EVGA, and they've treated me well.)
Old 21st July 2019, 03:36 PM   #85
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
That's a lot of juice. I don't think I've built with more than 850W. (My last five PSUs have been EVGA, and they've treated me well.)
Depends how quiet you want the machine. Most good quality PSUs won't turn the fan on until needed and if you only need 600W - 700W then it's going to stay pretty quiet for most of the time.
Also running them near their rated output makes them much less efficient.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet