ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th March 2019, 12:59 PM   #2081
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
It/they might try, but would have a hard time standing up to First Amendment challenge.
Not like that would stop them from trying.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 01:01 PM   #2082
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
DeKalb County in Georgia, forbidden by state law from removing a Confederate monument in its town center, has decided to install a marker in front of it, adding factual context:

Quote:
“In 1908, this monument was erected at the DeKalb County Courthouse to glorify the ‘lost cause’ of the Confederacy and the Confederate soldiers who fought for it. It was privately funded by the A. Evans Camp of Confederate Veterans and the Agnes Lee Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Located in a prominent public space, its presence bolstered white supremacy and faulty history, suggesting that the cause for the Civil War rested on southern Honor and States Rights rhetoric—instead of its real catalyst—American slavery. This monument and similar ones also were created to intimidate African Americans and limit their full participation in social and political life of their communities. It fostered a culture of segregation by implying that public spaces and public memory belonged to Whites. Since State law prohibited local governments from removing Confederate statues, DeKalb County contextualized this monument in 2019. DeKalb County officials and citizens believe that public history can be of service when it challenges us to broaden our sense of boundaries and includes community discussions of the victories and shortcomings of our shared histories.”

Great text! Very educational. And I see no reason why it should be limited to Confederate monuments.
When I visited the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in DC, "2-acre (8,093.71 m²)", the guide couldn't answer my question about how many acres it would have required to include the names of the Vietnamese casualties. Considering that it's a memorial for people who lost their lives in a war that the USA and its allies lost in spite of killing hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese, at least a marker with that kind of information would seem to be appropriate.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 01:11 PM   #2083
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I like that DeKalb solution. I'm guessing that preventing it would open up a can of worms, preventing other new monuments as well, or requiring a first-amendment busting pre-approval process. I think that contextualizing such monuments is superior to simply whisking them away. It names names and makes the private and partisan authorship of the monuments more obvious. The defenders of Confederate lore may well come to regret that they forced people forever to think about their lies instead of letting them slink quietly off.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 01:15 PM   #2084
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I’m curious if some Lost causer tries to vandalize the sign in the coming months.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 01:35 PM   #2085
8enotto
Muse

I would like to see the statues preserved for future generations in some museum one day.

It is part of American history and all we need is a mature way of looking at them. Not with ideology or a bias/regret to what could have been. Much like we look at Roman sculpture now.

The past is the past and we need to look forward and act in a way to prevent the errors of the past.
For that we need to remember it as it truly happened. No editing or rewrites to make us feel better now.
I doubt we as humans can do that now but it's something to work towards.

Last edited by 8enotto; 16th March 2019 at 01:37 PM.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 04:37 PM   #2086
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
The past is the past and we need to look forward and act in a way to prevent the errors of the past.
For that we need to remember it as it truly happened. No editing or rewrites to make us feel better now.
The monuments and the purple captions about "honor" and "duty" that adorn them represent just such an edit or rewrite. Efforts like DeKalb's, combat this historical revisionism and tell the cold truth that the romanticized statues were created to hide.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 04:39 PM   #2087
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay what words in what sequence have to be said to drag the Confederate apologists kicking and screaming out of this whole "Taking down statues is erasing history" nonsense?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th March 2019 at 04:40 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 05:15 PM   #2088
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I'd like a few statues of glorious Confederate leaders shortly after meeting Dudalb's avatar
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 05:43 PM   #2089
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I would like to see the statues preserved for future generations in some museum one day.

It is part of American history and all we need is a mature way of looking at them. Not with ideology or a bias/regret to what could have been. Much like we look at Roman sculpture now.

I doubt we as humans can do that now but it's something to work towards.
In that case, place them in a wing of a broader slavery museum, ensuring their inscriptions read as the foul, lying propaganda they are. Perhaps they should come after a walk through that horrifyingly eloquent new Legacy Museum. Make sure that any fictitious inscriptions claiming honor, noble cause, or personal glory ring sickly hollow and disgustingly shameful, heaping ever more condemnation upon those who defend them even now. Deadly, dirty little lies and deadly, dirty little liars who worked so hard in the cowardly shadows to poison history and hide their skulduggery deserve nothing but scorn and a boot to the face. Suffice it, then, that their financiers and fans are not put in stocks, whipped, put in prison camps, worked to death, and spat upon; i.e., live in the flesh the very traditions and heritage they love to defend.
tl;dr: Uh, no.
Old 16th March 2019, 07:36 PM   #2090
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I’d like to know what museum is going to hold a single one of these monuments, let alone the lot of them. Most history museums have limited space to show actual interesting stuff and limited storage.

Maybe find an old barn somewhere deep in modern lost causer territory and just pile them in. Stack them like cordwood if they don’t fit. Then charge Neo-Confederates $20 to come in and pray at their ancestor worship altars. Don’t leave any explanation plaquards, just let them try o figure out which one was to intimidate black voters in Mobile and which was celebrating white supremacy in Charlotte.

For fun, mix up the heads of the ones of Confederate leaders. See if anyone even notices.

Old 16th March 2019, 07:51 PM   #2091
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

8enotto, while it might seem a good idea to put the monuments in a museum or better yet as Hlafordlaes suggests to put them in a contextual museum, remember that one reason DeKalb has chosen what it has is that the removal of those statues from their public places has been outlawed by the State of Georgia.

I would also add, though, that as the De Kalb statement makes clear, the prominent public placement of the monuments was an important part of their function, not as monuments to the fallen soldiers of the war, but to postwar racism and the lame and shameful apologetics of those who sought to reduce the sting of defeat by injecting the appearance of heroism and holiness to their ongoing hatred. Simply to remove them to a museum, while it has its merits, removes some of the offense they cause, but does little to address their pernicious secondary purpose.

Confederate monuments have long been a conspicuous, intrusive presence in their public places, a painful reminder to the oppressed that their battle was never fully won. Perhaps it's appropriate that they, together with correction, remain conspicuous rather than being hidden away in a back room or courtyard.

It would be nice to think that the historical distance of the Civil War puts its monuments in the same category as those of the ancient Romans, but we see daily evidence that it is not so. The slaves are all dead now, and so are the children of the slaves, but not, perhaps, the grandchildren; and many of us have lived through years of legal segregation, extra-legal discrimination, and though it's become less fashionable, we live still with bigotry and its awful consequences. In simple terms, racism still kills. We can, perhaps, look at the statues of the ancients in the abstract and supply whatever context we desire, but not so the statues of our unending strife.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 02:05 AM   #2092
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
8enotto, while it might seem a good idea to put the monuments in a museum or better yet as Hlafordlaes suggests to put them in a contextual museum, remember that one reason DeKalb has chosen what it has is that the removal of those statues from their public places has been outlawed by the State of Georgia.

I would also add, though, that as the De Kalb statement makes clear, the prominent public placement of the monuments was an important part of their function, not as monuments to the fallen soldiers of the war, but to postwar racism and the lame and shameful apologetics of those who sought to reduce the sting of defeat by injecting the appearance of heroism and holiness to their ongoing hatred. Simply to remove them to a museum, while it has its merits, removes some of the offense they cause, but does little to address their pernicious secondary purpose.

Confederate monuments have long been a conspicuous, intrusive presence in their public places, a painful reminder to the oppressed that their battle was never fully won. Perhaps it's appropriate that they, together with correction, remain conspicuous rather than being hidden away in a back room or courtyard.

It would be nice to think that the historical distance of the Civil War puts its monuments in the same category as those of the ancient Romans, but we see daily evidence that it is not so. The slaves are all dead now, and so are the children of the slaves, but not, perhaps, the grandchildren; and many of us have lived through years of legal segregation, extra-legal discrimination, and though it's become less fashionable, we live still with bigotry and its awful consequences. In simple terms, racism still kills. We can, perhaps, look at the statues of the ancients in the abstract and supply whatever context we desire, but not so the statues of our unending strife.
There are people working, who were born into segregation.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 02:58 PM   #2093
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I like that DeKalb solution. I'm guessing that preventing it would open up a can of worms, preventing other new monuments as well, or requiring a first-amendment busting pre-approval process. I think that contextualizing such monuments is superior to simply whisking them away. It names names and makes the private and partisan authorship of the monuments more obvious. The defenders of Confederate lore may well come to regret that they forced people forever to think about their lies instead of letting them slink quietly off.

The plaque was inspired by the fact that racist politicians had engineered racist laws which made it impossible to whisk such statues away. It is no coincidence that these statues were erected in front of the halls of law and justice. They were meant to intimidate, and as long as they are still present in such locations they will continue to do so.

The very fact that laws have been passed (recently) specifically as barriers to their removal only emphasizes that.

In a better world, these statues would be replaced by such plaques, and the statues themselves consigned to a less visible location. Hopefully along with similar plaques to accompany them.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 02:55 AM   #2094
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I’d like to know what museum is going to hold a single one of these monuments, let alone the lot of them. Most history museums have limited space to show actual interesting stuff and limited storage.
Well Storm King would be able to fit a lot of them, they wouldn't but I am sure somewhere you could buy up some farms and put them in feilds.

https://stormking.org/
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 02:56 AM   #2095
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
There are people working, who were born into segregation.
There is plenty of real segregation now we just got better at pretending it doesn't exist.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events