ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mass shootings , Netherlands incidents , shooting incidents

Old 18th March 2019, 03:28 AM   #1
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Utrecht shooting

There was a shooting in Utrecht train, multiple injuries, not 20 minutes ago.

https://www.dailysabah.com/europe/20...tch-police-say
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4094321.html

More as more information trickes by.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 18th March 2019 at 03:30 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 03:32 AM   #2
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Correction, it happened an hour ago and was reported within 30 minutes. Apparently it's over, anti-terror police are sweeping the area.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/18/e....html?adkey=bn

McHrozni
Old 18th March 2019, 03:41 AM   #3
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Correction, it happened an hour ago and was reported within 30 minutes. Apparently it's over, anti-terror police are sweeping the area.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/18/e....html?adkey=bn

McHrozni
That's about 2 km from where I'm right now. Haven't heard a thing here, except for your posts and now online news reports.
Old 18th March 2019, 03:48 AM   #4
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
That's about 2 km from where I'm right now. Haven't heard a thing here, except for your posts and now online news reports.
Hm, no helicopter? The shooter reportedly fled the scene.

BBC is reporting on it too:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47611811

Maybe another incident like in NZ? I just hope it's not a Jihadist, two months before EU Parliamentary elections.

McHrozni
Old 18th March 2019, 03:53 AM   #5
erwinl
Master Poster

Hm, no helicopter? The shooter reportedly fled the scene.

BBC is reporting on it too:

Maybe another incident like in NZ? I just hope it's not a Jihadist, two months before EU Parliamentary elections.

McHrozni
I heard a helicopter a few minutes ago. Not anymore though.

Police just arrived with sirens, but are now only slowly patrolling the streets.
Old 18th March 2019, 03:56 AM   #6
Information Analyst
Philosopher

So a tram, rather than a train, but no deaths, so the BBC is leading on crush-deaths at a StPD party in NI last night.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 03:56 AM   #7
erwinl
Master Poster

Here we're hoping it's just a falling out between criminals.
We'll see, when we know more.

I the meantime, people are just strolling along on the pavements. No police in sight at this moment. peacefull like always.
Old 18th March 2019, 04:05 AM   #8
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
So a tram, rather than a train, but no deaths, so the BBC is leading on crush-deaths at a StPD party in NI last night.
Yeah, a tram. My bad

I think it's a bit early to say "no deaths" just yet. There were several injured, we don't know the severity of those injuries.
It is possible there weren't any dead on the spot however.

McHrozni
Old 18th March 2019, 04:10 AM   #9
erwinl
Master Poster

No dead reported as of yet.

Police are patrolling. Sometimes we hear some sirens. One helicopter in the air, that I can see and hear. For the rest everything looks normal.
Old 18th March 2019, 04:37 AM   #10
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Yeah, a tram. My bad

I think it's a bit early to say "no deaths" just yet. There were several injured, we don't know the severity of those injuries.
It is possible there weren't any dead on the spot however.
Obviously that was "no known dead" at the time of the 11:00 headlines on the BBC News channels, which will have determined the running order.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 04:51 AM   #11
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously that was "no known dead" at the time of the 11:00 headlines on the BBC News channels, which will have determined the running order.
Aha. One death confirmed, terrorist motive suspected

McHrozni
Old 18th March 2019, 05:10 AM   #12
erwinl
Master Poster

Police are preparing something near an appartment in the Trumanlaan (halfway between the shooting and where I am). So maybe they already know something more.

Buildings have been more or less closed. You can only enter here if they know you.

Except for that. Everything still looks normal.
Old 18th March 2019, 05:34 AM   #13
erwinl
Master Poster

Just saw some video on the phone of a collegue where the police is undertaking an armed entering of a bank.
Old 18th March 2019, 06:02 AM   #14
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by BBC News
A gunman has opened fire inside a tram and at several other locations in the Dutch city of Utrecht, authorities say. Several people have been injured and one is feared to have died, media reports say. Police say the gunman is still at large. Trains and trams have stopped running and schools have been asked to keep their doors closed.

Counter-terror police reportedly say the shooting "appears to be a terrorist attack".

Dutch anti-terrorism co-ordinator Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said all efforts were now focused on catching the gunman. He also said there could be more than one perpetrator. The threat level has been temporarily raised to its highest point in the province of Utrecht.

Utrecht University has reportedly closed all buildings, with nobody allowed in or out. Trains are also not allowed to run into Utrecht Central station, and mosques across the city have reportedly been closed due to security concerns.

Heavily armed police reportedly gathered outside a house on a street near the 24 Oktoberplein junction, where the tram attack took place.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte said he was "deeply concerned" and cancelled his weekly coalition talks. Police have asked for photos of the attack from members of the public....
Old 18th March 2019, 06:19 AM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have to wonder what elevated this to the international news. Just the possible terrorist connection? It's usually of either that or the number of people killed or injured, but it looks like there was "only" one this time. (still too many)
Old 18th March 2019, 06:34 AM   #16
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

There was a shooting in Utrecht train, multiple injuries, not 20 minutes ago.

https://www.dailysabah.com/europe/20...tch-police-say
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4094321.html

More as more information trickes by.

McHrozni
Another islamosupremacist attacks.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 06:38 AM   #17
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have to wonder what elevated this to the international news. Just the possible terrorist connection? It's usually of either that or the number of people killed or injured, but it looks like there was "only" one this time. (still too many)
If this was an attempt at terrorism, and not criminals taking out the competition, one death is a very low body count.

The New Zealand shooter didn't do 10% of the preparations Breivik did and racked up 50 deaths.

That's one guy without decoy bombings, a police uniform, a confined geographical location (island). Pretty scary.
Old 18th March 2019, 06:47 AM   #18
erwinl
Master Poster

Police have put a search warrant out for a 37 year old man of Turkish descent.

https://twitter.com/PolitieUtrecht/s...32105780113408

Rumours have it that multiple arrests have been made in Utrecht.

In the mean time, we're not allowed to leave the building.
We'll see.
Old 18th March 2019, 06:51 AM   #19
erwinl
Master Poster

I think so. It's nowhere near Christchurch levels.
But as in New Zealand. Hardly anything ever happens here.
We do have the occasional criminal on criminal killing. But those are usually very clearly so.
Old 18th March 2019, 06:58 AM   #20
erwinl
Master Poster

The fugitive seems to have been before a judge, last month, because of a rape.

As the first mesaages came concerning a woman who was shot. Maybe this was the cause of the shooting.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:20 AM   #21
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

The fugitive seems to have been before a judge, last month, because of a rape.

As the first mesaages came concerning a woman who was shot. Maybe this was the cause of the shooting.
Unconfirmed rumours going around that he wanted to kill his sister in law, she may have been the target.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:25 AM   #22
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Three dead, apparently. Damn.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:33 AM   #23
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Last year we hosted an exchange student from Utrecht, again too ******* close.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 07:54 AM   #24
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I have to wonder what elevated this to the international news.
Shooting on public transport in the Netherlands? I'd have been more surprised if the BBC didn't report it.
Old 18th March 2019, 08:19 AM   #25
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Another islamosupremacist attacks.
It looks that way
Do they want the people like the Christchurch guy in charge? Because that's how you get them in charge.

McHrozni
Old 18th March 2019, 08:21 AM   #26
erwinl
Master Poster

Unconfirmed rumours have it that the fugitive has a history of rape and/or sexual attacks.
Combined with the (again unconfirmed) rumours that a woman on the tram was shouting 'I didn't do anything!' and that the fugitive wanted to kill his sister in law (again unconfirmed).

My thought at this moment are that this is not a terrorist attack, but a completely gotten out of hand relational affair.
It's well possible he has some sympathies towards radical muslims (based on his opinion concerning women and western women in particular), but for now it looks like somebody (a very nasty somebody) snapped. And snapped badly.

Things might change if more information comes available.

I just heard, I was allowed to go home, provided I would be careful.
Edit: general lock down of Utrecht is lessened now.
Old 18th March 2019, 08:24 AM   #27
Arcade22
Philosopher

Shooting on public transport in the Netherlands? I'd have been more surprised if the BBC didn't report it.
Had it taken place in America it would've probably not even made the front page of local newspapers.
Old 18th March 2019, 08:52 AM   #28
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yeah, people getting shot in the middle of a city is still rare enough in many countries that it becomes news.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 08:59 AM   #29
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Unconfirmed rumours going around that he wanted to kill his sister in law, she may have been the target.
Three are dead and up to nine are injured. It doesn't sound like a single person was the target.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:01 AM   #30
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Had it taken place in America it would've probably not even made the front page of local newspapers.
Three dead and nine injured will always make front page on any local media in America. It would also go national for some contexts.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:31 AM   #31
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Three are dead and up to nine are injured. It doesn't sound like a single person was the target.
I don’t know. Shooting wildly with a pistol in a busy tram? You’re bound to hit multiple people.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:42 AM   #32
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It's being reported that the suspect has been captured.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 10:44 AM   #33
Checkmite

I don’t know. Shooting wildly with a pistol in a busy tram? You’re bound to hit multiple people.
I remember a recent school shooting in the US where a student had targeted a specific individual (either a teacher or a girlfriend, I forget - in the US, school shootings all kind of blur together these days) and after shooting them, he proceeded to just shoot randomly.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 10:46 AM   #34
erwinl
Master Poster

Yep.

They got him. In the coming days we hopefully will know what the reason of the shooting was.
Authorities hold a terrorist motivation possible and police is more looking in relations issues.
Time will tell.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:48 AM   #35
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I remember a recent school shooting in the US where a student had targeted a specific individual (either a teacher or a girlfriend, I forget - in the US, school shootings all kind of blur together these days) and after shooting them, he proceeded to just shoot randomly.
Could be. First shot(s) aimed at a specific target. After that adrenaline and/or panic takes care of the rest.
Old 18th March 2019, 11:58 AM   #36
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Erdogan has been playing up the NZ massacre for all he could to incite fear and hatred. This was done purely to increase his political support. The NZ killer was hoping for something like this to happen, start reprisals and then responses to those reprisals.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 18th March 2019 at 12:30 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 12:00 PM   #37
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I love watching my Facebook page and the jolly game of "Trying to find anyone who had the same opinion, expressed in the same way, with the same modifiers before they knew who the race/gender/ethnicity/ the shooter was that they have after."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 12:05 PM   #38
Checkmite

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The NZ killer was hoping for something like this to happen, start a reprisals and then responses to those reprisals.
I'm not convinced that's true. I think in all their "unpacking" people are tending to credit the NZ shooter as being more clever and thoughtful than is due.
Old 18th March 2019, 12:06 PM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I'm not convinced that's true. I think in all their "unpacking" people are tending to credit the NZ shooter as being more clever and thoughtful than is due.
Trolls don't have to be clever or criminal masterminds.

Do people really think that stirring the **** pot for just for the sake of stirring the **** pot was going to stay an online phenomenon forever?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 12:08 PM   #40
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Erdogan has been playing up the NZ massacre for all he could to incite fear and hatred. This was done purely to increase his political support. The NZ killer was hoping for something like this to happen, start a reprisals and then responses to those reprisals.

Uhm, with that timing you couldn't expect him to resist the temptation.

Originally Posted by Yeni Safak
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Monday said Istanbul will never be turned into Constantinople, in reference to the manifesto of the terrorist behind the New Zeland mosque attacks.

Speaking at an event marking the 104th anniversary of the Çanakkle naval victory in 1915, Erdoğan warned against entertaining such thoughts about Istanbul. [...]

In his so-called manifesto, Australian terrorist Brenson Tarrant threatens to kill all Turks living in European lands of Turkey and elsewhere west of the Bosporus. He also expresses his desire to demolish the famed Hagia Sophia in Istanbul and its minarets.

"We are coming for Constantinople and we will destroy every mosque and minaret in the city. The Hagia Sophia will be free of minarets and Constantinople will be rightfully Christian [sic] owned once more," it says. [...]

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events