ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jack Burkman , Jacob Wohl

Old 30th April 2019, 07:54 AM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman

These clowns are at it again.

Far-Right Smear Merchants Try to Slime Pete Buttigieg with Bogus Sex Assault Claim

Quote:
A pair of right-wing provocateurs are being accused of attempting to recruit young Republican men to level false allegations of sexual assault against Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg.

The details of the operatives’ attempt emerged as one man suddenly surfaced with a vague and uncorroborated allegation that Buttigieg had assaulted him. The claim was retracted hours later on a Facebook page appearing to belong to the man.
Quote:
“It's important for everyone to know that I was not sexually assaulted and would never falsely accuse anyone,” he wrote. “To keep it brief for now, I was approached by a political figure to come to DC to discuss political situations from the standpoint of a gay Republican. When I arrived they discussed Peter Buttigieg and started talking about how they would be working a campaign against him.”

“I went to bed and woke up to a fake Twitter @RealHunterKelly and an article that I in no way endorsed or wrote. I have since left and am working on a formal statement to give to everyone including the Buttigieg family.”
Another source apparently has an audio recording of Wohl trying to talk him into making false allegations against Buttigieg. Read the whole story.

You may recall that the same duo tried to smear Mueller with similar tactics.
Old 30th April 2019, 07:58 AM   #2
carlitos
"más divertido"

Isn't Wohl in hot water with the FBI for his fake terror threat report on his trip to Minneapolis? The trip where his hard-core ex-mossad security guy was wearing crocs in the snow?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 08:01 AM   #3
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

You'd figure he would already be in trouble for his fakery from the Mueller fiasco. I recall some things being forwarded to the FBI on that one.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 08:06 AM   #4
crescent
Illuminator

Is Wohl eclipsing Mozart again?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 08:15 AM   #5
Donal
Illuminator

Why do we pay attention to these people? Who cares? Let the police deal with them and move on.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 08:17 AM   #6
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Why do we pay attention to these people?
Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 08:22 AM   #7
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Why do we pay attention to these people? Who cares? Let the police deal with them and move on.

Because it's hilarious.

This guy is the epitome of rich white male privilege. He's convinced he's brilliant, because he was born rich, and no matter how many times he spectacularly fails, he never seems to learn a goddamned thing.

He's the poster* child for everything that's gone wrong with the GOP.

*I almost typed "poser child" here, which is perhaps just a little too on-the-nose
Old 30th April 2019, 09:03 AM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It's not clear yet that the police will do anything about it.

It certainly appears to be a crime, but proving it may not be so easy. We'll see though. In the meantime, their mischief and lies should be exposed, because it could have political consequences.
Old 30th April 2019, 09:53 AM   #9
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

There's a fair chance that Wohl won't suffer any serious consequences of this fraud. Buttigieg would probably have a slam dunk defamation case from this, but it might not be worth his time, especially politically, to deal with such a pathetic troll. There was no police report, so I don't really see any legal consequences for Wohl unless someone sues him.

Wohl doesn't really have much of a reputation to sully at this time either.
Old 30th April 2019, 10:30 AM   #10
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
These clowns are at it again.

Far-Right Smear Merchants Try to Slime Pete Buttigieg with Bogus Sex Assault Claim

Another source apparently has an audio recording of Wohl trying to talk him into making false allegations against Buttigieg. Read the whole story.

You may recall that the same duo tried to smear Mueller with similar tactics.
He also created a twitter account to make death threats against himself and reported it to the Minneapolis police. Somehow he has experienced zero consequences for all this so expect it to continue.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 10:54 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Not enough hugs from daddy, maybe?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 11:03 AM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

He also created a twitter account to make death threats against himself and reported it to the Minneapolis police. Somehow he has experienced zero consequences for all this so expect it to continue.
Pretty much what I was thinking as well. Why would he even think of stopping when he's suffered no penalties at all.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 11:43 AM   #13
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

That’s the problem. These little scam makers keep trying and trying, hoping to repeat the ACORN success no matter how illegal their methods. They may never make that level of scandal but they can cause a lot of hurt for many individuals (such as the not-sex-assaulted person mentioned above). But they keep getting away with it. O’Keefe should still be in prison for his trespassing crimes but he got the limpets off slaps on the wrist.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 12:42 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
O’Keefe should still be in prison for his trespassing crimes but he got the limpets off slaps on the wrist.
I think you meant "limpest of", but "limpets off" kind of works in a weird way.
Old 30th April 2019, 01:09 PM   #15
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Because it's hilarious.

This guy is the epitome of rich white male privilege. He's convinced he's brilliant, because he was born rich, and no matter how many times he spectacularly fails, he never seems to learn a goddamned thing.

He's the poster* child for everything that's gone wrong with the GOP.

*I almost typed "poser child" here, which is perhaps just a little too on-the-nose
He's so stupid that even The Big Dog thought he was a complete idiot!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 01:13 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Burkman's the clown who did a whole press conference with his fly open, right?
Old 30th April 2019, 01:16 PM   #17
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Burkman's the clown who did a whole press conference with his fly open, right?
Yup.

Old 30th April 2019, 01:17 PM   #18
Donal
Illuminator

And it wasn't even the most embarrassing thing to happen to him in that moment.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 01:26 PM   #19
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

It's getting to the point where either Wohl is engaged in deliberate incompetence, or he has some serious mental deficiency. His forays into conspiracy mongering how been so cartoonishly buffoonish that it beggars belief. His fraudulent attempts of character fail so quickly they could be categorized as dead on arrival.

This is the same guy that used a headshot of famous actor Christoph Waltz on his website to pad out the personnel of his "intelligence company".

Either this guy is playing some 23d chess as the ultimate false-flag, or he an exceptionally incompetent political operator in a field known for moronic blunders.

I know this is just one big argument from incredulity, but here it is. This guy's incompetence leaves me absolutely gobsmacked.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th April 2019 at 01:34 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 02:35 PM   #20
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

That's the thing, he still has followers. Even if he doesn't he gets to play well-poisoning to other concerns as conservatives monocles pop with a 'what if....(he was remotely competent)".

Example: The Spectator uses his utter faceflop to show how 'believe the victims' should be abandoned because fake accusations would be so easy.

https://spectator.us/jacob-wohl-hoax-victims/

Of course this ignores other cases where fake sexual assault charges were made and fell well short of the what The Spectator fears in the medium run. An example would George Takei. No it wasn't fun to go through the accusations, but the truth came out and their desire to consider all sexual assault victims liars first is served by Wohl's stomping clownshoes.

Old 30th April 2019, 03:40 PM   #21
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Aside from the scuzziness of falsely accusing someone of a serious crime, there is also the incompetence factor. What good does it do the GOP to have the Mayor Pete boomlet deflated a year and half from the election (assuming the story had gotten any traction, which it didn't)?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 04:10 PM   #22
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Aside from the scuzziness of falsely accusing someone of a serious crime, there is also the incompetence factor. What good does it do the GOP to have the Mayor Pete boomlet deflated a year and half from the election (assuming the story had gotten any traction, which it didn't)?
I haven't a feeling this wasn't a strategic decision. Buttigieg is gay, and perhaps Wohl and Burkman thought they would have an easier time recruiting a Republican male conspirator to accuse him than they would have had trying to find a woman of any kind to accuse any of the hetero Dem candidates.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 04:10 PM   #23
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

I'm glad we have people like this around. They demonstrate that we don't need to worry as much about getting ruined with harassment accusations as we might otherwise, because unverifiable accusations don't yield the same results as verified ones.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 04:33 PM   #24
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I'm glad we have people like this around. They demonstrate that we don't need to worry as much about getting ruined with harassment accusations as we might otherwise, because unverifiable accusations don't yield the same results as verified ones.
Pizzagate.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 04:53 PM   #25
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I think this is some kind of compulsive behavior for Wohl. He's been grifting and scamming for his entire adult life so far (he's only 21, and has already been in trouble for securities fraud.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Wohl#Career
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Maybe they imagine that this is what Democrats do. Like with Kavanaugh, or Roy Moore, or Clarence Thomas. But you can't just find a random person who's probably never even met the alleged assaulter and cook up a plausible fake accusation.
Old 30th April 2019, 05:10 PM   #26
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I think this is some kind of compulsive behavior for Wohl. He's been grifting and scamming for his entire adult life so far (he's only 21, and has already been in trouble for securities fraud.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Wohl#Career

Maybe they imagine that this is what Democrats do. Like with Kavanaugh, or Roy Moore, or Clarence Thomas. But you can't just find a random person who's probably never even met the alleged assaulter and cook up a plausible fake accusation.
That’s kind of it. Remember how Conspiracy cranks always assume the worst of people because they are bad people themselves. Hence why they think conspirators can send their kids to certain death in the name of the conspiracy.

And yes, there is a huge element of ‘they do it to’. Recall that the first defense of Trump’s child separation was to claim that “Obama did it to” as a gross misrepresentation of what that administration did. Point out the horrible actions of the Trump administration and a Trump fan will fall back with “Obama/Clinton did it too, and worse!!”

Old 30th April 2019, 07:13 PM   #27
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yeah. I posted this elsewhere today:

Quote:
I think he's a stupid ********ter, who has committed the cardinal sin of ********: he's believed his own ********.

That is, they really do believe that all the sexual assault claims levied against Republicans in the last few years are themselves made up, deliberate smears by Democratic Operatives to destroy these Fine Upstanding Men. And they believe that creating such a fake is just as easy as getting someone to say "He touched me!", and like magic, everyone will believe it, and the person will be destroyed.
Old 30th April 2019, 07:30 PM   #28
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

It’s Cargo Cult scandal-manufacture. Put what you think are the same elements as a real scandal and expect them to form an instant career-wrecker.

Old 30th April 2019, 07:37 PM   #29
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Angry young conservative man making a pigs breakfast of faking a gay sex scandal? Yeah, I'm getting a distinct scent of denial there. Funny how frequently that turns out to be the case.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:21 PM   #30
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Could someone explain why Wohl isn't in prison after all these false accusations and random crap?

I mean, it couldn't possibly be because he is white, conservative and somewhat moneyed, right?

Last edited by Lambchops; 2nd May 2019 at 10:23 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:14 PM   #31
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Could someone explain why Wohl isn't in prison after all these false accusations and random crap?

I mean, it couldn't possibly be because he is white, conservative and somewhat moneyed, right?
two answers:
- it's too much hassle for a career prosecutor to bring a case that probably wouldn't end up in much of a sentence
- his targets don't want to being a case, because that is exactly he wants. Better not to give his schemes any oxygen
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:14 PM   #32
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Angry young conservative man making a pigs breakfast of faking a gay sex scandal? Yeah, I'm getting a distinct scent of denial there. Funny how frequently that turns out to be the case.
Not gonna lie, he does have that cute twink look.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:17 PM   #33
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
two answers:
- it's too much hassle for a career prosecutor to bring a case that probably wouldn't end up in much of a sentence
- his targets don't want to being a case, because that is exactly he wants. Better not to give his schemes any oxygen
"Career prosecutor". Ah, that's it. Who gives a **** about doing your job, when you can have a "career".

Capitalism is so awesome.
Old 3rd May 2019, 07:21 AM   #34
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post

Well, that, and most of the stuff he's done has just be lying in press conferences, rather than actually submitting false reports to the police. The latter would clearly be a crime, while the former is most likely just a civil matter of defamation, which might get him sued, but won't get him stuck in prison.

And with the US rules regarding defamation of a public figure, most of the people he targets probably figure it's not worth giving him the extra publicity, particularly if it's likely he'll win the case, because of the above mentioned rules.
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:50 AM   #35
Mumbles
Philosopher

They couldn't dig up James O'Keefe to pull this off?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:57 AM   #36
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

These guys wish there were as competent as James O'Keefe.
Old 3rd May 2019, 08:01 PM   #37
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
He's off to a new career.

Quote:
Blackwater founder Erik Prince arranged for political activist James O’Keefe’s conservative group Project Veritas to receive more than one round of “training in intelligence and elicitation techniques,” The Intercept reports. In 2016, the self-styled “guerrilla journalist” group reportedly got lessons from a retired military intelligence operative. The training lasted several weeks and ended with the operative, Euripides Rubio Jr., reportedly quitting because the group “wasn’t capable of learning.” In 2017, Prince next set Project Veritas up with a former British MI6 officer in hopes of turning the organization into “domestic spies,” according to report. At the time, O’Keefe posted social-media photos of the event at Prince’s Wyoming ranch, claiming he was training in “spying and self-defense” and planned to turn Project Veritas into “the next great intelligence agency.”
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 08:51 PM   #38
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I love the made-up operative name, Euripides Rubio, Jr. He's a territorial hero in Ponce, Puerto Rico. He's also on the Viet Nam memorial wall and deceased since '66. This ain't a direct descendant 'cuz that'd make him the III or IV Euripides Rubio. It's possible that people in P.R. started naming their kids Euripides, but I kinda doubt it.

(From the It's A Small World files: I just looked him up because I vaguely recalled the name. In hindsight, I recognize that I remembered the name from a bar in Jersey City, Diamond's Island, owned by a couple from Ponce. They claimed him as a cousin and had a rubbing from The Wall in a frame behind the bandstand. I know nothing other than that it's a very memorable name. Like if you meet an Agamemnon Gonzalez. It sticks.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 01:15 AM   #39
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Fox is hunting him down just like they did with Jusse Smollet. Wait, no they didn't.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 03:48 PM   #40
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Okay, so if we were to make a film about one group of inept spies trying to out-do another group of inept spies in ineptness, even though they all ostensibly work on the same side, and we just copied the plot from these idiots, people wouldn't buy it. It's just too implausible.

This is our lives, now.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics