ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , lawsuits , media criticism , Nathan Phillips , Nick Sandmann , protest incidents , racism charges

Old 22nd January 2019, 10:48 AM   #641
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah it was super relevant when white teens wearing MAGA hats were disrespecting a native by smiling, but now that they're getting death threats I guess the story's lost its spice, right?

Nonsense. If I say that health is important, it doesn't mean or imply that nothing else is. You're reaching.
Less of a reach than saying that "Make America Great Again" means that America wasn't as good as it used to be and that's because of all the foreigners and immigrants that we let into the country.

Quote:
Then you haven't been paying attention to the context in which it's been used.
What context is that?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:51 AM   #642
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Less of a reach than saying that "Make America Great Again" means that America wasn't as good as it used to be and that's because of all the foreigners and immigrants that we let into the country.
Except that this is exactly what they're saying. Why is America not as great? Because jobs went oversees (foreigners). Because of illegal immigration (foreigners). Because of political correctness (partly foreigners). Etc. The entire message is about "the other" destroying America. What do you think it means? It's quite clear; not even hidden.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:52 AM   #643
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
A writer for SNL named Sarah Beattie offered to perform fellatio on anyone who would punch the high school kid in the face.

Huh....
It's normal for people to offer rewards to get something done. It's called Taking Care of Business or simply TCB.

But this offer does pretty much exclude women from getting the reward which is pretty much sexist or discriminatory. So, not cool!
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:53 AM   #644
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I don't think its a "boys will be boys" situation. The BI have no political power, no economical power, and no power to oppress.

The MAGA teens, however, are part of a large cult of people who have control of the White House and Republican party. They are the greater threat to society.
So you've joined varwoche, smartcooky, and kookbreaker in agreeing that it's OK for hate groups to verbally assault children with racist and homophobic epitherts as long as the hate group doesn't have any power or history of violence?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:53 AM   #645
The Big Dog

Saw a six second snippet of a video posted on twitter saying that the Covington kids were mean to her or something.

"linds" should have cleaned out her wildly racist, homophobic, anti-mexican tweets before she posted that ******* garbage.

Maybe "linds" was "prey" just like her fellow travelers in the Black Hebrew hate group?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:54 AM   #646
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's normal for people to offer rewards to get something done. It's called Taking Care of Business or simply TCB.

But this offer does pretty much exclude women from getting the reward which is pretty much sexist or discriminatory. So, not cool!
She can still go down on them.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:56 AM   #647
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I remember when America was great and it was full of foreigners and immigrants. My own ancestors, two generations before me, were foreign immigrants.
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:59 AM   #648
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She can still go down on them.
She had every opportunity to say that but didn't. She doesn't want a woman to be the puncher.
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:59 AM   #649
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

One only need to observe what they support. The rounding up of children into prison camps, the marginalization of non-white people, the hatred of homosexuals, and the support of a would-be authoritarian president.
You're describing those Black Hebrew morons.
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:59 AM   #650
Belz...
Fiend God

I remember when America was great and it was full of foreigners and immigrants.
Yeah but those were white, at least. Now they're all swarthy and all.

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:04 AM   #651
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yeah but those were white, at least. Now they're all swarthy and all.
Foreigners and immigrants of every color. America was full of them and great at the same time.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:08 AM   #652
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Except that this is exactly what they're saying. Why is America not as great? Because jobs went oversees (foreigners). Because of illegal immigration (foreigners). Because of political correctness (partly foreigners). Etc. The entire message is about "the other" destroying America. What do you think it means? It's quite clear; not even hidden.
Devils advocate.

Why is it racist to be upset with jobs going overseas? Losing jobs always upsets people. They would be equally upset if those jobs went to Europe. Point is, manufacturing capacity made the US contribution to WW1 and WW2 possible. The MAGA message is a desire to restore that capacity instead of being primarily a service economy for those lacking higher education.

Ideally there is no more war and itís not an issue. But if there is, does America have the capacity to fire up the ďwar machineĒ anymore? A lot of people donít think so and it has nothing to do with race.

Regarding illegal immigration, itís the ďillegalĒ part that people take issue with. Aside from a very small minority, in the US weíre all children of immigrants. Thereís no issue with Canada because their economy is on par with ours. People arenít trying to cross illegally. Itís not because they are largely of European decent. We have vast oceans making illegal crossing from the east or west rather impossible. So the only issue is with a southern border. White, brown, or otherwise, itís the only border where people have both the motivation and the means to cross illegally. Itís not racist to want people to follow the laws.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:09 AM   #653
Belz...
Fiend God

Foreigners and immigrants of every color. America was full of them and great at the same time.
You really think they know this? Odds are they think segregation was a solution to that, not a problem in and of itself.

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:10 AM   #654
The Big Dog

The LAPD is investigating some blue check pud who uses the twitter handle House of Shoes and who wrote that the high school should be burned to the ground, and his followers should punch and shoot the kids.

Twitter has not blocked his yet, tho, because MAGA hat
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:11 AM   #655
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
Devils advocate.

Why is it racist to be upset with jobs going overseas? Losing jobs always upsets people. They would be equally upset if those jobs went to Europe. Point is, manufacturing capacity made the US contribution to WW1 and WW2 possible. The MAGA message is a desire to restore that capacity instead of being primarily a service economy for those lacking higher education.
I was refering to the campaign and the idea behind MAGA as an election slogan rather than why someone would latch on to it as a voter. Trump and his ilk have been very directed in their attacks against "the other". I don't know enough about the statistical opinion of Trump supporters to claim that they have the same thoughts.

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:19 AM   #656
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

You really think they know this? Odds are they think segregation was a solution to that, not a problem in and of itself.
I'd like to respond but I'm not sure who and what you are asking about. Can you go back and detail this post for me. Sorry I wasn't able to follow what you wrote.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:20 AM   #657
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

So you've joined varwoche, smartcooky, and kookbreaker in agreeing that it's OK for hate groups to verbally assault children with racist and homophobic epitherts as long as the hate group doesn't have any power or history of violence?
Fer crying out loud, not only have I not said anything like that. I clearly stated my low opinion of Phillips' actions.

The BS and thread inattentiveness have reached pandemic levels here.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:20 AM   #658
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
...and? Was he doxxed?

In fact, was anyone "doxxed" at all?
Do you know his name? Do you know what state he lives in? Did you know that a week ago? Then he was "doxxed"
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:22 AM   #659
Belz...
Fiend God

I'd like to respond but I'm not sure who and what you are asking about. Can you go back and detail this post for me. Sorry I wasn't able to follow what you wrote.
Perhaps you missed the original sarcasm?

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:23 AM   #660
The Big Dog

Here is a video showing how Drum Grift ended, with the kid surrounded by the "activists" and the guy who screamed that the kids should go back to Europe claiming that THEY were having a demonstration, and that the kids "came here."

We know that is a total lie

https://twitter.com/almostjingo/stat...76850649112576

A few minutes later their Elder was crying about it.

Grifters gonna grift
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:26 AM   #661
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, they are. The MAGA hats prove it.
What is MAGA? Its a symbol of a number of things in Trump's platform

Hatred of Muslims
Hatred of immigrants of colour, especially Latinos
Hatred of any people of colour
White Supremacy
White Nationalism

I can easily see why you, and others, perhaps see it as a symbol of Nazism; that wearing a MAGA hat is like wearing a Swastika armband.

For mine, wearing a MAGA hat doesn't necessarily make the wearer a Nazi, it just shows the wearer for what they really are, a stupid, ignorant alt-right fool.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:32 AM   #662
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
For mine, wearing a MAGA hat doesn't necessarily make the wearer a Nazi, it just shows the wearer for what they really are, a stupid, ignorant alt-right fool.
That's not much better, you conflating alt-right with Trump voter.

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:32 AM   #663
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Perhaps you missed the original sarcasm?
I guess I did and I still do. I don't know the who and what which are built into your sarcasm. I'm totally lost.

You could just say nevermind now, if you think it's not worth explaining the sarcasm.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:32 AM   #664
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Even the Black and Hispanic people I saw wearing them in D.C. this summer.

Iíll add to my earlier post. Three plus days wandering around 10 plus miles a day in D.C. I didnít see one person wearing a MAGA hat confronted by any other person. People kept to their own business primarily.

I know itís anecdotal, but it makes me hopeful that most people are just polite, honest, hard workers thatíll give you directions to the Smithsonian regardless of what hat you are or arenít wearing.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:34 AM   #665
Belz...
Fiend God

I guess I did and I still do. I don't know the who and what which are built into your sarcasm. I'm totally lost.

You could just say nevermind now, if you think it's not worth explaining the sarcasm.
I'm making fun of the right-wingers' nostalgic idea of a pure, white America of yore where everything was roses and white bunnies everywhere. Obviously they have to ignore a great deal in order to believe it.

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:39 AM   #666
baron

Shhh, we don't talk about things like that. It's inconvenient.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:43 AM   #667
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It's perversely racist to think that non-whites are incapable of bigotry and/or dim-wittedness.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:45 AM   #668
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'm making fun of the right-wingers' nostalgic idea of a pure, white America of yore where everything was roses and white bunnies everywhere. Obviously they have to ignore a great deal in order to believe it.
I don't associate myself with any political party but the right wingers that I know personally do not equate previous greatness with some all-white period of American history. When was that period anyway?
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:45 AM   #669
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
So a steel worker who sees jobs returning to their industry and is in line for his biggest pay rise in a decade, who wants to show his support for the guy who made it happen by wearing a MAGA hat, is by default a Nazi simply for that reason? It's madness.
So a steel worker in 1930's Germany, who sees jobs returning to their industry and is in line for his biggest pay rise in a decade, who wants to show his support for the guy who made it happen by wearing a Swastika, is by default a Nazi simply for that reason? It's madness.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:46 AM   #670
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't associate myself with any political party but the right wingers that I know personally do not equate previous greatness with some all-white period of American history. When was that period anyway?
Well, it never existed, so I wouldn't know.

And do you mean "people on the right" or actual "right wingers"? The latter doesn't include moderates.

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:47 AM   #671
The Big Dog

I see more 'activists' have shown up to "protest' in front of a school that was shut down because of numerous threats of violence.

Good job drum hoaxers
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:48 AM   #672
Belz...
Fiend God

I see more 'activists' have shown up to "protest' in front of a school that was shut down because of numerous threats of violence.

Good job drum hoaxers
You lose, sir. You didn't say "race grifters" in your post.

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:51 AM   #673
rdwight
Muse

Have any videos come out showing the students chanting 'build that wall'? I saw multiple news reports referencing this happening, and even upon updates after the full video was released only mention 'they were not audible by the video', but never a retraction of the claim. Guess I find it hard to believe that with so many people videoing the encounter that such a claim remains reported but unsubstantiated.

Doesn't matter too much but irks me for some reason.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:52 AM   #674
The Big Dog

Another race grifter has posted a video that she claims is Covington student saying something stupid.

It was clearly not a Covington student.

Gotta tell you though, hoax videos are like mother's milk for the race grifters.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:53 AM   #675
Belz...
Fiend God

Another race grifter has posted a video that she claims is Covington student saying something stupid.

Gotta tell you though, hoax videos are like mother's milk for the race grifters.
Compensating for your earlier mistake. I like that.

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:54 AM   #676
The Big Dog

The only one I can find that has supported Nathan's Vietnam claims is Senator Blumenthal who served proudly with him in recon rangers.

That ends that i guess!

Old 22nd January 2019, 11:56 AM   #677
Thermal
Philosopher

Here is a video showing how Drum Grift ended, with the kid surrounded by the "activists" and the guy who screamed that the kids should go back to Europe claiming that THEY were having a demonstration, and that the kids "came here."

We know that is a total lie

https://twitter.com/almostjingo/stat...76850649112576

A few minutes later their Elder was crying about it.

Grifters gonna grift
Whoo hoo!
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:57 AM   #678
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And there were Jews who agreed with Hitler and the Nazis in the early 1930's (and even wore Swastikas). They agreed with him because they were anti-Zionist and because he was anti-communist.

All that changed after 1933.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:58 AM   #679
Thermal
Philosopher

Whoo hoo!

Alcohol poisoning is back on the menu, boys!
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:06 PM   #680
Spock Jenkins
Muse

And there were Jews who agreed with Hitler and the Nazis in the early 1930's (and even wore Swastikas). They agreed with him because they were anti-Zionist and because he was anti-communist.

All that changed after 1933.
Is this the law? I forget the name of it.

Regardless, not a Trump fan. Wasnít a Hillary fan. I fear any hope or notion of civility in politics is lost. Call me naive, or whatever else you want, worse case scenario is Trump serves out two terms and nobody better comes along (as low as that bar seems). Weíre not heading for Nazi Germany.

Some folks are just losing their minds over a knuckle head with a bad case of foot-in-mouth disease and no sense of shame.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics