ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:37 PM   #2721
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Itís just . . . baffling. The police have dug up the whole story and thatís what we get from his camp? As high-falutiní as Mark Garagos is, why would he be willing to go down with this ship?

Nothing makes sense here. Is there another layer to this whole thing we havenít seen yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gallagos is a typical Hollywood lawyer....he functions not so much as an courtroom attorney, but as a PR hack. The really good courtoom lawyers in LA you almost never hear of, and avoid publicity,where as Gallagos courts it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:39 PM   #2722
baron

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I may have to binge watch this show just to see how they do it on such short notice. So far my only exposure to Smollett is his minor role as a Xenomorph victim in Covenant.
Did it lynch him and cover him in alien bleach?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:41 PM   #2723
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, that surprises me.

They must know that he's not telling the truth.
From what I have read, his fellow cast members were expecting an apology and a mea culpa, and were outraged when Smollet insisted on his innocence and pulled out his "The Police Set Me Up" story. The set of Empire is not going to be a happy place....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:45 PM   #2724
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I didn't know that he is claiming a police set-up. Is that true?
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:48 PM   #2725
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Are the brothers forced to forfeit the $3500? Or will they have to pay income tax on it? Payment for services.
I am sure the legal fees they will have to pay from this..they will certainly be charged with being an accessory to the hoax...will more then eat up the $3500.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:49 PM   #2726
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yup.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:51 PM   #2727
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yup.
Interesting that he's blaming the police instead of the brothers. Or, is his story that the police hired the brothers?
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:52 PM   #2728
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"I was set up by the cops! They were supposed to find a couple of white guys. Instead, they confronted me with my own accomplices! Who does that? Corrupt, racist pigs, that's who!"
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:53 PM   #2729
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, he doesn't really have a lot of options now. What story can he tell at this point, besides "the cops did it"?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:07 PM   #2730
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
"I was the victim of the Osundairo Brothers' so-called 'operation.' They threatened not to beat me up if I didn't pay them. What choice did I have?"

(aka the Piranha Brothers defense)
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:13 PM   #2731
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I mean, he doesn't really have a lot of options now. What story can he tell at this point, besides "the cops did it"?
Somewhere in his defense has to be, "the brothers are lying". Added would be, "I gave them money but not for a hoax. I still don't know why they beat me up."
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:18 PM   #2732
The Big Dog

Jussie just announced that he has an untreated drug problem.

And that gives me the G column and:

BINGO!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:24 PM   #2733
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"I gave them $3500 for drugs and then they beat me up. I guess I deserve it, but I'm innocent of everything other than having an addiction."
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:26 PM   #2734
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Jussie just announced that he has an untreated drug problem.

And that gives me the G column and:

BINGO!
Link?
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:30 PM   #2735
Whip
Graduate Poster

"I gave them $3500 for drugs and then they beat me up. I guess I deserve it, but I'm innocent of everything other than having an addiction."
his words were pretty calculated on GMA. not sure any drug issue is gonna fly.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:32 PM   #2736
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
Link?
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/848682...claim-ecstasy/
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:34 PM   #2737
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
his words were pretty calculated on GMA. not sure any drug issue is gonna fly.
"One of the symptoms of drug addiction is that you say strange things. Things that don't make any sense. Like you are in a different world. I'm innocent of everything other than having an addiction."
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:35 PM   #2738
Drewbot
Philosopher

I don't believe him. (about the drug problem)
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:38 PM   #2739
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Looks like it's a TMZ story. The Sun is quoting TMZ.

I think that's what's happening here.
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:41 PM   #2740
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We already knew he was buying drugs from a brother, as this was in the proffer. Looks like TMZ is saying that during his arrest he said that he has an untreated addiction.
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:45 PM   #2741
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

His friends will know if he has a drug problem.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:46 PM   #2742
baron

He is such a pathetic little weasel.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:46 PM   #2743
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

His friends will know if he has a drug problem.
A Hollywood actor with a drug problem?
Oh,I am so,so, shocked.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:48 PM   #2744
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I'm trying to figure out if anyone else with a drug problem acted this way.

I don't see it.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:50 PM   #2745
baron

I don't see it.
It would be even more interesting to figure out how a drug problem could compel someone to plan such a detail and involved hoax as opposed to, you know, loll around their apartment and watch TV.
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:55 PM   #2746
Hungry81
Master Poster

I don't see it.
He is a narcissistic worm who would try and use any excuse for mitigation and sympathy.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:57 PM   #2747
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by baron View Post
He is such a pathetic little weasel.
he's approached scumbag territory now.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:57 PM   #2748
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Is that literally hours after they claimed he was a real professional and a great asset to the show and would be going nowhere?

Have you never seen a Football Club President at a press conference saying that "the Coach has our full vote of confidence?". That is the point when the coach starts packing his bags because he knows he will be gone in a week.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:00 PM   #2749
Steve
Philosopher

Seems like every time he opens his mouth he extends the depth of the hole he is digging .
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:16 PM   #2750
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Just curious if anyone has seen anyone anywhere still defending Jussie. It seems like he is getting criticism (rightfully so) from all sides. I do notice some that were defending him early on have gone silent, but that's a bit different than a continued defense.

Of course, Jussie himself and his PR/Defense people don't count.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:18 PM   #2751
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Seems like every time he opens his mouth he extends the depth of the hole he is digging .
Because never tell anyone if you have a drug addiction, especially the police as you are being arrested.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:20 PM   #2752
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I don't believe him. (about the drug problem)
If it wasn't affecting his work, I guess he was managing it pretty well, and it wasn't really much of a problem.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:23 PM   #2753
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Just curious if anyone has seen anyone anywhere still defending Jussie. It seems like he is getting criticism (rightfully so) from all sides. I do notice some that were defending him early on have gone silent, but that's a bit different than a continued defense.

Of course, Jussie himself and his PR/Defense people don't count.
There are current reports that there are people at Empire who believe he is innocent. Of course "out in the world" there would be people believing him as well. There are too many billions of people for there not to be any true believers.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:23 PM   #2754
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If they could write out Charlies Sheen from "Two and a Half Men", they can write out anybody.
They managed to write out Taggart from Taggart!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:26 PM   #2755
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If it wasn't affecting his work, I guess he was managing it pretty well, and it wasn't really much of a problem.
I don't think molly is actually addictive. If he has a serious addiction it is more likely to be cocaine or heroin. But then maybe it's some other opiate or form.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:33 PM   #2756
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think molly is actually addictive. If he has a serious addiction it is more likely to be cocaine or heroin. But then maybe it's some other opiate or form.
My assessment doesn't depend on it being molly.

Whatever it (supposedly) is, he seems to have been showing up on set, hitting his mark, and delivering his lines.

Drugs can make you act crazy, sure. But it doesn't seem like any of his coworkers are saying, "you know he's always been a little difficult on set. This hoax thing is totally believable, knowing him."
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:38 PM   #2757
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
What's the TL;DR on an anti-lynching bill? Why would such a thing be necessary or at all useful? Murder/attempted murder is illegal. All kinds of variations less severe than that are also illegal. Is this another useless bill to make one's side look good and the other look bad if they reject it as more useless legislation?

Or does the bill have a lot of other stuff attached like all of these things do
I realise this is now not the main theory, but I didn't see it properly responded to. If you read the bill, it redefines the meaning of the word lynching.

"If 2 or more persons willfully cause bodily injury to any other person, because of the actual or perceived race, color, religion, or national origin of any person"

ď(A) IN GENERAL.óIf 2 or more persons, in any circumstance described in subparagraph (B), willfully cause bodily injury to any other person because of the actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of any personó

So, in this lynching law any time 2 or more people cause bodily injury to somebody in a protected class, for reasons of their class, that would be a lynching. If the townsfolk believed a child murderer was held by the police, broke into the police station to get their hands him, and hanged him from a lamppost, that would not be the sort of lynching that would be counted. If a crowd of antifa attack a jewish man, or some marines, because they mistake them for nazis.... that would not be a lynching in the sense of this law. If a couple of drunks throw a bottle at a transsexual, that could well be a lynching.

If I had to bet, I'd say that at least part of the intention is to create a situation where an inflated number of lynchings are recorded, skewed heavily in favour of straight white men as the aggressors. It's the privileged plus power redefinition of lynching.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:51 PM   #2758
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

My assessment doesn't depend on it being molly.

Whatever it (supposedly) is, he seems to have been showing up on set, hitting his mark, and delivering his lines.

Drugs can make you act crazy, sure. But it doesn't seem like any of his coworkers are saying, "you know he's always been a little difficult on set. This hoax thing is totally believable, knowing him."
We don't know anything about what happens on set with Smollett. Maybe he needs extra takes when others don't, but he still delivers. We don't know. Maybe the problems happen if he shows up sober (not under the influence). Maybe he's a high-functioning coke or heroin addict.

Maybe his addiction didn't contribute to this crime but still he mentions having an addiction and that is true.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:57 PM   #2759
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

And remembering to mention mitigating factors when the police showed up.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:02 PM   #2760
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

TMZ reporting that the FBI has not reached a conclusion about the origin of the letter.

That would mean CPD spoke way too soon...

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events