ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 26th March 2019, 09:27 AM   #3161
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
The FBI called and said that they couldn't ID the letter (I haven't been paying much attention so maybe they did?) and the Police were suddenly wasting too much time on a (now) small potatoes case.
I can't imagine they would have gotten as far toward a trial based on evidence they were still waiting for from the FBI. As I understand it, prosecutors normally have a high degree of confidence in their case and whether its worth pursuing when they decide to indict.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:27 AM   #3162
sadhatter
Philosopher

Love how we are in the age of holding celebrities accountable for their actions.

If they are white and male.

This is going to throw has into the garbage fire that is race relations in 2019.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:28 AM   #3163
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I don't think many reasonable foods are thinking he didn't do it at this point.
I know a pepperoni pizza that thinks he didn't do it.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:30 AM   #3164
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

This man committed federal mail fraud and terroristic threats, using fake white powder.

He wasted police resources and took media attention off real issues (ha) and did it to stir racial divisions (so far so good) and improve his marketability / name recognition / what sort of salary he can command.

Now he gets let off and gets to parade around claiming he was exonerated / innocent or something.

Honk honk!

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 26th March 2019 at 09:31 AM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:30 AM   #3165
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I can't imagine they would have gotten as far toward a trial based on evidence they were still waiting for from the FBI. As I understand it, prosecutors normally have a high degree of confidence in their case and whether its worth pursuing when they decide to indict.
Ever had a small friend who was a dick? That guy that starts fights at the bar knowing if the other guy wins he actually looks worse for beating a little guy?

That is where we are in regards to equality. And it is causing severe resentment. This (just one example) is going to seriously stoke some hated Jussie may not have been attacked but I guarentee many gay black men will be.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:39 AM   #3166
Thermal
Philosopher

Now Jussie will launch his OJ-esque hunt for the real attackers.

I'm thinking "Osundario Brothers, Bounty Hunters"
Old 26th March 2019, 09:44 AM   #3167
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Ever had a small friend who was a dick? That guy that starts fights at the bar knowing if the other guy wins he actually looks worse for beating a little guy?

That is where we are in regards to equality. And it is causing severe resentment. This (just one example) is going to seriously stoke some hated Jussie may not have been attacked but I guarentee many gay black men will be.
I'm not sure how that applies. If the prosecutor was concerned that it would look bad to pursue the case, they had plenty of time before now to make that call. As I said, I'm under the impression that deciding whether a case is worth pursuing happen much earlier in the process.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:45 AM   #3168
sadhatter
Philosopher

The part that really pisses me off is I can guarentee news networks are going to have the most right wing dick heads as the talking heads for why this was wrong.

I can honestly say I may make opinion on this matter my new yard sick for if someone's opinion on equality is worth listening to.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:47 AM   #3169
sadhatter
Philosopher

I'm not sure how that applies. If the prosecutor was concerned that it would look bad to pursue the case, they had plenty of time before now to make that call. As I said, I'm under the impression that deciding whether a case is worth pursuing happen much earlier in the process.
Because all decisions are made instantly with no room for pressure to change them.

We live in a ****** enough time that optics are more important than law.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:54 AM   #3170
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Because all decisions are made instantly with no room for pressure to change them.

We live in a ****** enough time that optics are more important than law.
Could you rephrase that? I'm having a little trouble parsing your meaning here.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 26th March 2019, 09:56 AM   #3171
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Prosecutor to Chicago Police Department: How many weeks did it take you guys to figure out that it was a hoax? How many investigators did you put on it? Did you guys get your brains from a cereal box or from Walmart?
Old 26th March 2019, 10:01 AM   #3172
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Prosecutor to Chicago Police Department: How many weeks did it take you guys to figure out that it was a hoax? How many investigators did you put on it? Did you guys get your brains from a cereal box or from Walmart?
"Aw, come on! He still had the rope around his neck 45 minutes after the attack and everything! Who are we supposed to be, a bunch of Sherlocks?"
Old 26th March 2019, 10:02 AM   #3173
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe the DA felt the evidence was not strong enough to convict in court?

But this case has truly become bizarre.

And sealing it is,IMHO, a stupid mistake. Will just add to the fires.

And Chicago Law Enforcement maintains it's reputation as the most Effed up in the country.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:07 AM   #3174
ahhell
Master Poster

I for one, have no idea what happened to or what was done by Jussie Smollet. I suspect I will never have an certainty on this event. I will distrust those that do though.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:07 AM   #3175
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Smollett just got in front of a microphone and said that he has "been truthful and consistent from day one".

The thing is, everyone knows that it was a hoax and he was lying then and he is lying now. Somewhere out there, there is a pepperoni pizza that thinks he is innocent.

The prosecutors know that enough information and evidence has already been presented and leaked that Smollett is essentially doomed and will be a walking zombie for the rest of his days. His punishment is that he is known to be toxic and a great public relations risk to anyone who hires him. He will only make it worse for himself because he will continue to lie instead of apologizing for creating the big stupid hoax.

The world will get to watch a dead man walking.
Old 26th March 2019, 10:08 AM   #3176
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
All charges against Smollet have been dropped! WTF?
White Privilege strikes again!!
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:16 AM   #3177
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What is fascinating is nobody involved in the case on either side now has any creditbility.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:19 AM   #3178
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I for one, have no idea what happened to or what was done by Jussie Smollet. I suspect I will never have an certainty on this event. I will distrust those that do though.
It is really bizarre.
The mostly likely is the DA felt the evidence against Smolett was not strong enough to convict,but if this is the case why didn't the DA just say "Insufficent Evidence?'.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th March 2019, 10:24 AM   #3179
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
How could this happen? What really happened?

The case is sealed?! Will the public ever see all the evidence, see the facts?

So who, and what, are we to believe, if the underlying facts can never be publicly known?
and it seems odd to be sealed while the attorneys can run around going 'neener, neener, neener'.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:31 AM   #3180
bytewizard
Master Poster

SA Kim Foxx recused herself from the case then dropped the charges. The Chicago police
Union is calling for a federal investigation into the State Attorney's actions.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:35 AM   #3181
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The mostly likely is the DA felt the evidence against Smolett was not strong enough to convict,but if this is the case why didn't the DA just say "Insufficent Evidence?'.
I don't agree with that at all.

If I had to guess I would say that the prosecutors decided that it is stupid to chase this obvious hoaxer any longer. Everyone already knows he is guilty. And in the end, it's really a minor thing. A fake hate crime without any real injuries other than scratches made by Smollett himself. And 16 charges? Why, when it's just one single hoax?
Old 26th March 2019, 10:41 AM   #3182
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

What a joke.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:49 AM   #3183
applecorped
Suspended

The federal case involving the letter has not been canceled, it is still ongoing
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:52 AM   #3184
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I don't agree with that at all.

If I had to guess I would say that the prosecutors decided that it is stupid to chase this obvious hoaxer any longer. Everyone already knows he is guilty. And in the end, it's really a minor thing. A fake hate crime without any real injuries other than scratches made by Smollett himself.
And a whole lot of police resources diverted from other potential uses. That's not a small thing. It deserves to be punished, visibly, both because of the harm it did and to discourage others from making false reports.

Quote:
And 16 charges? Why, when it's just one single hoax?
That's likely insurance to make sure something stuck, as well as possibly leverage to entice a plea deal.

It's just surprising they went with such a lenient one.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:55 AM   #3185
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It's likely that they figured out it was a hoax early on, but with a high profile racially charged case like this, you really want all your i's dotted and t's crossed before you go public. And doing that can take a lot of legwork, even if you know where it's going to end up.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:57 AM   #3186
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Right now it's being reported that the Mayor is furious with prosecutors for dropping the charges.
Old 26th March 2019, 10:59 AM   #3187
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes it takes longer for the prosecutor's office to recognize a no-goer, or for city hall to make their case for/against, or for commercial entities to make their feelings known.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 11:01 AM   #3188
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Right now it's being reported that the Mayor is furious with prosecutors for dropping the charges.
Gambling! In Casablanca?!

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 11:01 AM   #3189
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Rumors going around that Foxx may have been texting with Smollett's people/relatives.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 11:02 AM   #3190
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's likely insurance to make sure something stuck, as well as possibly leverage to entice a plea deal.

It's just surprising they went with such a lenient one.
This isn't actually a deal of any kind. The prosecutor simply announced the dropping of charges and the forfeit of bail money. Smollett didn't agree to anything here - though he is probably pleased with it.

Let's see if he gets cocky and sues the city of Chicago. LOL!
Old 26th March 2019, 11:03 AM   #3191
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

This isn't actually a deal of any kind. The prosecutor simply announced the dropping of charges and the forfeit of bail money. Smollett didn't agree to anything here - though he is probably pleased with it.

Let's see if he gets cocky and sues the city of Chicago. LOL!
I almost want that to happen to Foxx.

Old 26th March 2019, 11:04 AM   #3192
Ernie M
Muse

Sealing the case–keeping documentation out of the public's eye–means that the circumstances, facts, and context about this case are known to only a small number of people.

How is the public to trust anyone involved? The facts have been hidden.

The legal, judicial, law enforcement, and intelligence agencies, along with Hollywood influence, need to be scrutinized.

If Jussie Smollett says he's innocent and has been truthful and consistent all along, then show the files.

Sealing this case buries the facts.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 11:06 AM   #3193
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It's likely that they figured out it was a hoax early on, but with a high profile racially charged case like this, you really want all your i's dotted and t's crossed before you go public. And doing that can take a lot of legwork, even if you know where it's going to end up.
I don't see why two detectives could not have solved the whole thing. Instead they sent out a whole herd.
Old 26th March 2019, 11:12 AM   #3194
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Mayor says "this is a whitewash of justice" and that "this is not on the level".
Old 26th March 2019, 11:15 AM   #3195
Thermal
Philosopher

I don't see why two detectives could not have solved the whole thing. Instead they sent out a whole herd.
Four teenagers and a Great Dane could've unravelled this caper
Old 26th March 2019, 11:16 AM   #3196
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Oh shucks. Nothing to see here. Move along folks.

Talk about stunned, I read the headlines thinking this is an Onion article, right?

Damn straight it is not on the level.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 11:24 AM   #3197
Drewbot
Philosopher

Rush Limbaugh is saying the State Attorney was asked to do this to get the Mueller Report off of the top trending.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 11:40 AM   #3198
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Next week: Jussie and the Nigerian brothers together on Jerry Springer. The show opens with Kato Kaelin singing the National Anthem.
Old 26th March 2019, 11:41 AM   #3199
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Closed room deal?

I told you the whole "we want cameras in the courtroom" thing was a feint by Smollett's legal team.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:06 PM   #3200
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Sometimes it takes longer for the prosecutor's office to recognize a no-goer, or for city hall to make their case for/against, or for commercial entities to make their feelings known.
Can you list some other cases where prosecutors have dropped charges this far in (aside from through plea deals)? It seems like this case has been very public for a long time and entities with the power to change the prosecutor's position had a long time before now to weigh in.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events