ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 26th March 2019, 12:20 PM   #3201
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Rumors going around that Foxx may have been texting with Smollett's people/relatives.
And Chicago just proves again why, when it comes to civic corruption, it sets the standards by which all other cities are judged.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:23 PM   #3202
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't see why two detectives could not have solved the whole thing. Instead they sent out a whole herd.
Provided you could find two honest uncorruptable detectives on the Chicago PD. A Big If. Things in that regard have not changes too much since the good old days of Al Capone and the Untouchables.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:40 PM   #3203
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It is really bizarre.
The mostly likely is the DA felt the evidence against Smolett was not strong enough to convict,but if this is the case why didn't the DA just say "Insufficent Evidence?'.
If the prosecutor thought case was not strong enough they would not have put it front of a Grand Jury.
If there was new evidence the defence or prosecutor discovered after the Grand Jury - that would be the basis for the dropping of charges and would have been made public for certain.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:46 PM   #3204
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

This isn't actually a deal of any kind. The prosecutor simply announced the dropping of charges and the forfeit of bail money. Smollett didn't agree to anything here - though he is probably pleased with it.

Let's see if he gets cocky and sues the city of Chicago. LOL!
Smollett agreed to forfeit his bail bond. In other words - he agreed to a deal of $10,000 for a prosecutorial diversion. Of course he is pleased with it because the case is sealed and no-one can see what a terrible thing he did.

I would suggest that the words of the mayor and police chief today are designed to entice Smollett into a civil case against them. They know his lawyers will not allow that as that will open the facts of the case to the civil court process and public.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:46 PM   #3205
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How much will Smollett have to pay the brothers to keep their mouths shut now?
Old 26th March 2019, 12:47 PM   #3206
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
Sealing the case–keeping documentation out of the public's eye–means that the circumstances, facts, and context about this case are known to only a small number of people.

How is the public to trust anyone involved? The facts have been hidden.

The legal, judicial, law enforcement, and intelligence agencies, along with Hollywood influence, need to be scrutinized.

If Jussie Smollett says he's innocent and has been truthful and consistent all along, then show the files.

Sealing this case buries the facts.
^This^

Old 26th March 2019, 12:47 PM   #3207
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Something crooked this way comes...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:50 PM   #3208
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Something crooked this way comes...
SOP for the Windy City.....

The corruption never stops. Republican or Democrat makes no difference;it's a case of throw the old rascals out and put the new rascals in...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th March 2019, 12:50 PM   #3209
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Daily Mail will get the truth out of the brothers. That's how the world will know everything.
Old 26th March 2019, 12:51 PM   #3210
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

I don't see why two detectives could not have solved the whole thing. Instead they sent out a whole herd.
Your lack of knowledge and experience in investigations shows.
Investigations are time consuming and there was a huge amount of legwork and evidence chasing involved in this case with a big pressure to get it done fast. The only way to get it done under such political and time pressure was to throw resources at it.

Old 26th March 2019, 12:51 PM   #3211
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Rumors going around that Foxx may have been texting with Smollett's people/relatives.
Facts are going around that Foxx recused herself from the case back in February.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:55 PM   #3212
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Facts are going around that Foxx recused herself from the case back in February.
Do you think Foxx could have influenced things even with a formal recusal? Or would something make that impossible?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:58 PM   #3213
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Do you think Foxx could have influenced things even with a formal recusal? Or would something make that impossible?
Do you have anything more than innuendo?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:59 PM   #3214
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Closed room deal?

I told you the whole "we want cameras in the courtroom" thing was a feint by Smollett's legal team.
and it worked. it has you looking in the wrong direction.

Quote:
Foxx reached out to Johnson after Tina Tchen, former chief of staff to first lady Michelle Obama, emailed Foxx saying the actor’s family had unspecified “concerns about the investigation.” Tchen, a close friend of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s wife, said she was acting on behalf of the “Empire” actor and his family. A relative later exchanged texts with Foxx.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...313-story.html

Quote:
Foxx ultimately recused herself from the investigation, but only after asking Chicago Police Department superintendent Eddie Johnson to turn the case over to the FBI at the behest of one of Smollett’s relatives and a former Obama administration official, according to emails and text messages obtained by the Chicago Sun Times.
https://twitter.com/JussieSmollett/s...70337&ref_url=
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 01:00 PM   #3215
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Can you list some other cases where prosecutors have dropped charges this far in (aside from through plea deals)? It seems like this case has been very public for a long time and entities with the power to change the prosecutor's position had a long time before now to weigh in.
Here's a good example:

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/200...s-gun-charges/

ALHAMBRA – An East Los Angeles College student pleaded not guilty to six weapons counts on Tuesday.

Matthew Corwin, 23, was arrested last month after students and faculty alerted authorities to pictures of Corwin holding and firing multiple firearms on a Web site.

Corwin was the Associated Student Union president at the school, and also founded a gun enthusiast’s club called Students for the Second Amendment.

He was charged with two counts of possession of an assault weapon, two counts of possession of a deadly weapon, and one count of receiving stolen property.

Corwin initially faced 12 counts of weapons possession, and of sales of illegal weapons, but six charges were dropped after investigators determined that his Browning machine .30-caliber was legal.

The weapons found at his Monterey Park home that were alleged to be illegal were an AK-47, two AR-15s, a throwing star, and a pair of sap gloves, which are leather gloves with steel in the knuckles.

Corwin’s lawyer, Chuck Michel, claims that investigators who initially believed Corwin was a threat to students on campus, now realize he is nothing more than a gun enthusiast.

He was arrested and charged in April, 2007.

As noted above, six charges were dismissed in May 2007.

It took until December 2007 for all the charges to be dropped. He only incurred a legal bill.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...89&postcount=1

Dear Calgunners,

By now you will probably all have heard the good news. All of the charges in the criminal complaint against Matt have been dropped. There were twelve charges in all, six for possession or selling 1919 belt-fed firearms, three for possession of assault weapons (legally-configured OLL's), one for possession of stolen government property, and two for non-firearm "karate" weapons (shuriken and weighted gloves). As we all know, 1919's are as legal as double-barreled shotguns, so there was never really anything to charge him with there. The DA's office, in their generosity, agreed to drop those six charges pretty much right away. The "stolen" government property was Matt's all along, left over from his service in the army, and in the end the DA graciously agreed to drop that charge as well. The OLL felony charges were dropped in favor of a civil compromise, where the state confiscates the rifles but then does not charge Matt with anything that will later affect his firearms rights or his employment prospects. (More on this later, in a subsequent post.) The DA also agreed to drop the "karate" weapons charges.

Those of you who have been following the case know also that there were some very serious false accusations against Matt early in the case. Shortly after Matt was released on bail, someone at East LA College made a threat via email against ELAC and signed Matt's name to it. The LA county sheriff's department was preparing to take Matt back to jail, when TMLLP (working overtime on a weekend) was able to prove that the email was forged and to identify its author. This contributed significantly to his legal bill.

As of the dismissal, the total bill for Matt's defense was $43,300.30. That includes, of course, work done to expedite the bail process and get him out of jail, proof that the email threat was forged and the identification of the real author, and all those continuances before the DA agreed to drop the charges. (Those of you who have been following the case closely will remember that bond was set unreasonably high, and Matt languished in jail for three weeks before his grandmother could put up her house for bail.)

The calguns community came through wonderfully in support of our own. As of yesterday, TMLLP has received $27,840.00 from us towards Matt's defense. That, together with the $5,000.00 his family was able to provide, leaves an outstanding balance of $10,460.30. To all of you who have contributed already, please accept our heartfelt thanks. To those of you who have offered to contribute now, we thank you and gladly accept your generosity. Before Matt's arrest, there was much talk of what would happen if one of us were arrested, and many people promised to step up and help financially. You have proven to be men and women of your word, and I am honored to be a part of this community.

Checks for Matt's defense fund should be made payable to Trutanich-Michel Trust Fund, with "Matthew Corwin Legal Defense Fund" listed on the subject line. Mail them to

Trutanich-Michel LLP
180 E. Ocean Blvd., Ste 200
Long Beach, CA 90802

If you have questions, you can contact the firm at

Tel (562) 216-4444
Fax (562) 216-4445
www.tmllp.com

You can also make contributions through paypal. PM user 69Mach1 for details on that.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 01:08 PM   #3216
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I would agree except for one thing: It's Chicago.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th March 2019, 01:32 PM   #3217
sadhatter
Philosopher

Smollett just got in front of a microphone and said that he has "been truthful and consistent from day one".

The thing is, everyone knows that it was a hoax and he was lying then and he is lying now. Somewhere out there, there is a pepperoni pizza that thinks he is innocent.

The prosecutors know that enough information and evidence has already been presented and leaked that Smollett is essentially doomed and will be a walking zombie for the rest of his days. His punishment is that he is known to be toxic and a great public relations risk to anyone who hires him. He will only make it worse for himself because he will continue to lie instead of apologizing for creating the big stupid hoax.

The world will get to watch a dead man walking.
I hope so.

I think the more likely situation is that he will spin this into being a poster child for wrongly accused people, and be more famous than before.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 01:43 PM   #3218
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I hope so.

I think the more likely situation is that he will spin this into being a poster child for wrongly accused people, and be more famous than before.

He and O.J. Simpson can go on tour together.

I'm kinda speechless at the moment. Shocked and very disappointed. There's so much wrong with this.
Old 26th March 2019, 01:48 PM   #3219
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have anything. But lots of people are suggesting she interfered, people who are a lot more familiar with Chicago politics than I am. You suggested they're wrong because Foxx recused herself. I'm saying that her recusal doesn't prove them wrong. If that's correct, if she still could influence proceedings despite a recusal, that doesn't mean that she actually did influence proceedings. So I'm not claiming all these people are right about Foxx, merely that they can't be dismissed based on her recusal. I'm perfectly happy to acknowledge that they haven't been shown to be right, either.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 02:09 PM   #3220
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Well somebody(s) in the prosecutor's department decided to charge him 16 times. Is that the same person(s) who decided to drop all the charges? How many cooks are in that kitchen?
Old 26th March 2019, 02:14 PM   #3221
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Rafer is back...

Originally Posted by Rafer Weigel via Twitter
The State’s attorney’s office is saying the decision to drop the charges against Jussie Smollett did not come from Kim Foxx as she recused herself. No one that’s close to the case that I’ve talked to outside of Smollett’s legal team believes that.
https://twitter.com/RaferWeigel/stat...08371915374594
Old 26th March 2019, 02:26 PM   #3222
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Does this mean that the US doesn't treat black people negatively?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 02:31 PM   #3223
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Rush Limbaugh is saying the State Attorney was asked to do this to get the Mueller Report off of the top trending.
Limbaugh makes me puke. But that type of explanation hauls a lot of water.

The perp was escalating, this wasn't going to get his season extended, slapping his wrist is both an individual and collective signal for him and every other perp to just do a little better covering up. It goes against common sense, to conceal the full extent of his criminality, the entire investigation I guess. Who knows what else he did.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 02:34 PM   #3224
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Rush Limbaugh is saying the State Attorney was asked to do this to get the Mueller Report off of the top trending.

So he’s quite openly promoting unfounded conspiracy theories then. What a jerk.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 02:39 PM   #3225
carlitos
"más divertido"

horrifying attack on Jussie Smollett

Her texts about handing the case off to the feds (and getting it out of Chicago PD) with Tina Tchen, a former Michelle Obama aide and one of Jussie’s relatives were published online. I linked them earlier in the thread.

horrifying attack on Jussie Smollett
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/re...t-to-kim-foxx/

Last edited by carlitos; 26th March 2019 at 02:41 PM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 02:39 PM   #3226
pharphis
Master Poster

Smollett just got in front of a microphone and said that he has "been truthful and consistent from day one".

The thing is, everyone knows that it was a hoax and he was lying then and he is lying now. Somewhere out there, there is a pepperoni pizza that thinks he is innocent.

The prosecutors know that enough information and evidence has already been presented and leaked that Smollett is essentially doomed and will be a walking zombie for the rest of his days. His punishment is that he is known to be toxic and a great public relations risk to anyone who hires him. He will only make it worse for himself because he will continue to lie instead of apologizing for creating the big stupid hoax.

The world will get to watch a dead man walking.
I'm not convinced the pepperoni pizza actually believes this, or is still living to confirm this.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 02:40 PM   #3227
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Well somebody(s) in the prosecutor's department decided to charge him 16 times. Is that the same person(s) who decided to drop all the charges? How many cooks are in that kitchen?
I think this will be pretty obvious, they can't just say the decision made itself, nobody was in charge of it.

That will inspire the right questions, about the right connections, and we will know more than just vaguely that this is corruption.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 02:44 PM   #3228
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Her texts about handing the case off to the feds (and getting it out of Chicago PD) with Tina Tchen, a former Michelle Obama aide and one of Jussie’s relatives were published online. I linked them earlier in the thread.
Yes, yes.

My first inclination was to think this came from "above". Either hand it off to corrupt feds, or do the old extortion/quid-pro-quo. Whatever works.

Any explanation is better than "Oh, well we did 16 charges and had all this evidence, all the resources and national attention... and we just decided to forget about it."
Old 26th March 2019, 02:50 PM   #3229
Wolrab
Illuminator

Well, it is Cook County.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 02:56 PM   #3230
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/20...arges-dropped/

Now he has apparently done "community service"...

16 hours helping Jessie Jackson...

But why is an innocent man doing any sort of community service?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 26th March 2019 at 02:57 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 02:59 PM   #3231
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I never knew you could do CS beforehand to get rid of felony counts.

Old 26th March 2019, 03:02 PM   #3232
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

But why is an innocent man doing any sort of community service?
One of the cooks in the kitchen suggested it so that when the charges are dropped he will have already done his time.
Old 26th March 2019, 03:02 PM   #3233
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I thought you had to be convicted before you could be sentenced to do community service.

This whole thing just stinks on ice.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th March 2019, 03:03 PM   #3234
bytewizard
Master Poster

"Do you believe that he is innocent?" CBS reporter @adrianasdiaz asks First Assistant Cook County State's Attorney Joseph Magats about dropping charges against Jussie Smollett. "I do not believe he is innocent," Magats responds.

More from the asst state's attorney: "Here's the thing -- we work to prioritize violent crime and the drivers of violent crime. Public safety is our number one priority. I don't see Jussie Smollett as a threat to public safety."

How many crimes are on the books where the suspect is not a threat to public safety? I would guess quite a few: A joint in my pocket whilst walking down the street, shoplifting, littering, etc..

Faking a hate crime stirring up racial divide and lying to the cops is not a threat to public safety? Why not eliminate all crimes that are not a threat to public safety!

Hopefully the feds put him through the ringer if in fact he was the one who is responsible for the powdered letter.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 03:06 PM   #3235
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
"Do you believe that he is innocent?" CBS reporter @adrianasdiaz asks First Assistant Cook County State's Attorney Joseph Magats about dropping charges against Jussie Smollett. "I do not believe he is innocent," Magats responds.

More from the asst state's attorney: "Here's the thing -- we work to prioritize violent crime and the drivers of violent crime. Public safety is our number one priority. I don't see Jussie Smollett as a threat to public safety."
How many crimes are on the books where the suspect is not a threat to public safety? I would guess quite a few: A joint in my pocket whilst walking down the street, shoplifting, littering, etc..

Faking a hate crime stirring up racial divide and lying to the cops is not a threat to public safety? Why not eliminate all crimes that are not a threat to public safety!

Hopefully the feds put him through the ringer if in fact he was the one who is responsible for the powdered letter.
What an incredibly pathetic excuse.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th March 2019, 03:07 PM   #3236
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of people in Chicago jails just cocked their heads to the side to see if they actually heard that...

Old 26th March 2019, 03:08 PM   #3237
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yup, Chicago really really needs a 21st century version of Eliot Ness to clean house...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th March 2019, 03:09 PM   #3238
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Does this mean that the US doesn't treat black people negatively?
They are treated very negatively.

Jussie was publicly accused of lying when he was telling the truth. He also had the crap beat out of him by MAGA rednecks.

The Nigerian brothers had their door busted down just for some stamps and a stupid magazine. No, that isn't very positive as far as treating black people goes.

Basically all three of these guys experienced what is known as living while black. It's not a positive thing.
Old 26th March 2019, 03:10 PM   #3239
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
How could this happen? What really happened?

The case is sealed?! Will the public ever see all the evidence, see the facts?

So who, and what, are we to believe, if the underlying facts can never be publicly known?
Don't worry I am sure he will tell his story of discrimination and woe in paid media interviews and a best selling book.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 03:19 PM   #3240
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

White or Black, if you got the dough or political pull, you get "special treatment".

Robert Heinlein.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events