ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 09:13 AM   #3281
wasapi
Philosopher

I wonder what the future holds for Smollett. I believe he will become a footnote of 2019, and will appear in one of those lists of 'whatever happened to so and so?', after other scandals take place, pushing him down the list.

His career? I'm not really seeing him wade thru offers for acting rolls. Hugh Grant and a few others may have been able to come back after scandals, but I doubt Smollett ever will.
Old 27th March 2019, 09:19 AM   #3282
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The brothers testified before the Grand Jury. I don't think that we knew that.
But going all-in to CuckooTown: is there any evidence at all presented that nails Smollett? There is the Osundario's movements via Uber, and video of buying props...and their explanation of what happened.

Is there any hard reason to discount that the Osundarios are not the ones pulling chains here?
Old 27th March 2019, 09:21 AM   #3283
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

CPD: It's a hoax.

GRAND JURY: It's a hoax, sixteen times over.

PROSECUTOR: It's a hoax, but it's not worth prosecuting.

SMOLLETT: See! No hoax!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 09:21 AM   #3284
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Being a narcissistic ******* who staged a hate crime isn't necessarily grounds for lifetime banishment from acting or public life.

Thing is, we assume (perhaps wrongly) that most people are decent until they prove to us otherwise. Smollett proved otherwise and he'll just have to ride out that reputation.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 09:25 AM   #3285
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I wonder what the future holds for Smollett. I believe he will become a footnote of 2019, and will appear in one of those lists of 'whatever happened to so and so?', after other scandals take place, pushing him down the list.

His career? I'm not really seeing him wade thru offers for acting rolls. Hugh Grant and a few others may have been able to come back after scandals, but I doubt Smollett ever will.
I think he'll be fine. I think Fox has too much invested in Empire to write him off. Charges dropped, no trial... If their target demographic is willing to accept this and carry on being his fans and watching the show, it's in Fox's best interest to put this behind them. As long as Smollett does the needful, in terms of private talks with his fellow cast and crew to smooth their ruffled feathers, I don't see why everyone involved in his career won't be happy to carry on pretty much as before.

In a few months, the general public will have largely forgotten about or given up on this issue. A couple more years of Empire, an industry award or two (for the show, if not the actor), and none of this will ever have mattered to Jussie Smollett's career. Mark Wahlberg recovered from worse, after all.

Last edited by theprestige; 27th March 2019 at 09:26 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 09:50 AM   #3286
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Your lack of knowledge and experience in investigations shows.
Investigations are time consuming and there was a huge amount of legwork and evidence chasing involved in this case with a big pressure to get it done fast. The only way to get it done under such political and time pressure was to throw resources at it.
Don't be rude to my wingman.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 09:58 AM   #3287
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
Yeah cause white guys have never been involved in corruption.

Would love to see some stats, pretty sure the pale side would win in a landslide.

I think he was being sarcastic.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:01 AM   #3288
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
I think you may have misread the message behind the sarcasm. The poster in question is openly racist and proud of it.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:31 AM   #3289
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

I can't disagree with this sentiment.

Quote:
White people make false 911 reports against REAL Black people on a daily basis, and never get charged. And the dominant society is silent on this.
Jussie Smollett has his charges dropped, and now these same people who were silent about false reporting, are now having hissy fits
https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/sta...00039682985989
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:49 AM   #3290
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jerrymander View Post
I can't disagree with this sentiment.

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/sta...00039682985989

I can : the two situations differ more than just skin color. Even if you grant (which I do not) that every single one of the '911'd while black' situations which have made the news (BBQs, etc.) are out and out racism, you have a case of a (stipulated) racist trying to involve the police in a situation the racist feels is wrong or illegal, or just wants to bring down some blue hassle.

The Horrifying Attack(tm) in this thread is claimed to be a manufactured event by the purported victim. Allowing that the attack was fake, the person involving the police /knows/ it's fake, /knows/ that he's giving false statements and wasting police time.

Calling the cops and complaining that your neighbor's stereo is too loud just because you don't like his skin color isn't the same thing as calling the cops and saying someone broke into your house and stole your stereo because they didn't like your skin color.

edit to add : this doesn't cover any case where 911 was called about something that didn't happen in any objective sense (i.e. calling 911 and saying 'those darkies next door stole my car' when nothing of the sort happened). I'm not aware of any of those that have made the news recently, but I'd feel the same way about any of those events as I do JS's deal.

Last edited by Joe Random; 27th March 2019 at 10:52 AM.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:54 AM   #3291
Marcus
Illuminator

The world is outraged because a guy was let go after doing disorderly conduct. He paid $10K to walk free after disorderly conduct. That's too much money. Spitting on a retail store window is probably also disorderly conduct.

It's just so petty. Disorderly conduct is simply conducting oneself out of normal order. We've all done that.

What he did needs to be renamed so that outrage is justified. The charge should be renamed to Murder of Righteous Goodness.
The part that bothers me is that he was let off without having to admit to the hoax, that should have been a condition. Now he is gleefully proclaiming to anyone who will listen that he is innocent, and there may even be people who believe him
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:55 AM   #3292
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post

I don't think Smolett is going be flooded with offers from Hollywood any time soon.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:57 AM   #3293
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I see somebody must have died a made a couple of poster where King, since they see themselves are rightful judges of what other people should see, read ,and think to prevent doubleplus ungood crimethink from happening.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:00 AM   #3294
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The part that bothers me is that he was let off without having to admit to the hoax, that should have been a condition.
I don't think that admitting guilt is a condition for the 5,700 other people who got what Jussie got.

Quote:
Now he is gleefully proclaiming to anyone who will listen that he is innocent, and there may even be people who believe him
It has been reported that just last night he had a long hard talk with a pepperoni pizza and that the pizza did nothing but nod.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:14 AM   #3295
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
I can : the two situations differ more than just skin color. Even if you grant (which I do not) that every single one of the '911'd while black' situations which have made the news (BBQs, etc.) are out and out racism, you have a case of a (stipulated) racist trying to involve the police in a situation the racist feels is wrong or illegal, or just wants to bring down some blue hassle.
So they think that a BBQ is illegal? Or walking in front of someone's house?

https://www.vox.com/first-person/201...ng-while-black

Last edited by Jerrymander; 27th March 2019 at 11:22 AM.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:20 AM   #3296
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't think Smolett is going be flooded with offers from Hollywood any time soon.
Why not? You can rape a child in that town and still find work. This is peanuts in comparison, and there's not even a conviction now.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:26 AM   #3297
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The part that bothers me is that he was let off without having to admit to the hoax, that should have been a condition. Now he is gleefully proclaiming to anyone who will listen that he is innocent, and there may even be people who believe him
the question now is then why now go after the brothers, who he stated on GMA, were known to be the perps.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:27 AM   #3298
Whip
Graduate Poster

It has been reported that just last night he had a long hard talk with a pepperoni pizza and that the pizza did nothing but nod.
pizzas tend to be very agreeable
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:28 AM   #3299
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He doesn't need to be flooded with offers right now. As long as his character is still important to Empire, he'll weather this storm and sail through to the eventual flood of offers in a couple years.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:37 AM   #3300
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This is from a week ago...

'Empire' ratings hit series low after Jussie Smollett's arrest

Originally Posted by Business Insider
Audiences don't seem too excited for "Empire" following the Jussie Smollett scandal.

Wednesday's new episode hit a series low with fewer than 4 million viewers, according to Nielsen. The previous lowest-rated "Empire" episode aired on Halloween 2018 and had 4.2 million viewers, according to Variety.

The show's first new episode to air after Smollett's arrest also dropped significantly in ratings last week. The Fox series returned after a winter hiatus a week ago to 4.412 million viewers, according to Nielsen.

That was a drop from the last episode in December before the hiatus, which reeled in 5.043 million viewers (down 13%), but a big drop from last year's comparable premiere, which had 6.2 million viewers (down 35%), according to The Wrap.

Smollett, who has a supporting role on the show as Jamal Lyon, claimed earlier this year that he was the victim of a racist and homophobic assault. But Chicago police said that Smollett staged the attack as a publicity stunt because he was unhappy with his "Empire" salary. Smollett turned himself in to police last month.

Smollett was recently making as much as $125,000, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The show's producers said in a statement following his arrest that Smollett will be written out of the show...
https://www.businessinsider.com/empi...nielsen-2019-3
Old 27th March 2019, 11:43 AM   #3301
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Pretty sure ST doesn't do sarcasm. That sort of duplicitous language is for them colored people.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:57 AM   #3302
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
He doesn't need to be flooded with offers right now. As long as his character is still important to Empire, he'll weather this storm and sail through to the eventual flood of offers in a couple years.
I thought it was cool of the producer of Empire to say publicly that the two bros still had their "extra gig" and that there was no hard feelings.

Of course, if they re-hire Jussie ...?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:57 AM   #3303
Steve
Philosopher

CPD: It's a hoax.

GRAND JURY: It's a hoax, sixteen times over.

PROSECUTOR: It's a hoax, but it's not worth prosecuting.

SMOLLETT: See! No hoax!
All that really needs to said.

(plus he had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage)
Old 27th March 2019, 12:11 PM   #3304
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I thought it was cool of the producer of Empire to say publicly that the two bros still had their "extra gig" and that there was no hard feelings.

Of course, if they re-hire Jussie ...?
Did they actually fire him?

I know they wrote him out of the rest of the season, but that's probably reversible.
Old 27th March 2019, 01:13 PM   #3305
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Jussie Smollett's attorney says they're 'weighing their options' on whether to sue the city of Chicago and its police department after his charges were dropped

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Jussie Smollett's attorney says they are 'weighing their options' on whether or not they will file lawsuits against the city of Chicago or its police department in the wake of the shock decision to drop his charges. Smollett's lawyer Tina Glandian appeared on Good Morning America on Wednesday to plead the star's case a day after prosecutors dropped all charges related to the hoax race attack.

When asked if they were going to sue, Glandian said: 'We're weighing our options now for Jussie.'

'For now, he just wants his career and his life back. He did not ask for any of this. He was the victim of a crime. This has spiraled out of control and become a political incident.' Glandian repeatedly insisted that Smollett was innocent and that prosecutors decided to drop the charges because they couldn't prove he staged the attack on himself.

It comes despite the Assistant State's Attorney Joe Magats saying he didn't believe Smollett was innocent and that he was satisfied with the evidence.

'If they believe the charges, they would never have dismissed the case,' Glandian said. 'This is such a high profile case. Their actions speak louder than words.' She claimed that it was the 'State of Illinois' that launched the 16 charges against Smollett when in fact it was a grand jury that reached the decision - weeks after prosecutors charged Smollett with just one count.

Glandian said that the reason Smollett and Nigerian brothers Abel and Ola Osundairo were exchanging text messages and phone calls in the hours before and after the January 29 incident was because they were due to meet up for personal training but Smollett's flight was delayed - something he documented in Instagram stories....
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ghing-sue.html
Old 27th March 2019, 01:17 PM   #3306
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Being a narcissistic ******* who staged a hate crime isn't necessarily grounds for lifetime banishment from acting or public life.

Thing is, we assume (perhaps wrongly) that most people are decent until they prove to us otherwise. Smollett proved otherwise and he'll just have to ride out that reputation.
I think Smollett is probably a pretty decent guy.

I also think he absolutely created this hoax.
Old 27th March 2019, 01:18 PM   #3307
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The world is outraged because a guy was let go after doing disorderly conduct. He paid $10K to walk free after disorderly conduct. That's too much money. Spitting on a retail store window is probably also disorderly conduct.

It's just so petty. Disorderly conduct is simply conducting oneself out of normal order. We've all done that.

What he did needs to be renamed so that outrage is justified. The charge should be renamed to Murder of Righteous Goodness.
I would say that anyone who has done what he's done has problems.

Even looking back to trying to get his own brother a DUI. Who does that?

These problems are likely to crop up again.
So far he's had little, if any, consequences.

His handlers may have even gotten him out of something else that we don't know about.

I would say that they are likely going to have to get him out of trouble again in the future.

When that trouble comes, it will be blamed on being persecuted for this incident.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 27th March 2019 at 01:22 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 01:19 PM   #3308
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think Smollett is probably a pretty decent guy.
Okay, sure.

Quote:
I also think he absolutely created this hoax.
So much for the "decent guy" theory.
Old 27th March 2019, 01:20 PM   #3309
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

His handlers may have even gotten him out of something else that we don't know about.

I would say that they are likely going to have to get him out of trouble again in the future.

When that trouble comes, it will be blamed on being persecuted for this incident.
Didn't he already have a history of shenanigans? Or at least one other shenanigan?
Old 27th March 2019, 01:24 PM   #3310
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't he already have a history of shenanigans? Or at least one other shenanigan?
Yes, he tried to get his brother in trouble for his own DUI.

I edited my post.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 01:25 PM   #3311
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Even looking back to trying to get his own brother a DUI. Who does that?

So far he's had little, if any, consequences.

I think he has the narcissism disorder.
Old 27th March 2019, 01:33 PM   #3312
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Unreliable sources are saying that Smollett's team wants to sue Chicago PD...

But not the prosecutors, who have apparently agreed with CPD right up until the last moment...

But I think a civil suit would shine too much light, so it won't happen.

But a payoff to Smollett is certainly not out of the question.

Old 27th March 2019, 01:35 PM   #3313
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/03/...still-may-sue/

Quote:
A lawyer for Jussie Smollett on Wednesday left open the possibility that the “Empire” star — who Chicago prosecutors acknowledged had lied about being a hate crime victim — may now sue over the alleged attack.

Tina Glandian appeared on ABC’s “Good Morning America” to address prosecutors’ stunning decision the day before to drop all 16 felony counts against the actor. “We’re weighing our options now,” Glandian said in response to co-host George Stephanopoulos’ question, “Are you going to sue?”

“For Jussie, what’s really important is he really just wants his career and his life back,” the lawyer continued. “Again, he did not ask for any of this, he was a victim of a crime.”

Old 27th March 2019, 01:38 PM   #3314
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Unreliable sources are saying that Smollett's team wants to sue Chicago PD...
It's credibly that they would say that.

Quote:
But I think a civil suit would shine too much light, so it won't happen.
Exactly. Discovery is the last thing he wants.

Quote:
But a payoff to Smollett is certainly not out of the question.
I want to say no way, but this is Chicago, so who the hell knows.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 01:40 PM   #3315
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The hot sauce bottle is the star of the show.

It was found more than 10 days after the fake attack in the middle of the sidewalk right where the fake attack occurred. We now know that the brothers were shown photos of this bottle and said yes that is it. One of them had filled it with bleach and poured it on Smollett as part of the hoax.

A little glass survivor of the harsh winter with rats and maggots. Bless its heart. Worth a thousand dollars now on eBay.
Old 27th March 2019, 01:45 PM   #3316
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Tbf, this seems more like lawyerin' boilerplate - from both sides.
Old 27th March 2019, 01:52 PM   #3317
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There will be a bidding war to get the brothers to tell the whole story. TV shows will want them. Who will pay the most? Daily Mail?

Somebody will pay them $200,000 to hear it all including all the stuff that we never heard that has now been deleted by the prosecutors.
Old 27th March 2019, 01:57 PM   #3318
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The hot sauce bottle is the star of the show.

It was found more than 10 days after the fake attack in the middle of the sidewalk right where the fake attack occurred. We now know that the brothers were shown photos of this bottle and said yes that is it. One of them had filled it with bleach and poured it on Smollett as part of the hoax.

A little glass survivor of the harsh winter with rats and maggots. Bless its heart. Worth a thousand dollars now on eBay.
The police should have found it immediately, as Smollett showed them the exact spot, even pointing out the camera.

It seems unlikely to have been there for 10 days.

Old 27th March 2019, 02:00 PM   #3319
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/03/...-lawyer-quits/

Quote:
Yesterday after the charges against him were dropped, Jussie Smollett immediately spoke to the media saying he had been completely truthful from the start. That seemed to put the ball back in the court of the Osundairo brothers who had claimed Jussie asked them to stage the hate hoax. Today TMZ reports their attorney urged them to speak up but they refused and as a result their attorney quit
I think the brothers possibly got another training payment.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 27th March 2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 27th March 2019, 02:05 PM   #3320
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Those Nigerian brothers are businessmen. It's all about the Benjamins. If they start squawking at a press meeting then they can't sell the story for maximum cash. They don't need a lawyer. They need an agent.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events