ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 02:17 PM   #3321
carlitos
"más divertido"

horrifying attack on Jussie Smollett

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Why not? You can rape a child in that town and still find work. This is peanuts in comparison, and there's not even a conviction now.

As someone who hires Chicago residents, even parolees in work programs, let me just assure you that your hyperbole is unfounded.

ETA — there is a history of actors, musicians and directors who have done this so you do have a point wrt Mr.Smolett. He could act and sing but probably not work at an Amazon fulfillment center.

Last edited by carlitos; 27th March 2019 at 02:19 PM.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 02:25 PM   #3322
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Ziggurat
You can rape a child in that town and still find work.

Originally Posted by carlitos
your hyperbole is unfounded.
Zig might be talking about Roman Polanski in Hollywood.
Old 27th March 2019, 02:40 PM   #3323
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Unreliable sources are saying that Smollett's team wants to sue Chicago PD...

But not the prosecutors, who have apparently agreed with CPD right up until the last moment...

But I think a civil suit would shine too much light, so it won't happen.

But a payoff to Smollett is certainly not out of the question.
I think the thing that Smollett has the best case to sue over is the leaking of case information which came from the CPD, not the prosecutor's office. That might be why the rumor has him suing the former but not the latter.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 03:01 PM   #3324
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think Smollett is probably a pretty decent guy.

I also think he absolutely created this hoax.
Are you kidding?

This dude is a shallow turd at best.

“"I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of one drop of what I've been accused of.”

Yeah, he really said that.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 03:13 PM   #3325
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I would say that anyone who has done what he's done has problems.

Even looking back to trying to get his own brother a DUI. Who does that?

He definitely isn't his brother's keeper.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 03:54 PM   #3326
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
As someone who hires Chicago residents, even parolees in work programs, let me just assure you that your hyperbole is unfounded.

ETA — there is a history of actors, musicians and directors who have done this so you do have a point wrt Mr.Smolett. He could act and sing but probably not work at an Amazon fulfillment center.
I was under the impression he was talking about Hollywood
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 04:05 PM   #3327
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Those Nigerian brothers are businessmen. It's all about the Benjamins. If they start squawking at a press meeting then they can't sell the story for maximum cash. They don't need a lawyer. They need an agent.
But they got beaten up by Jussie Smollett...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 05:56 PM   #3328
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Yes, he tried to get his brother in trouble for his own DUI.

I edited my post.
Is that what his mother’s son would have done.
eeyore1954 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 08:15 PM   #3329
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
CHICAGO (CBS)– CBS 2 has obtained an internal email from the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office regarding a search for felony cases dropped under similar circumstances to the Jussie Smollett case.

“We are looking for examples of cases, felony preferable, where we, in excersing [sic] our discretion, have entered into verbal agreements with defense attorneys to dismiss charges against an offender if certain conditions were met, such as the payment of restitution, completion of community service, completion of class, etc., but the defendant was not placed in a formal diversion program,” the email states.

Quote:
The internal email makes clear the State’s Attorney’s office was seeking to find comparable felony cases in which they dropped charges under similar conditions to the Smollett case.

“Please ask your ASAs if they have examples of these types of dispositions and we will work with them further to figure out on what case it was done. Nobody is in trouble, we are just looking for further examples of how we, as prosecutors, use our discretion in a way that restores the victim, but causes minimal harm to the defendant in the long term,” the internal email stated.

CBS 2 Legal Analyst Irv Miller does not believe similar cases to that of Smollett will be found.

“They may find some cases that are similar that may match the issues here, but the vast majority of cases would never ever be handled in this manner,” Miller said. “Let’s say you have a drug case and you get picked up with some cocaine, you go to drug school and we’ll drop the case. There’s probably 10,000 of those, but no similar cases that match this scenario.”
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03...-kim-foxx/amp/

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 27th March 2019 at 08:17 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 08:34 PM   #3330
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

“That town” refers to Hollywood, not Chicago. See the post I responded to. And sadly, it’s not hyperbole, it’s the literal truth.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 08:42 PM   #3331
mgidm86
Philosopher

Admitting to guilt is normally a key part of it.

An innocent man does not give up $10,000 in bond, and an innocent man does not do "community service". Who ordered him to do it? Nobody.

I have a feeling he did some volunteer work unrelated to the case and somehow got that tacked on as "community service".

What other explanation is there? Look at the desperation in Foxx's emails. This is disgraceful.

$10,000 does not even approach covering the 26 detectives assigned to the case. That'd be maybe 3-4 hours salary.

This is not how you smooth out a problem. I guess Chicago does have some serious internal issues. What a joke.

Quote:
we are just looking for further examples of how we, as prosecutors, use our discretion in a way that restores the victim, but causes minimal harm to the defendant in the long term,” the internal email stated.
"Restores the victim"? Unbelievably unbelievable.

Last edited by mgidm86; 27th March 2019 at 08:43 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 03:22 AM   #3332
Senex
Philosopher

Chicago was better off when Mayor Daley was still running the show. Ethics have plummeted.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 05:07 AM   #3333
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Admitting to guilt is normally a key part of it.

An innocent man does not give up $10,000 in bond, and an innocent man does not do "community service". Who ordered him to do it? Nobody.
That's the sticking point for me too. It's not the severity punishment that is the problem here, it's that the case was sealed and Smollett is walking around still professing his innocence.

If the DA says that it's a small potatoes crime and the punishment should be light for a first time offender, I am open to accepting that. Or if they found that the evidence was not strong enough to proceed and dismissed the charges, then fine. But I can't accept this "Schrodinger's guilty plea" that requires him to pay a fine while allowing him to proclaim his innocence. It's pure nonsense.
Old 28th March 2019, 05:25 AM   #3334
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 05:34 AM   #3335
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!
Great... At least another six months of this ****.

And I thought it was pretty much over.
Old 28th March 2019, 05:36 AM   #3336
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Can the FBI or DOJ "re-arrest" him for lying to the Chicago police? What could the future hold if those agencies decide that turning him loose was improper?
Old 28th March 2019, 06:26 AM   #3337
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Let the crazy fun begin...

'They could have worn white face': Jussie Smollett's lawyer offers bizarre explanation as to why the Empire actor told police his Nigerian assailants were white - and points to old video of one of them wearing make-up to play the Joker as potential proof

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Jussie Smollett's lawyer has finally offered an explanation for why he told police he thought his Nigerian attackers were white: they could have been wearing make-up.

In an interview on Today, Tina Glandian claimed that Smollett did not recognize the Abel and Ola Osundairo when they attacked him on January 29 and that it still has not been proven that it was them, despite the fact that Smollett identified a photograph of the pair as his attackers before he was ever arrested and even though they had just been on the phone with him.

When he learned it was them once they were in custody, Glandian said, Smollett 'found it hard to believe' because he had told that he could make out one had 'pale or white skin' around his eyes beneath the ski mask he was wearing.

It was not a lie, she insisted, adding that the reason for it could have been that the brothers were in 'disguise'.

'He did tell police that from what he saw, he thought it was white or pale skin, that's what he initially said.

'Obviously, you can disguise that. You can put make-up on,' she said.

She went on to point to a 2016 YouTube video of Abel Osundairo, the brother in question, where he is wearing white make-up to perform a Joker monologue as potential proof of her theory.

'There's a video, it took me all of five minutes when I was looking into the brothers, to of one of the brothers in whiteface doing the Joker monologue,' she said...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-make-up.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $.jpg (13.7 KB, 170 views)
Old 28th March 2019, 06:30 AM   #3338
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The problem with that theory (fever dream) is that white people aren't white. If you put on whiteface you won't look like a white person. You will look Kabuki or the Joker.
Old 28th March 2019, 06:34 AM   #3339
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
The problem with that theory (fever dream) is that white people aren't white. If you put on whiteface you won't look like a white person. You will look Kabuki or the Joker.
Noh. Just Noh.
Old 28th March 2019, 06:37 AM   #3340
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

His lawyer doesn't need to make sense. She only needs to make sentences.
Old 28th March 2019, 06:38 AM   #3341
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

If she's a good defense lawyer she avoids sentences.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 07:01 AM   #3342
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I have to say that the entertainment value of this case is increasing.

I'm starting to hope it will run longer than Empire.
Old 28th March 2019, 07:02 AM   #3343
ahhell
Master Poster

How about this theory?

They attacked him for some reason that was really embarrassing? IDK, he didn't pay them what he promised for training or something and concocted the hate crime story to hide what ever he was embarrassed by?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 07:25 AM   #3344
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
“That town” refers to Hollywood, not Chicago. See the post I responded to. And sadly, it’s not hyperbole, it’s the literal truth.
Yeah, see my ETA. My misreading was confounded by so many posts referring to Chicago corruption in this thread. My mistake, sorry. Although, just as an example, Kevin Spacey doesn't seem to be employable just now.

Last edited by carlitos; 28th March 2019 at 07:27 AM.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 07:28 AM   #3345
Thermal
Philosopher

You could plausibly use white boy skin coloring, not white corpse white and make it happen.

That musculature of the guy in the Joker makeup does not seem consistent with the other pics released. Scrawny vs heavily muscled boxer build.
Old 28th March 2019, 07:33 AM   #3346
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Noh. Just Noh.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 07:33 AM   #3347
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
How about this theory?

They attacked him for some reason that was really embarrassing? IDK, he didn't pay them what he promised for training or something and concocted the hate crime story to hide what ever he was embarrassed by?
That's my #2 theory, a shakedown with this whacky contingency Plan B as a cover.

#1 is still Smollett was directing a BS anecdotal war story to show how tough he was, not intending for police to be involved.

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Noh. Just Noh.
Old 28th March 2019, 07:34 AM   #3348
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
That musculature of the guy in the Joker makeup does not seem consistent with the other pics released. Scrawny vs heavily muscled boxer build.
I think she found a video of one of the brothers from before he began pumping iron. Back when Batman: The Dark Knight was a new thing.

Would you be willing to accept that?
Old 28th March 2019, 07:39 AM   #3349
Thermal
Philosopher

I think she found a video of one of the brothers from before he began pumping iron. Back when Batman: The Dark Knight was a new thing.

Would you be willing to accept that?
Not much would be unacceptable in this puppy.

The vid was from 2016. So we are only talking a couple years, even assuming he started a heavy roid regimen immediately after washing off the makeup to whenever the buff pics were taken (presumably sooner than when the horrifying attack occurred). No reason to absolutely disbelieve, I suppose.
Old 28th March 2019, 07:51 AM   #3350
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The vid was from 2016.
Shot in 2016, or posted on YouTube in 2016?
Old 28th March 2019, 07:53 AM   #3351
Thermal
Philosopher

Shot in 2016, or posted on YouTube in 2016?
Per your DM link, just says 'from 2016'. I searched a very little and didn't identify it further.

eta: seems odd to hold on to a cheezy makeup video for years before posting it, but again, I think we have to suspend our standards for what would normally be considered reasonable here

Last edited by Thermal; 28th March 2019 at 07:59 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 08:03 AM   #3352
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
How about this theory?

A big guy, let alone 2 attack you, and they don't beat you up, just scratch your face with a fingernail.

That would require an explination.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 08:09 AM   #3353
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
A big guy, let alone 2 attack you, and they don't beat you up, just scratch your face with a fingernail.

That would require an explination.
These guys? Come on, I could take them one-handed while holding a subway sammich.

Old 28th March 2019, 08:11 AM   #3354
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

New headline from Chicago Tribune...

Mayor Rahm Emanuel says city will try to recoup costs from Jussie Smollett, calls on President Trump to 'sit this one out'
Old 28th March 2019, 08:15 AM   #3355
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Per your DM link, just says 'from 2016'. I searched a very little and didn't identify it further.

eta: seems odd to hold on to a cheezy makeup video for years before posting it, but again, I think we have to suspend our standards for what would normally be considered reasonable here
This here is a kid. So, if this actually is one of the brothers then it's not from a 2016 video. The Dark Knight is circa 2008.

Old 28th March 2019, 08:20 AM   #3356
sadhatter
Philosopher

These guys? Come on, I could take them one-handed while holding a subway sammich.

https://i.imgur.com/qwC7v6a.jpg
My bad, you are right.

For myself I actually just forgot I was bi, which obviously would give me enough righteous fury to fight both of them off , while keeping my sandwich intact.

Or because I'm not gay, maybe I could only take 1. Regardless I admit wrong, these guys are chumps.

On a serious note, fighting 2 massive guys while keeping your food intact is literally something I've seen in anime. And on a more serious note, if the brothers happen to be reading this , I want to make it clear I was joking. If I had enough arms to wield every weapon I own, and a week to prepare for their arrival I think maybe I'd have a chance of calling 911 before they completely destroyed me, with 1 punch, that they pulled, while wearing large soft gloves.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 08:48 AM   #3357
Thermal
Philosopher

This here is a kid. So, if this actually is one of the brothers then it's not from a 2016 video. The Dark Knight is circa 2008.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...9&d=1553779549
Yeah, that's the point. She claimed that it is from a 2016 video, when it likely is not. Kind of like me uploading my birth video and claiming it is from 2019, when it is really decades older. Shows deceptiveness on her part, and desperation to concoct absurd proofs. Not exactly the hallmark of the innocent.
Old 28th March 2019, 08:56 AM   #3358
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This past hour...

Originally Posted by Rob Elgas via Twitter
ALERT: Court hearing underway right now in Chicago as members of the media fight expungement and sealing of Jussie Smollett case files.

Assistant State’s Attorney says office has no problem turning over a petition for expungement to media but object to a court order to do so. Basically saying office would voluntarily notify press of plans to expunge.

Our reporters in court say this has been a sometimes heated and intense discussion on rule of law. No cameras allowed unfortunately.
https://twitter.com/RobElgasABC7/sta...76129384624128
Old 28th March 2019, 09:39 AM   #3359
sadhatter
Philosopher

My problem is, on the 0.00000001 %chance he is telling the truth, it seems kinda important to name names on the incredibly corrupt cops that orchestrated what would be a worse hate crime than he is accused of.

And in the real world, I'd like to know how he got away with this ****.
Old 28th March 2019, 10:17 AM   #3360
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

But what about Federal charges? CPD or city prosecutors/prosecution have no bearing on the mail fraud, terrorism of mailing white powder, conspiracy, etc.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events