ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 10:50 AM   #3361
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't count on the FBI for much. They seem to be influenced by politics quite often.

I'll be surprised if we even hear about the letter again.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 11:11 AM   #3362
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Now they tell us: Kim Foxx didn’t recuse herself from the Smollett case, office acknowledges

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/03/...-acknowledges/
Quote:
“The State’s Attorney did not formally recuse herself or the Office based on any actual conflict of interest,” her spokeswoman, Tandra R. Simonton, said Wednesday in an email response to my questions. “As a result, she did not have to seek the appointment of a special prosecutor under (state law).”

Instead, she put her first assistant, Joe Magats, out front to take the beating that would come.

“Although we use the term ‘recuse’ as it relates to State’s Attorney Foxx’s involvement in the matter, it was a colloquial use of the term rather in its legal sense,” Foxx’s office said.
Foxx was on the case all along.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 11:17 AM   #3363
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

As a refresher:

“I know members of the Smollett family based on prior work together,” Tchen said in a statement. “Shortly after Mr. Smollett reported he was attacked, as a family friend, I contacted Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, who I also know from prior work together. My sole activity was to put the chief prosecutor in the case in touch with an alleged victim’s family who had concerns about how the investigation was being characterized in public.”

Foxx said she recused herself from the investigation because of her contacts with Tchen and the Smollett family member. The prosecutor wrote to Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson after the contacts to convey that the family wanted the FBI to take over the investigation, according to copies of emails and text released by the State’s Attorney’s Office.

Old 28th March 2019, 11:20 AM   #3364
carlitos
"más divertido"

Lawyers at 26th and California should be having a field day with "colloquial, rather than legal" today. My client was guilty of theft/speeding/whatever in the colloquial sense, not the legal sense, your honor.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 01:39 PM   #3365
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Thank you, Donald Trump...

Originally Posted by Deadline
Calling Chicago a “Trump-Free Zone,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel said that the president created the very environment – “toxic” and “hate-filled” – that allowed Smollett to think he could get away with staging a hate crime.
https://deadline.com/2019/03/rahm-em...le-1202584616/
Old 28th March 2019, 01:50 PM   #3366
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Fox News
The city of Chicago delivered a letter to Jussie Smollett's legal team seeking $130,000 from the actor, a spokesperson for the city law department revealed to Fox News on Thursday...

"It is the Mayor and the Police Chief who owe Jussie - owe him an apology - for dragging an innocent man’s character through the mud. Jussie has paid enough," said his bunghole which had previously not uttered anything other than occasional flatulatory sound waves...
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...as-paid-enough

I told you right here that it was a hoax and I did it for free. Chicago wants way too much money. Hell, anybody could have solved this for just a beer or two.
Old 28th March 2019, 02:49 PM   #3367
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If I was Jussie I would respond to the letter requesting $130,000 with some words about the hot sauce bottle laying on the sidewalk 10 days after it was used to chemically annihilate both my soul and my clothing. I would decorate my own letter with LOLs and ROFLs and Laughing Dogs. Then I would grind up an aspirin tablet...
Old 28th March 2019, 03:03 PM   #3368
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
What about federal prosecution?

The state might have come up with a slap on the wrist knowing the feds have a case- with possible greater punishment when found guilty. Hence the "deferred prosecution"- it means they "defferred" to the Feds. Fed case comes first. But my comprehension of the English Language is not the same as a lawyers.
Don't think there is a federal crime to be investigated, beyond what they are already doing re - the letter.

Most of the times when the feds go after someone, it's for a civil rights violation. There is no way he could violate his own civil rights.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 03:16 PM   #3369
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's reported that when the letter arrived at the studio addressed to him he went and got rubber gloves for his boss and himself for the opening of the letter. "Mercy me! It's a good thing that I decided we should wear gloves. Ponder that yonder powder amongst us!"
Old 28th March 2019, 03:26 PM   #3370
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Don't think there is a federal crime to be investigated, beyond what they are already doing re - the letter.

Most of the times when the feds go after someone, it's for a civil rights violation. There is no way he could violate his own civil rights.
The letter is adequate. It's terrorism, the Feds do go after that. And if Jussie used somebody else to mail it, there is conspiracy. I think upthread somebody had about 4 federal crimes.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 03:26 PM   #3371
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If I was Jussie I would respond to the letter requesting $130,000 with some words about the hot sauce bottle laying on the sidewalk 10 days after it was used to chemically annihilate both my soul and my clothing. I would decorate my own letter with LOLs and ROFLs and Laughing Dogs. Then I would grind up an aspirin tablet...

Just a letter ...?

Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 03:35 PM   #3372
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Only guilty people get billed for police costs, and usually only as part of a sentence or settlement. And it is common for civil settlements to be sealed, NOT criminal. His lawyers plea bargained. Spelled G-U-I-L-T-Y.

I eagerly await news from the Feds.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 03:51 PM   #3373
bytewizard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Deadline
Calling Chicago a “Trump-Free Zone,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel said that the president created the very environment – “toxic” and “hate-filled” – that allowed Smollett to think he could get away with staging a hate crime.

And all this time I thought Chicago was "MAGA Country". Rahm's statement uses more twisted logic than I thought possible. Smollet's self staged hate crime isn't because of toxic and hate-filled rhetoric; it's psychopathic and delusional. I know, that's Trump's fault too.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 04:10 PM   #3374
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I was almost fooled into thinking Rahm Emmanuel had a decent, non corrupt bone in his body. Then I realized that Chicago's top political grifter is just mad because he got out-grifted by a TV star.

Also how about that Tina Tchen? People complain when I say all politicians are corrupt, but what do you think Obama hired her for?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 08:10 PM   #3375
mgidm86
Philosopher

Jussie Smollett's "community service" was for Jesse Jackson's Rainbow PUSH Coalition and was not court ordered.

Read the letters here:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...htmlstory.html

So his lawyer gets him to do two whole days of work for Jackson on March 23 and 25, presents this to the court with the $10,000 bond idea, and he walks.

Quote:
"Mr. Smollett is one of the most impactful community service volunteers we have ever worked with"
He also got the Black AIDS Institute to write a nice letter too. Not regular AIDS, no, the black version.

His peeps, the good Reverend Jackson, the Obamas and Tchen, Foxx, the Black Aids people all pulled strings for this jerkoff.

This story just gets better every day.
Old 28th March 2019, 08:23 PM   #3376
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Pay us or we are coming for you...

Originally Posted by CBS News
...The letter claims the the "Chicago police investigation revealed that you knowingly filed a false police report and had in fact orchestrated your own attack," and requests from Smollett an "immediate payment of the $130,160.15 expended on overtime hours in the investigation of this matter," to be paid within seven days.

The letter was sent to Smollet's attorney Patricia Brown Holmes' office in downtown Chicago.

If Smollett fails to pay the City of Chicago Corporate Counsel, the letter states he faces prosecution by the Department of Law and a fine of no less than $500 and a maximum of $1,000, "plus up to three times the amount of damages the city sustains as a result of the violation."...
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie-...tes-2019-03-28

I suspect that they will rapidly prosecute him if he doesn't pay in a week. He won't be given any extra time or leeway.
Old 28th March 2019, 08:32 PM   #3377
Thermal
Philosopher

Pay us or we are coming for you...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie-...tes-2019-03-28

I suspect that they will rapidly prosecute him if he doesn't pay in a week. He won't be given any extra time or leeway.
Guess he can abandon any pretense of the dropped charges being a vindication.

It's all so horrifying.
Old 28th March 2019, 08:59 PM   #3378
Elagabalus
Illuminator

"....a fine of no less than $500 and a maximum of $1,000"

Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 09:44 PM   #3379
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
"....a fine of no less than $500 and a maximum of $1,000"

...plus up to three times the buck-thirty? Blowing well past the quarter mil mark.

Now that **** is horrifying.
Old 29th March 2019, 01:11 AM   #3380
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

we've reached the point where Donald Trump is responsible for not only every racist attack in the nation but also for people faking racist attacks.

Thanks, Obama.
Old 29th March 2019, 05:48 AM   #3381
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
we've reached the point where Donald Trump is responsible for not only every racist attack in the nation but also for people faking racist attacks.

Thanks, Obama.
He is also responsible for the media continuing the Fine People Hoax, which Rahm Emannuel referenced in his statement.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 07:45 AM   #3382
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
He is also responsible for the media continuing the Fine People Hoax, which Rahm Emannuel referenced in his statement.
No he is not.

I hate the man but this trend of blaming him for everything is just us on the left not wanting to admit we ****** up, have been acting like ******** for a decade and now a lot of people hate us, but can't speak up, because of what we are doing to discourse, so they talk with their votes.

We created this environment, where being a victim is so valued powerful people want a bigger piece of the victim pie.

I've been saying this for a while, maybe eventually someone will listen.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 08:40 AM   #3383
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Illinois Prosecutors Bar Association condemn's the Foxx's handling of the case:
The manner in which this case was dismissed was abnormal and unfamiliar to those who practice law in criminal courthouses across the State. Prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges alike do not recognize the arrangement Mr. Smollett received. Even more problematic, the State’s Attorney and her representatives have fundamentally misled the public on the law and circumstances surrounding the dismissal...

When an elected State’s Attorney recuses herself from a prosecution, Illinois law provides that the court shall appoint a special prosecutor. See 55 ILCS 5/3-9008(a-15).... Here, the State’s Attorney kept the case within her office and thus never actually recused herself as a matter of law.

Additionally, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office falsely informed the public that the uncontested sealing of the criminal court case was “mandatory” under Illinois law...

The appearance of impropriety here is compounded by the fact that this case was not on the regularly scheduled court call....

Lastly, the State’s Attorney has claimed this arrangement is “available to all defendants” and “not a new or unusual practice.”... Central to any diversion program, however, is that the defendant must accept responsibility....

http://www.ilpba.org/announcements/7249825
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 08:49 AM   #3384
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
No he is not.

I hate the man but this trend of blaming him for everything is just us on the left not wanting to admit we ****** up, have been acting like ******** for a decade and now a lot of people hate us, but can't speak up, because of what we are doing to discourse, so they talk with their votes.

We created this environment, where being a victim is so valued powerful people want a bigger piece of the victim pie.

I've been saying this for a while, maybe eventually someone will listen.
I was joking, it's no one's fault that the media continue the Fine People Hoax.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 08:54 AM   #3385
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The manner in which this case was dismissed was abnormal and unfamiliar to those who practice law in criminal courthouses across the State. Prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges alike do not recognize the arrangement Mr. Smollett received. Even more problematic, the State’s Attorney and her representatives have fundamentally misled the public on the law and circumstances surrounding the dismissal...

When an elected State’s Attorney recuses herself from a prosecution, Illinois law provides that the court shall appoint a special prosecutor. See 55 ILCS 5/3-9008(a-15).... Here, the State’s Attorney kept the case within her office and thus never actually recused herself as a matter of law.

Additionally, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office falsely informed the public that the uncontested sealing of the criminal court case was “mandatory” under Illinois law...

The appearance of impropriety here is compounded by the fact that this case was not on the regularly scheduled court call....

Lastly, the State’s Attorney has claimed this arrangement is “available to all defendants” and “not a new or unusual practice.”... Central to any diversion program, however, is that the defendant must accept responsibility....

This won't be good.
Whoever ordered this dismissal is probably going to get in trouble. Especially if it referenced a payout, or a promise.
Old 29th March 2019, 09:20 AM   #3386
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Jussie has a friend, yeah
I know he's got a very high-powered friend ...
Old 29th March 2019, 09:28 AM   #3387
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Brazilian jurisprudence has a concept of a "plea deal", but it's different from the US concept. For one thing, it's not a plea deal, it's a sentencing deal.

In the US, you make a deal with the prosecutor. You both pretend that you're guilty of a lesser crime. This saves the prosecutor the trouble of trying to nail you for the greater crime, and it saves you the risk of a heavier sentence for the greater crime.

In Brazil, you make a deal with the judge. You both agree that you're guilty of the crime you're actually indicted for. And you both agree that in exchange for your cooperation and your clear admission of guilt, you have earned a more lenient sentence.

This sentencing deal is useful in conspiracy cases, where one conspirator can get leniency in sentencing by admitting to his part in the conspiracy and giving the prosecutor actionable intelligence about his co-conspirators.

As a result of this, it's possible for five out of six conspirators to get lighter sentences by ratting out the sixth guy before he has a chance to do the same. But it's not possible for them to pretend they didn't commit the crimes.

To me, the Brazilian system seems to be both much more just, and also much more merciful, than the American system. But even the American system of plea bargaining is still much more just than the travesty on display in Illinois right now.
Old 29th March 2019, 09:52 AM   #3388
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Foxx is getting panicky...

Quote:
Craig Wall ABC 7

@craigrwall
BREAKING: State’s Atrorney Kim Foxx says her office did not ask that the court file be sealed, says it was done inadvertently and she believes it is in the process of being unsealed ⁦@ABC7Chicago⁩

4:09 PM - Mar 27, 2019

Old 29th March 2019, 10:20 AM   #3389
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I know corruption is common in Chicago, but did they really think they could make such a public case just disappear?

I would bet that they could have weathered the PR storm had they given Smollett a slap on the wrist, but releasing him with no admittance of guilt was just too far. Letting a hoaxster walk free, still proclaiming his hoax, with a sealed record was just too outrageous.
Old 29th March 2019, 10:23 AM   #3390
pharphis
Master Poster

Does this mean we will get "cameras in the court room" after all?
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 10:43 AM   #3391
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I would bet that they could have weathered the PR storm had they given Smollett a slap on the wrist
I think the State Attorney's mistake was letting herself get bullied into prioritizing Smollett's PR situation over her own office's PR situation.

In her scrabble to stop Smollett from emptying his magazine into his foot, Foxx fired an RPG right into her own face.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:03 AM   #3392
applecorped
Suspended

Lightbulb

Jussie Smollett is nominated for an NAACP Award, and host Anthony Anderson hopes he wins
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 11:16 AM   #3393
Stankeye
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Jussie Smollett is nominated for an NAACP Award, and host Anthony Anderson hopes he wins
We all hope he wins. The acceptance speech will be priceless.
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 11:44 AM   #3394
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I hear the SPLC is in the market for a new director.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:44 AM   #3395
bytewizard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
He'll win if NAACP stands for National Association for the Advancement of Connected Perps.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 11:52 AM   #3396
Ernie M
Muse

The Illinois Prosecutors Bar Association (IPBA) Statement on Jussie Smollett Case Dismissal paints a damning picture of the State's Attorney, and the Cook County State's Attorney's office.

But there is also a judge(s?) involved with this situation. IPBA's statement doesn't mention any judge or what role a judge played in this case.

I wish there was a similar-type statement, illustrating what a judge(s?) responsibilities are, and what the judge(s) did, or did not do.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.

Last edited by Ernie M; 29th March 2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added an apostrophe. Deleted a sentence. Deleted an apostrophe.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 11:56 AM   #3397
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

[misclick]
Old 29th March 2019, 11:56 AM   #3398
sadhatter
Philosopher

I hear the SPLC is in the market for a new director.
I think the SCP foundation would be a better option.

Scp-11793
Class safe
Worlds luckiest actor

Properties- near complete immunity to consequences of any action resultant of own stupidity or greed

Mild memetic effects: suspension of disbelief in obvious lies, this affects between %1-0.5 of the population.

Ability to make people prioritize his wellbeing over their own ( foundation note: this seems to be directly proportional to said persons level of influence)

*suspected* mild specific chronomantic ability. It has been theorized by foundation scientists that scp 11793 has reversed opinions and progress toward racial and homosexual equality by aproximately 20 to 30 years. This effect seems to be stronger in areas with higher knowledge of scp 11793.

(And exactly 2 people laugh. Sorry if you didn't get the joke, but I had to do something to lighten my mood about this)
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 12:03 PM   #3399
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I think the SCP foundation would be a better option.

Scp-11793
Class safe
Worlds luckiest actor

Properties- near complete immunity to consequences of any action resultant of own stupidity or greed

Mild memetic effects: suspension of disbelief in obvious lies, this affects between %1-0.5 of the population.

Ability to make people prioritize his wellbeing over their own ( foundation note: this seems to be directly proportional to said persons level of influence)

*suspected* mild specific chronomantic ability. It has been theorized by foundation scientists that scp 11793 has reversed opinions and progress toward racial and homosexual equality by aproximately 20 to 30 years. This effect seems to be stronger in areas with higher knowledge of scp 11793.

(And exactly 2 people laugh. Sorry if you didn't get the joke, but I had to do something to lighten my mood about this)
I feel like the SCP thing is generally more interesting in principle than in actuality, but I did have a sensible chuckle over your use of it here. Thanks!
Old 29th March 2019, 01:15 PM   #3400
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Possibility that Obama was involved?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events