ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 01:27 PM   #3401
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Possibility that Obama was involved?
Barack or Michelle?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 01:37 PM   #3402
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Barack or Michelle?
I thought one of those Nigerians looked familiar . . .

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 01:46 PM   #3403
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
See ya in Hell, ducky
Old 29th March 2019, 01:47 PM   #3404
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Jussie Smollett is nominated for an NAACP Award, and host Anthony Anderson hopes he wins
Seth MacFarlane, if you're reading this; You can parody this by having Bernie Madoff receive an award in from AIPAC in Family Guy.

If you use this idea, I want royalties.
Old 29th March 2019, 01:48 PM   #3405
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Heh.

More seriously, I think the Obamas are probably just grateful they didn't come out publicly in favor of Smollett that first week or so.

That said, I'm now mildly curious as to what other phone calls Tina Tchen was making, while working as a fixer for Barack Obama, and what his involvement in those calls was.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 01:49 PM   #3406
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
The Illinois Prosecutors Bar Association (IPBA) Statement on Jussie Smollett Case Dismissal paints a damning picture of the State's Attorney, and the [hilite]Cook[/hilte] County State's Attorney's office.

But there is also a judge(s?) involved with this situation. IPBA's statement doesn't mention any judge or what role a judge played in this case.

I wish there was a similar-type statement, illustrating what a judge(s?) responsibilities are, and what the judge(s) did, or did not do.
Missing an r.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 01:50 PM   #3407
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Seth MacFarlane, if you're reading this; You can parody this by having Bernie Madoff receive an award in from AIPAC in Family Guy.

If you use this idea, I want royalties.
"Before you make this joke, be sure to change the race and the faction involved. Can't lampoon a black guy being a jackass. Better make it a joke about white folks and Jews!"

Better idea: Parody this by having OJ Simpson receive an award from the NAACP. But if you use the idea, please leave my name out of it.
Old 29th March 2019, 01:54 PM   #3408
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I think the State Attorney's mistake was letting herself get bullied into prioritizing Smollett's PR situation over her own office's PR situation.

In her scrabble to stop Smollett from emptying his magazine into his foot, Foxx fired an RPG right into her own face.
Can somebody explain to clueless Eurotrash (me) what could motivate a prosecutor to do this?

As I understand it, having a high-profile perp is great for your career.

Foxx is also the prosecutor going after R Kelly.

Is this some kind of liberal incrowd thing, or people from the same ethnic group being clannish, or friends in high places thing?
Old 29th March 2019, 01:58 PM   #3409
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
See ya in Hell, ducky
As we bob down the river Styx . . .

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 02:04 PM   #3410
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I think the SCP foundation would be a better option.

Scp-11793

Class safe

Worlds luckiest actor

Properties- near complete immunity to consequences of any action resultant of own stupidity or greed

Mild memetic effects: suspension of disbelief in obvious lies, this affects between %1-0.5 of the population.

Ability to make people prioritize his wellbeing over their own ( foundation note: this seems to be directly proportional to said persons level of influence)

*suspected* mild specific chronomantic ability. It has been theorized by foundation scientists that scp 11793 has reversed opinions and progress toward racial and homosexual equality by aproximately 20 to 30 years. This effect seems to be stronger in areas with higher knowledge of scp 11793.

(And exactly 2 people laugh. Sorry if you didn't get the joke, but I had to do something to lighten my mood about this)
You missed the bonus surreal incomptetence field: Passive ability.
Any "cunning plan" hatched by the subject will have a high chance of blundering and madcap comic level transparent failure. Anyone assisting the subject in any capacity can also fall subject to this effect regardless of race, rank, type, and character level. The chance of it affecting others in his group is influenced by the characters "privilege" level. Requires high ego, low empathy stats.

Last edited by Hungry81; 29th March 2019 at 02:06 PM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 02:10 PM   #3411
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

"Before you make this joke, be sure to change the race and the faction involved. Can't lampoon a black guy being a jackass. Better make it a joke about white folks and Jews!"

Better idea: Parody this by having OJ Simpson receive an award from the NAACP. But if you use the idea, please leave my name out of it.
Now that you mention it, they could have OJ give him the award. Tell me that wouldn't get a shedload of viewers.
Old 29th March 2019, 02:20 PM   #3412
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

What's taking the FBI so long to figure out that an amateur chump faked up this poisoned hate letter?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 03:24 PM   #3413
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Can somebody explain to clueless Eurotrash (me) what could motivate a prosecutor to do this?

As I understand it, having a high-profile perp is great for your career.

Foxx is also the prosecutor going after R Kelly.

Is this some kind of liberal incrowd thing, or people from the same ethnic group being clannish, or friends in high places thing?
Mostly the bolded. If only you clueless Eurotrash (Eddie Dane's words zooterkin, kmortists) knew.

Also George Soros paid her $400,000 or something. Haven't really looked into it but this third world style corruption doesn't surprise me.

Last edited by Baylor; 29th March 2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: bold
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 03:35 PM   #3414
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I know corruption is common in Chicago, but did they really think they could make such a public case just disappear?

I would bet that they could have weathered the PR storm had they given Smollett a slap on the wrist, but releasing him with no admittance of guilt was just too far. Letting a hoaxster walk free, still proclaiming his hoax, with a sealed record was just too outrageous.
Hopefully it is too outrageous. Escaping punishment is one thing, being allowed to perpetuate your hoax is another.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 07:07 AM   #3415
The Big Dog

I have never seen Chicago so united in criticizing an idiotic political decision.

Kimm Foxx is and always was wildly unqualified for the role of State's Attorney.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 07:10 AM   #3416
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm curious as to why they chose that specific amount -- $130,000.

We all know that amount has some significance in another salacious legal case.
Old 30th March 2019, 07:15 AM   #3417
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

you forgot the $.15
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 07:18 AM   #3418
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's probably white supremacist code for "we're corrupt racists or something".
Old 30th March 2019, 09:43 AM   #3419
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I just find it odd because it's the same amount paid as hush money to Stormy Daniels.
Old 30th March 2019, 09:43 AM   #3420
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Kim Foxx has this to say...

Originally Posted by Kim Foxx via Chicago Tribune
So, why isn’t Smollett in prison or at least on trial? There are two different answers to this, both equally important.

First, the law. There were specific aspects of the evidence and testimony presented to the office that would have made securing a conviction against Smollett uncertain. In determining whether or not to pursue charges, prosecutors are required to balance the severity of the crime against the likelihood of securing a conviction. For a variety of reasons, including public statements made about the evidence in this case, my office believed the likelihood of securing a conviction was not certain.

In the interest of full transparency, I would prefer these records be made public. However, in this case, Illinois law allows defendants in certain circumstances to request that public records remain sealed. Smollett chose to pursue that avenue, and so my office is barred from releasing those records without his approval.

Another key factor is that the crime here was a Class 4 felony, the least serious category, which also covers things like falsely pulling a fire alarm in school and “draft card mutilation.” These felonies are routinely resolved, particularly in cases involving suspects with no prior criminal record, long before a case ever nears a courtroom and often without either jail time or monetary penalties. Any prosecutor, law-enforcement leader or elected official not grandstanding or clouded by political expediency understands the purpose of sentencing guidelines.

But more important than the dispassionate legal justification, there was another reason that I believe our decision not to prosecute the case was the right one.

Yes, falsely reporting a hate crime makes me angry, and anyone who does that deserves the community’s outrage. But, as I’ve said since before I was elected, we must separate the people at whom we are angry from the people of whom we are afraid. I am angry at anyone who falsely reports a crime. I am afraid when I see a little girl shot dead while sitting on her mother’s lap. I am afraid when I see a CPD commander slain by a four-time felon who was walking the streets. I am also afraid when I see CPD resources used to initially cover up the shooting death of Laquan McDonald.

I was elected on a promise to rethink the justice system, to keep people out of prison who do not pose a danger to the community. I promised to spend my office’s finite resources on the most serious crimes in order to create communities that are both safer and fairer...

Since it seems politically expedient right now to question my motives and actions, and those of my office, let me state publicly and clearly that I welcome an outside, nonpolitical review of how we handled this matter...
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...329-story.html

In a nutshell, according to her: The evidence probably isn't good enough to convict him and besides that the offense is relatively minor and he shouldn't be jailed.
Old 30th March 2019, 09:47 AM   #3421
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The bill from Chicago is $130,106.15.

It has been reported that the true costs are really around $150,000.
Old 30th March 2019, 10:05 AM   #3422
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The hot sauce bottle is the only physical evidence that we have seen and that is only because a reporter found it and took pictures. Well, maybe the fingernail scratches on his face are evidence.

Here is the video story of how the hot sauce bottle was found as told by the female reporter from New York. It is interesting. Be prepared to pause and replay because she talks at 450 miles per hour...

How I pissed off the Chicago PD by finding key evidence in the Smollett case

Originally Posted by New York Post
While investigating the site where Jussie Smollett claimed he became the victim of a hate crime, New York Post correspondent Gabrielle Fonrouge discovered an empty hot sauce bottle. This is her first-person account of how that discovery ended up becoming a key piece of evidence in the case, and how she found herself caught in the middle of a story that captured the nation’s attention.
https://nypost.com/video/how-i-pisse...smollett-case/
Old 30th March 2019, 10:19 AM   #3423
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The hot sauce bottle is the only physical evidence that we have seen and that is only because a reporter found it and took pictures. Well, maybe the fingernail scratches on his face are evidence.

Here is the video story of how the hot sauce bottle was found as told by the female reporter from New York. It is interesting. Be prepared to pause and replay because she talks at 450 miles per hour...

How I pissed off the Chicago PD by finding key evidence in the Smollett case

https://nypost.com/video/how-i-pisse...smollett-case/
She talks normal speed for the Great Northeast, but has that Valley Girl rising thing at the end of sentences that makes them all sound like questions. Not that I'd absolutely kill her for that immediately after meeting her, mind you.

So: hot sauce bottle conspiracy fun! Reporter says she strolled across it and touched it before setting it back down. Checked it out with CPD later.

Sounds like she planted it herself, with the early visit to explain what she was doing there (possibly on street video, though not caught at that exact location because we understand no cameras were pointing there) and why her prints/DNA were on it. Has this been somehow ruled out? Seems more plausible than the cops completely missing the one piece of evidence at the scene, and the glass bottle still being at the bottom of a set of stairs unbroken 10 days later.

eta; forgot, the Osindarios confirmed it was their bottle after being shown a pic, not before. I don't have any halos over their heads, and seriously; Smollett and the cops went to that utterly abandoned street and didn't see the freaking bottle right in front of them?

Wasn't there was also an amateur video made tracing his route that filmed that area clearly, panning the ground at the attack scene, before the bottle was found, and did not show this prop? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by Thermal; 30th March 2019 at 10:36 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 11:09 AM   #3424
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
She talks normal speed for the Great Northeast, but has that Valley Girl rising thing at the end of sentences that makes them all sound like questions. Not that I'd absolutely kill her for that immediately after meeting her, mind you.

So: hot sauce bottle conspiracy fun! Reporter says she strolled across it and touched it before setting it back down. Checked it out with CPD later.

Sounds like she planted it herself, with the early visit to explain what she was doing there (possibly on street video, though not caught at that exact location because we understand no cameras were pointing there) and why her prints/DNA were on it. Has this been somehow ruled out? Seems more plausible than the cops completely missing the one piece of evidence at the scene, and the glass bottle still being at the bottom of a set of stairs unbroken 10 days later.

eta; forgot, the Osindarios confirmed it was their bottle after being shown a pic, not before. I don't have any halos over their heads, and seriously; Smollett and the cops went to that utterly abandoned street and didn't see the freaking bottle right in front of them?

Wasn't there was also an amateur video made tracing his route that filmed that area clearly, panning the ground at the attack scene, before the bottle was found, and did not show this prop? Inquiring minds want to know.
My guess, GUESS mind you, is Smollett took the bottle with him after the "attack" expressly so it wouldn't/couldn't be found. Then as questions of the "attack" itself were being raised, he decided it best if it was found after all and planted it in plain sight. I speculate this based on the aforementioned video of the alleged "attack" location and it's conspicuous absence at that time, only to be found 10 days later.

Last edited by Mike!; 30th March 2019 at 11:11 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 11:12 AM   #3425
sadhatter
Philosopher

It's not that big of a deal. Wow that is exactly what I got from the statement from Fox.

For all the innocent black guys locked up, this is the one where evidence is in the least abundance?

**** this guy and anyone who helped him.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 11:15 AM   #3426
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Smollett was a no-show for the NAACP Awards. Also the brothers' training business is booming from all the publicity.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...CP-awards.html
Old 30th March 2019, 11:23 AM   #3427
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Smollett was a no-show for the NAACP Awards. Also the brothers' training business is booming from all the publicity.

Originally Posted by From the Article
The Osundairo brothers - both accused of robbery and of a hate crime - now say their personal training business is flying thanks to the increased publicity
Where did robbery accusations come from?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 11:25 AM   #3428
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

They stole Jussie's soul.
Old 30th March 2019, 11:29 AM   #3429
Whip
Graduate Poster

Kim Foxx has this to say...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...329-story.html

In a nutshell, according to her: The evidence probably isn't good enough to convict him and besides that the offense is relatively minor and he shouldn't be jailed.
you missed the whole reason to repeat what she has said already. the ability to now throw this out there and make the cops look bad again:

Quote:
I am also afraid when I see CPD resources used to initially cover up the shooting death of Laquan McDonald.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 11:33 AM   #3430
Whip
Graduate Poster

They stole Jussie's soul.
that's funny right there
Old 30th March 2019, 11:46 AM   #3431
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I have never seen Chicago so united in criticizing an idiotic political decision...
This one is straight out of the Silver Linings Playbook!

And so is this!

Looks like Jusse's putting on a Silver Linings clinic!

Jusse Smollett the Great Uniter.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 12:50 PM   #3432
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Where did robbery accusations come from?
Can't find any support for the robbery claim, so I'm guessing that's just another Daily Fail. Also that article states they are accused with a hate crime and that's no longer true as far as I can tell either. I'm not even sure they were ever formally accused of a hate crime even.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 01:26 PM   #3433
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Can't find any support for the robbery claim, so I'm guessing that's just another Daily Fail. Also that article states they are accused with a hate crime and that's no longer true as far as I can tell either. I'm not even sure they were ever formally accused of a hate crime even.
A Hate Crime, or Staging a Hate Crime? One extra word could make a huge difference. A lot of modern media is guilty of the crime of omission.
Old 30th March 2019, 01:41 PM   #3434
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

they are accused with a hate crime and that's no longer true as far as I can tell either.
The article, for this statement, would be using the perspective of Smollett. Jussie would say that the two brothers verbally and physically assaulted him and they were yelling racial and homophobic words. That's a hate crime.
Old 30th March 2019, 01:45 PM   #3435
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The article, for this statement, would be using the perspective of Smollett. Jussie would say that the two brothers verbally and physically assaulted him and they were yelling racial and homophobic words. That's a hate crime.
I'm just glad Jussie was able to fight those two little wimps off, even though they roped him like a calf, and I'm glad he kept his salad and sandwich.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 01:50 PM   #3436
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
A Hate Crime, or Staging a Hate Crime? One extra word could make a huge difference. A lot of modern media is guilty of the crime of omission.

I would think at the moment that "accused of faking a hate crime" wouldn't be quite right either. I think they've moved on to "confessed to faking a hate crime". To me, describing them as "accused" now implies they might still face legal charges and that doesn't seem to be the case. AFAIK they are dealing straight and will keep whatever deal saved them from prosecution.

Old 30th March 2019, 01:54 PM   #3437
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I'm just glad Jussie was able to fight those two little wimps off, even though they roped him like a calf, and I'm glad he kept his salad and sandwich.
The salad doesn't get nearly enough attention here
Old 30th March 2019, 02:12 PM   #3438
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I would think at the moment that "accused of faking a hate crime" wouldn't be quite right either. I think they've moved on to "confessed to faking a hate crime". To me, describing them as "accused" now implies they might still face legal charges and that doesn't seem to be the case. AFAIK they are dealing straight and will keep whatever deal saved them from prosecution.
Smollett is accusing the brothers of a hate crime.

The Daily Mail article reflects that.
Old 30th March 2019, 02:21 PM   #3439
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Smollett is accusing the brothers of a hate crime.

The Daily Mail article reflects that.
Can you cite that? Hopefully from a reliable source.

The Daily Mail article says that Smollett's lawyers doesn't accept that the Osundairo brothers were involved in the attack.

Quote:
Despite her possible explanations for the statements, she questioned if it even was the pair who attacked Smollett in the first place.
She does seem to be speaking out of both sides of her mouth since she also "explained" how they could have been mistaken for white.

Old 30th March 2019, 02:48 PM   #3440
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

She doesn't think they were the attackers? That means the attackers entirely escaped all of the video cameras. It also means the brothers just happened to be out there in the bitter cold at 2am at the same time Jussie was there. What a coincidence.

Seems odd to push the whiteface story if you don't think they were the attackers.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events