ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:17 PM   #3481
xjx388
Philosopher

horrifying attack on Jussie Smollett

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
We've seen the tendency in many states to let a lot of crimes go unpunished. So why not just let this go?

The latest DA to announce that many crimes will not be prosecuted is in Massachusetts.

https://rollins4da.com/policy/charges-to-be-declined/

So theft under $250 would not be prosecuted on her watch? Beautiful! I hope she’s DA when I’m visiting there and stealing some AirPods...

Look, I get it. Some crimes have circumstances that warrant dropping charges or diversion. But Smollett’s actions here don’t seem to have any mitigating circumstances. He’s not poor, disadvantaged or had a good reason. This was a stunt to garner attention for a very selfish reason and it hinged on his status as a gay black man. It might cause (has caused?) people to question the motives of any other gay/black people with legitimate complaints. This is one they should have thrown the book at.
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:35 PM   #3482
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
We've seen the tendency in many states to let a lot of crimes go unpunished. So why not just let this go?

The latest DA to announce that many crimes will not be prosecuted is in Massachusetts.

https://rollins4da.com/policy/charges-to-be-declined/
What circumstances do you feel warrent letting this go?

Should anyone be able to file a false hate crime report and get away with it? And do you believe hate crimes only should be exempt from false reporting penalties , or should we just do away with the concept of punishing false reports all together?

Personally I don't think this choice would improve the justice system. I feel that changing the law to allow more false reporting would lead to more people using it to resolve disputes. If I can't get in trouble , why wouldn't I call the police and say my neighbor is molesting his kids? Worst case he has to be healed by the police, best case I never have to deal with him.

Or are what you saying that Jussie Smollett should be able to get away with this crime? Then the question becomes what do you feel makes him special? He has done this before so he has a history, and I can't see any factors here that would lens themselves to mitigation or even sympathy.

Or, do you believe only famous people should be able to get away with false reporting? Again I don't see how this would help society. And in fact with their influence and power, I would believe this would be even worse.

Or is this simply a case of special pleading? Essentially " this case is unique in an indefinable way, so while changing the law wouldn't be appropriate, I feel this situation should be handled in a specific way. ". This I believe is the most likely situation in your case, you feel gross being on the same side as trump supporters so you really want something to make that go away.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:37 PM   #3483
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly? I'd be willing to trade an admission of guilt for a slap on the wrist.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:41 PM   #3484
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Honestly? I'd be willing to trade an admission of guilt for a slap on the wrist.
Add in paying back every penny wasted, plus about that amount in fines (whatever the fine would normally be, adjusted for his income. ) , and id agree with you.

He wasted money that is needed for real emergencies (que someone passing an article about wasteful spending and equating that to this. Not you, but someone wants to. ) bare minimum is an admission and pay back with a DBAA fee high enough to make him regret the decision.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 04:40 PM   #3485
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I think it is the lack of admission of responsibility that is bothering me the most with Smollett.

I'd be a lot more lenient if he'd admit responsibility and do some actual community service time. Maybe in a shelter or at a food bank.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 04:58 PM   #3486
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He cried on Good Morning America when talking about the attack.

If he confesses or accepts responsibility it's like he would also now have to say he needs psychiatric counseling. He can't do that.
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:13 PM   #3487
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
He cried on Good Morning America when talking about the attack.

If he confesses or accepts responsibility it's like he would also now have to say he needs psychiatric counseling. He can't do that.
Of course he can. Psychiatric counseling is an easy dodge.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:24 PM   #3488
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He can't say that he has a mental problem. The focus has to strictly be on white racists and homophobes with none of the focus on his own problems. THEY have to stop what they are doing - not HIM.
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:31 PM   #3489
p0lka
Graduate Poster

I'm all for leniency when faced with people committing crimes just to stay alive, but this dude isn't trying to stay alive, isn't hungry, is already in a position that does't have to worry about being hungry...he's taking the piss and made a mockery of real victims.

**** him and the horse he rode in on.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:58 PM   #3490
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Police publicly made multiple, contradictory, claims to the public at large. That alone pretty much kills any chance of obtaining a conviction - tainted jury. They also apparently contradicted the FBI's view on the letter, and the two brothers stated that the check they put forward as payment for the attack was, indeed, for training.

There's also the low public confidence in Chicago police's work - among other issues, there's the long-running "black site" where confessions were literally tortured out of people, the habit of picking random kids up and then dropping them off in more dangerous territory (often, in the territory of gangs that rival the gangs that they live in the territory of), and sitting on the Laquan McDonald shooting video for over a year to help get Rahm Emanuel reelected - this is such a scandal that he didn't even bother running for another term.

And then there's the wildly over-the-top charges - 16 counts, when they didn't even charge the three police who helped cover up the aforementioned McDonald shooting?

Basically, the CPD is so crappy that there was little chance of getting any conviction, much less the decades of prison time they wanted.

Hilariously, police, and Emanuel, are claiming that it's actually Smollett that has ruined their reputation, which only confirms that they're still entirely unaware of the problem.
You know nothing about Chicago, Kim Foxx's mentor is getting absolutely destroyed right now. The election is 75 to 25 against Preckwinkle Foxx is getting destroyed right now. In Chicago.

People who actually live in Chicago are presently rejecting the race grifters.

By the way, not one of those things you cited would ever in a million years be admitted at trial, even with an incompetent like Foxx in charge.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:03 AM   #3491
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Police publicly made multiple, contradictory, claims to the public at large. That alone pretty much kills any chance of obtaining a conviction - tainted jury. They also apparently contradicted the FBI's view on the letter, and the two brothers stated that the check they put forward as payment for the attack was, indeed, for training.

There's also the low public confidence in Chicago police's work - among other issues, there's the long-running "black site" where confessions were literally tortured out of people, the habit of picking random kids up and then dropping them off in more dangerous territory (often, in the territory of gangs that rival the gangs that they live in the territory of), and sitting on the Laquan McDonald shooting video for over a year to help get Rahm Emanuel reelected - this is such a scandal that he didn't even bother running for another term.

And then there's the wildly over-the-top charges - 16 counts, when they didn't even charge the three police who helped cover up the aforementioned McDonald shooting?

Basically, the CPD is so crappy that there was little chance of getting any conviction, much less the decades of prison time they wanted.

Hilariously, police, and Emanuel, are claiming that it's actually Smollett that has ruined their reputation, which only confirms that they're still entirely unaware of the problem.
Good lord is all I can say.

I realise that the US has some violent cities, and with that come more violent police, but dammit I admit I'm sometimes shocked.

Was it Baltimore that recently had a cabal of cops robbing drug dealers of their stash and then forcing other drug dealers to sell it for them? Crazy stuff.
Old 3rd April 2019, 06:03 AM   #3492
carlitos
"más divertido"

Given that Mr Smolett was treated with kid gloves and no one took him to a black site for interrogation, maybe the long and tragic history of the CPD has no bearing on this highly public case?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 06:36 AM   #3493
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Given that Mr Smolett was treated with kid gloves and no one took him to a black site for interrogation, maybe the long and tragic history of the CPD has no bearing on this highly public case?
since the cops are viewed as being so bad, what will anyone see when they are doing the right thing?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:25 AM   #3494
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
since the cops are viewed as being so bad, what will anyone see when they are doing the right thing?
Handle things well, and the case may go very well. wildly overcharge, while the higher-ups attack and complain on tv, and contradict themselves...then, prosecutors will have a *much* more difficult time. There isn't even a need for anyone in defense to bring it up - jurors show up with it in the back of minds.

Think this is nothing? The police chief in the George Zimmerman case managed to ruin his PD's reputation across the country just by getting a bunch of things wrong in press conferences, and ended up resigning.

I'll point out, though, that Chicago PD pass along, what, 20% of murder cases to prosecutors (or is that the local Baltimore PD)? People don't just forget when entire institutions repeatedly show themselves to be corrupt.

Last edited by Mumbles; 3rd April 2019 at 08:08 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:56 AM   #3495
The Big Dog

Handle things well, and the case may go very well. wildly overcharge, while the higher-ups attack and complain on tv, and contradict themselves...then, prosecutors will have a *much* more difficult time.
lol, the prosecutors went to the grand jury, not the cops.

Hoo boy, just spreading wrong information in the defense of a total pariah.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:21 AM   #3496
carlitos
"más divertido"

The new Chicago mayor should be a step in the right direction in the continued evolution of the CPD. She's an ex-prosecutor, but also a key member and proponent of the Police Accountability Task Force. Seems like more than the typical fig leaf in her case.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:23 AM   #3497
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The new Chicago mayor should be a step in the right direction in the continued evolution of the CPD. She's an ex-prosecutor, but also a key member and proponent of the Police Accountability Task Force. Seems like more than the typical fig leaf in her case.
Explain how this relates to Smollett. Will she be okay if he doesn't pay the $130,000? Will she pursue him legally until he pays?
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:26 AM   #3498
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Was it Baltimore that recently had a cabal of cops robbing drug dealers of their stash and then forcing other drug dealers to sell it for them? Crazy stuff.
The Gun Trace Task Force, yes. Had toy guns, so that in case they shot and killed a child they could plant it on the kid, one guy had multiple machetes and a grappling hook, etc. Federal prosecutors (I tend to trust them far more than any local force) described them as less a group that grew corrupt, and more the most corrupt cops they could find, all put on one group.

ETA: There are far better cases where far better police still managed to botch things up to the point where people got off without conviction - such as the Bundy family, or the recent failure to convict anyone in the Waco biker gang fight (which left 9 people dead). This was initially true for the Danzinger Bridge murders as well. This one? Smollett would almost certainly skate, either found "not guilty", or by the CPD heads prejudicing the jury.

Last edited by Mumbles; 3rd April 2019 at 09:50 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:02 PM   #3499
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

ETA: There are far better cases where far better police still managed to botch things up to the point where people got off without conviction - such as the Bundy family, or the recent failure to convict anyone in the Waco biker gang fight (which left 9 people dead). This was initially true for the Danzinger Bridge murders as well. This one? Smollett would almost certainly skate, either found "not guilty", or by the CPD heads prejudicing the jury.
I was sort of thinking this. Especially after hearing that all of the charges were dropped in the Waco biker gang fight.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:19 PM   #3500
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

New Chicago Mayor seems tough on Smollett. And another "emergency hearing" tomorrow...

Lori Lightfoot: Smollett should "be held accountable"; Foxx owes public "more information"

Originally Posted by CWB Chicago
Fresh off her victory to become Chicago’s next mayor, Lori Lightfoot on Wednesday again said the public deserves a better explanation of how the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office resolved the Jussie Smollett case. Lightfoot went on to say that the public had seen “a very compelling case” that Smollett “staged a hoax.”

“He’s got to be held accountable,” said Lightfoot, the first openly gay person and the first black woman to be elected mayor in the city, in an interview on MSNBC.

The state’s attorney’s office, headed by Kim Foxx, “has to give a much more fulsome explanation. We cannot create the perception that if you’re rich or famous or both that you got one set of justice and for everybody else, it’s something much harsher. That won’t do, and we need to make sure that we have a criminal justice system that has integrity.”

“The state’s attorney’s office has to provide more information about the rationale for the decision to drop the charges,” Lightfoot continued.

Turning to the alleged hate crime itself, the former federal prosecutor pointed to the publicly-available evidence: “I saw…a very compelling case, with videotapes, witness statements, and other information that looked like he had staged a hoax. And if that happens, he’s got to be held accountable.”

Meanwhile, CWBChicago sources have said that another “emergency hearing” in the Smollett matter is scheduled for Thursday. Details regarding the subject matter and who requested the hearing were not immediately available.
http://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/04/li...d-be-held.html
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:32 PM   #3501
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

New Chicago Mayor seems tough on Smollett. And another "emergency hearing" tomorrow...

Lori Lightfoot: Smollett should "be held accountable"; Foxx owes public "more information"

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/04/li...d-be-held.html
So one gay black wants to hold another gay/black's feet to the fire? Kind of makes me think the actual crime was not a gay/black thing.

Last edited by casebro; 3rd April 2019 at 02:37 PM.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 09:07 AM   #3502
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Today is the deadline for Jussie Smollet to pay $130,000 for investigation costs

Originally Posted by CNN
Thursday is the deadline for actor Jussie Smollett to pay the $130,106.15 bill sent to him by the city of Chicago to cover the cost of the investigation into his claim he was the victim of a possible hate crime.

In a letter sent to the "Empire" actor on March 28, the city's corporation counsel said that if he didn't pay in the next seven days, he might be prosecuted using Chicago's municipal code or other legal remedies.

"The city feels this is a reasonable and legally justifiable amount to collect to help offset the costs of the investigation," city spokesman Bill McCaffrey said.

The letter was sent after a prosecutor unexpectedly dropped 16 felony disorderly conduct charges against Smollett, who was accused of staging the attack on himself.

CNN is trying to reach the actor's attorneys. Previously, they declined to comment on the letter and referred CNN to an earlier statement that said Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson should apologize to Smollett...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/04/us/ju...ill/index.html
Old 4th April 2019, 10:03 AM   #3503
Thermal
Philosopher

Mebbe he could borrow from the Osundario brothers to pay the bill. I hear biz is booming.
Old 4th April 2019, 10:09 AM   #3504
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Mebbe he could borrow from the Osundario brothers to pay the bill. I hear biz is booming.
I heard he was on his way to the court house to pay the fine, but then these two guys wearing MAGA hats jumped out and took the money...

Old 4th April 2019, 10:10 AM   #3505
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I heard he was on his way to the court house to pay the fine, but then these two guys wearing MAGA hats jumped out and took the money...
Shoulda hid it in his sandwich.
Old 4th April 2019, 10:32 AM   #3506
Senex
Philosopher

Those same MAGA hat guys have been stealing beer from me at night for years and leaving empties all over. The Chicago police better get their act together and get these guys before my beer expenses get any worse.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 10:35 AM   #3507
Thermal
Philosopher

MAGAninjas are sooooo last month. MAGA pirates are what the hip kids are being attacked by.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Shoulda hid it in his sandwich.
Salad. Money camouflages better in salad.

Seriously, what is with you guys dissing the salad?
Old 4th April 2019, 11:03 AM   #3508
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
Those same MAGA hat guys have been stealing beer from me at night for years and leaving empties all over. The Chicago police better get their act together and get these guys before my beer expenses get any worse.
Try putting bleach in one of your beer bottles.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
MAGAninjas are sooooo last month. MAGA pirates are what the hip kids are being attacked by.
At least MAGA pirates seem to be real. For San Francisco definitions of "real".

Quote:
Salad. Money camouflages better in salad.

Seriously, what is with you guys dissing the salad?
I apologize for my insensitivity. You're absolutely right about the salad. Mix some cheddar into that lettuce, right?
Old 4th April 2019, 11:52 AM   #3509
Ernie M
Muse

Equal justice for all is a bunch of hooey.

People of wealth, power, or other status, and who know someone who is well-connected, can get preferential treatment in the criminal justice system. The well-connected have advantages not afforded to others.

SOME WAYS INFORMATION HAS BEEN KEPT FROM THE PUBLIC

An “emergency” hearing was held
On March 26, 2019, the hearing, the case, was not on the regularly scheduled court call. This meant that the public had no reasonable notice or opportunity to view the proceedings. 1

Uncontested sealing of court records
I'm not certain, but it may be that "the process employed by the State's Attorney effectively denied law enforcement agencies of legally required Notice (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(4)) and the legal opportunity to object to the sealing of the file (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(5)). The State’s Attorney not only declined to fight the sealing of this case in court, but then provided false information to the public regarding it." That all according to the Illinois Prosecutors Bar Association.2

There's no public, on the record explanation of why records were sealed
Attorney Brown Holmes, for defendant Jussie Smollett, asked "that the Court immediately seal the records."

The Judge did not read the motion to out loud, so there's no documentation as to why the court records were sealed.

Brown Holmes answered yes to having the order, and the Judge, after granting the State's motion to Nolle Pros, and after granting the State's motion to release D-Bond to the City of Chicago, the Judge simply said, "Motion, defendant, for immediate sealing of the criminal records will be granted as well." 3

The sealing order was not made public.

Little was said during that short, "emergency" hearing, so there's little public information about anything. It is not clear to me why it might take the Judge weeks–until late May–before he makes a statement about whether to unseal the records, when the "emergency" hearing lasted about five minutes.

Sources:

1, 2. Roupas, Lee. President, Illinois Prosecutor's Bar Association. "IPBA Statement on Jussie Smollett Case Dismissal." ilpba.org, 28 Mar 2019. Accessed from URL www. ilpba.org/announcements/7249825 4 April 2019.

3. WGN Web Desk. "Read the full transcript from Jussie Smollett’s court appearance." wgntv.com. 27 March 2019. Accessed from URL wgntv.com/2019/03/27/read-the-full-transcript-from-jussie-smolletts-court-appearance/ on 4 April 2019.

There is little-to-no transparency in the Jussie Smollett case.

Posted about 2:59 p.m. (EDT) Thursday, 4 April 2019 by Ernie Marsh

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 01:52 PM   #3510
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

But isn't there a new hearing this week? Unsealing, probably?

eta: (From post 3500 above) ".....Meanwhile, CWBChicago sources have said that another “emergency hearing” in the Smollett matter is scheduled for Thursday. Details regarding the subject matter and who requested the hearing were not immediately available."

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/04/li...d-be-held.html"

So maybe we will learn somehtiung today. Just in time, this thread was slowing down.

Last edited by casebro; 4th April 2019 at 01:57 PM.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 02:10 PM   #3511
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
But isn't there a new hearing this week? Unsealing, probably?

eta: (From post 3500 above) ".....Meanwhile, CWBChicago sources have said that another “emergency hearing” in the Smollett matter is scheduled for Thursday. Details regarding the subject matter and who requested the hearing were not immediately available."

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/04/li...d-be-held.html"

So maybe we will learn somehtiung today. Just in time, this thread was slowing down.
I have a feeling that the "emergency hearing" mentioned by CWB Chicago is one of two things we already now know for today...

1) The $130,000 is due today.

2) The local police union voted "no confidence" for Kim Foxx.
Old 4th April 2019, 02:56 PM   #3512
Whip
Graduate Poster

and laundered it with bleach right?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 05:47 PM   #3513
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The city of Chicago has announced that they will now sue because Smollett has missed the payment deadline. The story is everywhere so just pick your favorite news venue.
Old 4th April 2019, 06:01 PM   #3514
pharphis
Master Poster

Here's a link from google
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...hoax-1.5085520
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 12:40 AM   #3515
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

The city of Chicago has announced that they will now sue because Smollett has missed the payment deadline. The story is everywhere so just pick your favorite news venue.

Squandering a huge windfall because you have ADHD and constantly screw up all things having to do with administration? I can relate!
This is why my wife handles all the financial stuff.
Old 5th April 2019, 01:53 AM   #3516
mgidm86
Philosopher

Cool, more Smollett episodes on the way! It's my favorite sit-com!

Jussie, you are a frickin' gold mine of entertainment! Favorite thread ever!

I'd pay into a GoFundMe just to help keep the wackiness going. The dude is amazing, way better than any Netflix Original

So is this like a civil suit, because he was never found guilty of a crime. Can a city do this? I hope so.

Total cliche, but you couldn't make this crap up! Chicago PD, Foxx, Rahm, the Tchen connection, the Obama link, the brothers, it's brilliant. Pulp Fiction on acid stupid pills.
Old 5th April 2019, 02:26 AM   #3517
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Cool, more Smollett episodes on the way! It's my favorite sit-com!

Jussie, you are a frickin' gold mine of entertainment! Favorite thread ever!

I'd pay into a GoFundMe just to help keep the wackiness going. The dude is amazing, way better than any Netflix Original

So is this like a civil suit, because he was never found guilty of a crime. Can a city do this? I hope so.

Total cliche, but you couldn't make this crap up! Chicago PD, Foxx, Rahm, the Tchen connection, the Obama link, the brothers, it's brilliant. Pulp Fiction on acid stupid pills.
With any luck, this will stretch decades like the OJ case. Multiple lawsuits, a self-published book with veiled admissions of guilt, impulsive criminal activity that leads to totally avoidable jailtime etc etc.

Who am I kidding? It's never going to be that good. OJ was more charismatic, more accomplished, a more important cultural icon who committed a much worse crime and escaped the consequences in a much more dramatic way.

The Smollet thing has the feel of a Coen Brother's comedy. Stupid person cooks up dump plot for idiotic reasons and involves stupid people to help him. It all goes south, but thankfully the stupid people investigating him are part of a stupid system and clumsily drop the ball. What did it all mean in the end? Who knows? Probably nothing. The end.

Last edited by Eddie Dane; 5th April 2019 at 02:27 AM.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 04:09 AM   #3518
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
Wow, $130,000.

I mean, if they're looking for savings, Chicago's paid out $370,000,000 in the past six years for police brutality, but, you know...130k is good enough.
Old 5th April 2019, 05:24 AM   #3519
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I hope she’s DA when I’m visiting there and stealing some AirPods...
It would be a crime to squander your get-out-of-jail-free card on...Airpods!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 07:24 AM   #3520
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, $130,000.

I mean, if they're looking for savings, Chicago's paid out $370,000,000 in the past six years for police brutality, but, you know...130k is good enough.
It's the dollar value that rankles? I figured you'd be more upset about the city suing the victim of a crime, for reporting that crime to the police.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events