ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old 19th October 2020, 06:36 PM   #2041
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Anyway, the upshot, for me, is this: Up until very recently, her activism has seemed relatively simplistic and immature. It has depended in large part on the support and enablement of the adults around her, and the adults celebrating her in various ways. There's been a lot of enthusiasm, and idealism, and the kind of righteous anger we often find in teenagers. But not a lot of the experience and wisdom we'd expect from someone with many years of adulthood behind them.

That's not going to change in three months, no matter what we do or do not call her, in the eyes of the law or in any other eyes.
Fair enough, but I was specifically responding to people who up until now have been referring to her as a child. They haven't said that her behaviour is childish - actually some have now that I think about it - they have been calling her a child and pointing out that she is legally under the age of majority. They will only be able to continue to do that for less than three months, then they must stop because they will be factually wrong.

Anyway - I don't feel that the concerns of teenagers - or even children - should be dismissed just because they are young and have less life experience. It's partly because of that that she started doing what she did in the first place. I don't know if you remember being condescended to by adults because I was young, but I do. It wasn't nice.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:37 PM   #2042
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Anyone being condescending isn't nice.

Respect is earned and teens to young adults usually haven't earned all that much of it just yet.
Still no reason to be cruel however.

As for Miss Greta she has suffered a few cruel lessons in life in her activism. Being used to make some leader look concerned when in reality nothing was going to change soon was bad.

Maybe she can adjust her approach now and apply her presence to more effective things. More practical things we can do now without tanking everything .
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 07:42 PM   #2043
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Respect is earned and teens to young adults usually haven't earned all that much of it just yet.
Respect means two different things. It means to afford a person admiration and esteem, but it also means to afford a person basic human dignity and courtesy. The former needs to be earned, but the latter does not.
Old 19th October 2020, 08:06 PM   #2044
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Correct Sir. I was referring to the first definition.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 08:14 PM   #2045
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Correct Sir. I was referring to the first definition.
And I had assumed you were. But my point was that it is usually unclear which definition a person is using when they use the word. Someone may use the second definition, and people respond as though they are using the first.

There are plenty of people, some of them here in this thread, who have not been affording Greta basic dignity and courtesy. Including, in my opinion, referring to her condescendingly as a child when she is in fact a teenager, very soon to reach the age of majority.
Old 19th October 2020, 10:03 PM   #2046
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Respect means two different things. It means to afford a person admiration and esteem, but it also means to afford a person basic human dignity and courtesy. The former needs to be earned, but the latter does not.
Respect can be unearned as well. One does not need to show respect to someone who has shown that they do not deserve that respect.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 04:53 AM   #2047
Stout
Illuminator

We went through this child thing last year and the takeaway was....We refer to her as a child because she constantly refers to herself as a child. It's part of her image, the innocent child who sees things in the way us mere mortals cannot.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 03:02 PM   #2048
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Mere " adult " mortals, with more years that a lot of people can ever expect to achieve..
Old 20th October 2020, 03:06 PM   #2049
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Respect can be unearned as well. One does not need to show respect to someone who has shown that they do not deserve that respect.
In my opinion, basic human dignity and compassion is something that all people are entitled to, even those that I vehemently disagree with.

Someone can, of course, lose my admiration and esteem.
Old 20th October 2020, 03:30 PM   #2050
Chanakya

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

That's a great thought. Very profound, if an orginal observation! Never really thought of it this way, that is, never explicitly analyzed it that way, but -- very true!

As you say, the former can be earned or, as 8enotto says, lost; while the latter remains, or should remain, always.

This is great, unexpectly profound, food for thought, actually. Think of the vilest person you've seen. A Trump for instance? Someone who's seemingly lost, through their own conduct, all right to respect. Is it only the former they've lost? Are we going overboard, over-reacting, in denying them even the latter kind of respect?

I'm not very sure what the answer is, or should be. But I'll chew on that one. Food for thought.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2020, 01:02 PM   #2051
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Mere " adult " mortals, with more years that a lot of people can ever expect to achieve..
That depends on the adult I guess. Most of her critics are clearly far more childish than she is and clearly far less capable of making logical fact based argument and far easier to manipulate than she is.
Old 24th October 2020, 02:33 AM   #2052
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
We went through this child thing last year and the takeaway was....We refer to her as a child because she constantly refers to herself as a child. It's part of her image, the innocent child who sees things in the way us mere mortals cannot.

Has she referred to herself as innocent, or is that your fabrication?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 02:38 AM   #2053
dann
Penultimate Amazing

She seems to have taken a stance against Sweden's corona consensus, i.e. 'Face masks dangerous.'
Thunbergs hårda kritik: "Vakna upp" (SvenskaDagbladet.se, Oct. 24, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 04:54 AM   #2054
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Has she referred to herself as innocent, or is that your fabrication?
Well, GHG emissions certainly aren't her fault, are they ?

No, of course not. It's yours.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 02:25 PM   #2055
dann
Penultimate Amazing

No, they aren't her fault - unless she farts an awful lot, and it's not something I've heard about her.
Old 25th October 2020, 07:42 AM   #2056
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

The answer lies in the soil
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events