ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st March 2017, 03:08 PM   #2081
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
I gathered it was "all" of them, a collective sort of thing. IIR, the children were boiled but adults were roasted. How the stock was treated was not mentioned. And don't call me Surely.
I just expect better cooking form continentals, is all. Thank you, surely.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 04:51 PM   #2082
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
I gathered it was "all" of them, a collective sort of thing. IIR, the children were boiled but adults were roasted. How the stock was treated was not mentioned. And don't call me Surely.
It does give a slightly different spin to adults addressing children as "dumpling." Mmmm.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 06:38 PM   #2083
Steve
Master Poster

I like the direction this thread is taking.
Old 21st March 2017, 07:52 PM   #2084
Thor 2
Master Poster

All this talk about how to cook babies brings this to mind.

Examining if God was good and Satan bad we can have a look at what has been done by the followers as an indication.

We all know about the enormous number of people killed by God's followers doing his work - many of these unfortunates were burnt at the stake. Mind you the ones doing the burning, I have read, thought they were doing the victim a favor, because burning had some magical effect of cleansing the victim, thus ensuring a ticket into Heaven.

Does anyone have any figures of how many have been killed by those doing Satan's work?
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 08:54 PM   #2085
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post

Examining if God was good and Satan bad we can have a look at what has been done by the followers as an indication.

We all know about the enormous number of people killed by God's followers doing his work - many of these unfortunates were burnt at the stake. Mind you the ones doing the burning, I have read, thought they were doing the victim a favor, because burning had some magical effect of cleansing the victim, thus ensuring a ticket into Heaven.

Does anyone have any figures of how many have been killed by those doing Satan's work?
Of course one of the advantages of doctrine is that you can label things as you wish, so that's going to depend on whether you presume Satan signs his work as God does. But the prince of lies is not under such obligation, so if you identify certain tyrants as satanic, you can tally up quite a score. Now in the context of this thread, it's kind of circular, since we can always just label everything bad as satanic, and then use it to prove that everything satanic is bad, but that's nothing very new.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 02:03 AM   #2086
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

That is difficult to assess, but let us use the bible as a reference. God kills plenty in the bible, but not all are directly specified in terms of numbers of dead. If one counts only the ones that are enumerated, one arrives at a figure of 2.8 million thereabouts. Note that this figure does not include things like Noah's flood whereby everyone and everything was killed in the entire world barring those few happy survivors Noah crammed onto his disfunctional ark.

Applying the same to satan, you get to 10. Final tally?

God: 2,800,000 approx plus countless millions of John/Jane does

Satan: 10

Hmm. Only 10? Who were those 10? They were Job's children, and satan killed them with god's blessing in order to set up a dumb wager with god.
Old 22nd March 2017, 05:06 PM   #2087
Thor 2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
That is difficult to assess, but let us use the bible as a reference. God kills plenty in the bible, but not all are directly specified in terms of numbers of dead. If one counts only the ones that are enumerated, one arrives at a figure of 2.8 million thereabouts. Note that this figure does not include things like Noah's flood whereby everyone and everything was killed in the entire world barring those few happy survivors Noah crammed onto his disfunctional ark.

Applying the same to satan, you get to 10. Final tally?

God: 2,800,000 approx plus countless millions of John/Jane does

Satan: 10

Hmm. Only 10? Who were those 10? They were Job's children, and satan killed them with god's blessing in order to set up a dumb wager with god.

Thanks for the figures abaddon but I was really wondering about the killings in more recent times. The ones we know about like The Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, and Witch Burning rather than those in the book of fiction.

Haven't read much about killings by Satanists during this time. Lots of nasty stuff being done by God's little helpers but not so much by Satan's little helpers.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:36 PM   #2088
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for the figures abaddon but I was really wondering about the killings in more recent times. The ones we know about like The Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, and Witch Burning rather than those in the book of fiction.

Haven't read much about killings by Satanists during this time. Lots of nasty stuff being done by God's little helpers but not so much by Satan's little helpers.
yes but....you'll have trouble winning this one against the true believers, if they decide to declare all who disagree with them as servants of Satan (as many do. We see it in these forums from time to time, don't we?). The advantage of doctrine is that you can even call people who claim to be servants of God as Satanists if they displease you. The faithful sacrifice Scotsmen with abandon.

Back in the final days of my first marriage, I formulated a general rule that has not failed since. You cannot win a pissing contest against an opponent who is full of it.

Old 22nd March 2017, 08:46 PM   #2089
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

But, don't forget, the Satanists almost took over the world by creating Dungeons and Dragons! I mean, that's gotta count for something, right?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:52 AM   #2090
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

To be fair though some of this is just demographics.

Of course Christians are going to kill more people then Satanist. Christians number in the billions and have massive social and political power and influence. Satanists, not so much.

Not that this really has all that much context or point but it's like saying more people die in Honda Accord crashes then Ford Edsel crashes. There's just a lot more of one of them.
Old 25th March 2017, 05:32 AM   #2091
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
But, don't forget, the Satanists almost took over the world by creating Dungeons and Dragons! I mean, that's gotta count for something, right?
And heavy metal music. My mom was convinced both were tools to brainwash me to become a Satanist. Really made it hard to enjoy two of my three favorite things to do when I was 12.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2017, 08:46 AM   #2092
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
And heavy metal music. My mom was convinced both were tools to brainwash me to become a Satanist. Really made it hard to enjoy two of my three favorite things to do when I was 12.
Two of the three? Your parents didn't consider girls Satanic either? I mean, why not make it a Trifecta of Sin, right?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2017, 08:56 AM   #2093
Beady
Philosopher

Two of the three? Your parents didn't consider girls Satanic either? I mean, why not make it a Trifecta of Sin, right?
I think this was in his pre-girl days. Think again.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 25th March 2017, 09:12 AM   #2094
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
I think this was in his pre-girl days. Think again.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Ah, gotcha!
Old 28th March 2017, 04:04 PM   #2095
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Browsing on the poetry shelf....

"The reason I believe God crucified His Own Son
To get out of the wretched tangle is, because it sounds just like Him
." (Edgar Lee Masters)

Old 28th March 2017, 06:44 PM   #2096
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, gotcha!
This forum is a poor medium to communicate innuendo.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy