ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st March 2017, 01:07 PM   #281
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Do you think appearance/skin colour had anything to do with any of these castings?
It did. It greatly missed the point of what acting is and is insulting to the artform.

But there is a long history of how producers and studios are anathema to art. I'm not adding anything new.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 01:09 PM   #282
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Visually, the actor's appearance is THE MOST defining attribute. Its the first thing you see before the actor even opens their mouth to speak his first line. Race may not be a factor, but skin colour
It is just completely sad in 2017 to hear that someone thinks this.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 01:22 PM   #283
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It is just completely sad in 2017 to hear that someone thinks this.
You really think its too much to ask that an actor cast in the role of a well known historical figure actually LOOKS LIKE the characters they are portraying.

It is just completely sad in 2017 to hear that political correctness has taken over the world so much that even in entertainment, we have to suffer the overt liberal platitudes of social justice warriors.

I genuinely feel sorry for you Bob the Coward, to have been so brainwashed by the namby pamby brigade that you actually don't care about realism any more.

PS: Don't *********** cherry pick parts of sentences in my posts to make them misleading

the WHOLE sentence you replied to here was

"Visually, the actor's appearance is THE MOST defining attribute. Its the first thing you see before the actor even opens their mouth to speak his first line. Race may not be a factor, but skin colour and tone is."

Last edited by smartcooky; 31st March 2017 at 01:26 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 01:27 PM   #284
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

You really think its too much to ask that an actor cast in the role of a well known historical figure actually LOOKS LIKE the characters they are portraying.

It is just completely sad in 2017 to hear that political correctness has taken over the world so much that even in entertainment, we have to suffer the overt liberal platitudes of social justice warriors.

I genuinely feel sorry for you Bob the Coward, to have been so brainwashed by the namby pamby brigade that you actually don't care about realism any more.
This has nothing to do with social justice. This is about art. I would rail against social justice efforts to define art for another artist, also.
Old 31st March 2017, 01:29 PM   #285
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

PS: Don't *********** cherry pick parts of sentences in my posts to make them misleading

the WHOLE sentence you replied to here was

"Visually, the actor's appearance is THE MOST defining attribute. Its the first thing you see before the actor even opens their mouth to speak his first line. Race may not be a factor, but skin colour and tone is."
I will do as I wish.

But that was caused by being on my phone and text highlights not being as sensitive as I wish and I didn't see it get deleted. I do apologise for that.
Old 31st March 2017, 05:11 PM   #286
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

I'm trying to imagine a version of "Game Of Thrones" in which there are multiple verbal references to what life has been like for Tyrion because he's a dwarf but he's not actually a dwarf, and people act like Gregor Clegane is unbeatable because he' so enormous and outlandishly strong but he's not actually big or strong at all...

Last edited by Delvo; 31st March 2017 at 06:26 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 05:16 PM   #287
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I'm trying to imagine a version of "Game Of Thrones" in which there are multiple verbal references to what life has been like for Tyrion because he's a dwarf but he's not actually a dwarf, and people act like Sandor Clegane is unbeatable because he' so enormous and outlandishly strong but he's not actually big or strong at all...
Now try to imagine a version of Game of Thrones in which they don't keep on talking about how Tyrion and Clegane are both white. As they do now, in the show. "The queen's conspirators are going to--oh gosh, you have pearly white skin, my lord--murderize the entire gathering with poisoned fire." And "Help! Help! I'm being beaten to death by The Hound, who is definitely Caucasian! Argh, my leg! My white, white leg, which matches his in hue, I'm assuming, under his armor!"
Old 31st March 2017, 05:27 PM   #288
Vixen
Philosopher

Visually, the actor's appearance is THE MOST defining attribute. Its the first thing you see before the actor even opens their mouth to speak his first line. Race may not be a factor, but skin colour and tone is.

There was a very good reason why Ben Kingsley was chosen to play Mahatma Ghandi...

... and it is not just because he is part Kenyan Indian.

First impressions are key!

Now who's being ridiculous

In order to play the part convincingly, the actor has to look the part. Cheadle would no more do that that than Mel Gibson would make a convincing MLK talking about his African roots.

Tell me, do you think it was racist to cast....

Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin
Albert Finney as Winston Churchill
David Oyelowo as Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
Bruno Ganz at Adolph Hitler
Robert Duvall as Joseph Stalin

Do you think that colour blind casting would have been OK for Alex Haley's "Roots", perhaps casting caucasians, asians, and amerinds in the roles of the slave Kunta Kinte and his descendents in the USA and black actors as plantation owners?

Do you think appearance/skin colour had anything to do with any of these castings?

I never realised that the actress who played Special Agent Vivian Johnson in "Without a Trace" (Marianne Jean-Baptiste) was English. She had a convincing Florida Cuban accent, and I just assumed she was American.

Years later, I see her turn up in Season 2 of "Broadchurch" as the lead defence council Sharon Bishop QC, which caused me to Google her.

Just because this is true for you, it is not necessarily so for everybody. When I did my psychology degree, we were made aware of a study wherein a large sample of people were asked to rate various photos and it transpired that those subjects from apartheid South Africa were the most race conscious of all, rather like Germans under the Third Reich being able to spot a Jew at twelve paces, according to an exhibition on propaganda at the British Library.

It was found that for most people the first thing one notices about another person is their gender. People brought up in a racist environment notice race first.

So, please do not assume others have the same sensitivities as you.
ja tähtösiä täynnä

Last edited by Vixen; 31st March 2017 at 05:30 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2017, 03:32 AM   #289
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Just because this is true for you, it is not necessarily so for everybody. When I did my psychology degree, we were made aware of a study wherein a large sample of people were asked to rate various photos and it transpired that those subjects from apartheid South Africa were the most race conscious of all, rather like Germans under the Third Reich being able to spot a Jew at twelve paces, according to an exhibition on propaganda at the British Library.

It was found that for most people the first thing one notices about another person is their gender. People brought up in a racist environment notice race first.
I'm sure this is all very interesting, but it has exactly nothing to do with what I am saying, because RACE is not what I am talking about, appearance is, and for your information, RACE has nothing to do with skin colour

In a historical drama about WW2, I expect the actors playing the parts of well-known historical figures to look at least something like the people portraying. This is not an unreasonable expectation. I also expect there to be as few anachronisms as possible, and this is not unreasonable either.

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st April 2017 at 03:38 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2017, 06:24 AM   #290
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

In a historical drama about WW2, I expect the actors playing the parts of well-known historical figures to look at least something like the people portraying. This is not an unreasonable expectation. I also expect there to be as few anachronisms as possible, and this is not unreasonable either.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events